Value of JG Catalog?
Author

Active Collector

Post Posted: Thu Feb 16, 2006 10:49 pm 

Plaag:  Two questions :

1)  How many total titles or items are in the JG catalog (not counting various reprints and editions of the same title) ??

2)  What would be a reasonable value for the value of the entire JG catalog (the cost of buying all the copyrights, rather like a certain pop star buying rights to all the Beatles songs) ??

This information would be of practical use to me

Geoff  :twisted:

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Fri Feb 17, 2006 3:12 am 

Well... I can tell you right out that unless you are prepared to offer an outrageous sum (such that in this market there wouldn't be a chance in hell of ever recouping the costs), the copyrights and trademarks are not for sale. Bob's not at all interested in selling the rights... he might license them out to ya, but not sell them.

That said, if you are a fanatical millionaire, I'm sure Bob would be happy to talk with you... :)

Long-Winded Collector
Subweb Admin
JG Valuation Board

Post Posted: Fri Feb 17, 2006 7:35 am 

Geoff Dale wrote:Plaag:  Two questions :

1)  How many total titles or items are in the JG catalog (not counting various reprints and editions of the same title) ??

2)  What would be a reasonable value for the value of the entire JG catalog (the cost of buying all the copyrights, rather like a certain pop star buying rights to all the Beatles songs) ??

This information would be of practical use to me

Geoff  :twisted:

1) about 250 numbered items, another 10 or so more that were not released, in total with catalogs/guidebooks, maps etc individually seperate from the play aids..I would say 300.

2) James answered this one.

ShaneG.

Active Collector

Post Posted: Fri Feb 17, 2006 10:04 pm 

Thanks Plaag, that information is quite helpful.  The number of titles is about 50% larger than I had guessed.

James, with all due respect and please don't take this the wrong way, but no answer would have been better than a sarcastic one, since you don't know why I'm interested.  It is/was obvious even to a guy not making his living in the publishing business that (1) its not for sale, and (2) the costs couldn't be recouped.

Geoff

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sat Feb 18, 2006 1:45 am 

jamesmishler wrote:Well... I can tell you right out that unless you are prepared to offer an outrageous sum (such that in this market there wouldn't be a chance in hell of ever recouping the costs), the copyrights and trademarks are not for sale. Bob's not at all interested in selling the rights... he might license them out to ya, but not sell them.

That said, if you are a fanatical millionaire, I'm sure Bob would be happy to talk with you... :)

Emotional ties to his old creations?

"But I have watched the dragons come, fire-eyed, across the world."

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Sat Feb 18, 2006 6:59 pm 

Sorry if I came off as being sarcastic there, Geoff, but I've dealt with so many people who thought they could just come in and swoop off with Bob's properties for a song I'm quite prickly about it. I've seen Bob taken advantage of far too many times not to be...