Judges Guild Miniatures
Author

Verbose Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Mon Feb 06, 2006 5:58 pm 

Does anyone know how many miniatures sets Judges Guild created?  I have one that has a few miniatures shrinkwrapped onto a card.  The minis are not good quality but they are JG.  Any other news?

Long-Winded Collector
Subweb Admin
JG Valuation Board

Post Posted: Mon Feb 06, 2006 7:08 pm 

Can you send a picture of them? and the card?

ShaneG.

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Mon Feb 06, 2006 9:02 pm 

From my recollection, Judges Guild never made any miniatures of their own, but they did re-package other company's miniatures as a distributor/retailer...

I'd be very interested in seeing pictures, and especially scans of any indicia...

Verbose Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Mon Feb 06, 2006 10:51 pm 

Okiedokie, I'll try to find it from storage on Wednesday and post a pic.

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Tue Feb 07, 2006 4:19 am 

VermilionFire wrote:Okiedokie, I'll try to find it from storage on Wednesday and post a pic.

would be interesting to see! i was never aware of them either...

Al

Are we nearly there yet?

Verbose Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Wed Feb 08, 2006 12:07 am 

According to my inventory notes the product number is 42-6 City State Miniatures, and there are 4 in the pack.  I'll try to find them tomorrow and take a photo to post here.

Verbose Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Wed Feb 08, 2006 11:59 pm 

Here's a pic of the pack:

And here's a pic of the back of the card which has a penciled in number, which I assume is stock:

Of course the number 42-6 begs the question of whether there was a 1-5, or any beyond 6.  
Would Bob Bledsaw or anyone else have any further information on this?

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Thu Feb 09, 2006 12:14 am 

Wow, thats very cool.  Never saw that before, it might be rare. :wink:

"He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you." -Neitzche

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Thu Feb 09, 2006 3:44 am 

That's the damndest thing... that's worth a call to Bob alone.

Is that suppose to be a Popeye-legged llama and three of the bastard children of Gollum and E.T.? Those are some fugly figures...

Looks like they were produced by Eisenwerk Industries under license from Judges Guild. Eisenwerk seems to have been bought out by Pewtercraft, but their web site hasn't been updated in several years... and there's nothing on there that resembles these figures, though they have plenty of other godawful figures on the site...

http://www.cs.cmu.edu/~tpope/miniatures ... index.html

Even the most complete sites on miniatures have nothing more than the Eisenwerk name, the fact that they were in Texas, and that they had planned to release some spaceship rules that never were released... the JG minis are never even mentioned! They must have been real obscure even in the day...

I'll see what I can dig up from Bob...

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Thu Feb 09, 2006 4:51 am 

wow what a cool item. i would say you prb have about 10 buyers already should you sell them :D

its a defo 5 on the rare scale and super-ultra-rare at that. i have never ever seen one before and i doubt most others here havent either.

will be really interesting to see what james comes back with from bob!

Al

Are we nearly there yet?

Long-Winded Collector

Post Posted: Thu Feb 09, 2006 8:39 am 

killjoy32 wrote:its a defo 5 on the rare scale and super-ultra-rare at that.

*g*. Bit of a leap, Al? ;)

$3.95! 8O Weregoat!! :lol:

Now, wasn't that obvious? :P

"Licensed by JG items" rather than "JG items"; just like JG had the license to do material for TSR.
Peripheral to the "main list", if so, but very definitely worth listing somewhere on the site for added diversity, IMHO :)

Thanks for the scan of those critters, William!

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Thu Feb 09, 2006 9:08 am 

yeah a great listing - tho rare, doesnt mean they are worth a lot tho, unless someone really wants em. gotta be a 5 rarity cos i aint never seen one.... has anyone else?

Are we nearly there yet?

Verbose Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Thu Feb 09, 2006 10:07 am 

Wow, a weregoat, I was wondering what these critters were, and so there were others in the series too.  In 10 years of actively collecting this is the only pack of JG minis I've ever seen so I think that would qualify them as pretty rare.  Then again, they're so fugly I assume most of this series ended up in landfills after the first round of production.

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Thu Feb 09, 2006 10:12 am 

VermilionFire wrote:Wow, a weregoat, I was wondering what these critters were, and so there were others in the series too. In 10 years of actively collecting this is the only pack of JG minis I've ever seen so I think that would qualify them as pretty rare. Then again, they're so fugly I assume most of this series ended up in landfills after the first round of production.

maybe so, but a fabulous item to keep in the collection tho!

and wtf is a forg :D

Are we nearly there yet?

Verbose Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Thu Feb 09, 2006 10:18 am 

Yeah, what is a forg and a loombar anyway?  Were they new monsters from a JG product, or spontaneously created names for the minis list?  I'm actually assuming the latter.

Long-Winded Collector
Subweb Admin
JG Valuation Board

Post Posted: Thu Feb 09, 2006 12:42 pm 

Alright..who can find those creatures in a product first :)

ShaneG.

Long-Winded Collector
Subweb Admin
JG Valuation Board

Post Posted: Thu Feb 09, 2006 1:20 pm 

Well Fall 1980 JG Catalog is the first instance these are listed. ANyone have miniature catalogs that list this sometime earlier?

ShaneG.

Long-Winded Collector

Post Posted: Thu Feb 09, 2006 1:22 pm 

Plaag wrote:Alright..who can find those creatures in a product first :)

Had thought to do so, Shane, but I'm still having difficult reading whilst wiping the tears from my eyes.... Image
"Professionally designed. Accurately scaled. Precision cast" :lol:

(We're talking 1980s here!)

killjoy32 wrote:yeah a great listing - tho rare, doesnt mean they are worth a lot tho, unless someone really wants em. gotta be a 5 rarity cos i aint never seen one.... has anyone else?

Was thinking more from the p.o.v. that an unsold crate of 'em could turn up; just like those "not-really-a-5-in-that-context" Dragon Dice, say.
OK. On the other hand, they might just've cut their losses and melted the rest down.

Sorry, that stock list is still killing me :D

I'm trying to imagine whether it's possible to tell who's who in the "Mordred the Mangler and Lizardman" double act. Or why, as case may be.
Or that they'd already run out of names by the second item... "Six-legged Octopus... erm, thing..." ("Hey Joe, how many legs does an octopus have"?... "Six, mate".... [later] "Dammit... we can hardly call it a sextopus can we?" [*throws mould at Joe*] :lol:).
And that they'd finally had lost the will to live by the ninth... ("OK, Fred, how about 'Wookie-man': d'ya think that'll save us from a copyright violation?". "Nah, swap the second words around". "OK. But maybe we should call it a Kiewoo instead". "Who cares, amigo? I'm off for an interview with Ral Partha on Monday. Dead cert..." :P).

Next