Group One Games
Author

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Fri Jan 06, 2006 12:20 pm 

Does anyone know if there is a link between Group One Games and Judges Guild? Group One Games published very few products, but on close inspection their printing style, grade of paper, font, letter spacing, text block setting style and general feel are all strikingly similar to those of Judges Guild.

Group One Games' address in 1981 was 1737 Walnut Grove, Decatur, Illinois.

The one product I know of that was published for D&D, Ironhoof Highlands, has no credits in it whatsoever. No author, no contributing artists, no editor, nothing.

This week I've been mostly eating . . . minestrone soup.

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Fri Jan 06, 2006 12:30 pm 

mbassoc2003 wrote:The one product I know of that was published for D&D, Ironhoof Highlands, has no credits in it whatsoever. No author, no contributing artists, no editor, nothing.

yeah thats the only one i have - cant say i know of others tho....

Al

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Fri Jan 06, 2006 2:02 pm 

Yep, Group One was founded in late 1980 by a number of folks who left Judges Guild, including Bob Bledsaw's sister Debbie and her husband Marc Summerlot, plus Mark Holmer and some others (Bob can't recall who all was among them). It was a friendly split, and Bob even helped them out with advice, equipment, and such (remember, JG was flush at the time and their products were selling like hotcakes, far more demand than supply at the time). But Group One never really amounted to anything. Ironhoof Highlands (1981) was the only fantasy product they actually published, and they were supposed to publish some Traveller books, too, but Bob wasn't sure that they ever actually got printed. Most of the folks that left for Group One returned to Judges Guild afterward, in late 1981 or early 1982.

The address was Bob's sister's house, and Bob actually lives in that house today...

An interesting thing about the map in Ironhoof Highlands was that it used semi-standardized symbols, which the Judges Guild maps did not. Each Wilderlands map was hand-drawn by Bob, though he did use various templates for the forests and such, each mountain and hill was hand drawn, etc. Not so for the Ironhoof Highlands, which apparently entirely used templates (not having Bob to draw the maps). And the map was in color, too, which was not done with the Judges Guild maps. After the Tekumel maps in Empire of the Petal Throne and Greyhawk in the gazetteer, I think this might have been the third published full-color map for a fantasy RPG, a step closer toward the style that was eventually used for the Known World Gazetteers (Mystara).

James

James Mishler
James Mishler Games

Long-Winded Collector
Subweb Admin
JG Valuation Board

Post Posted: Fri Jan 06, 2006 3:53 pm 

Group One published these series of adventure and setting supplements for Classic Traveller.

* Encounters in the Corelian Quadrant
 * Encounters in the Phoenix Quadrant
 * Encounters in the Ventura Quadrant
 * Geptorem
 * Hydronaut
 * Lamoda IV
 * Marinagua
 * Mission to Zephor
 * Nithus
 * Nystalux
 * Pen-Latol's World
 * Port Xanatath
 * Sapies
 * Theta Borealis Sector
 * Wabor-Parn

ShaneG.

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Fri Jan 06, 2006 9:57 pm 

Shane,

I've seen that Traveller list before, but never actually seen the products... have you seen them? Could you perhaps put a section up on the Acaeum/JG board with listings and pictures and information on each? I'd be very interested in that... and Group Once does count as Judges Guild's bastard stepchild, after all...

James

James Mishler
James Mishler Games

Long-Winded Collector
Subweb Admin
JG Valuation Board

Post Posted: Sat Jan 07, 2006 2:00 am 

Hum..can do (though they are pics from Ebay, and I don't recall off hand who was selling them).

Edit: I've added these to the Other Companies page..I do plan on scanning covers, contents, etc and putting everything up like the JG pages for these Other Companies products. (Its just I'll need the urge and time to dig some of that out.)

Edit 2: Also Heroic Worlds has ever so small tidbits on the various Traveller products they produced.

ShaneG.

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Sat Jan 07, 2006 11:46 am 

Wow! Thanks Shane! Seeing those covers is to me like seeing the Loch Ness Monster... something often rumored, and you want to believe in it, but never would expect to see in your lifetime...

Now I've got to hunt those down on eBay, too...

James

James Mishler
James Mishler Games

Long-Winded Collector
Subweb Admin
JG Valuation Board

Post Posted: Fri Jan 13, 2006 9:06 pm 

I found this site: http://www.roliste.com/jeu.jsp?id=2243# ... roup%20One

Anyway if someone could email the administator so that I can give credit when I post the information. I sent an email, but seeing what an online translator site made of my request, I think I need someone who writes French and can make this sound like it intends:

"Hello, I have been working on a Judges Guild resource site for a good portion of 2005, and it has been up for over a month now. I was wondering however if I could have your name so as to give credit. I plan to use the information (cover photos/description) relating to Group One since it was a small group that broke away from Judges Guild and lasted only about a year before the writers returned. Thanks for your time."

EDIT: well nevermind, they speak english too :)

ShaneG.

Active Collector

Post Posted: Tue Jan 17, 2006 8:07 am 

Hello!

Curious lurker dropping by... Is this Ironhoof Highlands product good? I am especially interested if it is the vein of traditional JG supplements - e.g. Wilderlands of High Fantasy, Portals of Torsh, Verbosh, etc.

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Tue Jan 17, 2006 11:13 am 

Melan wrote:Hello!

Curious lurker dropping by... Is this Ironhoof Highlands product good? I am especially interested if it is the vein of traditional JG supplements - e.g. Wilderlands of High Fantasy, Portals of Torsh, Verbosh, etc.

i have 1 or 2 of them and i like it! i think its a really good read, but it is a product on its own and does not relate to other JG products in any way.

it crops up on ebay from time to time, crazy egor has them listed now then.....worth picking one up if you can get one.

Alan

Active Collector

Post Posted: Wed Jan 18, 2006 11:23 am 

Thank you for your reply, killjoy.

Long-Winded Collector
Subweb Admin
JG Valuation Board

Post Posted: Wed May 26, 2010 12:40 pm 

*Serious thread bump*

Has been a rather large amount of these items posted on Ebay the past couple of months.  I hope to eventually get them (cheap of course) so good to see the prices coming down on them.

ShaneG.

I reject your reality and substitute my own

Prolific Collector
JG Valuation Board
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Wed May 26, 2010 4:06 pm 

I have been trying to complete my Group One collection because of the JG connection (and I collect all things Classic Traveller).  I have benefited form the recent auctions on eBay, picking up three items I was missing.  I think the latest round of items must have observed previous prices and set the prices accordingly.  $75.00+ is a little rich for my blood.

Prolific Collector
JG Valuation Board
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Wed Apr 20, 2011 10:31 pm 

If anyone is looking for Group One items, a stash has come up for sale at my local Half Price Books store.  There are about a half dozen titles.  All appear to be in good shape.  They are $25.00 a piece.  Half Price Books has figured out that some RPGs are collectible and seem to be setting prices based on eBay auctions.  I would be happy to pick up items for fellow collectors.  Send me a PM if interested.