"Wilderlands of the Magic Realms" question
Author

Active Collector

Post Posted: Thu Dec 22, 2005 12:56 pm 

I was looking at Afterglow's non-TSR site and I noticed what he said of "Wilderlands of the Magic Realms" - "It is the rarest release in the Wilderlands series and commends a lot of money."

Does anyone know the basis in fact for this statement? How rare is it?

Thanks,
Mike

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Thu Dec 22, 2005 1:45 pm 

Its the hardest of the four to find, particularily the first prints (Installments V&W). The later prints combined int one book crop up half a dizen times a year. The first prints, maybe only once or twice.

Afterglow hasn't been updated in years. I think with more and more people having access to eBay we see more copies of things than we used to, but there are more collectors and more money also, and the prises seem to keep rising.

I sold a 1st print Magic Realms in February for £62. About $95 at the time. That must be close to the record though.

This week I've been mostly eating . . . The white ones with the little red flecks in them.

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Thu Dec 22, 2005 1:48 pm 

Desuma_Malevois wrote:I was looking at Afterglow's non-TSR site and I noticed what he said of "Wilderlands of the Magic Realms" - "It is the rarest release in the Wilderlands series and commends a lot of money."

Thanks,
Mike

hey mike

in my experience, and i have sold a LOT of JG items over the last few years, magic realm is the one that sells for the most out of the wilderlands series, but NOT from all the JG products.

of the JG products, ones that always sell very well are:

dark tower, inferno, wilderlands magic realms/fantastic reaches, fantastic wilderlands beyonde, tegel manor (all prints), CSIO, CSWE - all the original instalments really and any of the very old stuff, ie 1977 or older, FFC and most of the older 1st print stuff sells very well too. prb missed one or two as i am in work, but you kinda get the gist of things. magic realms rarely goes cheap, tho you can pick it up cheap sometimes if you work thru ebay with a fine tooth-comb consistently :)

of course, the ones that go for a premium is the ones in tip-top shape, well look after/poss shrinked or with original instalment mailing envelopes - complete items with all the maps and inserts and no writing. these will always sell very well.

Al

Are we nearly there yet?

Long-Winded Collector
Subweb Admin
JG Valuation Board

Post Posted: Thu Dec 22, 2005 2:52 pm 

Not sure how rare (Al is in the process of finding things out like that), do know though it can go for a good bit of money. (I have an Installment W that I would sell if anyone is interested)

ShaneG.

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Thu Dec 22, 2005 4:47 pm 

Plaag wrote:Not sure how rare (Al is in the process of finding things out like that), do know though it can go for a good bit of money. (I have an Installment W that I would sell if anyone is interested)

ShaneG.

and i have about 10 :)

i wouldnt consider them "that" rare. if we were using say the acaeum rare rating system as per D&D stuff, i would prb only rate it maybe a 3 at the highest....as you do see them crop up a fair number of times a year, BUT complete ones with no writing in etc, all maps present and quality condition then yes, you are certainly going to a 4 and most certainly a 5 imo.

you get the book on its own cropping up quite regularly, but its always shabby and its crap on its own so not worth spit imo.

now we are talking a "5" when you see both instalments V and W together at the same time - they certainly dont come around often, and even less in quality collectible condition.

mind you, you can do as MS88 did, he got the books and then picked up the maps elsewhere - in the end, made up the set and has a nice rare complete item well worth collecting.

so there we go - hope i havent bored anyone shitless with that :D

and yes, i am working on rarity levels. most JG items are prb on a 1. only a smattering of items are on a 3 or above and ALL complete original instalments are a 5. you just dont ever see them. if you did, oh you wait and see the fight for them....there must be at least 5 or 6 of us here at LEAST who would duke it out.

Al

Are we nearly there yet?

Sage Collector

Post Posted: Thu Dec 22, 2005 4:56 pm 

(OT)
killjoy32 wrote:i wouldnt consider them "that" rare. if we were using say the acaeum rare rating system as per D&D stuff, i would prb only rate it maybe a 3 at the highest....as you do see them crop up a fair number of times a year, BUT complete ones with no writing in etc, all maps present and quality condition then yes, you are certainly going to a 4 and most certainly a 5 imo.

Which is going to be one of the more interesting complications with regards "rarity" in a JG context.

killjoy32 wrote:and yes, i am working on rarity levels. most JG items are prb on a 1. only a smattering of items are on a 3 or above and ALL complete original instalments are a 5. you just dont ever see them. if you did, oh you wait and see the fight for them....there must be at least 5 or 6 of us here at LEAST who would duke it out.

Well, we all just sat back and let Mike <improv> pounce that previous bundle "on the cheap", didn't we? ;)

Better to "share the magic", no? *chuckles*

=

killjoy32 wrote:and i have about 10 :)

*rofl*

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Thu Dec 22, 2005 5:07 pm 

harami2000 wrote:
killjoy32 wrote:and i have about 10 :)

*rofl*

and believe me its not funny :)

i really need to offload some. yeah yeah yeah shane i know i will be sorting that out :)

the problem i am having with regards to the JG rarity markers right now is where to set a standard. i was thinking to mainly start on the 1st prints right now from just a general perspective, ie. complete tegel. from there on, we can then discuss it further once we get the prints sorted out, IF we can :)

i've bid on almost every tegel this year, and there have been no more than 6 or 7 nice complete ones. prb double that were kinda half complete or just the book.

the last tasty load, CSIO and tegel i missed on as i was in work and couldnt get to a PC to bid :) was talking to shane about it and i really wanted them two sets too....but hey never mind :)

Al

Are we nearly there yet?

Sage Collector

Post Posted: Thu Dec 22, 2005 5:19 pm 

Desuma_Malevois wrote:I was looking at Afterglow's non-TSR site and I noticed what he said of "Wilderlands of the Magic Realms" - "It is the rarest release in the Wilderlands series and commends a lot of money."

Thanks,
Mike

Comments on Matthias's pages do require context, btw.
Still very useful for what they are, however.

e.g. compare with http://asta-www.informatik.uni-hamburg. ... index.html
"Concerning rare: these three items [PotVQ, DG & Misty] are worth a lot of money, but are mucho overpaid currently, I think"
(Just don't ask what the baseline $ used with regards "mucho overpaid" was! :D)
and
http://asta-www.informatik.uni-hamburg. ... index.html
"These books were printed in 1982 and 1983, and are stupidly rare (although I picked up my copies of Beastmaker Mountain and Nanorien Stones at 12$ each in December '95, I have not seen them offered again since)."

I'd tend to go with what Al says. ;)

Sage Collector

Post Posted: Thu Dec 22, 2005 5:22 pm 

killjoy32 wrote:the last tasty load, CSIO and tegel i missed on as i was in work and couldnt get to a PC to bid :) was talking to shane about it and i really wanted them two sets too....but hey never mind :)

Remember, Al. Every one you win means one person who might be disappointed and go to find something else to collect instead.
(And no, doing a coug and pointing 'em at your store instead doesn't count! ;))

Heh. That "3"-"4" rarity gap is a pain, again?
Far less different printings and states of completion.

Active Collector

Post Posted: Thu Dec 22, 2005 5:30 pm 

My thanks to all who've replied. Just as mentioned in the "Tegel Manor" thread, this is another item that I'm getting ready for eBay. I do have one more question. My copy includes a seperate page of "Designer's Notes" that doesn't seem to be mentioned in the Acaeum entry. It's possible that it is a photocopy from a JGJ or Dungeoneer magazine - the page has the number 15 at the bottom - but I don't remember doing this and can't imagine why I would since I didn't pay that much attention to the product when I bought it. Has anyone else seen this sheet?

Thanks,
Mike

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Thu Dec 22, 2005 6:20 pm 

Desuma_Malevois wrote:My thanks to all who've replied. Just as mentioned in the "Tegel Manor" thread, this is another item that I'm getting ready for eBay. I do have one more question. My copy includes a seperate page of "Designer's Notes" that doesn't seem to be mentioned in the Acaeum entry. It's possible that it is a photocopy from a JGJ or Dungeoneer magazine - the page has the number 15 at the bottom - but I don't remember doing this and can't imagine why I would since I didn't pay that much attention to the product when I bought it. Has anyone else seen this sheet?

Thanks,
Mike

Judges Guild often published designer's notes in their various journals.  This is most likely the case...especially given the page number.

"But I have watched the dragons come, fire-eyed, across the world."

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Thu Dec 22, 2005 6:50 pm 

Desuma_Malevois wrote:My thanks to all who've replied. Just as mentioned in the "Tegel Manor" thread, this is another item that I'm getting ready for eBay. I do have one more question. My copy includes a seperate page of "Designer's Notes" that doesn't seem to be mentioned in the Acaeum entry. It's possible that it is a photocopy from a JGJ or Dungeoneer magazine - the page has the number 15 at the bottom - but I don't remember doing this and can't imagine why I would since I didn't pay that much attention to the product when I bought it. Has anyone else seen this sheet?

Thanks,
Mike

hey mike

thats page 15 out of JG journal 14 (W) - i've got a small batch of em lying out back. was gonna scan the page but the scanner dont wanna play right now.

when the original instalment was sent to subscribers, thats how it was released. journal with an instalment (in this case - instalment W - magic realms book 2)

the W instalment that you have, is one half of wilderlands of the magic realms. instalment V and instalment W make the whole item.

Al

Are we nearly there yet?

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Thu Dec 22, 2005 6:51 pm 

MShipley88 wrote:   Judges Guild often published designer's notes in their various journals. This is most likely the case...especially given the page number.

yeah thats right - there were often amendments etc too.  quite a good idea really when you think about it.

Al

Are we nearly there yet?

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Thu Dec 22, 2005 7:03 pm 

harami2000 wrote:Remember, Al. Every one you win means one person who might be disappointed and go to find something else to collect instead.
(And no, doing a coug and pointing 'em at your store instead doesn't count! ;))

Heh. That "3"-"4" rarity gap is a pain, again?
Far less different printings and states of completion.

magic realms is one of my fave JG items to collect. when i see one, its like a drug and i just feel drawn towards them. CSIO and tegel hold the same thing too :)

and fwiw, its rare i actually mention my biz or ebay listings...even on classifieds. i dont like doing that. kinda defeats the object of making money somehow but hey thats me :)

yeah the 3/4 gap is quite wide imo. its hard to leap that gap for a lot of items.

atm i have things like dark tower/inferno sitting solidly on about 2.5/3 - magic realm W is on a 3/4, while V is on a 4. comes up a LOT less than W. a complete CSIO 1st 4, almost 5, 2nd on a 3/4. tegels i have sat on a 3 atm and wont move that until we have sorted the prints, then i will nudge that around when i can break em up to see what y'all think. but i have complete instalments on a 5. thats a journal/instalment and all additional items that come with them.

its a start and is always open to discussion.

Al

Are we nearly there yet?

Active Collector

Post Posted: Thu Dec 22, 2005 7:50 pm 

killjoy32 wrote:hey mike

thats page 15 out of JG journal 14 (W) - i've got a small batch of em lying out back. was gonna scan the page but the scanner dont wanna play right now.

when the original instalment was sent to subscribers, thats how it was released. journal with an instalment (in this case - instalment W - magic realms book 2)

the W instalment that you have, is one half of wilderlands of the magic realms. instalment V and instalment W make the whole item.

Al

Thanks Al (and everyone else). I probably did photocopy the page at the time; I bought a few JGJs back then, but who remembers everything they copied over 25 years ago?

Mike

Active Collector

Post Posted: Fri Dec 30, 2005 2:52 am 

mbassoc2003 wrote:I sold a 1st print Magic Realms in February for £62. About $95 at the time. That must be close to the record though.

Just out of curiosity, what condition was that one in?

Mike

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Fri Dec 30, 2005 6:37 am 

Desuma_Malevois wrote:
mbassoc2003 wrote:I sold a 1st print Magic Realms in February for £62. About $95 at the time. That must be close to the record though.

Mike

It was clean (no markings) and uncreased, so I listed it as very good/excellent.

This week I've been mostly eating . . . The white ones with the little red flecks in them.

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Fri Dec 30, 2005 6:39 am 

mbassoc2003 wrote:
Desuma_Malevois wrote:

Mike

It was clean (no markings) and uncreased, so I listed it as very good/excellent.

yes i remember that one. ian did very well with that one. we've both sold them at pretty decent prices over time. they are one of the premium JG items imo and to get one in such great condition does not come around often at all.

Al

Are we nearly there yet?

Next