Ready Ref and I/J Map Sheets (Q/A)
Author

Long-Winded Collector
Subweb Admin
JG Valuation Board

Post Posted: Sun Nov 06, 2005 1:46 pm 

Big shout out to Al for his help with the Ready Ref sheets.
Reason I asked him is it seems RR charts along with I and J maps come in what I'm calling for now 'Tan', 'Pale Yellow', 'Yellow Orange' (I have a couple of I maps that are Tan and Pale Yellow.)
Concerning #14:
Men attacking I-8 - double sided and colour is tan
Man to man melee I-6 - double sided and colour is tan
Wizards/construction sheets - double sided and colour is tan
Monsters attacking I-7 - single sided and colour is pale yellow
Characters checklist - double sided and the colour is orange-ish
Surprise in encounters J-5 - single sided and the colour is pale yellow

Monster Compendium - double sided and the color :) is Yellow Orange
I have a Character Checklist that is single sided and the color is Yellow Orange
My J-5 and Wizards Guide both conform to the above.
I have a I-1, I-2, I-4, I-5 that are Pale Yellow (I-5 has Players Thunderhold map on reverse)
I-2, I-3, I-4, I-5 that are Tan (also my I-4 is not labeled as I-4)
J maps are Yellow Orange

Those that have (c) are for 1977: Wizards Guide, Character Checklist

So my quandary: Developing Thunderhold, Bob releases that with a series of general guidelines as the 16-page Thunderhold "Installment J," along with 4 dungeon levels, an RR, and the JG Journal "J" (issue #1). Journal J lists upto product #17 (Dec 76/Jan 77)). Yet Wizards Guide being in #14 means either the (c) was wrong, or the release of #14 package was done in 1977.
Any thoughts on this and also does anyone have different sheets (either in color or double/single sided) then listed above?

ShaneG.

Long-Winded Collector
Subweb Admin
JG Valuation Board

Post Posted: Wed Feb 01, 2006 1:31 pm 

:? Well we have to open this up again..
First I-6/I-7/I-8: (oh and I shall have cleaner pics of all old and new sheets by next update)
I-6 paler paper then any other I-6
I-7 the 'I-7' is to the right of 'Judges Guild' instead of 'Monsters Attacking', not as bright yellow as David's
I-8 no negative ACs, not as bright yellow as David's

I-1 to I-5: interesting to note that there is no grid on these, rather there is dots (spaced evenly and line up with measurements just like the later prints)

I-9 to I-12: First haven't checked later journals, but I seems the only list so far when compared to earlier products and their lists, to say the player map is 4 sections.
Also I-12 has the 'for use with Dungeons & Dragons'

Now looking at item #1 City Maps (4 sections): Differences dealing with what I have as 'Quad 1' (I think I'll change this to better match up with the I-9 to I-12 maps now) http://www.acaeum.com/jg/Item0001.html

1st print: has yellow highlight on swamp areas, 'for use with Dungeons & Dragons', no copyright date, thick paper, no Hammermill Bond watermark

2nd print (now this only comes from my CSIO 1st..so bear with me): No highlight on swamp areas, 'for use with fantasy role-playing games', copyright 1976, has a large map scale, thin paper, Hammermill Bond watermark

3rd print (this comes from the blue coversheet set): No highlight on swamp areas, 'for use with Dungeons & Dragons', copyright 1976, thick paper, no Hammermill Bond watermark

Now concerning the other 3 'quads':
1st print: has yellow highlight on swamp areas,  no copyright date, thick paper, no Hammermill Bond watermark

2nd/3rd prints: No highlight on swamp areas, copyright 1976, thin paper, Hammermill Bond watermark

Any thoughts/explanations/ideas...

ShaneG.

Long-Winded Collector
Subweb Admin
JG Valuation Board

Post Posted: Sat Feb 04, 2006 7:43 am 

Well its done *whew*, really dont want to do that many page changes again.
Anyhow, onto the disscussions...

ShaneG.

Long-Winded Collector
Subweb Admin
JG Valuation Board

Post Posted: Fri Feb 24, 2006 5:02 pm 

Well since this pertains somewhat (okay tiny amount) on the RR sheets, I thought I'd post it here.

Tegel Cover sheet with Booty List up to #30 is similiar to the Cover Sheet of Ready Ref Sheets Package #14.
One thing however puts the sequence thus: Journal L, Tegel BL #30, RR Sheets BL #30
And that is: En Garde- Swashbuckling Role Playing is listed at $5.00 in Journal L, then price corrected to $4.00 and noted in Tegel BL #30, then the note is ommited, yet the space it occupied is still left and a line under the '4' of the $4.00 is still present.

May 7th, 1977 was a Saturday..the cut off point of Installment L being the subscribers first installment. May 9th, 1977 the first postal day that the Installment L could be mailed (and was by David's envelope of that Installment L and noted on Tegel BL #30 cover sheet).
So now how long after the installment was released, did the Tegel go onto store shelves with coversheet and minus the newsletter and reduced judges map* (by the Tegel BL #30 list). Dragon #7 (June) has Tegel as in stores April/May. It seems by the cover sheet it was in stores before the Installment was received - not mailed mind you, but if subscribers picked this up wondering, then saw the  'was to be mailed May 9th, bulk mail takes 2-3 weeks' they would then just wait for their Installment.

Dragon 10 (October) has Ready Ref sheets now available..so August/September at the latest they were available. (I know #14 is stated as available on the Tegel cover sheet and other sources in 1977, just why not in any earlier Dragon ad has me wondering a more precise date for it)

So the blank cover sheet has to be later, with the orange I don't know (which I still need to research.. if possible concerning Booklet L) Al's tegel cover sheet with Treasure Vault up to #160 does put Booklet L into 1980, but the orange being a near straight copy of the 1st print Booklet L does not help much.

oh and concerning the * - it would seem the reduced map was with Installment L (as stated on Tegel cover sheet #30). Not the store bought Tegels. However Journal L, which states specifically what was in the Installment L (since Installment K was missing a Ref Sheet and 'L' was to include it only in the installment), does not list the reduced map.  :roll: Another mystery .. oh well.

ShaneG.