Modron (Q/A)
Author

Sage Collector

Post Posted: Tue Nov 01, 2005 7:21 pm 

*kicks dodgy PC around the room a few times*. Sorry, lost almost an hour there...
killjoy32 wrote:
harami2000 wrote:The "n" in "current" near the top of this weakness is nearly invistible in the "installment" copy.
The copy from Terry does not have this weakness at all, but the "n" in "current" is broken at the right hand side.

right i have just look at my blue modron's and they all have the same line down the right hand side in the same way yours does david.

Thanks for checking.

Hmm... So, all of yours (from Terry) have the same vertical "fade" line per the left-hand copy below (from a known, distributed installment), rather than the "corrected, but with a broken n" of the "remaindered" copy I picked up from Terry?
Still sounds more like a problem/flaw internal to a particular (=> single?) print run for the booklet, if so.

Anyone have an unbroken, visible "n" ;)

*illustrates, fwiw*

Sage Collector

Post Posted: Tue Nov 01, 2005 7:31 pm 

killjoy32 wrote:
mbassoc2003 wrote:...
So if you're gonna release a product to non-subscribers you need to make sure they have the sheets they need and you can't be sure they have them if they are buying from you blind. So you bung a character checklist in with Tegel 'cos its character (NPC) heavy, and you bung the monster stats in with Modron ('cos its needed).

Seems pretty logical to me.

that sounds about spot on to me.

shane/david...what do you think ?

Ian's observations sound good to me, too Image

I don't have many of the intermediate/later prints/releases, so I'm a bit blind as to the precise contents lists being discussed.
Was one of the reasons I nudged for a preview of combined efforts as to the presumed components of the various states- in "website" format with pics- prior to launch, in case the stated contents of the earlier versions don't match what I've got here (for whatever reason!).

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Tue Nov 01, 2005 7:43 pm 

david

my 1st print modrons - i didnt get them from terry.

i have other prints, which are the big A4 size mods - they are the ones i got from terry.

the 1st prints i got from here and there over time.

i havent got a 1st print modron off terry yet - but will no doubt get 1 or 3

you just reminded me, i need to mail him to conclude a bit of biz

Al

Are we nearly there yet?

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Tue Nov 01, 2005 7:44 pm 

oh yeah forgot to add....mine most definately look like the instalment modrons too.

btw notice the slight colour change between the two as well?

or is that just your scanner :)

Al

Are we nearly there yet?

Long-Winded Collector
Subweb Admin
JG Valuation Board

Post Posted: Tue Nov 01, 2005 7:53 pm 

harami2000 wrote:Indeed, the only apparent difference (and it could easily be a "fix" within a single print run) was that the cover of the blue booklet known to have come with the installment has a vertical text weakness most noticeable at the "I" in "In open water" through the "8" in "10-80 damage" to the "1" in "4-18 MPH".
The "n" in "current" near the top of this weakness is nearly invistible in the "installment" copy.
The copy from Terry does not have this weakness at all, but the "n" in "current" is broken at the right hand side.

My Modron is exactly like the 'Terry' copy.. also on the back cover under Shape column 1 Irregular-1/2x (my 1/2 is 'weak' compared to the others on that page.) Sorry if this causes others to look AGAIN  :wink:  :)

Tegel cover sheet w Treasure Vault. Well this just seems to add another 'print'. I have the cover sheet without any product listing..so Al does the front still have the copyright of 1977 on that sheet.

Back to Modron: That assumption seems fair, I've asked Tom from this thread that posted he had installments:

About 1 & 1/2 years ago I picked up installments 'I' through 'X' in one auction on eBay. It corresponds with Jamesmishler's list. Also some non-sub items like the four map City-State, 56 page City State booklet, 2nd edition Ready Ref Sheets in the purple booklet, and Character Chronicle cards. The Tac cards and Character Chronicle cards have the P.O. box. The seller accurately described the set as having read once as each installment arrived, then bagged and stored. It 's in beautiful condition.

Hope he can shed some more on this discussion if he's still around and has them handy.

ShaneG.

Sage Collector

Post Posted: Tue Nov 01, 2005 7:53 pm 

killjoy32 wrote:david

my 1st print modrons - i didnt get them from terry.

*g*. OK, Al! I just read back to the end of the previous page, posted whilst I was typing the first post on this page ;)

killjoy32 wrote:i only got 2nd print+ modrons off terry. my others i got elsewhere from diff ppl. am going to look at them shortly to see what they look like.

Fair enough... :)

Well, in that case I s'pose it could be of interest if all Terry's "remaindered" copies of the blue book have that broken "n"...

Hardly a major printing difference, even if there was a further print run, but possibly of minor interest, nonetheless.

(Trouble with a minor printing "fix" like this is that it's actually more likely to have occured within a printing, than between printings).

=
Oh, I thought you were going to be in this year's dune-jumping marathon, not next year's... Seriously huge effort, that. Good luck! :D

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Tue Nov 01, 2005 8:18 pm 

Plaag wrote:My Modron is exactly like the 'Terry' copy.. also on the back cover under Shape column 1 Irregular-1/2x (my 1/2 is 'weak' compared to the others on that page.) Sorry if this causes others to look AGAIN :wink: :)
ShaneG.

shane i just looked at mine and my back cover looks fine. all the words/figures on the back page look about the same - print quality wise...

Al

*** EDIT *** having just read david's post below this one, i just checked again. yes. the figures seem fine, but all the fraction bar's are fainter. but then that is a really small thin line. could that not just be the printer itself, printing such a fine line?

i dont really put it down as the same as the front cover anomoly....

Al

Are we nearly there yet?

Sage Collector

Post Posted: Tue Nov 01, 2005 8:22 pm 

Plaag wrote:My Modron is exactly like the 'Terry' copy.. also on the back cover under Shape column 1 Irregular-1/2x (my 1/2 is 'weak' compared to the others on that page.) Sorry if this causes others to look AGAIN :wink: :)

You bet it did, Shane! Both copies here a very slightly weak fraction bar.
Is your Modron from a known installment release or otherwise?

(aside: Yes, it would be very useful if Tom could double-check the contents on those installments and any other printing queries we might have. Hopefully that "read once" condition means all the items received with each installment will still be tucked inside the relevant booklets, too).

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Wed Nov 02, 2005 2:45 am 

harami2000 wrote:aside: As of the 1st "First Fantasy Campaign", booklet "L" was available with the Character Reference sheet (= #25). (= Orange Tegel?)
Was there any earlier point at which the orange-red version was for sale, itself?
(Could reflect such matters in the printing history, or general "cover note" as to how the various installment releases were handled vs. the "components" available at a later date- either en-masse or in smaller "groups", per the Booty lists).

actually guys, yes david has something here. i was shattered last night and forgot to look. i have a 1st print FFC with no cover here, so its useful to use for reference, specially from the booty list at the back.

it says: 27. Tegel Manor Instalment - items 22-25 4.50

22 being newsletter L
23 being 17 x 22 judges map of tegal manor & area
24 11 x 17 players map of tegel and area
25 GL booklet L - 24 pages & character checklist RR chart

aside: what does the RR mean?

modron: looking at the same booty list #34 is listed as modron instalment  - items 31-33

31 city of modron/underwater adventure 11x17 judges map & 8.5x11 players map
32 GL booklet M & RR chart listing all monster statistics
33 newsletter M

note the monster stats is NOT #35 - or doesnt look like anyway

Al

Are we nearly there yet?

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Wed Nov 02, 2005 2:51 am 

modron : just thinking on this one again, when it says "& RR chart listing all monster statistics".... isnt that referring to the charts on the back 2 pages of the modron instalment?

RR = random roll? (good a guess as any)

if you look at each encounter, it does give all the details of each monster that you would need.

the seperate sheets that shane refers to could well be #35 ?

Al

Are we nearly there yet?

Long-Winded Collector
Subweb Admin
JG Valuation Board

Post Posted: Wed Nov 02, 2005 8:29 am 

You are going to kick yourself for this.. :wink:

RR=Ready Ref :D

ShaneG.

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Wed Nov 02, 2005 8:35 am 

Plaag wrote:You are going to kick yourself for this.. :wink:

RR=Ready Ref :D

ShaneG.

oh yeah feckin ell :)

well it was really late and then really early :D

thats my excuse anyway :D

i still wonder tho if it is referring to the last two pages in the booklet shane, cos i have to admit, i have NEVER seen them....and thats rather unusual considering the amount of JG stuff thats passed my hands....

Al

Are we nearly there yet?

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Wed Nov 02, 2005 8:41 am 

just a further point, to backup what i am trying to say:

modron is a very specific scenario, so would JG provide monster sheets for monsters that dont relate to the scenario (ie underwater etc)...

i just been looking at JG14 and if you look at page 22 and page 35,
page 22 is Sharks & Sea Monsters and page 35 is Underwater encounter tables.

these are exactly what is on the last two pages of the Modron booklet. so could this actually be what they are referring to there?

Al

Are we nearly there yet?

Long-Winded Collector
Subweb Admin
JG Valuation Board

Post Posted: Wed Nov 02, 2005 8:54 am 

Well here's an example.. you hadn't seen Wondrous Weapons till earlier this year right? But now you know it truely exists..Anyhow I think the debate is on if it truely came with the installment or was added later..
The coming with installment/subscription and later sold through catalogs/mail is a fair arguement (though it also could be questioned since the 1st 3 booklets I, J, K all came with a RR chart I presume in their installments) I sort of find it hard to discredit every product list..but like was posted about the Tegel, and Sea Steeds..I won't discredit someone who has seen many to support their case.

(will find the message from IO about the White Booklet I to see if a RR chart came with his)
EDIT: Well no mention of a chart sheet with his copy..course its not the installment either so that doesn't help much for this debate.

Oh and all of the above isn't meant to come off as harsh..the wording isn't great but eh..I'm tired :) no really I'm gonna catch up on some rest..so uncover more or decide on what forums need to be created (We have a CSIO, Tac Cards, Tegel, Dark Tower..)

ShaneG.

Long-Winded Collector
Subweb Admin
JG Valuation Board

Post Posted: Wed Nov 02, 2005 9:16 am 

Got a response from Tom:

Shane,
   There are no envelopes. The original owner must have placed the installments in plastic bags and ditched the envelopes. In the bag with installment M there is a monstrous compendium sheet. Since the original owner took good care of these items I assume it came with the installment, but I can't be sure....

Now I'm going to take a nap.

ShaneG.

Previous