judges guild items
Author

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Wed Nov 02, 2005 8:50 am 

hi guys, i know y'all are busy n stuff, but there is loads of JG stuff on my website.

mark shipley (bless him) has started to do some reviews of the actual items for us - which is exceptionally kind.

would be really grateful if anyone else fancies adding a few words to some of the items too...

many thanks in advance...

Al

Are we nearly there yet?

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Mon Apr 24, 2006 4:45 pm 

changed the topic of this thread as this can now fit into a number of generic things to do with JG that doesnt necessarily fit anywhere else.

right guys, i thought i would post this here instead of the classifieds as its not really a sale to all, just really the JG peeps.

having just been digging through boxes and piles of books (its tiring every time i do that man lemme tell you!)....i came across 3 frontier forts of kelnore.

however, these are still in the original envelopes. these were the very first JG items i got quite a long time ago. unfortunately, not knowing too much of JG at the time, i opened the envelopes to see what the items were.

envelope 1 has been opened along the edge of one side (as you would an envelope) and has the JG name and addy on the front

envelope 2 has had the seal partly opened about 4 inches and doesnt have a JG name and addy on it

envelope 3 has had the seal fully opened and there is a tear in it about three inches from the left. there is a stain on the front and the JG name and addy.

each envelope includes the following:

frontier forts of kelnore - 1st print

judges guild journal T in newspaper format

judges guild fantasy catalog in newspaper format (this is the August 1978 catalog)

however - envelope 1 does NOT have the catalog in it (i must have taken it out at some point and cant currently find it), so envelope 2 and 3 are the only ones that have it.

is anyone interested in any of the above? if you are, just PM me an offer / trade or whatever and we will take it from there. i am not really money orientated and would rather trade it for a lil something and for them to go to a good home....

anyways there you go :) if you want a pic of anything just lemme know.

Al

Are we nearly there yet?

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Tue May 02, 2006 5:41 am 

A post from another forum...

Finarvyn wrote:An interesting collecable that I wish I still had ...

I grew up about an hour from Decatur, IL, which was the home of Judges Guild. My parents used to give me rides there and sit in the parking lot while I would shop in their store. For a while, they handed out "free" pens for any purchase over $20. (Not much now, but back then $20 meant a lot of lawns mowed! Back then, an OD&D boxed set was $10.)

The pen said "Wand of Fantasy Gaming -- +5 vs. Boring Campaigns", if I remember correctly. At one point years ago I had a handful of these pens, but sadly they are all long lost.

Has anyone seen one of these? Anyone got a picture?

This week I've been mostly eating . . . The white ones with the little red flecks in them.

Long-Winded Collector
Subweb Admin
JG Valuation Board

Post Posted: Tue May 02, 2006 5:47 am 

Have that info posted here:
http://www.acaeum.com/jg/Items0040-42,Jacket.html

Have not seen one, though would like to.

ShaneG.

Active Collector

Post Posted: Sat May 06, 2006 5:00 pm 

Posting here to not clutter up the forum with excess posts of the same thing.

I have a few JG items I was wondering if someone could give me a value estimate and let me know if a scan is needed for the running collection.

I have:

Wondrous Weapons by Joseph Weingand

The Thieves of Fortress Badabaskor

Ravenscrag (with maps)

Sword of Hope by Dave Emigh

In search of the unknown...

YIM  

Long-Winded Collector
Subweb Admin
JG Valuation Board

Post Posted: Sat May 06, 2006 5:44 pm 

Favonius Cornelius wrote:Posting here to not clutter up the forum with excess posts of the same thing.

I have a few JG items I was wondering if someone could give me a value estimate and let me know if a scan is needed for the running collection.

I have:

Wondrous Weapons by Joseph Weingand

The Thieves of Fortress Badabaskor

Ravenscrag (with maps)

Sword of Hope by Dave Emigh

Well you can check printings from here:
http://www.acaeum.com/jg/
It would only really affect The Thieves of Fortress Badabaskor, and not by much.

Al possibly has this info, (on that note Al, how is the rares list going?) and could give a better quote then me.

ShaneG.

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Sat May 06, 2006 5:57 pm 

Plaag wrote:Al possibly has this info, (on that note Al, how is the rares list going?) and could give a better quote then me.

ShaneG.

yes am very back-logged on that job but its still "in the works"

each of them items are still quite common really and can generally get them for anything from $1 to $10.

bout the only item that might be worth a little more is a 1st print thieves of fortress badabaskor, but again, to the masses, the print wont mean diddly squat to them and you may get a little more if a collector is specifically searching for them.

hope that helps?

Al

Are we nearly there yet?

Prolific Collector
JG Valuation Board
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sat May 06, 2006 7:05 pm 

I'll add my general winge about JG stuff ... it's wildly underpriced for the value of the stuff you get.

It still baffles me how medicore common AD&D items command three times the value of JG items, which while common enough are just plain better gaming modules. OK, the paper doesn't match up to the modern magazine style glossies, nor does the artwork look like anime , but the content, and sheer gaming pleasure is hard to match.

Maybe the real probelm with JG is that the gospel hasn't been spread. :twisted:

(now I'm scaring myself) 8O

An té nach mbíonn láidir ní folláir dó bheith glic

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i-ajduHx5hc

Long-Winded Collector

Post Posted: Sat May 06, 2006 7:18 pm 

obiter wrote:I'll add my general winge about JG stuff ... it's wildly underpriced for the value of the stuff you get.

Good.

(I'd tend to turn that around to say that many of the xD&D items are perhaps overpriced; even though that statement requires to be taken in the context of the original retail prices, many of which were somewhat ouchworthy to schoolkids/students).

obiter wrote:OK, the paper doesn't match up to the modern magazine style glossies, nor does the artwork look like anime , but the content, and sheer gaming pleasure is hard to match.

Keep the prices low, or encourage them to fall, and let that pleasure continue to be affordable to more of the people who actually care, at the end of the day.

"Low prices" and "interest" need not be mutually exclusive and I'm certainly not of the opinion that "investments need to be protected" by saying otherwise.

Jm-02c, of course ^^
(But please do keep on "spreading that gospel"!)

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Sat May 06, 2006 7:30 pm 

i think as long as there is "stock" lying around, you will get items at pretty cheap prices regardless of their age or quality *looks at his pile of 20,000 ish books :D *

i think once they run out, in time the prices will increase because the once common quality items will become far more scarce and then ppl will hunt them down more.

JG never really got advertised anywhere close to its maximum and so to most ppl out there "who like D&D" they wont really be aware of them. shame really cos some of the items are up there with the best.

but as you will find, a lot of ppl dont get JG items cos they aint TSR! (i have even asked a few ppl about that too)...

Al

Are we nearly there yet?

Prolific Collector
JG Valuation Board
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sat May 06, 2006 9:45 pm 

faro wrote:
obiter wrote:I'll add my general winge about JG stuff ... it's wildly underpriced for the value of the stuff you get.

Good.

(I'd tend to turn that around to say that many of the xD&D items are perhaps overpriced; even though that statement requires to be taken in the context of the original retail prices, many of which were somewhat ouchworthy to schoolkids/students).

obiter wrote:OK, the paper doesn't match up to the modern magazine style glossies, nor does the artwork look like anime , but the content, and sheer gaming pleasure is hard to match.

Keep the prices low, or encourage them to fall, and let that pleasure continue to be affordable to more of the people who actually care, at the end of the day.

"Low prices" and "interest" need not be mutually exclusive and I'm certainly not of the opinion that "investments need to be protected" by saying otherwise.

Jm-02c, of course ^^
(But please do keep on "spreading that gospel"!)

I'm not suggesting that prices should be high for the sake of investment. I'm not interested in investment at all. I enjoy reading & gaming.

Sometimes it just depresses me that every month there's a new book issued for $30 explaining how play a paladin with INT 14 and a slight lisp who plays monopoly with his left foot (the twin of the book for those paladins who play with their right foot).

Sure, there's a definite attitude about sticking to "canon" TSR modules. As far as I'm concerned the solution is easy ... lend Inferno, Citadel of Fire, Badabaskor, Dark Tower or Thracia to the unbeliever. Then return the inevitable queries with a "there's a lot more where that came from" and point their browser to ASGI or wherever.

Now I sound like some sort of fanatical fundamentalist ... :?

An té nach mbíonn láidir ní folláir dó bheith glic

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i-ajduHx5hc

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Sat May 06, 2006 9:54 pm 

obiter wrote:and point their browser to ASGI or wherever.

Now I sound like some sort of fanatical fundamentalist ... :?

now THAT sounds like a great idea to me :D

dunno about the lending Inferno bit tho - too hard to get to just give to all n sundry :)

i plug JG inasmuch as i can - i think its a very under-appreciated line and its a shame as the products in the whole (there are ones that DONT live up to the mark) are just as good as the majority of the TSR items....

but there we go - such is life.

Al

Are we nearly there yet?

Long-Winded Collector

Post Posted: Sat May 06, 2006 10:39 pm 

obiter wrote:Sometimes it just depresses me that every month there's a new book issued for $30 explaining how play a paladin with INT 14 and a slight lisp who plays monopoly with his left foot (the twin of the book for those paladins who play with their right foot).

How are the mighty fallen in the midst of battle! (Somewhere around about Mediterranean Avenue whilst mortgaged to the hilt, judging by that context).

Now, there was a good reason I'd more-or-less stopped buying new material from particular companies: darned if you might've hit upon that.
obiter wrote:Now I sound like some sort of fanatical fundamentalist ... :?

:)

Long-Winded Collector
Subweb Admin
JG Valuation Board

Post Posted: Sun May 07, 2006 12:15 pm 

With the website updated, I wanted to ask if people could check there Judges Guild items from #380 to #590 (Minus the magazines) to see if they have the same or if perhaps different printings then what is currently on the site. Its sort of spotty around that range (Everything after that I have doubts of having another printing).

Thats whenever you have the time btw.

ShaneG.