First Fantasy Campaign Printings?
Author

Active Collector

Post Posted: Mon Oct 03, 2005 5:04 am 

Folks,

I'm looking through my copy of Dave Arneson's "First Fantasy Campaign," and I noticed something interesting. The copyright statement on page 2 says (C) 1980, but Bob Bledsaw's Forward (sic.) on the following page is dated August 9, 1977.

I acquired First Fantasy Campaign at Gen Con in the mid-90s, and no one seemed to think it was anything close to a collector's item. My assumption at the time was that the merchant was selling off bunches of these because he had a trove of them.

I wonder if it's possible that First Fantasy Campaign had multiple printings. Does anyone know for sure?

Thanks,

Erik Mona

Long-Winded Collector
Subweb Admin
JG Valuation Board

Post Posted: Mon Oct 03, 2005 5:29 am 

Erik Mona wrote:Folks,

I'm looking through my copy of Dave Arneson's "First Fantasy Campaign," and I noticed something interesting. The copyright statement on page 2 says (C) 1980, but Bob Bledsaw's Forward (sic.) on the following page is dated August 9, 1977.

I acquired First Fantasy Campaign at Gen Con in the mid-90s, and no one seemed to think it was anything close to a collector's item. My assumption at the time was that the merchant was selling off bunches of these because he had a trove of them.

I wonder if it's possible that First Fantasy Campaign had multiple printings. Does anyone know for sure?

Thanks,

Erik Mona

1st Printing: (1977) Cover print is a very dark red, has no index number and a large $7.98. Along with the words "first fantasy campaign playing aid by Dave Arneson, Judges Guild"

2nd Printing: (1979) 96 Pages with pages only numbered 1 to 92. Now has the price at the bottom of the cover. Title page states '2nd printing'.

3rd Printing: (1980) 64 pages. Price at the bottom of the cover is hard to read.

ShaneG.

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Mon Oct 03, 2005 6:50 am 

Plaag wrote:

1st Printing: (1977) Cover print is a very dark red, has no index number and a large $7.98. Along with the words "first fantasy campaign playing aid by Dave Arneson, Judges Guild"

2nd Printing: (1979) 96 Pages with pages only numbered 1 to 92. Now has the price at the bottom of the cover. Title page states '2nd printing'.

3rd Printing: (1980) 64 pages. Price at the bottom of the cover is hard to read.

ShaneG.

damn you just beat me to it - thats it there erik!

shane - i will scan the 1st print tonight and mail you ok?

Are we nearly there yet?

Active Collector

Post Posted: Sun Oct 09, 2005 9:14 pm 

Interesting. I appear to have a third printing.

Does the difference in pages between the printings reflect a substantial difference in content? Or is it more of a font size/layout issue?

Thanks for the help, guys. I really appreciate it.

--Erik

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Mon Oct 10, 2005 2:33 am 

Erik Mona wrote:Interesting. I appear to have a third printing.

Does the difference in pages between the printings reflect a substantial difference in content? Or is it more of a font size/layout issue?

Thanks for the help, guys. I really appreciate it.

--Erik

Erik, its more of a font/layout issue - the details themselves are pretty much the same. i did a comparison some time back but am too tired to find the thread on here :D

Al

Are we nearly there yet?

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Tue Oct 11, 2005 9:04 am 

There are 2 printings of the first edition and 1 of the second that I know of. I have 3 different ones.

If you hit a Rowsdower, you get to keep it.