Author

Sage Collector

Post Posted: Mon Oct 03, 2005 7:21 pm 

Plaag wrote:Do the journals have a black mark on them across the top or bottom (across the pages that is, not cover)?

That's a good question.

Black mark (or notch, as used to be on books) = remainder stock.

Wouldn't have expected that on single page journals, but then...

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Mon Oct 03, 2005 9:29 pm 

Plaag wrote:Do the journals have a black mark on them across the top or bottom (across the pages that is, not cover)?

Yep, they are marked across the bottom.  Looks kinda like they stacked them up together and half-heartedly ran a marker across them.

Sage Collector

Post Posted: Mon Oct 03, 2005 10:04 pm 

blackdougal wrote:

Yep, they are marked across the bottom. Looks kinda like they stacked them up together and half-heartedly ran a marker across them.

:(

More thorough than I'd've expected from JG.

The reason for clearly remaindering discounted items makes sense in the context of protecting against refund requests greater than the actual purchase price, but extending that to include single sheet journals is rather unusual.

Will certainly watch out for single copies marked thus (if obvious!).

thx.

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Tue Oct 04, 2005 1:48 am 

harami2000 wrote:
Will certainly watch out for single copies marked thus (if obvious!).

thx.

i dont recollect any of the few single page/newspaper journals that i have, have any colour markings like that, but will check again when i get a chance

Are we nearly there yet?

Long-Winded Collector
Subweb Admin
JG Valuation Board

Post Posted: Tue Oct 04, 2005 11:28 am 

It should only be the book format ones..I know for a fact the early ones (I-M) are not like this, and the newspaper journals may or may not have the mark (those I'd have to check).

ShaneG.

Long-Winded Collector
Subweb Admin
JG Valuation Board

Post Posted: Sat Nov 12, 2005 12:59 pm 

Well forgot to mention this, but the Pegasus Value Pack (Auction seen here: http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... 8715103224 ) has the black mark along its top, though 3 of the mags are upside down so on their bottom. This is how most of my Dungeoneers and Journals are (Newspaper ones do have the black mark, just not the early ones) and I've even got a Ready Ref Vol2 (4th print overall of #14 1981) book with this mark which would be from 1021 Fantasy Game Aid Pack.
Now in all honesty I never knew this Pegasus Value Pack existed till the auction. But it now has me convinced that the Dungeoneer Value Pack should have been numbered 1054. Case in point (since one could argue why not 1057) is that from 1050 to 1056 they are in alphabetical order. Now this doesn't corispond with the earlier value packs of 1021-1026 but then there is no problem with missing #s for those :?
1050        Science Fiction Adventure Campaign Pack
1051        Science Fiction Campaign Booster Pack
1052        Science Fiction Campaign Game Aide Pack
1053        Science Fiction Campaign Pack
1055        The Journal Value Pack
1056        The Pegasus Value Pack
No #        The Dungeoneer Value Pack

ShaneG.

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sat Nov 12, 2005 3:54 pm 

Plaag wrote:
blackdougal wrote:
I've got one still in the shrink, so I can't really verify the contents. It looks like seven of the regular magazine format Journals and a big stack of the newspaper ones. Mine looks like the one pictured on JG Codex... i.e. it states that it comes with Journals I, J, K, M, O, P, Q, R, S, T, 12-21 and Dungeoneer Journal 25.

Do the journals have a black mark on them across the top or bottom (across the pages that is, not cover)?

ShaneG.

I had no idea that a combined pack of the newsprint JG journals existed!

Talk about a nice item!  The only thing that would suck for me is if it came shrinkwrapped...and therefore I could not open it without moral qualms and tons of historical guilt.

ONE THING THAT CONFUSES ME...WERE THE PUBLICATIONS SHIPPED WITH THE JOURNALS THE SAME AS THOSE SHIPPED SEPARATELY?

"But I have watched the dragons come, fire-eyed, across the world."

Long-Winded Collector
Subweb Admin
JG Valuation Board

Post Posted: Sat Nov 12, 2005 5:03 pm 

If you mean Installments, yeah the journals came either seperate or in the subscription installments.

3           Oct 1976          Installment I            Journal I and Booklet I
16         Dec 1976         Installment J         Journal J and Thunderhold Booklet J and Ready Ref Chart J-5
20         Feb 1977         Installment K         Journal K, City State Campaign One Booklet K and Ready Ref Sheet Wizard's Guide/Construction Costs & Time Required
27         Apr 1977         Installment L         Journal L, Tegel Manor Booklet L, Character Sheet, 17"x22" Manor and Area map and 11"x17" Manor and Area map
34         Jun 1977         Installment M         Journal M, Modron Play Aid and Monstrous Statistics Compendium Sheet
43         Aug 1977        Installment N         Journal N and Barbarian Altanis/Glow Worm Steppes Maps
49         Oct 1977         Installment O         Journal O and Valon/Tarantis Maps
54         Dec 1977        Installment P         Journal P and Thieves of Fortress Badabaskor
57         Feb 1978         Installment Q         Journal Q and GenCon IX Dungeon
59         Apr 1978         Installment R         Journal R and Village Book I
65         Jun 1978        Installment S         Journal S and Citadel of Fire
72         Aug 1978         Installment T         Journal T and Frontier Forts of Kelnore
77         Dec 1978         Installment U         Journal U and ‘Apology' Sheet
83         Feb 1979         Installment V         Journal V, Book I of Wilderlands of the Magic Realm and Campaign Map #12-Isles of the Blest/ Campaign Map #13-Ebony Coast
91         Apr 1979        Installment W         Journal W, Book II of Wilderlands of the Magic Realm and Campaign Map #11-Ghinor/ Campaign Map #14-Ament Tundra
98         Jun 1979         Installment 15         Journal 15 and Survival of the Fittest
103         Aug 1979         Installment 16         Journal 16 and UNKNOWN
112         Oct 1979        Installment 17         Journal 17 and Mines of Custalcon
122         Dec 1979         Installment 18         Journal 18 and Tower of Ullision
165         Feb 1980         Installment 19         Journal 19 and Book I-Guidebook to Map 6
205         Apr 1980         Installment 20         Journal 20 and Book II-Guidebook to Shops
285         Jun 1980         Installment 21         Journal 21 and Book III-Guidebook to City
375         Aug 1980         Installment 22         Dungeoneer 19/Journal 22 and Book I of Wilderlands of the Fantastic Reaches
395         Oct 1980         Installment 23         Dungeoneers Journal 23 and Book II of Wilderlands of the Fantastic Reaches
455         Dec 1980         Installment 24         Dungeoneers Journal 24 and Temple Book I
475         Feb 1981         Installment 25         Dungeoneers Journal 25 and Castle Book II

ShaneG.

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Sat Nov 12, 2005 6:30 pm 

MShipley88 wrote:   ONE THING THAT CONFUSES ME...WERE THE PUBLICATIONS SHIPPED WITH THE JOURNALS THE SAME AS THOSE SHIPPED SEPARATELY?

MS well we "think" so, but we are currently debating all this right now, so if you can find anything out, please feel free to add to the discussion chummer :)

mind you though, they would have been the 1st prints tho, and of course a lot of the earlier JG publications had more than 1 print, such as frontier forts of kelnore, castle book 1 etc... but it doesnt necessarily mean that they changed this for shipping seperate....would have just been on a new print run.

Al

Are we nearly there yet?

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Mon Nov 14, 2005 7:05 am 

Anyone have a copy of JG1700 Pegasus 14?

This week I've been mostly eating . . . The white ones with the little red flecks in them.

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Mon Nov 14, 2005 7:26 am 

mbassoc2003 wrote:Anyone have a copy of JG1700 Pegasus 14?

i am trying at present to make a list of what i consider very rare/rare/uncommon/common with regards to JG items.

would be interested to hear what everyone else thinks right now, cos once i have finished compiling, i am going to then pass the list to shane for consideration and discuss things with him about it.

i would welcome ppl's thoughts on the following for now:

Pegasus 1, 2, 13, 14

Dungeoneer 1,2,3,4,5,6,7

journal 1 to 10

that seems a good place to start for now. i am also looking for any sale prices on the above if anyone has any too.

i will post up my list later in the week for ppl to shoot at :D

Al

Are we nearly there yet?

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Mon Nov 14, 2005 7:38 am 

I don't thing Pegasus 13 was ever published. So if anyone has a copy I'd say that was ultra-rare. I did have a copy of Pegasus 14, but I seem to have lost it. I've checked my history and I don't seem to have sold it, so I have no idea where it is. I've never seen another copy so that's why I was wondering if anyone had a copy.

This week I've been mostly eating . . . The white ones with the little red flecks in them.

Sage Collector

Post Posted: Mon Nov 14, 2005 8:31 am 

killjoy32 wrote:Pegasus 1, 2, 13, 14

If Pegasus #2 was remaindered in the value pack, they obviously printed too many. And by that stage print runs should've been in four figures for anything.
#1 still a bit of a pain, though...

#13, 14. Dunno. What evidence have we got for a reduction in print run (lack of popularity or cash flow issues?) vs. distribution problems near the end?

killjoy32 wrote:Dungeoneer 1,2,3,4,5,6,7

#7 isn't overly rare or expensive (couple of dollars) when it does come up.
#1-6 are definitely scarce.
None of those are JG, however; aside for #7 which was distributed by JG.
http://asta-www.informatik.uni-hamburg. ... nontsr/jg/
(The #1-6 Compendium is another matter).

killjoy32 wrote:journal 1 to 10

The early journals are elusive; quite often missing from the installments and even those are none too common. JG probably may still have had a few left over at the end judging by the booty list, but evidence might suggest those were pulped rather than remaindered en-bulk.

A few of the later ones are uncommon, but even when they come up they can sit around with $1 BINs for days.

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Mon Nov 14, 2005 9:40 am 

harami2000 wrote:A few of the later ones are uncommon, but even when they come up they can sit around with $1 BINs for days.

thanks for that david....on top of everything else going on (:D) i will start making notes and put up my thoughts with regards to these.

however, the journals above 11 are very common. for a start, terry is sitting on shitloads of each issue, believe me. and when i say a lot i mean a lot :D

the purpose atm is just to justify a level of rarity for each item. not going into too much depth right not due to different prints etc. want to just start on the easy stuff first and then liaise with shane with regards to the more complicated ones.

the values we can discuss after.

of course, something can still be rare, but not command the $ anyway.

Al

Are we nearly there yet?

Sage Collector

Post Posted: Mon Nov 14, 2005 9:51 am 

killjoy32 wrote:thanks for that david....on top of everything else going on (:D) i will start making notes and put up my thoughts with regards to these.

however, the journals above 11 are very common. for a start, terry is sitting on shitloads of each issue, believe me. and when i say a lot i mean a lot :D

I meant a few of the later ones in the 1-10 range, Al... ;)

killjoy32 wrote:the values we can discuss after.

of course, something can still be rare, but not command the $ anyway.

Discuss values? Novel concept, that! :P *jk*

Yup, and vice versa, a few of the more common items still fetch very good $.

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Mon Nov 14, 2005 10:14 am 

well i have just started to keep tabs on some items now, so gonna try and build up some form of database if i can get the time together to do it.

think it will be a start on the way to having some form of valuation schedule on the JG sub-web.

Al

Are we nearly there yet?

Long-Winded Collector
Subweb Admin
JG Valuation Board

Post Posted: Mon Nov 14, 2005 2:59 pm 

killjoy32 wrote:
mbassoc2003 wrote:Anyone have a copy of JG1700 Pegasus 14?

i am trying at present to make a list of what i consider very rare/rare/uncommon/common with regards to JG items.

would be interested to hear what everyone else thinks right now, cos once i have finished compiling, i am going to then pass the list to shane for consideration and discuss things with him about it.

i would welcome ppl's thoughts on the following for now:

Pegasus 1, 2, 13, 14

judgesguild.net
judgesguild.net
From Kara Geilman: "It was a bad month when 13 was to come out, so, being superstitios, we decided to skip the number. There actually was a 13th edition, however, it was lost when the doors were closed. We didnt see the point of making another 13 and jinxing it."
2 is indeed in the Pegasus Value Pack (You don't see it as often though as later) and from JG catalogs I know Pegasus #1 sold out (maybe this is due to them only having 1 magazine to fill subscriptions when originally they had the Journal and Dungeoneer)

killjoy32 wrote:Dungeoneer 1,2,3,4,5,6,7

Dungeoneer #1
1st printing: (1976) June
2nd printing: (1977) March
3rd printing: (1977) August
Dungeoneer #2
1st printing: (1976) September
Dungeoneer #3
1st printing: (1976) December
2nd printing: (1977) August
Dungeoneer #4
1st printing: (1977) March
2nd printing: (1977) August
Dungeoneer #5
1st printing: (1977) June
Dungeoneer #6
1st printing: (1977) October
Sometime early 1978 1-6 were sold out and they started selling item #73 Dungeoneer Compendium of Issues 1-6 (A letter came with Dungeoneer 7 released for March/April)
Dungeoneer 7 and Dungeoneer 8 were scheduled to be in The Dungeoneer-The Continued Compendium ($2.00). (I want to say this should have been item number 74)

killjoy32 wrote:journal 1 to 10

that seems a good place to start for now. i am also looking for any sale prices on the above if anyone has any too.

i will post up my list later in the week for ppl to shoot at :D

Al

Well I got all of my initial copies of the Journals/Dungeoneers from the Value Packs so they must not be that rare.
I, J, K, L - Circulation unknown
M - Circulation 1217
N - Circulation 1549
O - Circulation 1671
P, Q, R and S - Circulation 2200 each (which must have been a number they could meet with however many more printed up in reserve for back issue orders, etc)
I have an extra copy of Journal 4 (M) and 8 (Q)..would have to check to see if thats it.

ShaneG.

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Mon Nov 14, 2005 4:45 pm 

So 13 was never released to the public. BB indicates in issue 14 that it may have been....

judgesguild.net/guildhall/pegasus/pegas ... hers.shtml

I take it that #2 is common. How much do issues #1 and #14 do for?

PreviousNext