CSIO
Author

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Fri Sep 02, 2005 3:01 am 

I read somewhere that they do match up, but I've tried and can't get them to match at all. It was in an interview with Arneson and he said they had to change his original map slightly to make it match up with the top edge of the Wilderlands maps. I can't get them to match up at all. I think they are two different scales as well.

This week I've been mostly eating . . . The white ones with the little red flecks in them.

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Fri Sep 02, 2005 4:32 am 

mbassoc2003 wrote:I read somewhere that they do match up, but I've tried and can't get them to match at all. It was in an interview with Arneson and he said they had to change his original map slightly to make it match up with the top edge of the Wilderlands maps. I can't get them to match up at all. I think they are two different scales as well.

ian, do us a favour mate, PM me your address, so i can send you up that Inferno and Beholder#16.

Al

Are we nearly there yet?

Long-Winded Collector
Subweb Admin
JG Valuation Board

Post Posted: Fri Sep 02, 2005 3:55 pm 

BLACKMOOR

Published by TSR as part of the original D&D books. Then Dave Arneson subsequently severed ties with TSR.

Sometime around 1979 after Bob Bledsaw had created Judges Guild and was publishing the Wilderlands campaign world, Dave Arneson teamed up with Judges Guild to publish The First Fantasy Campaign. Its map was scaled at 10 miles per hex. This map included the northernmost part of the Valley Of The Ancients and was supposed to fit into the Wilderlands world just above the NE maps of the Valley Of The Ancients campaign map. The Valley was on both the Blackmoor map and the Wilderlands map. The only problem was that the Wilderlands were on 5 mile per hex maps.

TSR published the Blackmoor campaign world (for Mystara) in the 90s though the map's hexes were now 24 miles to the hex even though they covered the same amount of map space as the 10 mile hexes in FFC. The City Of The Gods module shortened the Valley and made it much smaller (plus they corrected the hex scale..I want to say to 12 miles but I don't have that module in front of me atm).

Now that Blackmoor is being published for d20 it still has the Valley of Ancients, but a different configuration so again does not line up well with the Wilderlands map.

ShaneG.

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sun Oct 23, 2005 6:12 pm 

Does anyone have a spare map #6 sitting in their odds and ends bin?   :)

I have not succeeded in purchasing a CSOWE that has a copy.  I don't know how the player's map and the DM's map match up on this one.  Are they back to back or are they separate publications?    :?

"But I have watched the dragons come, fire-eyed, across the world."

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sun Oct 23, 2005 6:18 pm 

Unfortunately Map 6 (1 Judges and 1 Players) was only ever published with CSWE. People tended to buy CSWE to get the map to complete their Wilderlands Campaign Map Set. But CSWE never lived up to its predecessor. It was pretty crap. So there are a lot of copies out there sans Maps 6.

The presence of a full set of maps helps puch the price of CSWE up. Otherwise it would no doubt be just another mundane JG product.

This week I've been mostly eating . . . The white ones with the little red flecks in them.

Long-Winded Collector
Subweb Admin
JG Valuation Board

Post Posted: Sun Oct 23, 2005 6:33 pm 

In the catalogs I have those maps could be purchased seperately.
Though it is true CSWE does seem to lack those maps often...You may want to try Terry (Fencert) to see if he has any.

ShaneG.

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sun Oct 23, 2005 8:02 pm 

I am surprised that Tarantis does not command more attention.  It is a very good product and very useable.

I collect fantasy cities, and Tarantis is one of the best.

Verbosh is also great...very funny and lots of stuff to do.    :lol:

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Mon Oct 24, 2005 2:19 am 

MShipley88 wrote:I am surprised that Tarantis does not command more attention. It is a very good product and very useable.

I collect fantasy cities, and Tarantis is one of the best.

Verbosh is also great...very funny and lots of stuff to do.  :lol:

yeah Tarantis is fab.

i had a list of maps terry has, but cant find the list hmmm

dont recollect him having map 6 though i have to say. it is prb the hardest map to find imo.

i have 5 CSWE's but only 3 maps 6's and yes, ian is right - its total bobbins in comparison to some of the other products.

Al

Are we nearly there yet?

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Fri Oct 28, 2005 1:22 am 

I suspect that the maps got separated from most of the CSWE copies because the maps were so much more useful than the booklets.

How many shopkeepers named Broob the Drool Stooge or Hairy Hank Halbred the Fishmonger (with 35 sp hidden under the counter) does a DM need?  (The names are almost a provocation to kill them, aye?)    :wink:

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Fri Oct 28, 2005 2:49 am 

MShipley88 wrote:How many shopkeepers named Broob the Drool Stooge or Hairy Hank Halbred the Fishmonger (with 35 sp hidden under the counter) does a DM need? (The names are almost a provocation to kill them, aye?)  :wink:

well actually, i have a copy of CSWE shops from many years ago and its quite tatty now (apart from about 4 / 5 other sets mind) - and i always used that whenever i had a town or city that ppl travelled to wherever...it was handy to just use that whenever i needed names or info. for a while, it was the only JG book i had - i was given it by another mate who also used it when DMing and reckoned it was a really handy book.

frankly, i have to agree and i quite like the names tbh :)

Al

Are we nearly there yet?

Previous