Silliest auction price - Judges Guild!
Author

Long-Winded Collector
Subweb Admin
JG Valuation Board

Post Posted: Mon Jan 23, 2006 4:40 pm 

faro wrote:I don't know whether History of Judges Guild has been modified since the email I sent you last year, but I'll re-copy that anyhow, if that's OK.
As that "history" currently reads, white "I"s are stated to have been sent with the first regular installment whereas we know that orange "I"s were sent with that (full-scale) subscription.
And the only white "I" known in original context (with mailer) did not get sent with journal #0.

Last the page was modified was Dec 3rd, got your email on the 5th. I think I may have equated mailer as the subscription and not put the contents of white I and maps as being seperate. If that is the case, was this mailer considered a subscription/installment on its own? As in it's installment I, and the subscription is what inclues Journal #0 plus other contents? (Course it would not be the only Installment that got changed..K without Ref sheet, L with extra Ref sheet both initially)
And to answer the other question from that email..Later journals show that the Tac cards were printed in a larger quantity, but as for if the first prints were the 40-50 batches and 2nd prints the rest I guess james maybe can find out. Course not difinative, but the 1st and 2nd may have some of the same cards, with new title card.

me wrote:
Shane wrote:White I info came from the early pages of the JG Question thread and Mike/IO. The brown I's would have started to be sent out when they came back from the printer some time in Oct-Dec of 76. The tac cards were done one month before the I booklet, so reams of them would have been printed off. (and since some uncut sheets were sold at the GenCon auction this year, they may not have cut the cards up until orders/subscriptions were placed.)

Judges Guild Questions
"It's not a Xerox copy, it's definitely printed, and it came in a sealed JG mailer [NON-POSTMARKED; see correction- but also
contained an original GenCon IX = Aug '76].... Because in the envelope there was only the Guideline Booklet I (White), and the
CSotIO maps (the four maps are made with a different heavy-stock paper than the two other sets we have from envelopes P.O. marked
October 76), and the envelope did not contain Journal # I. The two with the October 76 post mark has all three of the items normaly
included in these mailers. The orangey-brown Initial Guideline Booklet I, The Maps, and the Journal # I, that states October 76 on
the cover."

Mike notes those he has which were sent out pmk'd October 76 had a /orange-brown/ "I" booklet.
The white "I" was presumably sent out before that date with those "different heavy-stock paper" CSotIO maps (hand-folded?), but
/without/ Journal "I".
There's nothing in Mike's evidence to say that White "I"s were sent out with the first regular mailing in Oct '76 c/w
History of Judges Guild .

The Tac Cards were done just before the "I" journal (hence the note about last minute cutting). Would be September or into October.
That could still have been after, or at the same time, as the "I" booklet; no need for the sequence numbers to translate directly
into chronological order.

What d'you think?
[/quote]

Actually 4 section City State maps were first, given GenCon 76 and what helps start the company (Journal I seems to never have been given an item number..but #0 has been floating around the internet for a while now) and does came later in the secquence of things. Does anyone know when the 76 GenCon was, given August, but specific dates?
James it seems we need clearer answers on this history..
Since Oct now (course when who knows) has the orangey-brown Initial Guideline Booklet I, Journal I, (no postmark) has white I, "While writing Booklet "I", Bob and Bill come up with the Dungeon Tac Cards and publish those first (product #2)." by this it would go Item #1, #2, #3 white, #3 orangey-brown, #0 Journal I (when were more #1s reprinted?, and did the #9 actually come before #3 just get held off because of the sizing mix up?)

ShaneG.

Long-Winded Collector

Post Posted: Mon Jan 23, 2006 9:28 pm 

Plaag wrote:Last the page was modified was Dec 3rd, got your email on the 5th.

Good, good. Just had to cover my back in case there had been minor edits, since. :)

Plaag wrote:I think I may have equated mailer as the subscription

That would tally, I think.

Plaag wrote:was this mailer considered a subscription/installment on its own?

Don't think so, in the case of Mike/IOs one, esp. with a GenCon IX included (aside: and I'm still not sure why the second edition, reprinted/released/purchased one year later according to the auction description, is listed as a "first printing" at GenCon IX Dungeon , btw ;)).

Plaag wrote:Actually 4 section City State maps were first, given GenCon 76 and what helps start the company...

*nods*. Didn't say otherwise.
Hey, at least we've got the right year, now! :)

August 20-22, 1976, btw. (TD#1)

Plaag wrote:James it seems we need clearer answers on this history..

Is nearly there, now.
But would personally prefer physical evidence as well as recollections: much incorrect info on TSR material has been based on unsurprisingly imperfect memories.

Cheers.

Long-Winded Collector
Subweb Admin
JG Valuation Board

Post Posted: Tue Jan 24, 2006 8:26 am 

faro wrote:
Plaag wrote:was this mailer considered a subscription/installment on its own?

Don't think so, in the case of Mike/IOs one, esp. with a GenCon IX included (aside: and I'm still not sure why the second edition, reprinted/released/purchased one year later according to the auction description, is listed as a "first printing" at GenCon IX Dungeon , btw ;)).

I wish Mike <IO> would come back over here..dwarvenforge taking up a lot of his time?
Well I know the title page is different then the green copy' title page, though the same as the red (were I got those title page scans from I'd have to check, but it doesn't seem to appear on the other 2 old sites...) Anyhow "From what I can gather this is similar to the later self-published version (1st Print)*. This is not a copy of the self-published version as there is no evidence of the hole punches. Probably a pre-pub or unbound copy he used for tourney play**. It does have some notes and marks from being played at GenCon X but is in great complete condition."
*self published version refering to here is the red cover.
**Did he use this at GenCon IX though is why I placed it as 1st, since it was Mr Blakes..now he'd have had the original..not sure how many copies of that original he would have made. Yeah it says 2nd edition but then did he ever keep the first.

This would easily be cleared up if Mike provided answers since his was definately 1976 given whats in the mailer, and mine definately 1977 given the history on it.  I do however see that I should have also included my copy's history since its the scans being used.

Can I say I hate seeing 'Need Scan' as the lazy, uneducated, don't care, :P , short answer? :wink: Yeah thats not me..NM..see post above.

ShaneG.

Long-Winded Collector
Subweb Admin
JG Valuation Board

Post Posted: Tue Jan 24, 2006 8:29 am 

Oh and on TOPIC:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... 8756023802

Glad some of the site is being used in other auctions..sad to see the auction try and feed off of the White I one. :roll:

ShaneG.

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Tue Jan 24, 2006 9:02 am 

And only $20 to ship Parcel Post. What a bargain!

Long-Winded Collector

Post Posted: Wed Feb 01, 2006 5:08 pm 

Obviously the last hidden item is worth more than I'd've guessed... ;)
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... 8757338024
$153 with 1 day to go

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Wed Feb 01, 2006 5:23 pm 

faro wrote:Obviously the last hidden item is worth more than I'd've guessed... ;)
$153 with 1 day to go

Well, that is one auction that I can now remove from my watch list. :wink:

"He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you." -Neitzche

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Wed Feb 01, 2006 6:40 pm 

bclarkie wrote:
faro wrote:Obviously the last hidden item is worth more than I'd've guessed... ;)
$153 with 1 day to go

The stupidity continues............ $202.50.

"He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you." -Neitzche

Long-Winded Collector

Post Posted: Wed Feb 01, 2006 6:40 pm 

bclarkie wrote:
$153 with 1 day to go

Is $203 with 22 hours to go any better?

If there's a Pharaoh, it's better hidden than the last one in a JG lot! :)

=
(Interesting; we deadlocked on this thread, Brian!)

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Wed Feb 01, 2006 6:45 pm 

faro wrote:
bclarkie wrote:Well, that is one auction that I can now remove from my watch list. :wink:

Is $203 with 22 hours to go any better?

If there's a Pharaoh, it's better hidden than the last one in a JG lot! :)

=
(Interesting; we deadlocked on this thread, Brian!)

I noticed that. :wink:  FWIW, I love it when auctions go all stupid like that, it takes away the temptation of my bidding on them. :o

Verbose Collector

Post Posted: Wed Feb 01, 2006 8:00 pm 

I see some Geomorphs...any chance they are the Outdoor? That might help some. Anyone here ask them to provide a list?

Information Superhighway - A Rough Whimper of Insanity - Scott Hansen

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Wed Feb 01, 2006 8:05 pm 

Marlith wrote:I see some Geomorphs...any chance they are the Outdoor? That might help some. Anyone here ask them to provide a list?

I haven't asked, but unless I am comletely missing it, I do not see any Geos in there.  I see what could be a M&T assortment 1-3, but no Geos. :?

Verbose Collector

Post Posted: Thu Feb 02, 2006 4:43 am 

bclarkie wrote:
Marlith wrote:I see some Geomorphs...any chance they are the Outdoor? That might help some. Anyone here ask them to provide a list?

I haven't asked, but unless I am comletely missing it, I do not see any Geos in there. I see what could be a M&T assortment 1-3, but no Geos. :?

Two up from the M&T and right below the Fantastic Realm. Not sure what that is thjought it might be the cover of a Geo? I have ask for a list but nothing back from them. My thoiught is that they are happy with the price and don't see the reason to work any more  :lol:

Information Superhighway - A Rough Whimper of Insanity - Scott Hansen

Long-Winded Collector

Post Posted: Sun Feb 05, 2006 6:32 am 

Huh...? :?
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... 8759374616

Long-Winded Collector
Subweb Admin
JG Valuation Board

Post Posted: Sun Feb 05, 2006 6:39 am 

I have one if thats why you are wondering. Good deal otherwise for a 2nd print (1st print release through JG).

ShaneG.

Long-Winded Collector

Post Posted: Sun Feb 05, 2006 6:46 am 

re. JG #80
Plaag wrote:I have one if thats why you are wondering.

No, that's not what I was wondering. I knew that, Shane! ;)

Plaag wrote:Good deal otherwise for a 2nd print (1st print release through JG).

Erm, could it have been much "better"? Those are normally pretty roughed-up, too.

Thanks for not throwing in a snipe there. My own bid wasn't exactly high, either.

=
*checks elsewhere* Hmm; looks like someone actually wants that laminated low-mid grade Inferno...

Long-Winded Collector
Subweb Admin
JG Valuation Board

Post Posted: Sun Feb 05, 2006 6:54 am 

faro wrote:re. JG #80
Plaag wrote:I have one if thats why you are wondering.

No, that's not what I was wondering. I knew that, Shane! ;)

Plaag wrote:Good deal otherwise for a 2nd print (1st print release through JG).

Erm, could it have been much "better"? Those are normally pretty roughed-up, too.

Thanks for not throwing in a snipe there. My own bid wasn't exactly high, either.

=
*checks elsewhere* Hmm; looks like someone actually wants that laminated low-mid grade Inferno...

If I don't need it, then I won't bid on it.
Oh and what email did you send the scans to, nothing large showed up in my inbox or bulk mail folders.. just wondering.

ShaneG.

Long-Winded Collector

Post Posted: Sun Feb 05, 2006 7:36 am 

Plaag wrote:Oh and what email did you send the scans to, nothing large showed up in my inbox or bulk mail folders.. just wondering.

At a guess, I don't think your bulk mail folder could've coped with 24 megs... :oops:

That particular sub definitely started with J; the included sheet and final sub letter marked on the address label confirm that.

PreviousNext