Silliest auction price - Judges Guild!
Post new topic Reply to topic Page 13 of 20123 ... 10, 11, 12, 13, 14 ... 181920
Author

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sun Oct 14, 2007 8:51 pm 

Well...congratulations on the auctions.  Great scores!

"But I have watched the dragons come, fire-eyed, across the world."

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Mon Oct 15, 2007 6:23 am 

tdewey has done very well on them 2 items.

i would say both are overpriced there quite substantially, despite whatever rarity rating they hold.

if someone wants one though, well thats how it works.....

nice!

have seen about 4 fantastic reaches go anything from $15 to $60

CSWE though is a funny one as its value bounces around all the time. i think this is a demand item. when ppl want it they will dig deep, and at other times ppl look and *shrug* and thats that.

well done tdewey.

Al

Are we nearly there yet?

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Mon Oct 15, 2007 2:31 pm 

killjoy32 wrote:
CSWE though is a funny one as its value bounces around all the time. i think this is a demand item. when ppl want it they will dig deep, and at other times ppl look and *shrug* and thats that.

well done tdewey.

Al

I agree that CSWE is, in general, all over the map (and the current bid is higher than I expected).  As to the Fantastic Reaches -- this is the only version of this FR I've ever seen with the cover that actually reflect what was in the package -- every other FR I've seen (or heard) w/ cover has the treasure list on back and refers to 2 books when there is only one.  So I think this FR is a very smal but slightly amusing bit of JG history -- apparently they printed the covers for the additional booklets (this FR release) then revised the booklet into one book, kept the same covers but just printed a booty list on the back (other printings).  Bizarrely they kept the same cover (referencing the 2 booklets) even into the third edition.  

Which is my way of saying If that historical aspect as some value to a collector (i.e the guy with the current bid) than he or she may be willing to pay more than normal.  He gets a first edition 2 book FR + the first printing of the color cover  + whatever value he puts on the aspect.

Anyway -- enough of puffing my own auctions ;-)

Sage Collector
JG Valuation Board
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Mon Oct 15, 2007 10:15 pm 

Wow $80,000 for a Safari Simba

** expired/removed eBay auction **

Hang on a minute. That's supposed to be Simba Safari isn't it

Wow 94 cents!

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Tue Oct 16, 2007 5:59 am 

tdewey10 wrote:
I agree that CSWE is, in general, all over the map (and the current bid is higher than I expected).  As to the Fantastic Reaches -- this is the only version of this FR I've ever seen with the cover that actually reflect what was in the package -- every other FR I've seen (or heard) w/ cover has the treasure list on back and refers to 2 books when there is only one.  So I think this FR is a very smal but slightly amusing bit of JG history -- apparently they printed the covers for the additional booklets (this FR release) then revised the booklet into one book, kept the same covers but just printed a booty list on the back (other printings).  Bizarrely they kept the same cover (referencing the 2 booklets) even into the third edition.  

Which is my way of saying If that historical aspect as some value to a collector (i.e the guy with the current bid) than he or she may be willing to pay more than normal.  He gets a first edition 2 book FR + the first printing of the color cover  + whatever value he puts on the aspect.

Anyway -- enough of puffing my own auctions ;-)

well its cool you got a good price either way. if someone wants to pay that much for it, then great :)

Al

Are we nearly there yet?

Verbose Collector
JG Valuation Board

Post Posted: Mon Oct 29, 2007 9:17 am 

This is the highest that I have ever seen one of these go for...  8O

Check out my Chaosium sourcebook.
Secrets of Tibet

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Mon Oct 29, 2007 10:31 am 

jasonw1239 wrote:This is the highest that I have ever seen one of these go for...  8O

Obviously, the bidders were unaware of the relatively common nature of the item.  I have not looked, but I'm pretty sure they could have paid about 1/4 of that price.

The cover blurb reads like Pirates of the Carribean.  The actual interior reads more like Ironhoof Highlands.

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Mon Oct 29, 2007 12:05 pm 

FormCritic wrote:The cover blurb reads like Pirates of the Carribean.  The actual interior reads more like Ironhoof Highlands.

That's just cruel...

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Mon Oct 29, 2007 2:54 pm 

jamesmishler wrote:
That's just cruel...

Pirates of Hagrost is typical of RPG pirate scenarios...others with the same basic problems would include Lair of the Freebooters, Freeport or Thieves Guild VI.

What the publishers of pirate adventuers always want to give us is pirate hideouts.

If they paid real attention to the pirate genre they would realize that what we actually need is good maps of pirate ships.

If they watched a pirate movie or two they would realize that most of the interesting action takes place aboard ship.

Anyone can draw a few huts and call them a pirate steading...or squiggle a few shapes and call them pirate islands.

Convincing ship maps, by comparison, are hard to render...and we need multi-deck maps of 3-4 different classes of vessels in order to fully staff a pirate adventure.  We need them in clear black and white so the maps can be photocopied and effectively used to show the relative positions of ships.

Instead of maps of ships what we almost always get is the names of ships and their captains....exactly what we don't need.

Another difficulty with pirate adventures is scaling them for level.  The typical pirate adventure includes action and situations that are best simulated at levels 1-3.  It is very hard to pull off anything really piratey after 4th level.

Finally, the pirate genre requires some sort of rules for cannon.  The pirate scenario calls for cannon as basic props...even though cannon almost never settle the basic issues in a pirate story.  Without cannon the RPG pirate scenario devolves into groups of stereotype characters sailing past each other waving swords...or clearing entire decks with spells.

Pirates of Hagrost has all of these problems, plus bad art.

Sage Collector

Post Posted: Mon Oct 29, 2007 3:43 pm 

FormCritic wrote:What the publishers of pirate adventuers always want to give us is pirate hideouts.

I just received Hagrost, discovering exactly that. The back-cover blurb attempts a lame excuse: "How are the fearsome River Pirates different from than sea brethren?"

The existence of Sea Steeds plus Flotilla One suggest there should be modules to use them. I was hoping to compare Hagrost to modern RPGs like Pirates of the Spanish Main.

What about Corsairs of Tallibar, is it any better?

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Mon Oct 29, 2007 7:31 pm 

Corsairs of Talibar is a dungeon crawl....lots of Talibar, very little...um...corsairing.  :x  :scratch:

Prolific Collector
JG Valuation Board
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Tue Oct 30, 2007 2:19 am 

@ FormCritic

Hilarious  :lol: and true  :roll:

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Tue Oct 30, 2007 12:41 pm 

The two best pirate publications I have ever purchased were Blueprint PDF files from 0one games.  

(Find them on RPGNow or DriveThruRPG or on 0one's own website)  

(I believe 0one is located in Italy...but there are no language problems.)

One of the files is called Pirate Ship.  Not surprisingly, it is a map of all the decks of a pirate vessel.

The other file is called something like Pirate Island or Island Hideout or something like that (....just look through the Blueprint series listings for 0one and you'll find it).

The pirate island file has a...pirate island...but you get the plans for several very useful buildings as well as the top deck of a pirate ship.

In my own campaign I have named the island, "The Octopus," and I have staged some important roleplaying scenes there, including a shootout and a ship hijacking.

Since the 0one Blueprint PDF files cost $1.95 or less, they are the best values in gaming.  

They have features and options for adding and removing furniture, changing the thickness of the walls and printing in blue or black and white (I prefer blue).  You can also choose whether or not you want graph paper lines to show.

Because you are dealing with electronic files you can mix and match and print out copies whenever you need them.  There is one file, for instance, called Valley of Mages (or something just like that) with a selection of four mage towers to use however you need.  Score!

I have collected all the 0one Blueprint files and I buy the new ones as they come out.  Very useful.

I just wish 0one would put out more ship designs.

Oh...and any gamer with no time who needs a ready-made and ultra-useable city needs to check out the series of Blueprint files for The Great City. Really, really good.

Prolific Collector
JG Valuation Board
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Tue Oct 30, 2007 5:03 pm 

Thanks for the 411 on 0one.  I have looked at their products on Drivethru RPG before, but remained unconvinced of their utility.  I'm going to take a second look at their full line.

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Tue Oct 30, 2007 5:59 pm 

The thing about 0one products...they are inexpensive enough to try one out and see if you think they are worth it.

Since I am a guy who evaluates a module first by the maps, 0one products are really what I like.

Sage Collector

Post Posted: Tue Oct 30, 2007 6:35 pm 

FormCritic wrote:evaluates a module first by the maps

The maps are to fantasy what John Williams' soundtrack is to Star Wars.

Prolific Collector
JG Valuation Board
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Thu Nov 01, 2007 11:54 pm 

O.K., what am I missing here Shane?

Don't tell me those quarter section CSIO maps were the real deal.  I would have sworn those were just photo copies.

Also, if your not a Victorian/Edwardian period wargamer, maybe you would want to part with the miniature rules that were oddly mixed in with the JG stuff.

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Fri Nov 02, 2007 12:15 am 

leadjunkie wrote:O.K., what am I missing here Shane?

Don't tell me those quarter section CSIO maps were the real deal.  I would have sworn those were just photo copies.

Also, if your not a Victorian/Edwardian period wargamer, maybe you would want to part with the miniature rules that were oddly mixed in with the JG stuff.

I was wondering myself (what am I missing here?)...... 8O

A Wizard is never late, Frodo Baggins, nor is he early. He arrives precisely when he means to.

PreviousNext
Post new topic Reply to topic Page 13 of 20123 ... 10, 11, 12, 13, 14 ... 181920