City State of the World Emperor Question...
Author

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Mon Aug 01, 2005 5:03 pm 

Can anyone tell me which maps came with the City State of the World Emperor?

I just bought a CSOTWE copy that also has a map for Thunderhold.  Was this a part of the original set?

"But I have watched the dragons come, fire-eyed, across the world."

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Mon Aug 01, 2005 5:24 pm 

World Emperor came with two maps IIRC. The large fold out colour city map on white paper, and the Wilderlands Map 6 a 17"x11" pebble grain tan coloured map. There were also three books.

This week I've been mostly eating . . . The white ones with the little red flecks in them.

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Mon Aug 01, 2005 5:28 pm 

mbassoc2003 wrote:World Emperor came with two maps IIRC. The large fold out colour city map on white paper, and the Wilderlands Map 6 a 17"x11" pebble grain tan coloured map. There were also three books.

yeah what ian says here is spot on. the thunderhold map is from CISO, not world emperor. the only maps you should have is the city map and map 6.

Al

<EDIT>

this is off the JG webpage that me and ian use:

JG150-City State of the World Emperor
By Creighton Hippenhammer & Bob Bledsaw

One 34"x22" full color city map, two 17"x22" campaign maps (Judge, Player), new character class, and 208 pages of Fantastic Campaign Material in 3 books. Campaign Map 6.

Maps include:
Campaign Map #6-City State of the World Emperor

JG155-Book 1 - Guidebook to Map 6 is 48p.
JG156-Book II - Guidebook to Shops is 80p.
JG157-Book III - Guidebook to City is 80p.

Campaign Map 6 2nd-Comes with Judges Guild Journal Installment (#19)
City 2nd-Comes with Judges Guild Journal Installment (#20)
Shops 2nd-Comes with Judges Guild Journal Installment (#21)

Are we nearly there yet?

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Mon Aug 01, 2005 6:06 pm 

killjoy32 wrote:this is off the JG webpage that me and ian use...

Are there plans to rewrite that JG index here on Acaeum?

This week I've been mostly eating . . . The white ones with the little red flecks in them.

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Tue Aug 02, 2005 2:19 am 

I got four maps of various areas, in addition to the Thunderhold map.

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Tue Aug 02, 2005 2:25 am 

mbassoc2003 wrote:
killjoy32 wrote:this is off the JG webpage that me and ian use...

Ian

in addition to the other stuff that shane is doing with this subweb, i think he is trying to recreate a total JG library, including index... (shane correct me if i am wrong..)

Al

Are we nearly there yet?

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Tue Aug 02, 2005 2:26 am 

MShipley88 wrote:I got four maps of various areas, in addition to the Thunderhold map.

that sounds like the maps from CSIO.

what are the maps (bar for the thunderhold one, which IS from CSIO)?

Al

Are we nearly there yet?

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Tue Aug 02, 2005 2:51 am 

MShipley88 wrote:I got four maps of various areas, in addition to the Thunderhold map.

If the four maps go together to form a huge walled city and are printed on smooth tan coloured paper in dark brown/black, you have the maps for CSIO.

Long-Winded Collector
Subweb Admin
JG Valuation Board

Post Posted: Tue Aug 02, 2005 4:36 pm 

killjoy32 wrote:
mbassoc2003 wrote:

Ian

in addition to the other stuff that shane is doing with this subweb, i think he is trying to recreate a total JG library, including index... (shane correct me if i am wrong..)

Al

Yeah
Also the overall indexes are by item code, name or system. (Shall be easier to find something this way)

ShaneG.

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Tue Aug 02, 2005 5:14 pm 

In  my copy of CSOTWE I got:

1 City State Campaign Map #1 (players)
1 City State Campaign Map #1 (GM)
1 City State of the World Emperor  Map #6
1 Ironhold Castle of the Dwarven King
1 City State of the World Emperor (Color)
3 Books (Shops, City, Map 6)

Long-Winded Collector
Subweb Admin
JG Valuation Board

Post Posted: Tue Aug 02, 2005 5:22 pm 

MShipley88 wrote:In my copy of CSOTWE I got:

1 City State Campaign Map #1 (players)
1 City State Campaign Map #1 (GM)
1 City State of the World Emperor Map #6
1 Ironhold Castle of the Dwarven King
1 City State of the World Emperor (Color)
3 Books (Shops, City, Map 6)

You have:
JG18 Judges Campaign Map 1 -- for City State of Invincible Overlord
JG19 Players Campaign Map 1 -- for City State of Invincible Overlord
JG153 or 154 (not sure if you have Judge or Player) Campaign Map 6 - for City State of the World Emperor
JG15 (part) either you have Judge's Thunderhold Map 11x17 w/ Sunstone Caverns Map on reverse or the Player's Thunderhold Map 8.5x11
JG152 City Map - for City State of the World Emperor 34"x22" color map
JG155 thru JG157 for the 3 books.

So you are missing one Campaign Map 6 and cover sheet (unless you have a 3rd print which has the color cover on the shops book) for the CSotWE. and got a couple more maps extra from CSotIO.

ShaneG.

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Thu Aug 04, 2005 8:00 pm 

I think I am missing the players map #6.  I think my Thunderhold map is the GM map.

Long-Winded Collector
Subweb Admin
JG Valuation Board

Post Posted: Sat Feb 11, 2006 11:56 am 

judgesguild.net

(Was browsing through this again and have got to use this - plus check some notes again to see what else I may have passed up.. :? )

Anyhow, concerning CSWE:
"..Incidentally, our first copyright notice is in 1975 (Ed: actually 1976) but it is for the original maps and initial installment. Each time we published a title, we sent in a new copyright notice. Chuck Anshell eventually took over this responsibility and then Mike Reagan as Business Manager. We usually upgraded the cover and corrected any errors upon reprint.  

At first, I reprinted every time we ran out of any component. We finally sold out (or was gypped out) of World Emperors, I asked for an inventory of parts to be hand counted and this was never done. One book had a 3000 print run and the other two had 4000 print runs. We still had some maps but that is why it was not reprinted immediately.
Then the Fed raised interest rates on small corporations to 24%, the bankers had no money to lend, and customers began going under..."

So..I've confirmation on the 1st and 2nd having the same Guidebook to Map 6 (but I do not know, though now suspect that the odd GbMap6 perhaps was a 1000 book print run to fill in the 'gap' and sold as a '2nd' print). Any other ideas on this? Also anyone have two different city maps? (or was Bob refering to the CM #6 since that has 2 printings for the players map at least.)

ShaneG.

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Sat Feb 11, 2006 1:41 pm 

Plaag wrote:So..I've confirmation on the 1st and 2nd having the same Guidebook to Map 6 (but I do not know, though now suspect that the odd GbMap6 perhaps was a 1000 book print run to fill in the 'gap' and sold as a '2nd' print). Any other ideas on this? Also anyone have two different city maps? (or was Bob refering to the CM #6 since that has 2 printings for the players map at least.)

ShaneG.

thing is shane, this is kinda what i was getting at with regards to a lot of the older JG items. i think its terrifically hard to pin down "prints" so to speak, because there is most definately going to be instances where 1 print will have a particular item and another of the same will not have it...

Al

Are we nearly there yet?

Long-Winded Collector
Subweb Admin
JG Valuation Board

Post Posted: Sat Feb 11, 2006 3:23 pm 

killjoy32 wrote:
Plaag wrote:So..I've confirmation on the 1st and 2nd having the same Guidebook to Map 6 (but I do not know, though now suspect that the odd GbMap6 perhaps was a 1000 book print run to fill in the 'gap' and sold as a '2nd' print). Any other ideas on this? Also anyone have two different city maps? (or was Bob refering to the CM #6 since that has 2 printings for the players map at least.)

ShaneG.

thing is shane, this is kinda what i was getting at with regards to a lot of the older JG items. i think its terrifically hard to pin down "prints" so to speak, because there is most definately going to be instances where 1 print will have a particular item and another of the same will not have it...

Al

You have products in mind regarding that statement?

We usually upgraded the cover and corrected any errors upon reprint

Would explain Tegel, in a way, have a bunch of the booklets, but not enough cover sheets..sell out of one cover sheet print another. (If not a print run what is a better way to call it...)
Also could explain the few instances of shrinkwrapped books without cover sheets (Village Book 2, etc comes to mind), is not another printing, just a different 'wrapping' (like Jade Hare with cover and without)...so curious about your (and others) opinion for handling this.

ShaneG.

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Sat Feb 11, 2006 4:32 pm 

i seriously think it was like that with mostly everything at instalment level, ie say JG 80 and less

would explain so many little things, specially with tegel and modron and even CSIO

Al

Are we nearly there yet?

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Sun Feb 12, 2006 4:36 am 

I got CSWE as a bonus for resubscribing to JG.  I think I also got both Magic Realm volumes and the campaign maps.  I got Magic Realm with the subscription installments so I ended up with two.  It seems like I got my CSWE before Magic Realm came out in installments.  I would have gotten the bonus Magic Realm volumes at the same time.  Did JG sell stuff individually before it was sent out with the subscriptions.  That might explain different packaging on old JG.

Long-Winded Collector
Subweb Admin
JG Valuation Board

Post Posted: Sun Feb 12, 2006 9:09 am 

ddt58 wrote:I got CSWE as a bonus for resubscribing to JG.  I think I also got both Magic Realm volumes and the campaign maps.  I got Magic Realm with the subscription installments so I ended up with two.  It seems like I got my CSWE before Magic Realm came out in installments.  I would have gotten the bonus Magic Realm volumes at the same time.

Am curious as to what Guide to Map 6 book you have then (the one I have listed as '1st' or '2nd')? CSotWE Book I-Guidebook Map 6

Also curious (as I don't think I've seen evidence for it yet) is did you get the city map and campaign map 6 with those installments. (you also didn't keep the mailer/envelope by chance did you?)

ddt58 wrote:Did JG sell stuff individually before it was sent out with the subscriptions.  That might explain different packaging on old JG.

For subscription items IMHO no, here is evidence though regarding CSWE:
Installment 19 (Journal 19 + Book I-Guidebook to Map 6*) Feb/Mar 1980
Installment 20 (Journal 20 + Book II-Guidebook to Shops) Apr/May 1980
Installment 21         (Journal 21 + Book III-Guidebook to City) Jun/Jul 1980
Dungeoneer 16 (CSWE is listed as 'New') Mar/Apr 1980
Dragon #38 (lists this in ad) June 1980 (so May 1980 for when printed/distributed-maybe late April when ad is made and sent in)
Cover Sheet for CSWE (when item was bundled together) has Treasure Vault w highest #310 (first seen in Dungeoneer 18 Jul/Aug 1980)

*little side note: this has artwork (c) 1979 but no (c) 1980, being released early in the year would explain that.

Concievably CSWE would have been thought out, typed up and ready (as in all books/maps) before being released through Installments..thus they would know how to write their ads/description text having it all on hand.
I doubt Bob Bledsaw would release this to the general public before those who bought subscriptions would recieve it.

ShaneG.

Next