Wraith Overlord
Author

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sat Jul 30, 2005 6:55 pm 

Anyone else have and love Wraith Overlord?

"But I have watched the dragons come, fire-eyed, across the world."

Sage Collector

Post Posted: Sat Jul 30, 2005 7:05 pm 

*nods*. Seemed pretty neat, but I really need to give it a proper looking through.
*digs it out the stack* ;)

Well worth the $12 price. :)

=
(aside: Still wondering about those copies mentioned which was stated to be NIS, but only had one map (apparently)).

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Sat Jul 30, 2005 7:17 pm 

harami2000 wrote:*nods*. Seemed pretty neat, but I really need to give it a proper looking through.
*digs it out the stack* ;)

Well worth the $12 price. :)

=
(aside: Still wondering about those copies mentioned which was stated to be NIS, but only had one map (apparently)).

yeah i have two or three of them lying around somewhere. i got one non-shrinked once and i noticed it had the same quality that CSIO and wilderlands did, so yea a pretty cool item imo.

Al

Are we nearly there yet?

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sun Jul 31, 2005 2:52 am 

MShipley88 wrote:Anyone else have and love Wraith Overlord?

It's one of my favorite JG items.....a top tenner for sure.  In general, the encounters and descriptions are superior to 90% of the stuff being released by JG at the time, I don't know why this item was blessed with such excellent production values in the terms of being well written, but it is.  I have used several of the set piece encounters in my own campaign, and as parts of Undermountain in a long ago Forgotten Realms/Waterdeep setting.

Mike B.

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sun Jul 31, 2005 4:39 am 

I think the good writing had to do with Scott Fulton.  His stuff was usually of superior quality.  At the end, Judges Guild had adopted some pretty good typesetting and proofreading standards....but after they lost the Approved for AD&D label.

Where their quality often fell down was in their art.  Too much of the last publications have "pickup art" (art from previous JG publications) or classic scenes from public domain artwork that did not fit the storyline or give the proper feel to the contents.

Still puzzling over Demons of Dundurn, however.  I agree that there seems to be a page or two missing.  Pretty strange to design an adventure and leave the events a mystery....to the DM.

:x

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sun Aug 14, 2005 7:42 pm 

Speaking of Demons of Dundurn....I found a website that stated that 3000 of these were printed....shouldn't that make Demons of Dundurn one of the most rare Judges Guild publications?   :?

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Sun Aug 14, 2005 7:50 pm 

MShipley88 wrote:Speaking of Demons of Dundurn....I found a website that stated that 3000 of these were printed....shouldn't that make Demons of Dundurn one of the most rare Judges Guild publications?  :?

there are a few of the publications that have low numbers. the sci-fi packs all have low limited numbers too.

Al

Are we nearly there yet?

Sage Collector

Post Posted: Sun Aug 14, 2005 7:56 pm 

MShipley88 wrote:Speaking of Demons of Dundurn....I found a website that stated that 3000 of these were printed....shouldn't that make Demons of Dundurn one of the most rare Judges Guild publications? :?

http://asta-www.informatik.uni-hamburg. ... nontsr/jg/

Depends on whether that figure is more reliable than some of the TSR print runs bandied about? Probably...

Was that low print run partly owing to financial limitations towards the end, anyone?

Certainly doesn't appear on eBay outwith stores particularly often. Don't think I've got a copy, either.

However, all the first prints of the very early material should all have print runs lower than that, juding by the circulation figures printed on the journals.

Long-Winded Collector
Subweb Admin
JG Valuation Board

Post Posted: Sun Aug 14, 2005 8:03 pm 

harami2000 wrote:
MShipley88 wrote:Speaking of Demons of Dundurn....I found a website that stated that 3000 of these were printed....shouldn't that make Demons of Dundurn one of the most rare Judges Guild publications? :?

http://asta-www.informatik.uni-hamburg. ... nontsr/jg/

Depends on whether that figure is more reliable than some of the TSR print runs bandied about? Probably...

Was that low print run partly owing to financial limitations towards the end, anyone?

Certainly doesn't appear on eBay outwith stores particularly often. Don't think I've got a copy, either.

However, all the first prints of the very early material should all have print runs lower than that, juding by the circulation figures printed on the journals.

Indeed, not that low..now many companies do print runs like that or smaller. Course it was near the end (1982) so it maybe not common.

ShaneG.

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Sun Aug 14, 2005 8:05 pm 

harami2000 wrote:

i am meant to be getting a dozen or so of demons of dundurn soon when i have sorted a few other things out in the same deal, so will give you a shout when i have sorted it david. i dont think they are particularly rare, even though they dont show up that often. crazy egor has one up right now - the last two he's had up didnt sell and i have noticed about 5 out the last 7 i watched didnt sell either.

i think thats down to the fact that the items itself sucks :)

but yes, i think the majority of the first print items (at least the original ones back in the good old days) have lowish print runs.

Al

Are we nearly there yet?

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sun Aug 14, 2005 8:16 pm 

killjoy32 wrote:
harami2000 wrote:

i am meant to be getting a dozen or so of demons of dundurn soon when i have sorted a few other things out in the same deal, so will give you a shout when i have sorted it david. i dont think they are particularly rare, even though they dont show up that often. crazy egor has one up right now - the last two he's had up didnt sell and i have noticed about 5 out the last 7 i watched didnt sell either.

i think thats down to the fact that the items itself sucks :)

but yes, i think the majority of the first print items (at least the original ones back in the good old days) have lowish print runs.

Al

Demons of Dundurn only sucks because the writers or editors seem to have assumed that we would be able to figure out what was going on by osmosis.  

It makes no sense to leave the plotline a mystery....to the DM!

I have the feeling that what existed first was the map, and a story was written to support the map.  Too bad the story was left half finished...with the half appearing to consist of random pages omitted.

:?