d20 Wilderlands Box Set up fro preorder
Author

Long-Winded Collector
Subweb Admin
JG Valuation Board

Post Posted: Fri Jul 08, 2005 4:31 pm 

For those who collect all things Judges Guild, this item has a print run of only 2000 copies.

http://secure1.white-wolf.com/catalog/p ... cts_id=670

ShaneG.

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Fri Jul 08, 2005 7:35 pm 

Wow, $70... pricey.

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Fri Jul 08, 2005 7:55 pm 

El Diablo Robotico wrote:Wow, $70... pricey.

yeah i thought that :)

Are we nearly there yet?

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Sat Jul 09, 2005 12:33 am 

The production quality is supposed to be fabulous, and you can check out a preview on the NG web site at http://www.necromancergames.com/pdf/lenap/lenap.pdf and http://www.necromancergames.com/pdf/lenap/lenap_map.jpg

Allan Grohe ([email protected])
Greyhawk, grodog Style

Editor and Project Manager, Black Blade Publishing
https://www.facebook.com/BlackBladePublishing/

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Sat Jul 09, 2005 12:37 am 

grodog wrote:The production quality is supposed to be fabulous, and you can check out a preview on the NG web site at http://www.necromancergames.com/pdf/lenap/lenap.pdf and http://www.necromancergames.com/pdf/lenap/lenap_map.jpg

Whoever wrote the Lenap section, at least, has no grasp at all on the d20 Challenge Rating encounter system.

Not that I expect most folks that want this for JG purposes to care  :lol:

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Sat Jul 09, 2005 4:30 am 

GraysonAC wrote:
grodog wrote:The production quality is supposed to be fabulous, and you can check out a preview on the NG web site at http://www.necromancergames.com/pdf/lenap/lenap.pdf and http://www.necromancergames.com/pdf/lenap/lenap_map.jpg

Whoever wrote the Lenap section, at least, has no grasp at all on the d20 Challenge Rating encounter system.

Not that I expect most folks that want this for JG purposes to care :lol:

d20? ***shudders at the thought*** thats almost sacrilege to a JG item :)

Are we nearly there yet?

Long-Winded Collector
Subweb Admin
JG Valuation Board

Post Posted: Sat Jul 09, 2005 4:58 am 

killjoy32 wrote:
GraysonAC wrote:

Not that I expect most folks that want this for JG purposes to care :lol:

d20? ***shudders at the thought*** thats almost sacrilege to a JG item :)

This is where I put myself out there and say it doesn't bother me.
I like d20 and having Judges Guild come out under those rules it can only help (others may seek out the old stuff in my opinion). In all honesty it was me playing in a d20 Tegel Manor game that got me to collect JG items. I had only a couple of books prior to the collection explosion  :) (I'd never have even tried to get the Tac Cards  :wink: but don't blame that on d20  :D )

So to those who love the old and to those who love the new - Can't we all just get along!  :lol:

ShaneG.

Active Collector

Post Posted: Sat Jul 09, 2005 11:21 am 

GraysonAC wrote:Whoever wrote the Lenap section, at least, has no grasp at all on the d20 Challenge Rating encounter system.

"In the Wilderlands, the good lord never promised you a balanced encounter" - Old Valoninan proverb

"In the Wilderlands, no one can hear you scream...  Except what ever it is that's killing you...  And your friends..." -  Unknown Gnome Logger from Lightelf

I pre-ordered mine last night!

"It is by will alone I set my mind in motion.  It is by the juice of Saphoo that thoughts aquire speed; the lips aquire stains; the stains become a warning.  It is by will alone I set my mind in motion."

Active Collector

Post Posted: Sat Jul 09, 2005 11:23 am 

Plaag wrote:So to those who love the old and to those who love the new - Can't we all just get along! :lol:

ShaneG.

NO!  :P

Paul

"It is by will alone I set my mind in motion.  It is by the juice of Saphoo that thoughts aquire speed; the lips aquire stains; the stains become a warning.  It is by will alone I set my mind in motion."

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Sat Jul 09, 2005 11:29 am 

tec-9-7 wrote:"In the Wilderlands, the good lord never promised you a balanced encounter" - Old Valoninan proverb

That is the only serious problem I ahve with the set, as far as I have been able to determine so far. The Wilderlands was all about the "realistic" encoun,ter system... it was never really level based. Walking down the street you might encounter a 1st level beggar or a 20th level godling, you just never knew. Same with the wilderlands encounters; it could be a lone goblin or maybe an ancient red dragon. Because the world, no matter how screwed up it may have been in other ways, portrayed itself as being living and breathing, not sewt piece encounters based on one's level. Of course, that became far more solidified in 3E than in any other edition, so we are stuck with it.

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Sat Jul 09, 2005 12:46 pm 

tec-9-7 wrote:"In the Wilderlands, the good lord never promised you a balanced encounter" - Old Valoninan proverb

Unbalanced is one thing, and the guys that play in my D&D game would laugh long and hard if I ever said my encounters were always balanced ;)  Unbalanced is running into Ogres at level 1. Unbalanced isn't the same thing as the person writing the module having no idea how to use the rules for the game.

A 500hp swarm that's CR 8.. 8 CR1 creatures becoming a CR7 encounter.. Many enemies with high PC class levels and low CRs (1 class level = 1 CR).. I thnk the worst was the Tongue Fish - a 2HD creature with a BAB of 5. That kind of thing doesn't instill much faith that the product is well done.

From a flavour standpoint, obviously, none of that matters one whit. But if folks are going to publish things for d20, then they should at least know the system they're attempting to use :(

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Sat Jul 09, 2005 2:17 pm 

GraysonAC wrote:A 500hp swarm that's CR 8.. 8 CR1 creatures becoming a CR7 encounter.. Many enemies with high PC class levels and low CRs (1 class level = 1 CR).. I thnk the worst was the Tongue Fish - a 2HD creature with a BAB of 5. That kind of thing doesn't instill much faith that the product is well done.

that sounds like a load of gobbledigook to me :)

just gimme a D20 and lemme roll on an armour class - works far easier for me :)

Al

Are we nearly there yet?

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Sat Jul 09, 2005 11:09 pm 

Long live THAC0!

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Tue Oct 04, 2005 11:08 am 

Plaag wrote:For those who collect all things Judges Guild, this item has a print run of only 2000 copies.

ShaneG.

Greets!

Where does this figure of only 2000 copies come from?  That sounds a bit odd for a current D20 product release such as this.

Thanks

Long-Winded Collector
Subweb Admin
JG Valuation Board

Post Posted: Tue Oct 04, 2005 11:34 am 

islestrike wrote:
Plaag wrote:For those who collect all things Judges Guild, this item has a print run of only 2000 copies.

ShaneG.

Greets!

Where does this figure of only 2000 copies come from? That sounds a bit odd for a current D20 product release such as this.

Thanks

From the Necromancer Games site, also from Bill Webb and Clark Peterson themselves. The number comes from them only selling roughly 2000 copies of the Players Guide to the Wilderlands (though not sure how many of these actually got printed, it is more then 2k) so they set the number for the box set at 2000. A few hundred were sold at GenCon, and you can still get it on Ebay as well as White Wolf.

ShaneG.

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Tue Oct 04, 2005 12:16 pm 

Wow ...that really doesn't seem like a lot.  I picked up the Players Guide and thought that was really well done from the standpoint of originality and detail.  I just picked up the boxed set over the weekend based on the strength of that and the production values in CSIO which I had also bought.  Didn't realize interest and print runs were that low.

What do you think for example would be the print run for something like the WOTC Players Guide as a point of comparison?  Presumably that would be your high watermark for judging interest in a product or setting.

Regards.

Long-Winded Collector
Subweb Admin
JG Valuation Board

Post Posted: Tue Oct 04, 2005 12:53 pm 

islestrike wrote:Wow ...that really doesn't seem like a lot. I picked up the Players Guide and thought that was really well done from the standpoint of originality and detail. I just picked up the boxed set over the weekend based on the strength of that and the production values in CSIO which I had also bought. Didn't realize interest and print runs were that low.

What do you think for example would be the print run for something like the WOTC Players Guide as a point of comparison? Presumably that would be your high watermark for judging interest in a product or setting.

Regards.

Anything WOTC is most likely in the 10k range..(though that's just a guess) and you can't really judge by WOTC because I don't believe any small d20 company is meeting close to those numbers or profit margin.

I agree with you on the d20 JG products being good, but frankly the market for those doesn't do well. Wish it wasn't like that, as I'd love to see more for JG, but some don't care for d20 :wink: and those that begain with d20 haven't really made the jump backwards for the JG stuff. (Course the box set may have an effect..it says you don't need to get the old products, but then some stuff it doesn't have like the Pegasus adventures it mentions.)

ShaneG.

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Tue Oct 04, 2005 2:37 pm 

Yeah I just meant looking at something like the PH would give an indication of what the potential of the market could be ...whether that many people buy or not is obviously a different matter.

I guess with the monthly procession of hardbacks coming out of WOTC I just assumed there was a similar appetite from those same buyers for fantasy material like JG. Well thanks for the insight ...whatever the reasons it comes as quit a shock that they are only selling around 2000 copies.

Regards

Next