Interesting Judges Guild Items on Ebay
Post new topic Reply to topic Page 65 of 95123 ... 62, 63, 64, 65, 66 ... 939495
Author

Sage Collector

Post Posted: Sun Nov 09, 2008 8:57 am 

Bill Owen wrote:FYI, 67 JG history books purchased in first 6 days so I am very pleased. But if anyone thinks their book is junque, I will make a full refund.

Incidentally, the price will start inching up shortly... I wanted to give you fans a chance at it with a pre-publication discount.

Will you make any changes for the published (non-prepub) version?  Any changes in content, layout, etc. ?

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Sun Nov 09, 2008 10:31 am 

JohnGaunt wrote:Will you make any changes for the published (non-prepub) version?  Any changes in content, layout, etc. ?

No, I don't expect to. Unless of course you have found a big, enormous error!

Bob's buddy

Sage Collector
JG Valuation Board
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sun Nov 16, 2008 6:12 am 

Interesting reference sheet lot, 16 hours to go:

** expired/removed eBay auction **

Verbose Collector

Post Posted: Sun Nov 16, 2008 7:04 am 

HermitFromPluto wrote:Interesting reference sheet lot, 16 hours to go:

very incomplete?? says 20 pages not 3 sheets

Sage Collector
JG Valuation Board
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Mon Nov 17, 2008 8:23 am 

Yes, but interesting. It seems to be an incomplete first print, which is one of the very rare items. Not only that the cover print colour seems to be different to what is recorded on the subweb. The winning bid was $8.50. Complete, these can sell for over $100 - I hope someone here won it and can compare with the info on the subweb.

Sage Collector
JG Valuation Board
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Mon Nov 17, 2008 8:24 am 

Nice four book lot:

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Mon Nov 17, 2008 10:31 am 

HermitFromPluto wrote:Yes, but interesting. It seems to be an incomplete first print, which is one of the very rare items. Not only that the cover print colour seems to be different to what is recorded on the subweb. The winning bid was $8.50. Complete, these can sell for over $100 - I hope someone here won it and can compare with the info on the subweb.

As I remember it (and I'm sure you guys have figured it out), the 1st printing cover was imprinted on a 9x12" white short-end flap envelope. Then the 2nd printing cover had dropped the envelope and was a loose sheet inside a heat-sealed bag... and with a product number added lower right.

The object may have been partly to make it less expensive but primarily so the buyer could see one of the sheets through the back of the bag.

Changing to a booklet later accomplished this visibility ideally and gave a lot more value (lots more pages i.e. repetition of key To Hit charts players would use) without requiring the buyer to xerox some of the charts for players (which was quite expensive then--I had to walk about 4 blocks to pay 25 cents to use the xerox machine at Walgreens then and this was when my job a the travel agency was paying about $1.50/hour!

Bob's buddy

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sun Nov 23, 2008 10:29 pm 

JohnGaunt wrote:Pre-pub copies of Bill Owen's book:

. . .  

Just read mine, great book about the early days.  Very easy to read. I really liked it.  Thanks for sharing Bill :)

Games can get you through times of no money but money can not get you through times of no games!!

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Sun Nov 23, 2008 11:09 pm 

Blackmoor wrote:Just read mine, great book about the early days.  Very easy to read. I really liked it.  Thanks for sharing Bill :)

You're welcome! Did the photos, scans etc. add much? And same with the articles; I mean did you try to read the tiny print in those articles? For me, I'd have to take off my glasses and hold 2" from my nose!

I'm considering a couple of new projects but will let you know if they get to a point of imminent release.

Bob's buddy

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Mon Nov 24, 2008 1:45 am 

Bill Owen wrote:
You're welcome! Did the photos, scans etc. add much? And same with the articles; I mean did you try to read the tiny print in those articles? For me, I'd have to take off my glasses and hold 2" from my nose!

I'm considering a couple of new projects but will let you know if they get to a point of imminent release.

I take the history of the hobby very seriously so I did read every little snipit :)   I really got a good feeling about the excitement you guys must have felt as everything fell into place.  A real grass roots story about one of the most popular entertainment mediums of the day.

Games can get you through times of no money but money can not get you through times of no games!!

Sage Collector

Post Posted: Mon Nov 24, 2008 9:37 pm 

Bill Owen wrote:
Blackmoor wrote:Just read mine, great book about the early days.  Very easy to read. I really liked it.  Thanks for sharing Bill :)

The photos and scans add useful information to the stories.  Certain things (Woody, the psychedelic Playboy bag, game notes and maps) are impossible to describe with words.  The color is also necessary, even for the monochrome items.  I wish the photos and scans could have been larger, though that would have increased the page count and broken up the flow/cohesiveness of the articles.

Nitpicking: The book is nearly free from typos.  I found one place where the singular "stand" is used instead of the plural "stands".  Some commas are missing in places.  And that's all I can find to nitpick.  :)

The book is a great read that is amusing, informative, and touching.  Thanks for making an honest, down-to-earth recollection of Judges Guild.

Long-Winded Collector

Post Posted: Wed Nov 26, 2008 5:12 am 

I suspect that this isn't going to be picked up from the individual selling, but is that shrink wrap or good old UK cling flim....  :lol:

Rolls a '3'

"Did I hit.....?"

Sage Collector
JG Valuation Board
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Wed Nov 26, 2008 5:32 am 

Hmm. I wonder how that goes with meatloaf:

Like a rat on a stick I'll be gone when the morning comes.
When the night is over, like a rat on a stick, I'll be gone, gone, gone.
Like a rat on a stick I'll be gone when the morning comes.
But when the day is done
and the sun goes down
and the moonlight's shining through.
Then like a sinner before the gates of Heaven
I'll come crawling on back to you.

Long-Winded Collector

Post Posted: Wed Nov 26, 2008 6:29 am 

Just had another look at the item and there are 3 up for grabs! Now surely to have 3 SW still is rare, or takes an amount of wrapping...  :lol:

Rolls a '3'

"Did I hit.....?"

Long-Winded Collector
Subweb Admin
JG Valuation Board

Post Posted: Wed Nov 26, 2008 7:38 am 

That's the correct SW and they are not that rare.

ShaneG.

I reject your reality and substitute my own

Long-Winded Collector

Post Posted: Wed Nov 26, 2008 8:32 am 

blimey, he is selling an actual product correctly and its the real item photo! still, it takes someone with knowledge to convince me its the real SW.. thanks for that!  :D

Rolls a '3'

"Did I hit.....?"

Prolific Collector
JG Valuation Board
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Wed Nov 26, 2008 8:05 pm 

i've bought more than most from cougar and i've always received the items as photographed. If it's been described as SW then it comes in all its crinkly JG SW glory

An té nach mbíonn láidir ní folláir dó bheith glic

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i-ajduHx5hc

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Tue Dec 16, 2008 5:05 pm 

ashmire13 wrote:Just had another look at the item and there are 3 up for grabs! Now surely to have 3 SW still is rare, or takes an amount of wrapping...  :lol:

btw they are the real thing and i have at least a box of them, so they are not rare :p

Are we nearly there yet?

PreviousNext
Post new topic Reply to topic Page 65 of 95123 ... 62, 63, 64, 65, 66 ... 939495