Interesting Judges Guild Items on Ebay
Post new topic Reply to topic Page 62 of 95123 ... 59, 60, 61, 62, 63 ... 939495
Author

Long-Winded Collector

Post Posted: Tue Aug 05, 2008 9:59 am 

JasonZavoda wrote:
** expired/removed eBay auction **

Invincible Overlord, Only a few hours left.

Why in the world is the cover green in the first picture?  I've seen some strange looking effects caused by bad lighting but that is just weird.  What is the weirdest is that the images inside the circles and the pegasus arent the same tint.  8O

You don't like your job, you don't strike. You go in every day and do it really half-assed. That's the American way. - Homer Simpson

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Tue Aug 05, 2008 10:26 am 

I think the seller was trying to beef up the faint lines and pulled the color up so strong that it made it very weird. Got your attention though, eh?!

The 2nd picture shows the book as we made it so the cover shot is just a photo trick.

PS I use auto-color in Photoshop most of the time because it corrects for my little on-sale camera. But sometimes it changes the colors grotesquely.

Bob's buddy

Sage Collector
JG Valuation Board
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Tue Aug 05, 2008 11:50 pm 

JasonZavoda wrote:
** expired/removed eBay auction **

Invincible Overlord, Only a few hours left.

Assuming the picture has been coloured and 'glossy' simply means clean, did anyone ask the Seller whether this was a 1st or 2nd print? Is the winner a member here?

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Wed Aug 06, 2008 1:03 am 

Bill Owen wrote:
So as an update to what I thought was the last button I found in June (above)...

I thought I would give you the last word on the world supply of JG buttons... I think that I am now down to ONE LAST button and I'm not selling it because:

A) it's got no backing (I think I tore it off in 1980 to make a really weird political button because I found that one too) so probably no one would give me much for it and
B) I'm going to actually keep a FEW things!

I say to make the broken button into a refrigerator magnet!  :D

~Kat  ^_^

Long-Winded Collector
Subweb Admin
JG Valuation Board

Post Posted: Wed Aug 06, 2008 6:31 am 

HermitFromPluto wrote:
Assuming the picture has been coloured and 'glossy' simply means clean, did anyone ask the Seller whether this was a 1st or 2nd print? Is the winner a member here?

It looks like a 1st since it has a darker bottom left hand picture along with the center Flying Pegasus, but I can't confirm that..yet.

ShaneG.

I reject your reality and substitute my own

Verbose Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Wed Aug 06, 2008 10:35 pm 

HermitFromPluto wrote:Assuming the picture has been coloured and 'glossy' simply means clean, did anyone ask the Seller whether this was a 1st or 2nd print? Is the winner a member here?

That would be me.  I noticed it at the last minute, and made one of those spontaneous (stupid?) decisions to bid without asking.  :oops:  I knew it was either first or second based on the cover, and so took the flyer.

This also explains, by the way, why I bid over $200 for the $35 print at GenCon last year (and which I didn't get to take home only because Prufrock has the same auction sickness I have).

Once I have the item in hand, I'll post with the details.

"Parturient montes, nascetur ridiculus mus."

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Thu Aug 07, 2008 1:10 am 

Did anyone else from the Acaeum bid on that Overlord?

"But I have watched the dragons come, fire-eyed, across the world."

Verbose Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Thu Aug 07, 2008 7:24 am 

Hey Bracton,

I was watching that auction hard.  But was able to hold off.  I'm not at all claiming a cure, just possibly a slight remission of sorts.

Martin

Sage Collector

Post Posted: Fri Aug 08, 2008 1:08 am 

Inferno

Dark Tower

Caverns of Thracia

Those who can, don't. Those who should not, do.

Long-Winded Collector
Subweb Admin
JG Valuation Board

Post Posted: Fri Aug 08, 2008 6:39 am 

3 of the good ones.

ShaneG.

I reject your reality and substitute my own

Prolific Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Fri Aug 08, 2008 7:18 am 

Guess I should've posted the Inferno and Dark Tower in here as well...I put them up in the Classifieds section but not here. As always with my auctions, if someone from here wins, let me know and I'll knock 10% off the final auction price as an Acaeum discount.

And don't forget the August 1978 Fantasy Catalog --> cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem& ... 0262062483  which is actually in better condition than the pictures show.  I'll probably add additional pictures of it. Gotta love my 10 year old 2.3 megapixel digicam.

Long-Winded Collector
JG Valuation Board

Post Posted: Fri Aug 08, 2008 8:38 am 

Plaag wrote:
3 of the good ones.

ShaneG.

Caverns of Thracia and Dark Tower are excellent, but I'm not familiar with Inferno. How does it play?

Probably the most fun I had with a Judges Guild supplement was Frontier Forts of Kelnor. I built of model of the fort and used it over and over again for adventures (it was constantly being besieged). It was surprisingly easy to build from the drawing (being a simple design) and made a wonderful little outpost.

Grandstanding Collector
JG Valuation Board
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Fri Aug 08, 2008 9:13 am 

JasonZavoda wrote:
Caverns of Thracia and Dark Tower are excellent, but I'm not familiar with Inferno. How does it play?

Probably the most fun I had with a Judges Guild supplement was Frontier Forts of Kelnor. I built of model of the fort and used it over and over again for adventures (it was constantly being besieged). It was surprisingly easy to build from the drawing (being a simple design) and made a wonderful little outpost.

What materials did you use to build that fort?
Do you still have it?
If so can you post a few pics?

"Guys, I am starting to think Tegel Manor might be haunted..."
Stated by me as a PC during a run of Tegel Manor DMed by killjoy at NTRPGCon 2010

Charter Member of the ATM

Long-Winded Collector
JG Valuation Board

Post Posted: Fri Aug 08, 2008 10:42 am 

Aneoth wrote:
What materials did you use to build that fort?
Do you still have it?
If so can you post a few pics?

I gave it away about 25 years ago.(foolishly) :cry:

I used a plywood base because I was used to using them for model railroads and slot cars. I used soft pine for the rest because it was light and easy to shape (but it picks up dents and scratches very easily). It is a wonderfully simple design and if you make the roof removable and the side and top of the tower removable as well it is incredibly playable. It gets fairly big if you are building it for miniatures, but it is a wonderful model to use for an outpost. (The pine also paints very nicely and because it is soft you can add detail with almost any hand tool (no need for woodworking tools).

What I want to build now is the Hill Giant fort from G1. (Picked up a couple dozen giants from Mage Knight that are a wonderful scale).

Grandstanding Collector
JG Valuation Board
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Fri Aug 08, 2008 11:44 am 

I have been thinking of building some things myself, hence my questions above.

Interesting that you mentioned using that specific book for your plans, as I can see a lot of possiblities in the Frontier Forts of Kelnore.
I have been reading it myself for some time now with a similar project in mind.

My wife is an arts and crafts type of person and she thinks that the soft wood you can get at many craft shops would be simple and easy to use.
I do not think the wood she was pointing out was pine, but some even softer wood.
But, although I could not dissagree with her about the ease of using such soft woods, I am wondering about the durability of the finished product when using softer wood.
Some of my minis are the old type, heavy............ and I will be having small kids using the stuff too (Grandkids)

So, did you build the buildings and the tower with access to the insides as you hinted at above?
Did you build any of the basement or dungeon levels shown in that book?
The main building shows two levels and the tower has (it looks like) 4 levels.
With the removable side and top sections did you have access to (And did you build) all four levels for the tower?
And both floors of the main building?

Sorry if all the questions seem silly.

I do want to build something myself, and I am waffling on what to do first and how to do it.

My first thought was to start small with short wall sections (4-6 inches long and 2 inches high each) and small floor pieces (2 inches square each, more or less).
With such smaller pieces I could create any length or width of hallways, and any shape or size of rooms.
And such smaller peices could easily be revised to fit most adventure scenarios.
At least for interior building, and some underground (Dungeon) areas anyway.

But, Later on after I feel more comfortable about it all, I may be building a fort, or castle, or keep.

I simply cannot afford to buy the Dungeon Forge stuff (Though I think they are awesome).

"Guys, I am starting to think Tegel Manor might be haunted..."
Stated by me as a PC during a run of Tegel Manor DMed by killjoy at NTRPGCon 2010

Charter Member of the ATM

Verbose Collector
JG Valuation Board

Post Posted: Fri Aug 08, 2008 12:16 pm 

Have you looked at the Hirst Arts stuff? Their silicone mold sets seem to be quite reasonable and the only other material required is plaster-of-paris and paint.

Hirst Arts Mold Page

Check out my Chaosium sourcebook.
Secrets of Tibet

Long-Winded Collector
JG Valuation Board

Post Posted: Fri Aug 08, 2008 12:40 pm 

Aneoth wrote:I have been thinking of building some things myself, hence my questions above.

Interesting that you mentioned using that specific book for your plans, as I can see a lot of possiblities in the Frontier Forts of Kelnore.
I have been reading it myself for some time now with a similar project in mind.

My wife is an arts and crafts type of person and she thinks that the soft wood you can get at many craft shops would be simple and easy to use.
I do not think the wood she was pointing out was pine, but some even softer wood.
But, although I could not dissagree with her about the ease of using such soft woods, I am wondering about the durability of the finished product when using softer wood.
Some of my minis are the old type, heavy............ and I will be having small kids using the stuff too (Grandkids)

So, did you build the buildings and the tower with access to the insides as you hinted at above?
Did you build any of the basement or dungeon levels shown in that book?
The main building shows two levels and the tower has (it looks like) 4 levels.
With the removable side and top sections did you have access to (And did you build) all four levels for the tower?
And both floors of the main building?

Sorry if all the questions seem silly.

I do want to build something myself, and I am waffling on what to do first and how to do it.

My first thought was to start small with short wall sections (4-6 inches long and 2 inches high each) and small floor pieces (2 inches square each, more or less).
With such smaller pieces I could create any length or width of hallways, and any shape or size of rooms.
And such smaller peices could easily be revised to fit most adventure scenarios.
At least for interior building, and some underground (Dungeon) areas anyway.

But, Later on after I feel more comfortable about it all, I may be building a fort, or castle, or keep.

I simply cannot afford to buy the Dungeon Forge stuff (Though I think they are awesome).

Frontier Forts is a greater starter project.

Soft woods: They are easy to build with and they are light. The downside is that they damage easily and can splt the length of the piece. at least with the pine I was using. Today they probably aren't cheap either.

Build the rooms first. The walls are easy and you won't box yourself. Instead if you do the walls last you can build them to fit the buildings. Always test with miniatures first for sizing.

I built the tower in sections. One fiting onto another so that they would stack and so I could lift them off. The side piece I kept as a single piece of wood that I could take away to access the interiors while they were stacked together. The buildings just had removable roofs and I didn't build the cellars or dungeons.

Today I would probably pick up Mage Knight wall sections which should be dirt cheap (The giants I picked up were a buck apiece, brand new in the case). They are decent and can be glued together and touched up.

I like working with wood, but some of the resin and foam stuff isn't bad. More arts and crafts than I have the skill for. The Giant Hall I'm building though is all wood for walls and roofs.

Now if you can get a modular design going it will help you. It will get things going orderly and it is the way to make big projects practical. There are a couple of places that sell molds for model building that are modular. If you are interested I can track them down and post the links.

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Fri Aug 08, 2008 12:51 pm 

JasonZavoda wrote:
Frontier Forts is a greater starter project.

Soft woods: They are easy to build with and they are light. The downside is that they damage easily and can splt the length of the piece. at least with the pine I was using. Today they probably aren't cheap either.

Build the rooms first. The walls are easy and you won't box yourself. Instead if you do the walls last you can build them to fit the buildings. Always test with miniatures first for sizing.

I built the tower in sections. One fiting onto another so that they would stack and so I could lift them off. The side piece I kept as a single piece of wood that I could take away to access the interiors while they were stacked together. The buildings just had removable roofs and I didn't build the cellars or dungeons.

Today I would probably pick up Mage Knight wall sections which should be dirt cheap (The giants I picked up were a buck apiece, brand new in the case). They are decent and can be glued together and touched up.

I like working with wood, but some of the resin and foam stuff isn't bad. More arts and crafts than I have the skill for. The Giant Hall I'm building though is all wood for walls and roofs.

Now if you can get a modular design going it will help you. It will get things going orderly and it is the way to make big projects practical. There are a couple of places that sell molds for model building that are modular. If you are interested I can track them down and post the links.

Pictures when you're finished, Jason!

Mike B.

"THE MORE YOU THINK ABOUT WHY i DONE WHAT i DONE THE MORE i LAUGH" Cougar
"The Acaeum hates fun" Sir Allen
"I had a collecting emergency" Nogrod
Co-founder of the North Texas RPG Con
NTRPGCON

PreviousNext
Post new topic Reply to topic Page 62 of 95123 ... 59, 60, 61, 62, 63 ... 939495