Nice JG findings
Author

Long-Winded Collector

Post Posted: Tue Mar 14, 2006 12:11 pm 

MShipley88 wrote:
Kingofpain89 wrote:http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... 8766624234

OK, after reading a lot of the excellent posts here and checking out the JG subweb in greater detail, I finally won my first JG auction.  I probably paid a bit too much for it but after looking at the amazing detail put into it, I think it is definitely worth it.

Now if I can just pick up the rest of the City State items to go along with it I will be in good shape.  :D

Contratulations...and that is not too much for Wraith Overlord.  As I recall, I saw your bid and decided not to snipe a fellow Acaeum member.
(How noble of me!   :lol: )

Mark   8)

Hey man...if you really want something...all's fair.  I would have rather been outbid by an Acaeum member than some asshat with zero feedback that doesnt know what the item is worth.  :twisted:

Long-Winded Collector
Subweb Admin
JG Valuation Board

Post Posted: Tue Mar 14, 2006 5:27 pm 

OK, after reading a lot of the excellent posts here and checking out the JG subweb in greater detail, I finally won my first JG auction.  I probably paid a bit too much for it but after looking at the amazing detail put into it, I think it is definitely worth it.

Now if I can just pick up the rest of the City State items to go along with it I will be in good shape.  :D

Congrats.. :D

ShaneG.

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Wed Mar 15, 2006 5:06 pm 

hey KOP - nice win chummer!

thats an ok price for that so you did just fine!

well done :)

Al

Are we nearly there yet?

Verbose Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sun Apr 09, 2006 4:40 am 

This isn't too bad, right?  I've heard some discussion that $40+ is average and the last one went for $80.00.  

cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem& ... T&rd=1

Hey, is there is supplement that deals with the lower circles of Hell as well?  I've always been a big fan of the Divine Comedy.

"Gleemonex makes it feel like it's seventy-two degrees in your head... all... the... time! "

Long-Winded Collector
Subweb Admin
JG Valuation Board

Post Posted: Sun Apr 09, 2006 8:57 am 

Beyondthebreach wrote:This isn't too bad, right?  I've heard some discussion that $40+ is average and the last one went for $80.00.  

Hey, is there is supplement that deals with the lower circles of Hell as well?  I've always been a big fan of the Divine Comedy.

First very nice win..and second the other circles are being written by Geoffry O. Dale. I believe he has a lot of it done, though I think still needs to find a publisher.

ShaneG.

Long-Winded Collector

Post Posted: Sun Apr 09, 2006 9:04 am 

Beyondthebreach wrote:This isn't too bad, right?  I've heard some discussion that $40+ is average and the last one went for $80.00.  

Now, yes... :?

$25-30 was "average" towards the end of last year (e.g. http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... 8737733742 ), which is why Al still had his shop copies priced at $40 for F/VF.
Recent prices have been, erm, silly... $83; http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... 8398820229

$40-50 on resale would be fair to expect, I think, even though some of the bulk JG prices have been very low recently and the market's kinda thin.

The main reason for the end price was of course that it was in the wrong category.
You missed the "steal", though, from the same seller; http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... 6618893583
(Seller was being a pain re. shipping even though I know someone who lives in the same town, otherwise they'd've had another $20 or so in their hands :))

Beyondthebreach wrote:Hey, is there is supplement that deals with the lower circles of Hell as well?  I've always been a big fan of the Divine Comedy.

Never materialised :(

(*points to note above from Shane*)

Sage Collector
JG Valuation Board

Post Posted: Sun Apr 09, 2006 9:30 am 

Beyondthebreach wrote:Hey, is there is supplement that deals with the lower circles of Hell as well?  I've always been a big fan of the Divine Comedy.

Years ago our DM created one using the text as a guide - pretty scary (and perfect for high level characters) and with plenty of diabolical scheming.  Is the JG Inferno any good? Remember...

Lasciate ogne speranza, voi ch'intrate

Let's go fly a kite
Up to the highest height!

Verbose Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sun Apr 09, 2006 9:51 am 

faro wrote:

The main reason for the end price was of course that it was in the wrong category.
You missed the "steal", though, from the same seller; http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... 6618893583
(Seller was being a pain re. shipping even though I know someone who lives in the same town, otherwise they'd've had another $20 or so in their hands :))

Hmm, that's just my own JG ignorance then.  I saw his auctions right off the bat and that one as well  (I was even waiting to potentially combine shipping on some D&D stuff that I didn't win).  I just didn't realize it had value . . . erm, what is the value here?

"Gleemonex makes it feel like it's seventy-two degrees in your head... all... the... time! "

Verbose Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sun Apr 09, 2006 10:26 am 

red_bus wrote:

"Abandon all hope, ye who enter" . . . right?

Long-Winded Collector

Post Posted: Sun Apr 09, 2006 10:29 am 

Beyondthebreach wrote:

Hmm, that's just my own JG ignorance then.  I saw his auctions right off the bat and that one as well  (I was even waiting to potentially combine shipping on some D&D stuff that I didn't win).  I just didn't realize it had value . . . erm, what is the value here?

"Value" or "worth"? :)

Either way, Brian's $6 is somewhat less than $112 Shane paid for a SW'd copy; http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... 8750427992 .
Note, however, the underbidder on that sale was also the same person who paid $83 for the Inferno (i.e. OTT two-way bidding war between people who ain't waiting for a "decent price").

The "Character Codex" is uncommon enough, though; possibly, in this case, because it ain't exactly "interesting"!

$25 would've been a good "buy" price and since <lofenloc> is presumably still looking for a copy, dropping one in front of him at $50-60 BIN might've done the trick.

Sage Collector
JG Valuation Board

Post Posted: Sun Apr 09, 2006 11:00 am 

Beyondthebreach wrote:
red_bus wrote:

"Abandon all hope, ye who enter" . . . right?

oh yes.  :)
I'd be curious to know how close the JG Inferno is to the setting in the Divine Comedy - is it just loosely based, or is it really close?

Let's go fly a kite
Up to the highest height!

Verbose Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sun Apr 09, 2006 2:34 pm 

If no one else chimes in on this red bus, I'll post in a few weeks once I get it and have a chance to read it.

Long-Winded Collector

Post Posted: Sun Apr 09, 2006 5:26 pm 

red_bus wrote:I'd be curious to know how close the JG Inferno is to the setting in the Divine Comedy - is it just loosely based, or is it really close?

:) Think I'll have to set aside some time to read/compare, too.
(And it's many years since I read Dante...).

At a casual glance of the first few pages, the elements are there (from what I recall), even if the original context is necessarily absent to a degree.
i.e. the allegorical pard, she-wolf and lion relating to temporal powers are somewhat more encounter-focused, even if they do serve the same "purpose" (may I say "railroading"? ;)).
In that case, the author took liberties with the source to "make their point", so I'd guess there's more of the same to follow. ^^
*g*. Mind you, I did the same myself, 'cept I made the pard a bit more fiery (using the excuse that Dante wouldn't have wanted to frighten his audience so early in the poem :P).

*mutters at lousy .jpg compression*

Neat basis for a scenario, though. Just don't take your favorite paladins down into Hell 'coz I suspect they won't be coming back! :D

*reads on...*

Sage Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sun Apr 09, 2006 5:40 pm 

Is that a ... cougar? It really would explain so much ... :wink:

Long-Winded Collector

Post Posted: Sun Apr 09, 2006 5:57 pm 

Xaxaxe wrote:Is that a ... cougar? It really would explain so much ... :wink:

*LOL* :lol:

OK, I chickened-out drawing spots on the fiery feline: so sue me! :)
(The pard is a mythical beastie, anyhow; unlike the (unfortunately?) very real cougar...).

thx for the smile! ;)

Verbose Collector

Post Posted: Tue May 09, 2006 10:22 pm 

FFC ebay auction

Finally won a non-shrink FFC. Just arrived today from the UK with minimal packing (just two paper thin bags) but luckily no shipping damage. Missing the DM's map (anybody got a spare?), the Player's map has been watercolored (the water areas are blue - not bad a job actually), and it's a bit battleworn (cover wear, loose center pages, rusty stapes, some stains) but I'm happy because it's a first print with the Arneson drawings. And I can finally read through it (have already started - sure is dense!).

I've sold off one of my shrink 2nd/3rds; I'll probably put the other up on Ebay within a few weeks. Thanks to all for helping me resist opening them.

Active Collector

Post Posted: Wed May 10, 2006 12:50 am 

Faro & Red Bus:

Within the limits of a game scenario, I tried to make the original module very close.  That is, every location in the poem is also in the scenario with the same landscape and climate and monsters, and the only character missing is Virgil.  I had it written down to Circle 6 the first time and it was JG that decided to break before Circle 5...of course everythinig was lost in the interveening years and I started again almost from scratch.  Everything else should be readily recognizable to a student of the poem - but that won't necessarily help you figure out how to survive it all.

Yep, there is some railroading going on in the original module, making it very linear with not a lot of options.  The revision isn't constructed like that and characters are free to literally wander in circles if they wish.  I have worked very hard with the revision to preserve fidelity with the atmosphere of the poem all the way down to Lucifer's hairy hide.  I figure that I have about 3 maps left to draw and 180 rooms to describe and I'm fini !!  Then I have to convert to 3E and deal with publishers.

Geoff   :twisted:

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Wed May 10, 2006 12:54 am 

Did I mention that the author of Inferno is a member here?

"But I have watched the dragons come, fire-eyed, across the world."

PreviousNext