Inferno 2005
Author

Active Collector

Post Posted: Wed Aug 01, 2007 3:14 pm 

JG Fans:
I take great pleasure in being able to say the Inferno d20 conversion is complete, all 10 plus Circles of it, and the module (setting, path, super module, whatever you want to call it) is ready for a couple of wicked d20 DM's to playtest (I'll try to run some of it at a con in Austin TX later this year, but not in d20).  It is designed for a party of 6-8 core character classess averaging L15, with none less than L10 and none above L19, and only core races (human, elf, halfling, dwarf, h-elf, h-orc); use of non-SRD WotC charaacters and stff etc. invalidates the design assumptions; Contact me for details if you are interested.  I expect Inferno to require 8 to 10 sessions (or more) to complete it, if any heroes make it that far.

OVERVIEW:

Pages:  Module 388 + NPC's 85 + Bestiary 141 + Treasury 134 + Maps 35 = 783 total

New Skills = 10, Arcane Spells = 46, Divine Spells = 19, Spell-Like Abilities = 7

Diseases & Conditions described = 48

NPC's = 125 (devils, demons, humans, dwarfs, ogres, vampires, fire giants, medusa, etc...) ; NEW MONSTERS: Angels = 15 , Aquatics = 22 , Birds = 5 , Composites = 3 , Constructs = 5 , Demons = 1, Devils = 84 , Elemental = 3 , Fungus = 11 , Humanoids = 6 , Insects = 29 , Mammals = 24 , Miscellaneous = 5 , Plants = 12 , Reptiles = 19 , Undead = 12 , Worms = 4

NEW MAGIC ITEMS:  Alchemical Goods = 49 , Armor/Bracers = 50 , Artifacts = 55 , Books = 45 , Clothing = 92 , Jewelry = 60 , Musical Instruments = 12 , Rings = 18 , Stones = 15 , Tools = 11 , Wand/Staff/Rod = 20 , Weapons = 49 , Wondrous Objects = 46 ; CURSED/NEGATIVE ITEMS = 145

ENCOUNTER AREAS:  Wilderness Entry - forest, desecrated and ruined church, Prince's conference room, Gehenna cave; Dungeon Entry - 15 rooms with active opposition, Prince's conference room, Gehenna cave); Gehenna - Great Beast encounters x3, the Shining Hill, the Chimera, enchanted stream, 2000 ft cliff, Gate of Inferno; over 300 miles of inhospitable terrain; Circle Zero - Noble Castle, dungeon (8 rooms), River Archeron and Charon; Circle 2 - Minos Palace (25 rooms); Circle 3 - Cerberus Lair (20 rooms); Circle 4 - Plutus encounter, Shade encounter, treasure cave, 1200 ft cliff; Circle 5 - Styx Swamp and Phelygas the Ferryman, Charydis whirlpool, Phelygas' Tower (30 rooms), Walls of Dis, City of Burning Tombs (5 scripted encounters including prophetess shade), Great Minotaur of Hell, 500 ft cliff; Circle 6 - River of Blood, Chiron's [Centaur Lord] house (25 rooms), Wood of Suicides, 5 Infernal Hound dens, 3 Harpy of Hell treehouses, the Harpydrome; Circle 7 - Desert of Fire, Oasis of Kemmelnesses (Temple @ 20 rooms, Ruined Well @ 3 rooms, Sphinx @ 105 rooms, Tomb @ 20 rooms, Tents), Geryon encounter, buried staircases, treasure cave, 1500 ft cliff; Circle 8 - Devil General Barbarricae encounter, Guard House (9 rooms), Alchemist Keep (3 buildings, 85 rooms), Nimrod of the Nephrilim encounter, King Samael's Palace (175 rooms), 1000 ft cliff; Circle 9 - Sanctorum Luciforus (25 rooms), Lucifer the Great, escape into the ice; Exit Tunnel - 2 devil encounters & 2 angel encounters, Silver Door to the Prime Material Plane, Exit Tower at the Prime Material Plane (6 rooms); Purgatorio overview; many random encounters. Not all characters will reach every encounter area (many will die first)....

I'm still working on converting these "add ons" or extras :  Oasis of Koessa (Circle 7, ~100 pages), Devil Prince's Palace (generic, any Circle, ~100 pages)

Geoff   :twisted:

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Wed Aug 01, 2007 4:10 pm 

wow!  That looks really cool!  I don't play (let alone DM) D20, but this announcement makes me wish I did so I could playtest for you.

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Wed Aug 01, 2007 4:22 pm 

Geof:

I am interested.  I believe that my current set of player characters will soon be of the requisite level.

My players range from 20+ year veterans to neophytes.

Let me know.

Mark

"But I have watched the dragons come, fire-eyed, across the world."

Active Collector

Post Posted: Tue Aug 07, 2007 11:24 pm 

Shane:  Files received?  Comments?

Long-Winded Collector
Subweb Admin
JG Valuation Board

Post Posted: Thu Aug 09, 2007 3:56 pm 

Geoff Dale wrote:Shane:  Files received?  Comments?

Sorry, computer has not been my friend this past week. I think my graphics card is going bad or its software was to blame..so just seeing if things work for the time being.

But, yes files received, haven't had a chance to really look them over though.

ShaneG.

I reject your reality and substitute my own

Active Collector

Post Posted: Sat Dec 29, 2007 8:14 am 

Does anyone know the status of the Inferno project?  I'm using the 1e version now and would love to have the second half to convert for my 1e game.   Does anyone know of a homebrew version of second half of hell?

Active Collector

Post Posted: Sat Dec 29, 2007 1:03 pm 

ElderEye:  The status is the start-to-finish rewrite of Inferno is complete, as is the d20 conversion, including  a new front end, all 10 Circles, and the exit, plus supplement books for Denizens (NPCs), the Bestiary (new monsters), and the Treasury (new spells and enchanted objects).

How far are you into the module (any session journals) ??  The original, pre-d20, text is closer to 1E and would require little (maybe none) conversion.  Send me email and including surface mail address.

Geoff   :evil:

Active Collector

Post Posted: Sat Dec 29, 2007 4:47 pm 

Geoff - I PM'd you my info.  We are having our first session in Hell tomorrow.  It should be memorable..

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Sun Dec 30, 2007 3:28 pm 

Geoff Dale wrote:JG Fans:
I take great pleasure in being able to say the Inferno d20 conversion is complete, all 10 plus Circles of it, and the module (setting, path, super module, whatever you want to call it) is ready for a couple of wicked d20 DM's to playtest (I'll try to run some of it at a con in Austin TX later this year, but not in d20).  It is designed for a party of 6-8 core character classess averaging L15, with none less than L10 and none above L19, and only core races (human, elf, halfling, dwarf, h-elf, h-orc); use of non-SRD WotC charaacters and stff etc. invalidates the design assumptions; Contact me for details if you are interested.  I expect Inferno to require 8 to 10 sessions (or more) to complete it, if any heroes make it that far.

OVERVIEW:

Pages:  Module 388 + NPC's 85 + Bestiary 141 + Treasury 134 + Maps 35 = 783 total

New Skills = 10, Arcane Spells = 46, Divine Spells = 19, Spell-Like Abilities = 7

Diseases & Conditions described = 48

NPC's = 125 (devils, demons, humans, dwarfs, ogres, vampires, fire giants, medusa, etc...) ; NEW MONSTERS: Angels = 15 , Aquatics = 22 , Birds = 5 , Composites = 3 , Constructs = 5 , Demons = 1, Devils = 84 , Elemental = 3 , Fungus = 11 , Humanoids = 6 , Insects = 29 , Mammals = 24 , Miscellaneous = 5 , Plants = 12 , Reptiles = 19 , Undead = 12 , Worms = 4

NEW MAGIC ITEMS:  Alchemical Goods = 49 , Armor/Bracers = 50 , Artifacts = 55 , Books = 45 , Clothing = 92 , Jewelry = 60 , Musical Instruments = 12 , Rings = 18 , Stones = 15 , Tools = 11 , Wand/Staff/Rod = 20 , Weapons = 49 , Wondrous Objects = 46 ; CURSED/NEGATIVE ITEMS = 145

ENCOUNTER AREAS:  Wilderness Entry - forest, desecrated and ruined church, Prince's conference room, Gehenna cave; Dungeon Entry - 15 rooms with active opposition, Prince's conference room, Gehenna cave); Gehenna - Great Beast encounters x3, the Shining Hill, the Chimera, enchanted stream, 2000 ft cliff, Gate of Inferno; over 300 miles of inhospitable terrain; Circle Zero - Noble Castle, dungeon (8 rooms), River Archeron and Charon; Circle 2 - Minos Palace (25 rooms); Circle 3 - Cerberus Lair (20 rooms); Circle 4 - Plutus encounter, Shade encounter, treasure cave, 1200 ft cliff; Circle 5 - Styx Swamp and Phelygas the Ferryman, Charydis whirlpool, Phelygas' Tower (30 rooms), Walls of Dis, City of Burning Tombs (5 scripted encounters including prophetess shade), Great Minotaur of Hell, 500 ft cliff; Circle 6 - River of Blood, Chiron's [Centaur Lord] house (25 rooms), Wood of Suicides, 5 Infernal Hound dens, 3 Harpy of Hell treehouses, the Harpydrome; Circle 7 - Desert of Fire, Oasis of Kemmelnesses (Temple @ 20 rooms, Ruined Well @ 3 rooms, Sphinx @ 105 rooms, Tomb @ 20 rooms, Tents), Geryon encounter, buried staircases, treasure cave, 1500 ft cliff; Circle 8 - Devil General Barbarricae encounter, Guard House (9 rooms), Alchemist Keep (3 buildings, 85 rooms), Nimrod of the Nephrilim encounter, King Samael's Palace (175 rooms), 1000 ft cliff; Circle 9 - Sanctorum Luciforus (25 rooms), Lucifer the Great, escape into the ice; Exit Tunnel - 2 devil encounters & 2 angel encounters, Silver Door to the Prime Material Plane, Exit Tower at the Prime Material Plane (6 rooms); Purgatorio overview; many random encounters. Not all characters will reach every encounter area (many will die first)....

I'm still working on converting these "add ons" or extras :  Oasis of Koessa (Circle 7, ~100 pages), Devil Prince's Palace (generic, any Circle, ~100 pages)

Wow! Definitely a must have. Although I'm not too crazy about the d20 part. I'm sure it will be darn cool!

Eulaliaaa!!!

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Sun Dec 30, 2007 7:59 pm 

i have ran the original inferno before. shame the party got killed off rather easily cos they were stupid.

however, its good to see the new version coming along. geoff.....man it totally sucks it being a 3e version though, as i avoid that like the plague. i would snap up a 1e version any day of the week though.

Al

Are we nearly there yet?

Active Collector

Post Posted: Mon Feb 09, 2009 6:42 pm 

I am pleased to be able to report that Bob Bledsaw II and I have concluded an agreement that transfers the copyrights for the texts of Inferno and 'Treasure Vaults of Lindoran' from JG to me.  This applies to the text only; the covers, maps, graphics and artwork all remain property of JG.  While this may be helpful in the long run, it doesn't have any immediate impact with regards to publishing either of the updates to Inferno or Lindoran; with the general paralysis of 3E and older publishing, I see no immediate course of action that will result in either module being widely available anytime soon.  I continue to hope...obviously I didn't read that inscription over the Gate to Circle 1.

Geoff

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Mon Feb 09, 2009 9:05 pm 

Geoff Dale wrote:I am pleased to be able to report that Bob Bledsaw II and I have concluded an agreement that transfers the copyrights for the texts of Inferno and 'Treasure Vaults of Lindoran' from JG to me.  This applies to the text only; the covers, maps, graphics and artwork all remain property of JG.  While this may be helpful in the long run, it doesn't have any immediate impact with regards to publishing either of the updates to Inferno or Lindoran; with the general paralysis of 3E and older publishing, I see no immediate course of action that will result in either module being widely available anytime soon.  I continue to hope...obviously I didn't read that inscription over the Gate to Circle 1.

Geoff

Geoff;

Have you considered releasing both for play as one of the "Simulacrum" or "retro-clone" rules sets available?  These ape the strictures of old style games like OD&D, Basic D&D and 1E using common terms; it seems that in their "regular" form, both Inferno and Lindoran would be easier to release for, say, Labyrinth Lord, OSRIC or Basic Fantasy RPG than 3rd or 4th edition. Heck, a Castles and Crusades version might not be that tough to work up. Most of the retro-clones are being released at Lulu or other comparable "pay to print" sources, so that totally cuts out the middle man. I really think you should pursue one of these avenues; particularly "Inferno" still carries quite a cachet about it within the old-school gaming community.  

Check out the Goblinoid games website (publishers of Labyrinth Lord and OSRIC) for more info on what these are about....Acaeum member Serelan might have some info on whether a project like this might be worth following up with Troll Lords (Castles & Crusades).

Mike B.

http://www.goblinoidgames.com/

"THE MORE YOU THINK ABOUT WHY i DONE WHAT i DONE THE MORE i LAUGH" Cougar
"The Acaeum hates fun" Sir Allen
"I had a collecting emergency" Nogrod
Co-founder of the North Texas RPG Con
NTRPGCON

Active Collector

Post Posted: Sun Jul 26, 2009 5:47 pm 

This may be foolhardy, but the costs are manageable...

I have begun working on turning the completed Inferno module/mini-campaign into a high-quality PDF, with a estimated completion date of December 2010.  This is a necessary step whether the module is sold in PDF format, via print-on-demand, or both; it would also be necessary for publishing an offset printed paper version (in case I hit the lottery by then).  Once the PDF is ready, a decision can be made about how to distribute it; I can put off the decision for a year or so.  The intention is to simultaneously publish four separate products:  the Inferno Module consisting of generic and background information, module text, descriptions and statistics for the most important denizens (NPCs), plus maps; the Inferno Bestiary, containing statistics for most of the hundreds of creatures referenced in the module (perhaps the wandering monster tables would be taken out of the Module and attached to this); the Inferno Treasury, containing descriptions for the many new spells and enchanted items referenced in the module; and Samael's Tower, base of the King of Devils.  While the products would be priced and sold separately, a discount would be offered for the purchase of the Module, Bestiary, and Treasury together as a package (or perhaps bought separately but within a short period).  Two additional products are planned, the Oasis of Koessa, a second encounter area in the Desert of Fire (Seventh Circle), and Palace of the Diabolical Princes, a generic palace suitable for the base of operations of any of the Princes, Dukes, or Earls of Hell (both are already written).  Other products which further describe areas of the Plane of Gehenna outside of Inferno (Malebolge) are possible if the interest (sales) are there.  Early (e.g. not final) guesstimates of PDF prices is around $30 for the Module, $20 for the Bestiary and Treasury, $15 for Samael's Tower, with around a $15 discount for the package -- that would be for more than 1000 finished pages, or 1200 pages with the Tower included.

I have decided the expanded Inferno will written using my pseudo-1E rule set, which should be usable as-is by 1E and 2E players (just like Inferno's Fifth Circle, published in the third edition of ‘Fight On!' magazine); jugdes using other older-style systems may have some conversion work to do.  If a suitable 3E editor can be recruited, a 3E cross-walk may be available at a later date (someone with actual 3E experience has to check all my d20 work).  I am being assisted by my son Eric, a recent graduate with a degree in graphics design.  The first step is finding a graphics team (art and maps), and this is being done now; I will be looking for art that harkens back to that of the old Judges Guild.  I hope to see the first art towards the end of the year.  Any aspiring artists can contact me for specifics about the terms we are offering (hardly anything up front, a percentage later).

We will be working to establish a functional website by early next year.  I am seriously thinking of offering the text of the original Judges Guild Inferno for sale on this website (remember, I do not own the rights to the original art or maps)…the options are to, (1) make the original Inferno text available with only new maps and no interior artwork, or (2) make all new maps and commission some new artwork to go with it.  The new art option would obviously result in a slightly more expensive pdf.  I would appreciate hearing back from potential purchasers who have a preference (my personal preference is no-art).

The other things (PDFs) I am thinking about putting on this site include: sample art and covers from Inferno, a few of the final (after layout) pages of Inferno, some of my other game modules,  my articles submitted to ‘Fight On!', numerous tables of interest to the DM (coin weights, items for sale, town generator, character generator, wandering monster selection, etc.), and perhaps my Mercantile Compendium book.  Some of this material would available for gratis, while some would be at a low cost, under $3 (like the 7000-line table of items for sale, which includes cost, weight, rarity, and type of craftsman).

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Mon Jul 27, 2009 2:44 am 

Well. I'm in for buying anything you publish in PDF. If you use Lulu, remember that the PDF you upload for buyers needs to include the covers, whereas the uploads you provide for the print-on-demand side have the covers seperate.

Just bump the thread anytime you have something new up, and I'll be right in line to buy. We've been waiting on this for a while and it's good to hear it's moving along.

This week I've been mostly eating . . . The white ones with the little red flecks in them.

Long-Winded Collector
Subweb Admin
JG Valuation Board

Post Posted: Mon Jul 27, 2009 5:00 pm 

Awesome news.
We have a couple of artists on these forums, so you may get them contacting you.  I'd say a good map maker will help a lot for this, maybe Robert Conley can help.

I wonder if Lulu can do box sets.

ShaneG.

I reject your reality and substitute my own

Active Collector

Post Posted: Tue Sep 01, 2009 2:16 pm 

Here's where things are at now:

I've got a Production Manager/Layout Designer, eight signed artists, and a signed Cartographer.  Art assignments are going out this week.  If we sell anything then all these artists will be paid, so I'm hoping for some really good work.  The four or five book covers will each be full-color illustrations but all interior art and maps will be b/w in a somewhat 'traditional' D&D style.

"Malebolge: Journey through Inferno" is nominally written in my home-rule set but could essentially be run without conversion in OD&D, AD&D, or 2E (welll, you'd need to change the AC, but I'll provide a chart for that).  The target group is 6-8 adventurers between L12 and L18, averaging L15.  My best estimate is that it will require 10+sessions to complete.

We'd like to put up a website by the end of 2009, and I'm currently looking for a web designer who has experience with incorporating commercial transactions.  We intend to have customers directly download from our site and not go through a PDF reseller site.  The idea is to offer the Module, the Bestiary, and the Treasury as separate units, so you don't have to buy the whole thousand pages if you don't want to, but there will be a discount for buying all three within a short period of time. The "Module' piece will probably consist of three separate file downloads, maybe four, trying to keep each file to around 100 pages or so.

When the web site debuts it will have some of the art, and a free-download section - maybe some example module text, a few monsters, an artifact or two, and some of my other short non-Inferno work.  It will also have a pay-to-download section (see below).  I'd like it to also have some sort of forum/feedback ability, and some sort of pre-order function.  I would probably also post some of my rule set documents, although right now these really need some serious editing and I'm short on time to do it.

QUESTION:  Since I do have to pay for the web site and the artists are all getting some front-money, I'm thinking of making a variety of things useful to DM's available as cheap, but not free, downloads.  This could include a variety of tables (for example, a 7000-line table of equipment providing prices in CP and GP, weights, rarity, and craftsman type), maybe maps, etc.  Each download would be in the $1 to $2 range.  Would there be any interest in downloads of this kind?

Next up:  (1) what my production manager calls 'branding.'  Stuff like a company name, logo, color and layout themes, etc., (2) final editing of the text files, and (3) getting the art farmed out and started.

with regards to all,

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Wed Sep 02, 2009 1:43 am 

Additional PDFs, supplementary to the primary works, is something I would buy, but they generally would need to have a purpose in the event that the project were not completed. I wouldn't want to have $10 worth of tables that were of no use outside of a campaign setting that were never published.

Have you thought about small one shot single session adventure, maybe stuff that's not related? Anything sitting around that can be typeset and PDFed with relative ease?

As regards 'branded' good, original artwork, manuscript, authors proofs etc. These don't really interest me, but there should be plenty here who may be.

Great to here there is progress on this project. I'm up for the full range of PDFs when you publish.

This week I've been mostly eating . . . The white ones with the little red flecks in them.

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Mon Oct 19, 2009 5:54 pm 

Geoff...inferno was always one of my favorite things and i look forward to whatever you release...if its not d20/3E or 4E then thumbs up this side...i cant wait to get my hands on it and run the damn thing :)

Alan

Are we nearly there yet?

PreviousNext