Inferno 2005
Author

Long-Winded Collector
Subweb Admin
JG Valuation Board

Post Posted: Sun Jun 19, 2005 4:50 pm 

Geoff Dale wrote the following as found here: http://p096.ezboard.com/fnecromancergam ... D=49.topic

I have finished the update through the end of the Fourth Circle (the end of the original Inferno), and have started across the Styx towards the Walls of Dis on the Fifth Circle. The text is still in draft form and needs some polishing and editing, but all the major elements are there, and it's better organized than was the original. I'd like to say the update as a whole is better than the original but I may be biased about that. I'm still on schedule to finish the draft of a complete Inferno by early Fall 2005.

I could use a small number of reviewers and perhaps playtesters, keeping in mind the text isn't 3E rules yet (that happens later), and that my maps are crude. The area outside the Gates of Hell, the 5 Circles (including the zero'th), and background material (including the grimoire of devils) are each in PDF format; I probably wouldn't supply more than 2 to any one reviewer. I invite anyone interested to contact me, and tell me what part you would like to review.

Geoff Dale / PJE
Dallas TX  :twisted:

Anyone interested can contact him on the Necromancer Games forums or via his email address: [email protected]

ShaneG.

Long-Winded Collector
Subweb Admin
JG Valuation Board

Post Posted: Wed Aug 23, 2006 4:58 pm 

Well Inferno is done..text wise that is, now all that needs done I guess is conversion to 3.5 (course is open for C&C or OSRIC)
http://p105.ezboard.com/fnecromancergam ... 71&stop=72

ShaneG.

I reject your reality and substitute my own

Long-Winded Collector
Valuation Board

Post Posted: Thu Aug 24, 2006 3:40 am 

btw, yesterday, i came to my favorite rpg store and i found in my favorite shelf (the one of the OOP rpg, i think to be the only who loose time over time on that shelf!) an entire rpg dedicated to dante alighieri's inferno!  8O  i didn't know that existed such a similar game...

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Thu Aug 24, 2006 5:52 am 

Plaag wrote:Well Inferno is done..text wise that is, now all that needs done I guess is conversion to 3.5 (course is open for C&C or OSRIC)
http://p105.ezboard.com/fnecromancergam ... 71&stop=72

ShaneG.

yeah i also got an e-mail from Paul ELkmann about this just this morning.

will sit down and have a good read! i also suggested about the 1E route too. would love to see it published in that format too, as that would appeal to me far more than a 3.5 one would.

Al

Are we nearly there yet?

Prolific Collector
JG Valuation Board
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Thu Aug 24, 2006 3:47 pm 

killjoy32 wrote:

will sit down and have a good read! i also suggested about the 1E route too. would love to see it published in that format too, as that would appeal to me far more than a 3.5 one would.

Al

I'll second that.

An té nach mbíonn láidir ní folláir dó bheith glic

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i-ajduHx5hc

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Fri Dec 29, 2006 6:58 pm 

killjoy32 wrote:

And I will third (3RD) that as well. I really enjoyed Inferno and was very disappointed when I learned JG was not going to make volume 2.

This is indeed GOOD news for the New Year :D

"Okay, we turn the corner and see a Purple 'WHAT' !?!" . . (the DM rolls a 20 or so he says) . . It all went black right after that.

[email protected]

Active Collector

Post Posted: Fri Dec 29, 2006 8:34 pm 

Its a long story about that second JG volume, or maybe more than 1 story...

Status:  Am very close to finishing the monster and NPC conversions (working on the last couple monsters of Circle 8, with maybe another 10 to 12 to go after that).  Soon I'll be looking for a d20 editor or two to look the monsters over.  The treasure and magic item conversions go faster than the monsters.

On to artwork sometime this Spring maybe?  Since I'm not having any luck with the remaining d20 publishers, I'll have to pull something myself together to get Inferno out.  Maybe there will be a website up next year to help gauge the interest and print run.  Sometime after it comes out in 3E I'd like to do a 1E crosswalk, but probably as a PDF.

BTW Killjoy...what'd you think of the sample?

Geoff   :twisted:

Long-Winded Collector
Subweb Admin
JG Valuation Board

Post Posted: Sat Dec 30, 2006 7:11 am 

Geoff Dale wrote:Its a long story about that second JG volume, or maybe more than 1 story...

Status:  Am very close to finishing the monster and NPC conversions (working on the last couple monsters of Circle 8, with maybe another 10 to 12 to go after that).  Soon I'll be looking for a d20 editor or two to look the monsters over.  The treasure and magic item conversions go faster than the monsters.

On to artwork sometime this Spring maybe?  Since I'm not having any luck with the remaining d20 publishers, I'll have to pull something myself together to get Inferno out.  Maybe there will be a website up next year to help gauge the interest and print run.  Sometime after it comes out in 3E I'd like to do a 1E crosswalk, but probably as a PDF.

BTW Killjoy...what'd you think of the sample?

Geoff   :twisted:

You would probably be able to sell a print version of a 1E version of this as well, so something to ask if you put a website up to gauge interest.

ShaneG.

Active Collector

Post Posted: Fri Mar 02, 2007 12:58 pm 

Since Inferno was mentioned in the Badabaskor thread...Things progress but at a slower rate this year due to life issues - primarily the wife being out of town for almost 4 weeks helping her mother move, a couple of rounds of flu in the household, Girl Scout Cookie season, merit badges I'm teaching (Swimming & First Aid), and my son's BSA project.

*   The entire text was finished last August.
*   The Bestiary and NPC's are fully converted to 3E, totaling about 310 or so creatures
*   The generic section is converted
*   There are currently 3 skills, 7 spell-like abilities, 38 spells, and 130 wondrous objects converted, including all the artifacts through Circle 2
*   The Entry, Circle 0, Circle 1, and Circle 2 are converted to 3E
*   Circle 3 conversion is continuing.
*   Two pieces of Inferno, a second desert oasis on Circle 8, and a second Diabolic Palace (suitable for a Prince, Duke, or Earl of Hell) are written but not converted at all; these are 100+ pages each and will likely be released as separate projects after Inferno, or will be made available as a web-download (don't know yet), or both.

I'll be in PHX next week on business, so I hope to come home next Friday with Circles 3 & 4 (all of the old JG module) converted.  Then I'll be at Chimaercon in San Antonio TX [any texas gamers want to come try it?] next weekend running some Inferno playtests (my 1E-ish system not 3E).  I hope to meet up with the group that put out the new Badabaskor in SanA, so I'm getting close to having to make a decision on publishing it myself or not.  That means new website, art, finding a layout person, printers, etc.....

I've also converted the monsters in Lindoran to 3E, and drawn up some sketches for a new ruined-city section around its entrance, sketched a new third (middle) level and an aquaduct and cistern....I go back a type a few paragraphs when Inferno gets too frustrating.

My long-term goal is to put Inferno out in a 1E compatible format, but that can't come first.  Hold on grognards !!  I also plan on making the Bestiary and the Spell/Magic Items Book available as separate products independent of the "Inferno Set."

BTW cross your fingers, my son finished his last required BSA merit badges last Wednesday and his Eagle service project is tomorrow.  He has 25 days to get the project done and the paperwork to Council.

Geoff

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Fri Mar 02, 2007 1:02 pm 

Geoff

great to see and thanks so much for updating us all. now THIS baby, i really am interested in!!!

and if you put it out in 1E compitable format.... YAY!!! :D

i will definately be purchasing...but then anything 1E comp, i will purchase too.

top man!

Al

Are we nearly there yet?

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Fri Mar 02, 2007 1:29 pm 

Geoff Dale wrote:Since Inferno was mentioned in the Badabaskor thread...

This may be of interest to you to know that Jerry Pournelle and Larry Niven are hard at work at a sequel to their novel Inferno called Inferno 2.

Jerry Pournelle's Chaos Manor

Rob Conley

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Fri Mar 02, 2007 2:38 pm 

Geoff Dale wrote:
I've also converted the monsters in Lindoran to 3E, and drawn up some sketches for a new ruined-city section around its entrance, sketched a new third (middle) level and an aquaduct and cistern....I go back a type a few paragraphs when Inferno gets too frustrating.

Geoff

As I recall, Geoff, you said the Treasure Vaults of Lindoran was published in a different form than you first envisioned.

I had the distinct impression that there was a lot more background and surrounding area information that got edited out or envisioned but never created.

In my own 3.5 campaign, I eliminated the red dragon at the door and placed the key in a crypt.  I placed the elven city (which was obviously what you planned to be there) surrounding the vaults beneath a lava flow.  

I replaced the red dragon theme with a group of young red dragons who were nesting in a rift in the lava flow...amongst the ruins of the city.  The rift went all the way to the heart of the volcano, but the party did not go there.

Naturally, I had to modify the interior to account for the different style of play that has developed since Treasure Vaults of Lindoran was published.  I souped-up the monsters and added more elements of horror.  

(As I recall, I placed a group of undead elves in the crypt...trapped there by events as Lindoran was destroyed by volcanic eruption.)

A re-write would need to address why the elves left clues to help find their treasure. Such clues were a common theme in the modules of that time...but they seem strange now.

Mark   8)

"But I have watched the dragons come, fire-eyed, across the world."

Long-Winded Collector
Subweb Admin
JG Valuation Board

Post Posted: Fri Mar 02, 2007 3:38 pm 

Good to hear Geoff, I eagerly await this!

:D

Am I hearing this right about the Treasure Vaults of Lindoran, that you may be releasing this at some point too?

ShaneG.

Active Collector

Post Posted: Fri Mar 02, 2007 5:19 pm 

Its been a few years but I don't recall Lindoran as being published substantially differently than it was written.  JG wasn't very good at editing in those days, even when the module needed it (looking back from today's point of view, Inferno certainly did).  There was more backstory to Lindoran than got into the module, and elements of the same history can be found in the artifact writeups in Inferno -- neither are set in the JG Wilderlands.  I never had more than a few vague sketches of the city of Lindoran since it was pretty far from the main action in that campaign (unlike Inferno, I did playtest Treasure Vaults of Lindoran in my campaign).

For Lindoran the basic story was the elves had been settled for a long time in an oval valley surrounded by mountain ranges, the center of the valley filled by a large lake (Lake Elmen ?), maybe 200 miles long by 40 miles miles, with a major river running northward out of the valley and through the mountains to an estuary off the sea, maybe 350 miles away.  The capital city was Lindoran, located in the southeast corner of the valley near several large waterfalls coming off a particular mountain, forming a river running into the lake.  The king's cousin was a mage specializing in mind/spirit related spells (I may have written about Life-Mages in the JG Journal but I don't remember right now); one of his magic rituals backfires, causing him to develop an evil god-complex, and he goes into seclusion for a couple of hundred years while building an appropriately evil fortress.  Eventually the cousin comes back out under a new name and starts to incite rebellion among the elves, taking advantage of some royal scandals, crop failures which he helped induce, and a surge in monster incursions.  In the end the noble elven king, along with his outnumbered palace guard unit, rides out to defend his besieged capital knowing he isn't coming back.  Before he leaves he seals up the Vaults, hoping some future royal elf will come to claim the contents, but trying to defend it against mere treasure seekers.  Lindoran gets sacked and burned by the insane cousin and the surviving population takes to boats. fleeing north up the river, eventually founding a new city on the sea about 500 miles to the north.  The insane cousin goes back to his evil fortress and is still around somewhere.  That may sound like a common 1980's plot, but when I wrote it I was only 19, had been playing D&D only about 2 years, and had just read the Tolkien canon for the first time about 8 months earlier.

The Eostros folks are interested in Lindoran as one of their updated JG releases.  I think I can do a revised Lindoran in around 100 pages - something to do when Inferno is too overwhelming.

I've never been very impressed with the goth/horror genre and so you won't see any new horror elements from me, it just doesn't work with my understanding of elves....now the drow might be different.  Now the lava flow idea fits right in...there were active volcanoes in that mountain range nearby so layers of ash or lave work.

Thanks for the info Robert - I've collected Niven for a long time.

Geoff

Long-Winded Collector
Subweb Admin
JG Valuation Board

Post Posted: Fri Mar 02, 2007 6:33 pm 

Multiple Mage Magics was the title (Journal 21) and is all I can see regarding mages in the Journals and Dungeoneers.

ShaneG.

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Fri Mar 02, 2007 6:43 pm 

The lava flow idea allows for the vaults to be in a logical location.  It also provides a readily available rationale for why the elves are no longer there...beside...you know...being dead and all that.

When I say "horror" I just mean that there was a harder and more grim edge to the adventure than the module captures.  Like a lot of the modules that JG chose to print, Treasure Vaults of Lindoran has a fairly light-hearted feel (at least to me).  Even a JG module with a name like Hell Pits of Nightfang still comes across as kind of humorous...possibly because of the artwork.  Verbosh is outright funny.  Another module features bubble people and the theft of a giant's baby...by Satan.   :D

I believe I used a D20 "dread wraith" in Lindoran...against a fairly low level party.

I must say that Lindoran seems to be one of the rarer JG products.  I seldom see one for sale on Ebay.  I think I see Dark Tower or even Inferno more.  

(I feel lucky to have gotten Inferno for around $20 when I did!)

Your background description implies to me that the treasure vaults were located inside Lindoran...and the addition of a ruined city map would give the module the kind of scope that DM's like me absolutely love.  If the vaults had been only a rumor among the elves...and the entrance was buried in some way by the city's destruction, then it would explain why the evil cousin life wizard guy didn't take all the treasure long ago.

One way to give a harder edge to the module might be a ruin of some sort that conveys the feeling of lost beauty...of old tragedy that still lingers.  That would give Lindoran a real edge.

I did a similar thing for Caverns of Thracia.  The module seemed to suggest to me a far more extensive set of ruins than just an abandoned shrine.  I created a ruined city, still occupied by minotuars with a d20 uber-beast minotaur lairing at its center.  (The problem being, of course, that the city upstaged the dungeon crawl...should have thought of that.)

Treasure Vaults of Lindoran could also use some highly interesting treasure items...something that might be highly motivating for player-characters, but also likely to cause problems for them.  I may be being daft, but I do not remember a specific trouble-treasure in the module.

One problem with almost all JG modules was an uneven mix of monsters.  In Caverns of Thracia one might meet a small group of gnolls, or a flaming killer statue.  In Verbosh, Schuang Nau Tower (which I have since learned is the name of a real castle in Bavaria) has kobolds on its first level and a demon lord at the top.  That is one factor to watch for in a revised version of Lindoran.

Mark   8)

"But I have watched the dragons come, fire-eyed, across the world."

Last edited by FormCritic on Fri Mar 02, 2007 6:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Fri Mar 02, 2007 6:47 pm 

funnily enough i have some lindorans sat here, but i havent listed any thinking they show up too often :)

Al

Are we nearly there yet?

Active Collector

Post Posted: Tue Mar 20, 2007 3:17 pm 

With all the Circles through 5 converted, the Bestiary done, the Denizens (NPC's) done, Enchanted Items complete through Circle 5, and most of the Generic section done, this could be played in 3E, [I'm guessing here...] taking 4 to 6 game sessions to get through this first half of Inferno (and maybe another couple of Circles will be done by then).  If interested, sign your soul away with the "nice" Type 9A Devil in King Samael's Tower and watch out for his Secretary, she's a.....

On the publishing front for Inferno: still no publisher, the printer quotes I've gotten are too high, and financing is anything but secure. On the plus side I'm talking to some art students about maps and interior art.

Geoff

Next