Judges Guild Questions
Author

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Wed Oct 10, 2007 3:25 pm 

Flickr: tdewey100's Photostream

Posted photos there.  If you want me to send you a specific photo or if you want me to add a particular shot tell me.

Note that the back of booklet I has a printer error (black line across the top third of the page).  Annoyingly I've discovered that the previous owner has marked tiny blue X's in 10 of the maps.  Bah why do people do that.

Long-Winded Collector
Subweb Admin
JG Valuation Board

Post Posted: Wed Oct 10, 2007 3:43 pm 

tdewey10 wrote:Flickr: tdewey100's Photostream

Posted photos there.  If you want me to send you a specific photo or if you want me to add a particular shot tell me.

Note that the back of booklet I has a printer error (black line across the top third of the page).  Annoyingly I've discovered that the previous owner has marked tiny blue X's in 10 of the maps.  Bah why do people do that.

Thanks for those..the black line is the Equator line and that map has various changes to it throughout the years (which I've scanned but not posted anything yet). But it is in the right place for where the map should be. (The numbered map boxes on these maps though do change, which seems to cause confusion.)

ShaneG.

I reject your reality and substitute my own

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Wed Oct 10, 2007 5:21 pm 

Thanks for the info about the Equator line -- I don't recall seeing it so bold before -- but then I'm not noted for my perspicacity.

In any event, I'm listing the item as 1st printing, 2nd release.  Because the 2nd-3rd printing have the 32 page book instead of the 2 16-page booklets.  The 2 16-page booklets appear to be the same 2 16-page booklets of the 1st printing, 1st release (i.e. the installments).

Does anyone here object to that description?

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Wed Oct 10, 2007 6:40 pm 

That sounds about right. By the looks of it, they had some of the 16-page booklets left over and simply printed enough cover sheets to go with the booklets they had left. When the booklets got combined, they printed new cover sheets with the list on the back.

Interesting find!

Long-Winded Collector
Subweb Admin
JG Valuation Board

Post Posted: Wed Oct 10, 2007 8:43 pm 

Sounds good to me.

ShaneG.

Long-Winded Collector
Subweb Admin
JG Valuation Board

Post Posted: Fri May 08, 2009 4:48 pm 

Plaag wrote:From Louis Zocchi: "I paid Bob Bledsaw $350 on 5 separate occasions to bail him out of cash flow binds.  In exchange, I told him that I wanted the right to reprint 5 of his out of print works.  He agreed.  I dont remember how many copies of the few I xeroxed, but it was less than 25, and more like 10."

"The only Judges Guild adventure I reprinted was TEGEL MANOR.  We revised and expanded it to make it more useful and added several features, but left the floor plan the same.  We used black ink on white paper for the maps, to make them easier to read.  I felt that the light tan simulated partchment maps with dark brown ink, were too hard to read.  I have no recollection of ever xeroxing TEGEL MANOR.  If you found one, someone else did it.  I can't remember which of the Judges Guild items we xeroxed, but it was 4 or less because of my understanding with Bob.  Frankly, I don't think we xeroxed any of the titles you listed (these were Escape from Astigar's Lair, Inferno, Of Skulls and Scrapfaggot Green, Tegel Manor) because I did not consider them to be as good as Island book, 50 star bases, Castles book, and TEGEL MANOR."

"I thought we added one line of copy to the xeroxed items, saying, reprinted by Gamescience with permission of Judges Guild.  It has been

too long ago to remember for sure."

I've been told by another that Tower of Ulission and Treasury of Archaic Names was done through Zocchi, but can anyone confirm having a Island book I, 50 star bases, or Castles book I? (and can anyone also confirm the 'reprinted by..' line in said copies)

ShaneG.

*Bump* Since I don't want to thread jack the PotVQ thread.

ShaneG.

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Fri May 08, 2009 4:57 pm 

Thanks for that bump.

This week I've been mostly eating . . . The white ones with the little red flecks in them.

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Wed Jul 22, 2009 5:35 am 

My Wilderlands of the Magic Realms comes with an Errata Sheet (Designer's Notes) covering Maps 4 and 12 (presumably included with the product on account of it including Map 12).

There is no mention of this in the Vault listing for Magic Realms, or High Fantasy? And no independant listings for the Errata Sheets? Is this a new item to be found?

This week I've been mostly eating . . . The white ones with the little red flecks in them.

Long-Winded Collector
Subweb Admin
JG Valuation Board

Post Posted: Sat Jul 25, 2009 9:03 pm 

. wrote:My Wilderlands of the Magic Realms comes with an Errata Sheet (Designer's Notes) covering Maps 4 and 12 (presumably included with the product on account of it including Map 12).

There is no mention of this in the Vault listing for Magic Realms, or High Fantasy? And no independant listings for the Errata Sheets? Is this a new item to be found?

Damn I thought I had this on the site, I do have it as well have some other pictures that show it.  Not sure if it comes with all of them, or a certain printing, or even a smaller sample.  Its the page from Journal W just as a separate sheet.

ShaneG.

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sun Jul 26, 2009 4:06 am 

That's the one. Labelled Page 15. It was with my 1st Printing of Magic Realms, which probably means it was shipped in the envelope with the relevant installment.

** Banned **

Post Posted: Wed Oct 14, 2009 8:51 am 

Figured I'd bump this thread rather than start a new one...

Having completed my collecting goals for TSR A/D&D, I'm now starting to branch out into Judges Guild material somewhat. I've picked up the Ready Ref Sheets and have a couple of other items on the way (Castle Book II, Caves and Caverns, and Portals of Twilight, just to get my feet wet).

I'm mostly intrigued by the Campaign Hexagon System and related products. Are these as good as they sound? Is there any particular order in which I should acquire them? These would be for (gentle) use in developing my campaign, and if I really liked them then later I would pick up archive copies in VF condition or better (this has been my strategy with A/D&D stuff, as well). Any suggestions, ideas, etc.? TIA.

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Wed Oct 14, 2009 9:10 am 

There's the campaign hexagon book, which is just abook full of blank JG hexagon sheets like the ones used in Castles and Islands books, these are pretty cheap ($5 or so) but don't pop up that often.

There's the blank hex mapping sheets which are large sepia coloured fold out blank mapping sheets, originally sold prepacked in fours with a cover sheet. In origianl shrink they're pretty rare and pretty expensive, but the blank mapping sheets do crop up occasionally on their own or thrown in with other maps in job lots, and in this way tend not to be too pricey.

Then there's the Campaign Cartographer's Field Book which is a more elaborate version of the hexagon book. More pages, different types of papers for different things, and little blank tables for filling out. Again these are pretty cheap and there was a surplus of these on the market at one point. They used to sell for $2 a shot, but I suspect that may now be $5 or so.

Sotty, I don't know the exact designations. Dig around in the product pages here and you'll find descriptions and pictures of the items you're looking for. I'd stick to the Cartographer's Field Book, and the Campaign Hexagon Book, if you're looking for stuff to use.

There was also a PDF put out by Judges Guild/Necromancer Games of the blank A2 mapping sheet for people who could print their own at home. It may well still be linked to here, or archived over on Dragonsfoot.

** Banned **

Post Posted: Wed Oct 14, 2009 9:55 am 

I'm not so much interested in the Fantasy Cartographer's Field Guide (which I assume is what you mean by Campaign Cartographer's Field Book), as I can pretty much print out my own hex paper and customize that. What I'm really interested in knowing is whether the random charts/tables in the Campaign Hexagon System are useful. I've never run across any other product that has a utility for generating wilderness terrain, and would like one. Is that any good? How do the other products (like Island Book, Castle Book, etc.) "fit" into the Campaign Hex System? What's it all about, really? Thanks.

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Wed Oct 14, 2009 10:07 am 

That's something I'll have to leave others to reply to. I've not used them myself outside of them sitting on my shelf.  :oops:

** Banned **

Post Posted: Wed Oct 14, 2009 4:18 pm 

I know the feeling; there's plenty of stuff on my shelves I've never even cracked open (mostly more recent RPG systems). No problem, I'm sure someone else will chime in eventually. Thanks for your thoughts.

Long-Winded Collector
Subweb Admin
JG Valuation Board

Post Posted: Wed Oct 14, 2009 5:10 pm 

Think Ian was referring to these Campaign Hexagon System and Fantasy Cartgrapher's Field Book. There is also an Astrogaters Chart Book but well they are for having blank maps.
But for your needs you'll probably want to try getting the Wilderlands and Wilderness products.  The Village/Castle/Island books are also nice for quick maps.  Course if you want charts for wilderness and not want any setting type material then you really only need the Ready Ref Sheets 2nd Edition book which you should be able to find available and cheap.

ShaneG.

Prolific Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Thu Oct 15, 2009 9:05 pm 

MetamorphosisSigma wrote:Figured I'd bump this thread rather than start a new one...

Having completed my collecting goals for TSR A/D&D, I'm now starting to branch out into Judges Guild material somewhat. I've picked up the Ready Ref Sheets and have a couple of other items on the way (Castle Book II, Caves and Caverns, and Portals of Twilight, just to get my feet wet).

I'm mostly intrigued by the Campaign Hexagon System and related products. Are these as good as they sound? Is there any particular order in which I should acquire them? These would be for (gentle) use in developing my campaign, and if I really liked them then later I would pick up archive copies in VF condition or better (this has been my strategy with A/D&D stuff, as well). Any suggestions, ideas, etc.? TIA.

I have two copies of the Campaign Hex System. If you'd like one, send me a msg and we can sort it out

Mary

** Banned **

Post Posted: Fri Oct 16, 2009 5:57 pm 

Thanks, PM sent.

Ithaca Dragon
-==(UDIC)==-

PreviousNext