wanna sell it :)

Al

It has been three hole punched.

Stuart

S. Jacobson
You're never alone with a rubber duck

Sage Collector

Post Posted: Mon Aug 27, 2007 6:33 pm 

Journals... I'm totally lost on what these are, and how to tell what is what. I bought some, mistaking one of them for something else, and now, having read through a few, I like them and want to get the others, but I don't know what the hell they even are. Anyway, I looked at the breakdown of stuff by title, and I am lost on them... seems some numbers are missing and some have letters and numbers. So, does anyone actually have pictures of all of them so I can tell them apart?

I have these ones:

The Judges Guild Journal #12 (Holiday Special)
The Judges Guild Journal #13
The Judges Guild Journal #14
The Judges Guild Journal #15
The Judges Guild Journal #16
The Judges Guild Journal #18
The Judges Guild Journal #19
The Judges Guild Journal #20
The Judges Guild Journal #21

Obviously, I'd like #1 - 11 and #22+

What other things are related?

Those who can, don't. Those who should not, do.

Verbose Collector

Post Posted: Mon Aug 27, 2007 6:47 pm 

- So, does anyone actually have pictures of all of them so I can tell them apart?
Index by Title ?? ;) ;) 22+ see dungeoneer

Sage Collector

Post Posted: Mon Aug 27, 2007 8:35 pm 

Umm, I already looked there and it 1) doesn't make any sense, and 2) doesn't seem to have what I'm talking about anyway.

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Mon Aug 27, 2007 8:35 pm 

Heading off a mystery, Serelean:

Issues 1-6 of the Dungeoneer are available as a compendium.

Be aware that issue 19 of the Dungeoneer and issue 22 of the Judges Guild Journal are one and the same magazine.

After that, the two magazines became The Dungeoneer Journal, which begins at #23 and runs to #25.

After that, the Judges Guild magazine was re-named Pegasus...starting with issue #1 and running to issue #12.

Issue #13 of Pegasus never got printed...its manuscript is presumably hidden near the Lost Dutchman Mine.

Issue #14 of Pegasus was printed in a limited run...and pretty much given away in cereal boxes before the printer siezed all the remaining issues for non-payment.  A few Acaeum members have copies.

Issue #15 of Pegasus exists only as a free pdf download.

"But I have watched the dragons come, fire-eyed, across the world."

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Mon Aug 27, 2007 8:45 pm 

serleran wrote:Umm, I already looked there and it 1) doesn't make any sense, and 2) doesn't seem to have what I'm talking about anyway.

Did you try clicking on the links, selerean?  There are pictures of each magazine.

Also, be aware that the Judges Guild Journals are listed as just "Journal L" and the like.

The Judges Guild Journals were sent out with monthly game publications to subscribers.  For some reason, they were given letters as designators, in addition to numbers.

Judges Guild Journal #17, for instance is also Journal Z.

Judges Guild diehard collectors sometimes insist on using the letter nomenclature for the Judges Guild Journals, rather than the very clear and very obvious number designations.  

They probably do this in order to make it easier to identify the adventure publication installments that were mailed with the Judges Guild Journals.

Sage Collector

Post Posted: Mon Aug 27, 2007 8:48 pm 

Yes, I clicked on some of them. Not all of them, though. Guess I'll have to try and figure out the letter code on these things too.

Ok, then it looks like I have:

U
V
W
X
Y

Thanks for the help.

Long-Winded Collector
Subweb Admin
JG Valuation Board

Post Posted: Tue Aug 28, 2007 12:44 pm 

Yeah should probably clear that up when I'm able to access the site.

Journals I, J, K (issues #0, #1, #2) are single sheets of paper
L, M (issues #3, #4) are slightly bigger having more sheets
then N-T (#5-11) become newspaper style
You have most of the rest...the series ends at #22 when it is combined with the Dungeoneer 19: Dungeoneer 19/Journal 22
Then it goes as Dungeoneers Journal (23-25)

The Dungeoneers and Pegasus magazines are related, though different in feel (and they are numbered).

I actually have Journals K, M, and the newspaper ones: 5-11 that I can sell you if still interested.

ShaneG.

I reject your reality and substitute my own

Long-Winded Collector
Subweb Admin
JG Valuation Board

Post Posted: Tue Aug 28, 2007 12:53 pm 

Labrat wrote:
Shane,  

I do have a copy of the Monstrous Statistics Compendiun Sheet.  I don't know which installment it came in since it went directly into my gaming binder 30 years ago for quick reference.  I suspect that is what happened to most of them.

Stuart

Ah, cool. Then that is two known Installment M's with them.

Nice to see you join the site as well 8)

((side note getting Tom's scan... it was the other Booklet M))

ShaneG.

Sage Collector

Post Posted: Tue Aug 28, 2007 1:10 pm 

PM sent. :) Thanks.

I'm starting to understand the numbering/lettering scheme used by JG. Its worse than TSR, but once you know it, its not that bad.

Sage Collector

Post Posted: Tue Aug 28, 2007 4:29 pm 

Dungeoneer #20 & Judges Guild Journal Installment E both feature nude centerfolds of Dave Arneson. For this reason they are avoided by collectors & typically omitted from comprehensive lists of Judges Guild product.

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Thu Aug 30, 2007 11:01 am 

Plaag wrote:
Only one case states having Journal M: Ian's copy at the time..so if all of these were Installment M's then they seem to have lost the Journal M.

This is basically where I'm standing at the moment on this..It is not an Installment without the Journal. (Yeah envelopes get tossed, so to have it is a bonus, but to claim booklet and maps is Installment, sorry you have to come up with something more definitive.)

ShaneG.

To confuse things even more The Booty List in Dungeon eer 15 identifies the Modron Installment as having the map, booklet and monster compendium.  But no Journal.  (Item #34)

The Booklet M entry (Item #32) does mention the RR chart listing monster statistics. Journal M (Item #33) is a seperate entry (as per the usual JG method).

Unfortunately this is the earliet Dungeoneer/JGJ I have that mentions Modron w/ the monstroujs compendium.  However I only have one other JGJ (X) in between Journal L and this Dungeoneer.  So I'd be interested to see if there are earlier Booty Lists that mention the Modron Installment sans the Monstrous Compendium.

I'm wondering if it got added to sell more (given that Modron apparently wasn't a huge seller) or if it was just a weird early printing issue that a some early Installment Ms were missing a booklet they were supposed to have.  

Apologies for keeping this subject alive but even though I sold my Booklet M I'd like to know for some future re-purchase of the item.

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Tue Sep 04, 2007 3:53 am 

Well, I am suitably confused.  :cry:

Modron went through more than a couple printings, so it must have sold....?

Long-Winded Collector
Subweb Admin
JG Valuation Board

Post Posted: Sun Sep 09, 2007 7:26 am 

serleran wrote:Umm, I already looked there and it 1) doesn't make any sense, and 2) doesn't seem to have what I'm talking about anyway.

Sort of testing out how to list the Journals (check out by System index)
Also with Journal I am testing out a slight modification.

ShaneG.

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Sun Sep 09, 2007 2:17 pm 

My Installment M probably came with the Monstrous Compendium.  I am guessing since everything I have sat in a box for years and they different installments were all stored together, so I have been reconstructing what came with what from this site.  Unfortunately, I did not keep envelopes, but it looks like I am only missing a couple of the single pages that later became the Ready Ref sheets.

Does anyone know if JG's subscriber records were destroyed?  I think I started subscribing around Installment L, but I am not sure.  It might help reconstructing what I got and when.

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Sun Sep 09, 2007 2:39 pm 

ddt58 wrote:Does anyone know if JG's subscriber records were destroyed?  I think I started subscribing around Installment L, but I am not sure.  It might help reconstructing what I got and when.

Long gone, unless they are still mouldering in a long-lost and forgotten storage unit somewhere in Decatur, Illinois...

Long-Winded Collector
Subweb Admin
JG Valuation Board

Post Posted: Sun Sep 09, 2007 2:59 pm 

ddt58 wrote:My Installment M probably came with the Monstrous Compendium.  I am guessing since everything I have sat in a box for years and they different installments were all stored together, so I have been reconstructing what came with what from this site.  Unfortunately, I did not keep envelopes, but it looks like I am only missing a couple of the single pages that later became the Ready Ref sheets.

Does anyone know if JG's subscriber records were destroyed?  I think I started subscribing around Installment L, but I am not sure.  It might help reconstructing what I got and when.

Darn, asked in catalog thread if you have envelopes..bummer.

But keep remembering, always good to know more about that time.

ShaneG.

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Mon Sep 10, 2007 3:05 am 

jamesmishler wrote:
Long gone, unless they are still mouldering in a long-lost and forgotten storage unit somewhere in Decatur, Illinois...

Actually...has anyone asked Fencert if he has them?  During a phone conversation he once mentioned having company correspondence....?

PreviousNext