Judges Guild Questions
Post new topic Reply to topic Page 24 of 40123 ... 21, 22, 23, 24, 25 ... 383940
Author

Long-Winded Collector
Subweb Admin
JG Valuation Board

Post Posted: Sun Apr 16, 2006 12:46 pm 

Alright time to discuss the new Judges Guild items that have shown themselves: Non yellow swamp City State Player Map, CSIO Pink Mailing Card and Initial Subscription Advert Card.

Course to the winner of those items..if you could PM me some scans and info that would be appreciated (when they arrive of course).

My thoughts on the Pink Mailing card is that it seems to be the same color as the 1st print Tac Cards Action cards..a sign it was first? I think its a possibility seeing as Judges Guild seems to stop using anything pink after the Tac Cards.

Initial Subscription card matches the Dragon #4 (Dec76) ad.. With the Sept 30th date to send it in by for the discount..this helps to put dates on #2 to #8.

The CS Player Map is the one I'm interested in to see if it is exactly like the Yellow swamp one (measurements/comments as I posted in another thread)..It looks identical but of course I need confirmation.

ShaneG.

Long-Winded Collector
Subweb Admin
JG Valuation Board

Post Posted: Fri May 05, 2006 8:27 pm 

JOURNAL 15 (X) June/July 1979
What's coming up from JG. Well, first we have a lot more D&D and AD&D ® game-aids planned. We have received permission from the CHAOSium to do play-aids for Runequest and are tossing around sonic ideas for them. We have had some discussions with FGU, too, and are looking forward to doing several things for them. Also in the works are some playing aids for some of Lou Zocchi's games. City-State of the World Emperor is making progress (I'm sure that you'll he glad to hear that). There will be a second book of Villages soon, to supplement one of our bestselling playing aids: Village Book I Also a book of Castles is in the works. Along with Traveller we are working on some projects for En Garde for GDW. Many more goodies and surprises are in store for you. Some other titles to be watching for are Caverns of Thracia (ed: 102), Lurid Lairs (ed: 1000 never released), Star Ventures, Verbosh (ed: 108) and much, much more.

JOURNAL 16 (Y) August/September 1979
Lots of new things have come in and are now available through Judges Guild since the last issue. Lots of new products are being worked on, too. Shortly, you will be seeing the first of the HomeTown series from Bryan Hinnen. Also, the Village Book II (ed: 104) is coming along. A new space station dungeon for Traveller, Dra'k'ne, (ed: 105) should be ready shortly, also. Still being worked on are C-S of the World Emporer, Castles Book II, and several other items which include projects for Runequest (ed: first item 107), C&S (ed: only item 250), S&S, and SuperHero 2044 (ed: first item 430). We have, also, started talks with FBI for possible T&T projects in the future. Other game systems we are lining up projects for include En Garde by GDW. The first of our TRS-80 software sales games will be back from the cassette producer by the time you read this. If you have a TRS-60, you won't want to miss our new TREK-80 (ed: 100) which retails at $15 and can be used on any TRS-80 with 16K or more. By the way, if any of you know of any businesses with a 32K, 3-disk drive system or better, we will be marketing a business system for the TRS-80 which is better than any other we have seen or heard about. Have them contact us for details.

HomeTown series later known as the Wilderness Series
111          Mines of Custalcon (Wilderness Book 1 of 5) 1979
270         Spies of Lightelf (Wilderness Book 2 of 5) 1980
1010         Shield Maidens of Sea Rune (Wilderness Book 3 of 5)
1030         Pirates of Hagrost (Wilderness Book 4 of 5)
1090         Witches Court Marshes (Wilderness Book 5 of 5)

Question:
What company is FGU?
What Company is S&S?
Was Star Ventures renamed or never materialized?

ShaneG.

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Fri May 05, 2006 8:30 pm 

FGU - Fantasy Games Unlimited perchance?

Al

Are we nearly there yet?

Long-Winded Collector
Subweb Admin
JG Valuation Board

Post Posted: Fri May 05, 2006 8:35 pm 

That would fit..and around the time period.

ShaneG.

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Fri May 05, 2006 8:38 pm 

Plaag wrote:That would fit..and around the time period.

ShaneG.

yeah thats what i thought.

S&S though, could be a few... sword & sorcery? nah thats the name of the new 3E company isnt it...

Al

Are we nearly there yet?

Long-Winded Collector
Subweb Admin
JG Valuation Board

Post Posted: Fri May 05, 2006 8:39 pm 

You are right Al. :)

Fantasy Games Unlimited did Villains & Vigilantes, which Judges Guild did as #580 Break in at Three Kilometer Island.

ShaneG.

Long-Winded Collector
Subweb Admin
JG Valuation Board

Post Posted: Fri May 05, 2006 8:41 pm 

killjoy32 wrote:
Plaag wrote:That would fit..and around the time period.

ShaneG.

yeah thats what i thought.

S&S though, could be a few... sword & sorcery? nah thats the name of the new 3E company isnt it...

Al

Yeah it is the 3E company, but surprised the name wasn't used earlier, or was it.

ShaneG.

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Fri May 05, 2006 8:47 pm 

just had a quick look through the journals i have - quick mind. couldnt fina any other reference to S&S, so maybe that lead didnt pan out?

none of the mods fit any other scenario, other than empire of the petal throne

Al

Are we nearly there yet?

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Fri May 05, 2006 8:51 pm 

Plaag wrote:Yeah it is the 3E company, but surprised the name wasn't used earlier, or was it.

ShaneG.

just did a quick web browse and cant find nothing pre 3E but then its hard to search really cos it comes up with allsorts of crap.

Al

Are we nearly there yet?

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Fri May 05, 2006 8:55 pm 

only other thing i saw was something on Ian's site

Squadron/Signal Publications Inc...

they did that "Down in the Dungeon" back in '81.

doesnt seem right to me though, although maybe it was a plan that didnt work out.... am thinking more that anyway.

Al

Are we nearly there yet?

Long-Winded Collector
Subweb Admin
JG Valuation Board

Post Posted: Fri May 05, 2006 9:04 pm 

killjoy32 wrote:
Plaag wrote:Yeah it is the 3E company, but surprised the name wasn't used earlier, or was it.

ShaneG.

just did a quick web browse and cant find nothing pre 3E but then its hard to search really cos it comes up with allsorts of crap.

Al

Yeah same here..also did check out Ian's site and a few other ones that list companies..no luck.

ShaneG.

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Fri May 05, 2006 9:18 pm 

wahay!

god i'm good.

shane, JG journal # 18 (#121)

"Starships & Spacemen"

The Inside Scoop on Gaming - RPGnet

that should do the job :)

and here's an auction that finished last month:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... 8789115997

Al

Are we nearly there yet?

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Fri May 05, 2006 11:25 pm 

Good sleuthing, Killjoy.

Mark   8)

"But I have watched the dragons come, fire-eyed, across the world."

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Sat May 06, 2006 4:53 am 

MShipley88 wrote:Good sleuthing, Killjoy.

Mark   8)

i think i even impressed myself there - its nice to find something from time to time - makes research far more satisfying!

it does make you take stock tho too. wtf am i doing at 1.15am!!!  8O  8O  

:D

Al

Are we nearly there yet?

Long-Winded Collector
Subweb Admin
JG Valuation Board

Post Posted: Sat May 06, 2006 9:10 am 

Thanks Al
Now I'll have to check out Journal 18.

ShaneG.

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Wed May 10, 2006 5:04 am 

was just a general thought really as we are trying to iron out some "guideline" values on JG items.

i was just looking at the classifieds there and there was this:

viewtopic.php?t=3930

now i dont regard myself as any form of expert in any field here, david, ian and shane put me to shame here, but i am pretty sharp on the values tho.

Lara's Tower - is probably uncommon

Temple of Ra - depends on the print - 1st quite rare and the later prints become more common

Sea Steeds & Wave Riders - 1st print is quite common and a nice shrinked 2nd is uncommon/slightly rare

The Fantasy Cartographer's Field Book - is very common (i should know as i have a sh*t load of em)

so them all combined i would say youre looking at what, maybe $15-20 and thats being prb kind.

so then we are left with what $80-85 to throw at a complete CSWE and a dark tower.

now i know some of us have caught a dark tower for a juicy price, but normally, they go for decent cash - maybe about $25-30. i have sold them for more once or twice, but they were VERY nice copies. i think quality and print has a big effect on this one as it will bring more collectors out of the woodwork, the older the print is and the nicer the quality, the more inclined ppl are to have a piece of the action.

now CSWE. mmmm well, i have grabbed these for around $15-20 on a number of occasions, all in differing conditions, but the values dont seem to change that much and i certainly wouldnt rate is as "rare", maybe uncommon being a complete item, but nothing better than that imo.

so what do y'all think? JP if you read this, sorry chummer, i am not trying to hit your sale in any way - so please dont think that, but i AM trying to get to the bottom of values and i dont know of any sales that would peak the sum on that sale.

if anything, dark tower is the premier item there, followed by CSWE and then the rest.

anyway - just thought it would make a good discussion?

Al

Are we nearly there yet?

Long-Winded Collector
Subweb Admin
JG Valuation Board

Post Posted: Wed May 10, 2006 1:59 pm 

I'll agree on the CSWE and Dark Towers going for $25-$30 each
Lara's Tower seems to hit $5+
Temple of Ra $10+
Sea Steeds & Wave Riders >$5
The Fantasy Cartographer's Field Book >$5

CSWE have the oddest habit of going one way then another in price however, and has the broadest range. I've seen complete sets go from $15 to $50+

Really though I'm not sure how well the more common Judges Guild items do trying to sell them just through here. (Since I know TimK did well selling rares) Though yeah I've done a private sale, but I've not seen that many Judges Guild items posted.

ShaneG.

Long-Winded Collector
Subweb Admin
JG Valuation Board

Post Posted: Mon May 22, 2006 10:48 am 

Interesting in the other Dungeon Contest (results in Journal 21 - 1980, June/July) is that Rat on a Stick looses yet becomes #850 published through Judges Guild and Beastmaker Mountain looses and is published by Mayfair in 1982.

ShaneG.

PreviousNext
Post new topic Reply to topic Page 24 of 40123 ... 21, 22, 23, 24, 25 ... 383940