Judges Guild Questions
Author

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Sat May 28, 2005 7:06 pm 

harami2000 wrote:Busy thread here, tonight... :) :D

Yeah David, me being a sad sap cos i aint got nuthin better to do mate :)

Did you get my PM? I will send you an I-6 / I-8 and Character Sheet in the post when i get round to it.

Right done enough research for one night :)

C'mon Plaag whats next chummer :)

off to bed - see y'all ! :)

Al

Are we nearly there yet?

Sage Collector

Post Posted: Sat May 28, 2005 7:08 pm 

killjoy32 wrote:Did you get my PM? I will send you an I-6 / I-8 and Character Sheet in the post when i get round to it.

(That was the reason for the ":D"! Thanks again, Al).

killjoy32 wrote:off to bed - see y'all ! :)

G'night! :)

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Sat May 28, 2005 7:13 pm 

I got one of them on the way to me :D

Are we nearly there yet?

Long-Winded Collector
Subweb Admin
JG Valuation Board

Post Posted: Sat May 28, 2005 7:40 pm 

killjoy32 wrote:
harami2000 wrote:Busy thread here, tonight... :) :D

Yeah David, me being a sad sap cos i aint got nuthin better to do mate :)

Did you get my PM? I will send you an I-6 / I-8 and Character Sheet in the post when i get round to it.

Right done enough research for one night :)

C'mon Plaag whats next chummer :)

off to bed - see y'all ! :)

Al

Whats next huh, well hum....nothing yet I suppose, though actually isn't Pegasus 10 item number 1160?

On other news:

Buy Game card and board role LudikBazar

Site has two JG catalogs though they were added in 2004.

Sage Collector

Post Posted: Sat May 28, 2005 8:36 pm 

(still 02cents, only)

harami2000 wrote:@ Mike <IO>; do your maps without the copyright date also have I-# numbering...?

*pulls note back onto the current page*

Also, in passing, I missed another post on the Necromancer Games forum to go with the previous quote.

Bob Bledsaw (2002) wrote:http://p096.ezboard.com/fnecromancergam ... =1&stop=20
At the 1975 Gen Con, Bill Owen and myself sat at a small table where I sold the first City State installment with all four map sections rolled up to prevent creases. I promise more particulars later.

Now that mentions an "installment" (of whatever form!)... and, presuming that timescale, also opens up those other questions about the "missing year", etc.

(Bob's post also mentions how this developed from his own campaigns (late 74/early 75?). Would be nice to have a few more of those "particulars", I think. :)
A later post on that page seems to go forward to "first products" including the Tac Cards (definitely just pre-Oct '76) then back to the CSIO map again, without noting the date specifically).

My previous comments/observations re. "presumptions" on nature of printings, etc., still stand for the time-being, Mike. ;)

=

Not being incorporated until 1976 has presumably caused a false presumption for many people (including myself) at a later date.
(And for lack of any further history details, the only other hints might've been in those journals or perhaps from that quirk of suddenly having such a large number of subscribers).

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Sat May 28, 2005 10:16 pm 

invincibleoverlord wrote:AWhat's funny is I came across a Booklet I a few years ago that is solid white with black lettering. It is also missing the "Copyright 1976 Judges Guild" text on the front page, the space is just blank. Other than that their identical. It's not a Xerox copy, it's definitely printed, and it came in a sealed JG mailer envelope P.O. marked in mid 76.

Overlord,

How is the book numbered? Note how the brown booklet "I" is numbered "I-13" to "I-28," though the other booklets are numbered beginning with page 1. If your version of the booklet only has 12 pages instead of 16, and are numbered "1" to "12" or "I-1" to "I-12," that could certainly well indicate that what you have is the True First, or at the very least, a second printing of the original "I" that was sold at that Gen Con...

Sage Collector

Post Posted: Sat May 28, 2005 10:22 pm 

*nods*. thx. :)

(oops, I should've clipped the previous line of my post Judges Guild Questions • Page 2 • Judges Guild •  The Acaeum , as well as the one, above.
Hadn't expected to be on a new page quite so soon! ;)).

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Sun May 29, 2005 4:34 am 

Plaag wrote:Whats next huh, well hum....nothing yet I suppose, though actually isn't Pegasus 10 item number 1160?

Pegasus 10 is actually quite an interesting item:

On Judges Guild - Product List , it is listed as item 1060.

On Magazine , it is listed as item 1160.

if you look very closely at the bottom of this pic:

you will see that the code 1100 is printed on the item (which is the code for Caves & Caverns, so go take your pick :)

1160 would make sense, as this is after 9 and before 11, but i have noticed discrepancies in the numbering order a few times before, so i guess it IS possible to be another number.

Al

Are we nearly there yet?

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Sun May 29, 2005 4:46 am 

jamesmishler wrote:
invincibleoverlord wrote:AWhat's funny is I came across a Booklet I a few years ago that is solid white with black lettering. It is also missing the "Copyright 1976 Judges Guild" text on the front page, the space is just blank. Other than that their identical. It's not a Xerox copy, it's definitely printed, and it came in a sealed JG mailer envelope P.O. marked in mid 76.

Overlord,

How is the book numbered? Note how the brown booklet "I" is numbered "I-13" to "I-28," though the other booklets are numbered beginning with page 1. If your version of the booklet only has 12 pages instead of 16, and are numbered "1" to "12" or "I-1" to "I-12," that could certainly well indicate that what you have is the True First, or at the very least, a second printing of the original "I" that was sold at that Gen Con...

would it have been possible maybe, that they were NOT in booklet form, but rather loose sheets? just a thought as i have a sheet (scanned earlier in the thread) that is I-6 and I-8....

Al

Are we nearly there yet?

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Sun May 29, 2005 6:23 am 

Wow this thread went a little crazy. Just goes to show there's a lot of interest in the old JG stuff. Particularly the early material, it's appeal IMO comes from the fact of just how raw it looks. Let's be honest, it's maybe only a step above what any of us could produce ourselves…at least visually. Not a lot of art for one thing, and the stark maps and text filled pages look all business.

Over the years we've managed to collect all of the early stuff… many in multiples by default. It wasn't easy; it is a hodge-podge especially concerning the first Booty List with items #1 -- 17 (This is the earliest product list I've seen David and seems to be about a year into the JG doing business.). Confusion comes from the fact that there were subscription items, and non-subscription items. Some of those items Booklets, maps, and such are in both categories. For instance non-subscription item #12 City State Play Aid is really subscription items # 1,3,4,8,15,16,17 and non-subscription item # 10 with a cover sheet. I don't know what makes up the #11 Special Starter Package, but at $20 twice the price of #9 City State Play Aid…I'd guess you would get twice as much stuff. I presume it could also be said of the #13 Deluxe Fantasy Package at $19.95? Anyone have these?

The First Ready Ref Sheets are hard to come by. We still don't have a cover sheet, but we have all of the rest including the one's missing on the JG Codex that needs scans. Many of these are in multiples, so if someone wants to trade for a cover sheet, or for that matter would sell one. Give me a PM.

The Tac Cards where available for a long time. That's why the first prints have the P.O. box address like these early items, and then latter copies have the street address like the items produced later. Take a look at an older product list it will read #2 Tac Cards, and then jump to items numbered 50+. So why are they so rare? but they are?

Concerning the White Guideline Booklet I. It is identical to the two orangey-brown Booklets we have in everyway. The only difference is it is absent of the "Copyright 1976 by Judges Guild". It is numbered pages I-13 to I-28 like the other two Booklets.

The four maps that make up the City State that came with the White Booklet are identical to the others. Again, only it is void of the copyright.

One quick thought, the article we're reading about the mystery 76 GenCon maps is not as historical as we'd take it to I think, and they may just not be mentioning the booklet for whatever reason. The only reason I say this is you need the booklet for the map. The two go hand in hand.

Thoughts…

"Its either a wand to cast Bigby's Hand spells or a +3 backscratcher. We're not sure which."

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Sun May 29, 2005 6:25 am 

Killjoy wrote:

would it have been possible maybe, that they were NOT in booklet form, but rather loose sheets? just a thought as i have a sheet (scanned earlier in the thread) that is I-6 and I-8....

Yes this is correct.

"Its either a wand to cast Bigby's Hand spells or a +3 backscratcher. We're not sure which."

Long-Winded Collector
Subweb Admin
JG Valuation Board

Post Posted: Sun May 29, 2005 10:39 am 

invincibleoverlord wrote:Concerning the White Guideline Booklet I. It is identical to the two orangey-brown Booklets we have in everyway. The only difference is it is absent of the "Copyright 1976 by Judges Guild". It is numbered pages I-13 to I-28 like the other two Booklets.

Thoughts…

Cracking part of the code:
JG8 Dungeon Level Maps I 1-5
JG5-7 Sheet I-6 Man to man melee charts, Sheet I-7 Monsters attacking charts, I-8 Men Attacking

Now what is labeled I 9, I 10, I 11, and I 12?

ShaneG.

Long-Winded Collector
Subweb Admin
JG Valuation Board

Post Posted: Sun May 29, 2005 10:50 am 

killjoy32 wrote:
Plaag wrote:Whats next huh, well hum....nothing yet I suppose, though actually isn't Pegasus 10 item number 1160?

Pegasus 10 is actually quite an interesting item:

On Judges Guild - Product List , it is listed as item 1060.

On Magazine , it is listed as item 1160.

if you look very closely at the bottom of this pic:

[ Image ]

you will see that the code 1100 is printed on the item (which is the code for Caves & Caverns, so go take your pick :)

1160 would make sense, as this is after 9 and before 11, but i have noticed discrepancies in the numbering order a few times before, so i guess it IS possible to be another number.

Al

Item Code: 1160 (labeled 1100)
Title: Pegasus 10

Shall make it as above for the time being since yeah it would make sense, but then things like Dungeeoner 9, 10 are before 8, 9  :roll:

ShaneG.

Long-Winded Collector
Subweb Admin
JG Valuation Board

Post Posted: Sun May 29, 2005 11:47 am 

invincibleoverlord wrote:I don't know what makes up the #11 Special Starter Package, but at $20 twice the price of #9 City State Play Aid…I'd guess you would get twice as much stuff. I presume it could also be said of the #13 Deluxe Fantasy Package at $19.95? Anyone have these?

Thoughts…

#11: This package included the Dungeons & Dragons box set (3 Volumes) and Guildmember subscription. (a savings of $2 at the time  :) )
#13: Contains JG12, Dungeons & Dragons box set (3 Volumes) plus multi sided dice set (20-sided, 12-sided, 8-sided, 6-sided, 4-sided). (savings of $1.55 at the time)

Okay, who can build a time machine!   :lol:  :D

ShaneG.

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sun May 29, 2005 12:15 pm 

Killjoy wrote:would it have been possible maybe, that they were NOT in booklet form, but rather loose sheets? just a thought as i have a sheet (scanned earlier in the thread) that is I-6 and I-8....

I-6 and I-8 are both individual ready reference sheets from the original printing of the ready reference sheet pack (before they printed the second edition book with the purple cover).

This week I've been mostly eating . . . The white ones with the little red flecks in them.

Long-Winded Collector
Subweb Admin
JG Valuation Board

Post Posted: Sun May 29, 2005 12:45 pm 

2 cups of tea later....

#29 Six Character Checklists
What are these? They suppose to be Character Sheets? (as in sold with booklet L #25) They listed in the Modron book's booty list? (have to dig it out, so thought asking be easier  :D )

Any Treasure Vault (i.e. Booty List) list products past #940? Again I haven't checked all items past that number, but the ones I have do not list anything past 940.

Think thats it...for now!  :lol:  :wink:

ShaneG.

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Sun May 29, 2005 3:01 pm 

Plaag wrote:
What are these? They suppose to be Character Sheets?

ShaneG.

Shane, i scanned a character checklist earlier on in the thread with I-6 and I-8. Go have a look, thats what they look like.

Al

Are we nearly there yet?

Long-Winded Collector
Subweb Admin
JG Valuation Board

Post Posted: Sun May 29, 2005 3:25 pm 

killjoy32 wrote:
Plaag wrote:
What are these? They suppose to be Character Sheets?

ShaneG.

Shane, i scanned a character checklist earlier on in the thread with I-6 and I-8. Go have a look, thats what they look like.

Al

Ah cool thanks!

ShaneG.

PreviousNext