Judges Guild Questions
Post new topic Reply to topic Page 22 of 40123 ... 19, 20, 21, 22, 23 ... 383940
Author

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Thu Jan 19, 2006 7:51 am 

shane.

remember the discussion we were having about #66 sea steeds & wave riders?

go look at this one:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll? ... :B:SS:UK:1

now this is quite interesting. that wrapping dont look original so still doesnt establish my outstanding query with regards to the ship cutouts that you get as #69 and i have in the 2nd print #66 (all shrinked).

the 1st #66 i still think doesnt come with the ship cutouts, as if it did, what would be the point of releasing #69?

i aint buying that item above cos it aint worth it from here....but would be interesting if we could get info about it, whoever wins the item...

Al

Are we nearly there yet?

Long-Winded Collector
Subweb Admin
JG Valuation Board

Post Posted: Thu Jan 19, 2006 7:57 am 

killjoy32 wrote:shane.

remember the discussion we were having about #66 sea steeds & wave riders?

go look at this one:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll? ... :B:SS:UK:1

now this is quite interesting. that wrapping dont look original so still doesnt establish my outstanding query with regards to the ship cutouts that you get as #69 and i have in the 2nd print #66 (all shrinked).

the 1st #66 i still think doesnt come with the ship cutouts, as if it did, what would be the point of releasing #69?

i aint buying that item above cos it aint worth it from here....but would be interesting if we could get info about it, whoever wins the item...

Al

Before reading this I saw that auction and right away I asked what the seller meant by 'pouch' (is it shrinkwrapped or in some ziplock bag)..so yeah shall see what the response is.

ShaneG.

Long-Winded Collector

Post Posted: Tue Jan 24, 2006 4:31 pm 

Character Checklist time again, Shane! :D
Characters Checklist

quote from Judges Guild Questions • Page 17 • Judges Guild •  The Acaeum
harami2000 wrote:A. Thicker font at top (other minor font differences), "Copyright 1977"

Characters Checklist 1st

- found with

Orange Tegel 1., above.

Red Tegel 2., above. (what's that about #160, Al? Later mix-and-match copy??)

- found in

4th print Tegel book (neat observation! :)

B. Thinner font at top, "Copyrighted by Judges Guild 1977" (format as used in previous installments from "I" onwards :?)

Page Not Found

- found with

Orange Tegel 3., above.

- may have been found with

Red Tegel?? (the ref. sheet copy I have but someone else won the Tegel: thought it was a red copy. That owner with those 1st print Tac cards, yellow I6-8s, etc.)

- found in

Purple JG #14 (just to confuse matters!)

killjoy32 wrote:so does that help fit your characters checklist in?

hmm... Not really.... Stuck at 65-35 phps. Still contradictory evidence, IMO, albeit some is secondary. What d'ya think, Shane?

Would be useful to check those other three or four, if poss.

OK. I'm back to 70-30, now.

In addition to Judges Guild Questions • Page 19 • Judges Guild •  The Acaeum ;
Plaag wrote:Red Tegel on this auction also had the cover sheet with no list on the back (=earliest)
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... 8735470210
And it had a "thin font" CC, too! "All as originally sold" in the UK.

Oh, and am I dreaming, or does that Red Tegel have a different cover paper stock to the other (installment) Red Tegel? Seems more highly textured(??), but will have to find my other (jonb... *cough*) copy to compare.

, I now also have a Red Tegel in a JG mailer, postmarked 9th May 1977 with "type B" (currently listed as "2nd").

IMHO it's still stacking up as though "B" was supplied with the first Red Tegel - and I say presumably in the current case, since I can't be sure... The mailer was open and therefore it might've been supplied earlier (unlikely, though???).

Plaag wrote:#14 1977, but is it April/May after all RR sheets released thru L and after Judges Shield, but before Installment M June/July 1977 or soem other date?

That is still a good question.... :(

Al's #14 was "A", wasn't it?

Any reason why they couldn't then have taken that flavor and run with that in later Tegels? (albeit orange Tegels have been found with both "A" and "B", no?
The format of the copyright message in "B" does tally with the earlier style for 1976.

Eh... now I need reminding where the "3rd" comes into things... *looks*

=
p.s. Can we add known mailer dates for installments to the list of research topics?

Long-Winded Collector
Subweb Admin
JG Valuation Board

Post Posted: Tue Jan 24, 2006 5:12 pm 

faro wrote:Character Checklist time again, Shane! :D
Characters Checklist

OK. I'm back to 70-30, now.

In addition to Judges Guild Questions • Page 19 • Judges Guild •  The Acaeum ;
Plaag wrote:Red Tegel on this auction also had the cover sheet with no list on the back (=earliest)
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... 8735470210
And it had a "thin font" CC, too! "All as originally sold" in the UK.

Oh, and am I dreaming, or does that Red Tegel have a different cover paper stock to the other (installment) Red Tegel? Seems more highly textured(??), but will have to find my other (jonb... *cough*) copy to compare.

, I now also have a Red Tegel in a JG mailer, postmarked 9th May 1977 with "type B" (currently listed as "2nd").

Wondering when you'd get that..was it this one that came in the mailer..or another copy? Also can you send over a scan of the mailer (Installment L then can be checked off the list of scans)

faro wrote:IMHO it's still stacking up as though "B" was supplied with the first Red Tegel - and I say presumably in the current case, since I can't be sure... The mailer was open and therefore it might've been supplied earlier (unlikely, though???).

Plaag wrote:#14 1977, but is it April/May after all RR sheets released thru L and after Judges Shield, but before Installment M June/July 1977 or soem other date?

That is still a good question.... :(

Al's #14 was "A", wasn't it?

Any reason why they couldn't then have taken that flavor and run with that in later Tegels? (albeit orange Tegels have been found with both "A" and "B", no?
The format of the copyright message in "B" does tally with the earlier style for 1976.

Eh... now I need reminding where the "3rd" comes into things... *looks*

=
p.s. Can we add known mailer dates for installments to the list of research topics?

3rd CC came with 5th printing Tegel Tegel Manor Playing Aid (6th print has the same double sided, but attached and white one side, blue/purplish other)

Mailer dates is a good idea, if they got mailed..me and Al have mailers/envelopes that never were mailed (and need to check my catalogs, but doesn't look like they were post marked either). So yeah for those that have them, not to hard to add.

ShaneG.

Long-Winded Collector
Subweb Admin
JG Valuation Board

Post Posted: Tue Jan 24, 2006 5:18 pm 

faro wrote:I now also have a Red Tegel in a JG mailer, postmarked 9th May 1977 with "type B" (currently listed as "2nd").

IMHO it's still stacking up as though "B" was supplied with the first Red Tegel - and I say presumably in the current case, since I can't be sure... The mailer was open and therefore it might've been supplied earlier (unlikely, though???).

Oh almost forgot..What exactly was in that mailer..
24-page booklet L (of course)
4-page periodical Journal L :?:
17" x 22" map Judges :?:
11" x 17" map Player :?:
Character Checklist (of course)
Wizards Guide :?:
?Cover Sheet :?:  (this wasn't listed in Journal L so am wondering)

ShaneG.

Long-Winded Collector

Post Posted: Tue Jan 24, 2006 6:12 pm 

Plaag wrote:Wondering when you'd get that..was it this one that came in the mailer..or another copy? Also can you send over a scan of the mailer (Installment L then can be checked off the list of scans)

You want a scan of a brown envelope? Are you sure about that? :D

The UK sale with the red Tegel and type "B" CC was presumably post-installement (cover sheet, no journal, no mailer = 2nd printing on Tegel Manor Playing Aid ) ; http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... 8735470210 .
No evidence that anything was added or taken away.
I'm still owe you a cover sheet scan for that one, but I've lost it again, temporarily! :roll:
(My comment on the texture of paper stock used for the Red Tegel covers is also still unresolved, in that case).

The one I just picked up (1st printing) with the postmarked/sent 9th May 77 mailer was from that MIT cache with the Tac Cards and other stuff.
Unfortunately there are only two mailers (I think) in that lot, despite going back to I and forwards to P (Journal, anyhow). Sub wasn't started any later than J as I have an interesting "thank you for ordering" sheet for that (and another copy somewhere... *looks*), as well as those 1st Tac Cards.

=
Plaag wrote:3rd CC came with 5th printing Tegel Tegel Manor Playing Aid (6th print has the same double sided, but attached and white one side, blue/purplish other)

Eh... thanks for the reminder. I could've done with a reverse link from Characters Checklist !

Mailers; L, 9th May 1977 (as above); M, 29th June 1977 (heh. handwritten addy, they must've run out of labels for their typewriter).

Plaag wrote:Oh almost forgot..What exactly was in that mailer..
4-page periodical Journal L
17" x 22" map Judges
11" x 17" map Player
Wizards Guide
?Cover Sheet (this wasn't listed in Journal L so am wondering)

Sorry, mix-and-match... only the CC was left in apparent context, thus my use of "presumably", above. Definitely no #14 to throw a spanner in the works, anyhow :)

Looking through the rest of the batch, though, definitely no Tegel cover sheet which also tallies with that Installment Red Tegel I picked up from Keith (from whom you picked up those 1st Tac Cards) (1st printing Red, also with "B" type CC).

Interestingly, there are two copies of the Wizards Guide sheet...
Impossible to tell whether that was one with K, one with L, or just two sent at once, in error.

Long-Winded Collector
Subweb Admin
JG Valuation Board

Post Posted: Tue Jan 24, 2006 7:09 pm 

faro wrote:
Plaag wrote:Wondering when you'd get that..was it this one that came in the mailer..or another copy? Also can you send over a scan of the mailer (Installment L then can be checked off the list of scans)

You want a scan of a brown envelope? Are you sure about that? :D

If its anything like Installment Q then damn straight..both mailers..since it seems they changed those for the same item even... as found here: Dungeoneer 17

faro wrote:The UK sale with the red Tegel and type "B" CC was presumably post-installement (cover sheet, no journal, no mailer = 2nd printing on Tegel Manor Playing Aid ) ; http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... 8735470210 .
No evidence that anything was added or taken away.
I'm still owe you a cover sheet scan for that one, but I've lost it again, temporarily! :roll:
(My comment on the texture of paper stock used for the Red Tegel covers is also still unresolved, in that case).

The one I just picked up (1st printing) with the postmarked/sent 9th May 77 mailer was from that MIT cache with the Tac Cards and other stuff.
Unfortunately there are only two mailers (I think) in that lot, despite going back to I and forwards to P (Journal, anyhow). Sub wasn't started any later than J as I have an interesting "thank you for ordering" sheet for that (and another copy somewhere... *looks*), as well as those 1st Tac Cards.

=
Plaag wrote:3rd CC came with 5th printing Tegel Tegel Manor Playing Aid (6th print has the same double sided, but attached and white one side, blue/purplish other)

Eh... thanks for the reminder. I could've done with a reverse link from Characters Checklist !

Mailers; L, 9th May 1977 (as above); M, 29th June 1977 (heh. handwritten addy, they must've run out of labels for their typewriter).

Plaag wrote:Oh almost forgot..What exactly was in that mailer..
4-page periodical Journal L
17" x 22" map Judges
11" x 17" map Player
Wizards Guide
?Cover Sheet (this wasn't listed in Journal L so am wondering)

Sorry, mix-and-match... only the CC was left in apparent context, thus my use of "presumably", above. Definitely no #14 to throw a spanner in the works, anyhow :)

Looking through the rest of the batch, though, definitely no Tegel cover sheet which also tallies with that Installment Red Tegel I picked up from Keith (from whom you picked up those 1st Tac Cards) (1st printing Red, also with "B" type CC).

Interestingly, there are two copies of the Wizards Guide sheet...
Impossible to tell whether that was one with K, one with L, or just two sent at once, in error.

Interesting on the Wizards Guide sheets, if you could find out from seller how they got it, would be good to know.
Concerning texture on the Red Tegel, not having another Red to compare to, I do believe it maybe different then the orange Tegel, I'd have to get out my copies and check though.

ShaneG.

Long-Winded Collector

Post Posted: Tue Jan 24, 2006 7:28 pm 

Plaag wrote:
faro wrote:You want a scan of a brown envelope? Are you sure about that? :D

If its anything like Installment Q then damn straight..both mailers..since it seems they changed those for the same item even... as found here: Dungeoneer 17

Earlier version of the 57 variety.
You really need Mike/IO. Was that other run of installments "on the cheap" with or without mailers? (You know who I mean, but can't remember their name).

I certainly wouldn't choose to flag rarity on the basis of "complete including envelope", since that way almost all 1st Tegels will end up being incomplete whereas 2nds are "easy".
JMO, anyhow.

Plaag wrote:Interesting on the Wizards Guide sheets, if you could find out from seller how they got it, would be good to know.
Concerning texture on the Red Tegel, not having another Red to compare to, I do believe it maybe different then the orange Tegel, I'd have to get out my copies and check though.

Eh... OK will check, but I doubt they'll remember when they started subscribing.
Texture comment was Red Tegel (1st) vs. Red Tegel (2nd). Just a "file back-mind" for now, anyhow, since it might just've been the impression I got from that recent 2nd print copy.

Long-Winded Collector
Subweb Admin
JG Valuation Board

Post Posted: Tue Jan 24, 2006 7:39 pm 

faro wrote:
Plaag wrote:

Earlier version of the 57 variety.
You really need Mike/IO. Was that other run of installments "on the cheap" with or without mailers? (You know who I mean, but can't remember their name).

I certainly wouldn't choose to flag rarity on the basis of "complete including envelope", since that way almost all 1st Tegels will end up being incomplete whereas 2nds are "easy".
JMO, anyhow.

Plaag wrote:Interesting on the Wizards Guide sheets, if you could find out from seller how they got it, would be good to know.

Eh... OK will check, but I doubt they'll remember when they started subscribing.
Texture comment was Red Tegel (1st) vs. Red Tegel (2nd). Just a "file back-mind" for now, anyhow, since it might just've been the impression I got from that recent 2nd print copy.

Then yeah, I want scans of the mailers.
And no those installments "on the cheap" were without mailers.
Mind set on the envelopes/mailers for me would be like SW, item is complete just maybe a little added value if with mailer.

ShaneG.

Long-Winded Collector

Post Posted: Tue Jan 24, 2006 8:07 pm 

Plaag wrote:Then yeah, I want scans of the mailers.
And no those installments "on the cheap" were without mailers.

So, it's Mike/IO, then.... Hrrrm....

Plaag wrote:Mind set on the envelopes/mailers for me would be like SW, item is complete just maybe a little added value if with mailer.

Maybe a "little", but can be easily swapped around- especially those without postmarks!
Would've thought those were of less "value" (percentage-wise) than the likes of, say, an early OD&D correction sheet (hardly noted in RL auctions).

Long-Winded Collector
Subweb Admin
JG Valuation Board

Post Posted: Fri Jan 27, 2006 3:55 pm 

Plaag wrote:
killjoy32 wrote:hey guys, what do you make of this one:

Green Skull Bag: Women's Handbags | eBay

i saw this one at lunchtime (about 4 hrs ago)

i assume its shane who has asked the question?

could it actually be pre-JG? dont look pre-JG to me :)

Al

Yeah it was me..

The cover is easily doctored..he should have never had a supersized photo. I compared it with my copy, he clearly has taken boxes from the border/other areas on the cover and imposed them over the item number and some text. (Not to good a job seeing as he's squared some areas that are not). Also if he was smart :wink: he would have not put the last page up on the auction as its picture is (c) 1979 when clearly GenCon X was 1977 :lol:

It is however a 2nd Printing (1979): A barbarian in town square cover and missing maps as stated in Journal W. (Or 1st printing released by Judges Guild) so I know soem here may need that printing.

I've asked for a photo of the first page..shall see what I get. (and see how web savy this guy is).

ShaneG.

Follow up regarding that item mentioned above.
Seems the cover was not doctored, but rather an incomplete module. The 3rd print of Skulls of Scrapfaggot Green has the cover of the 2nd print without price/item number/etc as page 3 (as the auction used to show it). The product list is on the inside of the last page (so that auction above was missing the outer most pages)

ShaneG.

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sat Jan 28, 2006 10:00 pm 

Here is a question for all of you JGers. I thought that the JG Science fiction packs were supposed to be wicked hard to find? Titan :roll: has like 5 of them listed in his store right now:

SF Packs

Am I wrong remembering this(I would not be very surprised if I was)?

"He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you." -Neitzche

Long-Winded Collector
Subweb Admin
JG Valuation Board

Post Posted: Sat Jan 28, 2006 10:46 pm 

Its the Fantasy packs that are hard to find, the Science Fiction ones are still very common.

ShaneG.

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sat Jan 28, 2006 10:50 pm 

Plaag wrote:Its the Fantasy packs that are hard to find, the Science Fiction ones are still very common.

ShaneG.

Thanks Shane, I could have swore I saw somone write something about them being rare for some reason. I must be losing my feckin mind. :? RPG overload....

"He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you." -Neitzche

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Sun Jan 29, 2006 2:16 pm 

bclarkie wrote:
Plaag wrote:Its the Fantasy packs that are hard to find, the Science Fiction ones are still very common.

ShaneG.

Thanks Shane, I could have swore I saw somone write something about them being rare for some reason. I must be losing my feckin mind. :? RPG overload....

Bri - the sci-fi packs were has a very limited print run. thats prb what you read. they are rare from that perspective, but thats all. i have a shit load of them here so they are certainly not that rare :)

Al

Are we nearly there yet?

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sun Jan 29, 2006 2:28 pm 

killjoy32 wrote:
bclarkie wrote:

Bri - the sci-fi packs were has a very limited print run. thats prb what you read. they are rare from that perspective, but thats all. i have a shit load of them here so they are certainly not that rare :)

Al

Maybe thats what it was, as a matter of fact, that is most likely what it was. :)

Long-Winded Collector
Subweb Admin
JG Valuation Board

Post Posted: Sun Jan 29, 2006 2:31 pm 

The Journal pack would be the most desirable I believe..having the Fantasy packs would be cool, but they are just later printings bundled together, while the journal pack has all the valuable journals.

ShaneG.

Sage Collector
Valuation Board

Post Posted: Sun Jan 29, 2006 4:49 pm 

Plaag wrote:The Journal pack would be the most desirable I believe..having the Fantasy packs would be cool, but they are just later printings bundled together, while the journal pack has all the valuable journals.

ShaneG.

I know I've got the "1055 Judges Guild Journal Value Pack" in SW somewhere.  Need a scan?

PreviousNext
Post new topic Reply to topic Page 22 of 40123 ... 19, 20, 21, 22, 23 ... 383940