Judges Guild Questions
Post new topic Reply to topic Page 15 of 40123 ... 12, 13, 14, 15, 16 ... 383940
Author

User avatar

Grandstanding Collector

Posts: 8219
Joined: Jan 21, 2005
Last Visit: Jun 12, 2017
Location: Wallasey, Merseyside, UK

Post Posted: Tue Sep 27, 2005 4:58 pm 
 

Plaag wrote:The one with the booty list going up to 93 is the 2nd print (currently mind you..maybe a 1978 one out there), which I have. I need a scan for the cover of the 1st print.



ShaneG.




ummm shane?



currently?



it says in it "SECOND PRINT" so um doesnt that make it kinda clear? :D



  


Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Posts: 6463
Joined: Dec 13, 2004
Last Visit: Apr 04, 2021

Post Posted: Tue Sep 27, 2005 5:16 pm 
 

killjoy32 wrote:
Plaag wrote:The one with the booty list going up to 93 is the 2nd print (currently mind you..maybe a 1978 one out there), which I have. I need a scan for the cover of the 1st print.



ShaneG.




ummm shane?



currently?



it says in it "SECOND PRINT" so um doesnt that make it kinda clear? :D




Now there is some dry sarcastic humor for ya. :lol:



*<runs to the bathroom to avoid peeing myself from laughing>*


"He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you." -Neitzche

  

User avatar

Grandstanding Collector

Posts: 8219
Joined: Jan 21, 2005
Last Visit: Jun 12, 2017
Location: Wallasey, Merseyside, UK

Post Posted: Tue Sep 27, 2005 6:36 pm 
 

bclarkie wrote:
Now there is some dry sarcastic humor for ya. :lol:



*<runs to the bathroom to avoid peeing myself from laughing>*




:D  :D  :D  :D  :D  :D



  

User avatar

Long-Winded Collector
Subweb Admin
JG Valuation Board

Posts: 4505
Joined: Nov 08, 2002
Last Visit: Nov 28, 2021
Location: Land of 10,000 ponds

Post Posted: Fri Oct 14, 2005 8:55 pm 
 

New question time....for some :D for others :roll: and once probably known a little :o

There are no 2nd printins/revised/updated, etc products from #420 on

Now 400, 380, 360, 330, 320, 310, 220, 210, 190, 170, 116, 89, 69, 36 also do not have 2nd printings, etc.. yet :)
I've not included magazines of course or maps. So the question part is does anyone have various versions of those numbered above :?:

My thought on this: Those numbered consist of RuneQuest, Tunnels and Trolls, or SciFi being a reason. Also #69 Flotilla One only has one due to the 1st print of #66 Sea Steeds and Wave Riders not having the sheets. Course Book of Treasure Maps II, Inferno, Treasure Vaults of Lindoran and Hellpits of Nightfang are the odd products from that list. Of them why not have a 2nd printing since most everything else did....

ShaneG.

 WWW  

User avatar

Grandstanding Collector

Posts: 8219
Joined: Jan 21, 2005
Last Visit: Jun 12, 2017
Location: Wallasey, Merseyside, UK

Post Posted: Sat Oct 15, 2005 5:20 am 
 

the only thing on that list i might question shane, is treasure maps II.

that "might" have had a 1st and 2nd print. i have had one as a book and then others as a book, with a colour insert on front (just a sheet enclosed with the book)...as i had them at diff times, i cant recall whether the details inside were the same or not, so the jury might still be out on that one, but everything else on the list i will most definately go along with.

my thoughts were that as these things were hammering out of the printers, they were releasing more products than ever and so maybe they were in greater quantities, and were all released over a shorter time too.

remember the older ones, were from appx 1976 to appx 1979/80, then the rest in a slightly shorter time. they were more popular and with bigger print runs, no need to do further prints. it wasnt so much longer than they ceased to be anyway, with massive print stocks remaining (which we all know about), so it would kinda make sense to me really.

i am still adamant that 1st print #66 has no boat maps, then #69 was released, then the reprint #66 was released with the boat maps (i have some of them shrinked, as well as #69, but my #66 1sts are not)

Al



  

User avatar

Grandstanding Collector

Posts: 8219
Joined: Jan 21, 2005
Last Visit: Jun 12, 2017
Location: Wallasey, Merseyside, UK

Post Posted: Sat Oct 15, 2005 5:23 am 
 

just a further note, for #36 #69 #116 etc...

maybe no further prints were done because they didnt sell too well at the time. #69 clearly cos it was just an addition to #66, so when they reprinted #66, they didnt need #69 anymore.

never had #36 so i cant say, but would like to get my hands on one of them so i can see what they are about, but thats my thought. i cant remember seeing one on ebay, so they must be pretty damn scarce.

Al



  

User avatar

Grandstanding Collector

Posts: 8219
Joined: Jan 21, 2005
Last Visit: Jun 12, 2017
Location: Wallasey, Merseyside, UK

Post Posted: Mon Oct 24, 2005 5:33 pm 
 

shane

with regards to them JG items we were talking about...i was having a think about them.

i reckon what they did you know, is use some of the first print books, print up a nice colour front sheet with a new booty list on it and re-release it as a 2nd print....thats all i think they did you know.

quite a few items they could have done that with - some they defo didnt mind, but with some i think thats certainly the case.

what do you reckon?

Al



  

User avatar

Long-Winded Collector
Subweb Admin
JG Valuation Board

Posts: 4505
Joined: Nov 08, 2002
Last Visit: Nov 28, 2021
Location: Land of 10,000 ponds

Post Posted: Mon Oct 24, 2005 7:20 pm 
 

killjoy32 wrote:shane

with regards to them JG items we were talking about...i was having a think about them.

i reckon what they did you know, is use some of the first print books, print up a nice colour front sheet with a new booty list on it and re-release it as a 2nd print....thats all i think they did you know.

quite a few items they could have done that with - some they defo didnt mind, but with some i think thats certainly the case.

what do you reckon?

Al


In most cases the book has the higher booty list then does the cover sheet. Tommorrow I'm going to be bagging/sorting everything so that it will be easier to access then having to 'dig out' once and for all. I'm going to check on those things to see if I have the books without covers or actually different printings of books with the same covers (minus color cover inserts)
I do know the Castle Book II you sent me is potentially a '1st' (cover sheet /book come before the color cover '2nd print'. Plus you can see where the graphics got screwy on the 1st print and what appears to be a quick change (Cover has list to 350 [Aug/Sept 80], Book has list to 430 [Dec80]..then 2nd print has list to 460 [Apr/May 81] )
I just need to find out when Castle Book II first showed up in catalogs and lists (not as 'coming soon')
The oddest of the lot however is Village Book II (cover sheet has pegasus logo, Dungeons & Dragons and list to 190 [Apr/May 80] and the book with sphinx logo, Universal fantasy and list to 750 [Aug/Sept 81])
Catalogs have pictures so been looking into that (seeing if books are shown or the cover sheet), but really it's something that will take research...um Tommorrow

ShaneG.

 WWW  

User avatar

Grandstanding Collector

Posts: 8219
Joined: Jan 21, 2005
Last Visit: Jun 12, 2017
Location: Wallasey, Merseyside, UK

Post Posted: Mon Oct 24, 2005 7:45 pm 
 

heheheh well at least it gives you something to do :)



  

User avatar

Long-Winded Collector
Subweb Admin
JG Valuation Board

Posts: 4505
Joined: Nov 08, 2002
Last Visit: Nov 28, 2021
Location: Land of 10,000 ponds

Post Posted: Sat Oct 29, 2005 4:22 am 
 

Well I got it sorted..Villages Book II: Fall Catalog 1980 confirms color cover sheet as 2nd, Fall Catalog 1981 confirms just the book as 3rd.
Here is the auction for the 3rd:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... 8715102846

I'm glad for this auction because my 3rd still has its shrinkwrap (but open :? because I have to verify these types of things) I just find it odd that JG would sit on these cover sheets and not put them with this book till later.
Course there maybe a true 2nd out there with this cover sheet, it doesn't discredit that this sheet is combined with what I'm dubbing the 2nd&3rd print book.

ShaneG.

 WWW  

User avatar

Grandstanding Collector

Posts: 8219
Joined: Jan 21, 2005
Last Visit: Jun 12, 2017
Location: Wallasey, Merseyside, UK

Post Posted: Sat Oct 29, 2005 6:06 am 
 

shane when i get a minute i will go and have a dig and see what village books i have - i have things lying all over the place in the back room so prb got something there that will answer your question IF i have the time to find something amongst 50+ boxes :D



  

User avatar

Grandstanding Collector

Posts: 8219
Joined: Jan 21, 2005
Last Visit: Jun 12, 2017
Location: Wallasey, Merseyside, UK

Post Posted: Tue Nov 01, 2005 6:10 am 
 

Plaag wrote:Tegel
2nd Printing: (1977) This has a lighter orange cover and the copyright font is smaller and resembles Times/Times New Roman. Includes the flysheet with a cover price, 17" x 22" judges map, 11" x 17" players map and a Character Checklist. This is a rerun of the first printing and was sold as a stand alone product in a sealed transparent bag. (4 printings with minor variations such as coloring, etc)
ShaneG.


well the flysheet....i certainly have two variations of that.

one has a treasure vault on the back and one doesnt....

i need to go back over all the tegels i have, cos most of them are all different in slightly diff ways.

will add to this a little later.

Al



  

User avatar

Grandstanding Collector

Posts: 8219
Joined: Jan 21, 2005
Last Visit: Jun 12, 2017
Location: Wallasey, Merseyside, UK

Post Posted: Tue Nov 01, 2005 6:03 pm 
 

right Tegel Manor.

the instalment to subscribers definately did NOT have a cover sheet. i have 2 dark tegels with ende in, 2 lighter tegels. 2 cover sheets. 1 has a treasure vault on the back and 1 doesnt.

i think its:

1st - dark tegel with maps
2nd - light tegel with maps/poss cover sheet with no treasure vault/poss character checklist
3rd - light tegel with maps/cover sheet with treasure vault
4th - A4 tegel with the blue cover & maps etc

that must be going in the right direction imo.

right here is the scan of the back of the cover sheet with the treasure vault:

Image



  

User avatar

Grandstanding Collector

Posts: 8219
Joined: Jan 21, 2005
Last Visit: Jun 12, 2017
Location: Wallasey, Merseyside, UK

Post Posted: Tue Nov 01, 2005 7:58 pm 
 

harami2000 wrote:Oh, I thought you were going to be in this year's dune-jumping marathon, not next year's... Seriously huge effort, that. Good luck! :D


*off topic*

i couldnt get in this years one - which was a good thing, so i got into next years (much better) - so will keep at it - tho its hard atm. just leaves me with no time to do anything. trying to get a load of wargame books sorted. i was reading a few earlier - amazing material.

*ponders asking terry if he will sell me all his 1st modron books* :)



  


Sage Collector

Posts: 2639
Joined: Jan 23, 2003
Last Visit: Jan 11, 2006

Post Posted: Tue Nov 01, 2005 8:13 pm 
 

killjoy32 wrote:
harami2000 wrote:Oh, I thought you were going to be in this year's dune-jumping marathon, not next year's... Seriously huge effort, that. Good luck! :D


*off topic*

i couldnt get in this years one - which was a good thing, so i got into next years (much better) - so will keep at it - tho its hard atm.

Hate to think how long your "long run" is, already. And that's without the dune training, I presume! :P

killjoy32 wrote:just leaves me with no time to do anything. trying to get a load of wargame books sorted. i was reading a few earlier - amazing material.

"Starting to read through" books ain't exactly conducive to selling 'em... or getting anything else done for that matter. As I'm sure you've been told! :roll:
Is all good stuff, though, I'm sure.

killjoy32 wrote:*ponders asking terry if he will sell me all his 1st modron books* :)

You know how scarce those were, before his stash turned up!
Note that his other copies might not be in "mint" condition, in case you're tempted. The one I picked up from him had serious staple rust and a damp/rust-colored stain at the lower-left. (Was one reason I couldn't say that any color difference shown by my scanner was indicative of a real difference in paper stock-- well, certainly nothing to the degree of obviousness of the "red" vs. "orange" Tegels, anyhow).

  

User avatar

Grandstanding Collector

Posts: 8219
Joined: Jan 21, 2005
Last Visit: Jun 12, 2017
Location: Wallasey, Merseyside, UK

Post Posted: Tue Nov 01, 2005 8:15 pm 
 

shane

another point re the tegel manor.

i have just dug em all out again, and i missed my shrinked one!

just looked at that one and its the same colour as the one that doesnt have ENDE on it (2nd print). in the shrink is a character checklist, BUT where it says "CHARACTERS CHECKLIST", the font is different too.

carefully nudging the shrink around (i am NOT opening it)....there is one character checklist sheet, 1 big map, 1 small map and the back of the cover sheet does NOT have a treasure vault on it, so its gonna make the one with a treasure vault, the 3rd print isnt it?

the blue cover tegel manor, is (c) 1980, so this will be the 4th print, making the orange tegel with treasure vault cover sheet appx 1979

at the back of the blue cover, the treasure vault D&D section goes up to 420 the unknown gods

that help make anything clearer?

Al



  

User avatar

Grandstanding Collector

Posts: 8219
Joined: Jan 21, 2005
Last Visit: Jun 12, 2017
Location: Wallasey, Merseyside, UK

Post Posted: Tue Nov 01, 2005 8:23 pm 
 

harami2000 wrote:"Starting to read through" books ain't exactly conducive to selling 'em... or getting anything else done for that matter. As I'm sure you've been told! :roll:
Is all good stuff, though, I'm sure


yeah yeah yea i know :) might keep one or two but will be selling them all when i have finished researching some more

harami2000 wrote:You know how scarce those were, before his stash turned up!
Note that his other copies might not be in "mint" condition, in case you're tempted. The one I picked up from him had serious staple rust and a damp/rust-colored stain at the lower-left. (Was one reason I couldn't say that any color difference shown by my scanner was indicative of a real difference in paper stock-- well, certainly nothing to the degree of obviousness of the "red" vs. "orange" Tegels, anyhow).


yeah i know of their condition. when i was originally talking to him about them, he mentioned their condition and that they were not excellent or mint. if they were, then i would have bought most of them off him there and then. wouldnt mind a lil stash tho, and get hold of the maps too. would make some nice sets.

but then i think i have enough stuff really :)

Al



  

User avatar

Long-Winded Collector
Subweb Admin
JG Valuation Board

Posts: 4505
Joined: Nov 08, 2002
Last Visit: Nov 28, 2021
Location: Land of 10,000 ponds

Post Posted: Tue Nov 01, 2005 8:42 pm 
 

killjoy32 wrote:shane

another point re the tegel manor.

i have just dug em all out again, and i missed my shrinked one!

just looked at that one and its the same colour as the one that doesnt have ENDE on it (2nd print). in the shrink is a character checklist, BUT where it says "CHARACTERS CHECKLIST", the font is different too.

carefully nudging the shrink around (i am NOT opening it)....there is one character checklist sheet, 1 big map, 1 small map and the back of the cover sheet does NOT have a treasure vault on it, so its gonna make the one with a treasure vault, the 3rd print isnt it?

the blue cover tegel manor, is (c) 1980, so this will be the 4th print, making the orange tegel with treasure vault cover sheet appx 1979

at the back of the blue cover, the treasure vault D&D section goes up to 420 the unknown gods

that help make anything clearer?

Al


1st Printing: (1977)  This has the darker orange Guidelines Booklet L, lacks the title sheet with price, and lacks a  Characters Checklist. The first edition, first print, was shipped with Journal L to subscribers.

2nd Printing: (1977) This has the lighter orange Guidelines Booklet L, includes the flysheet with a cover price, and a Character Checklist. This is a rerun of the first printing and was sold as a stand alone product in a sealed transparent bag. (4 printings with minor variations such as coloring, etc) (No list on cover sheet)

3rd Printing: (1980) This has the lighter orange Guidelines Booklet L, includes the flysheet with a cover price (List 160), and a Character Checklist.

4th Printing: (1980) The format has changed to a standard and slightly larger book, with a color cover and the players 11"x17" map is now in color found in the center of the book. (list 420) (I'd like a copy of the list as its the first instance of a list going to 420)

Would make something like this (2nd should be 1977 going on copyrights on booklet, coversheet)

ShaneG.

 WWW  
PreviousNext
Post new topic Reply to topic Page 15 of 40123 ... 12, 13, 14, 15, 16 ... 383940