Judges Guild Questions
Post new topic Reply to topic Page 14 of 40123 ... 11, 12, 13, 14, 15 ... 383940
Author

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Tue Sep 06, 2005 11:49 pm 

A Question about JG #80, Of Skulls and Scrapfaggot Green:

I just got a copy of this item from Reindeergamez.

Afterglow lists two possible first editions...one with a black and white drawing of a barbarian, standing in a village square, and the other with four standing figures in black and white.

The issue I just got from Reindeergamez has BOTH.

The outside cover shows the four standing figures.

This is stapled OVER a second cover, showing the barbarian.  This second cover cites Bob Blake and Gen Con X, but does not have a title page (blank on the back side of that page...although it has page 50 printed on the same leaf).  The outer cover has a page numbered 51 on the inside of the back cover.

The Booty list (page 51) has a booty list with #97 Journal 15 (X) as the last item.

Title page inside of front cover says 1979.

What is this?  Could it be a "pre-Judges Guild" publication bound into the added JG cover?

"But I have watched the dragons come, fire-eyed, across the world."

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Wed Sep 07, 2005 2:27 am 

Oh, and the same order from Reindeergamez also included what I am pretty sure is a first print Caverns of Thracia.

The price is in the lower left-hand corner ($6.50) rather than on the left center of the page.

The Booty List is actually called the "Treasure List," and it goes up to #119 Tower of Ulission.

It is in really good condition.

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Wed Sep 07, 2005 2:27 am 

MShipley88 wrote:
  What is this? Could it be a "pre-Judges Guild" publication bound into the added JG cover?

hey chummer, check here too:

JG0080-Of Skulls and Scrapfaggot Green

i have had something similar to you before but i didnt keep hold of it cos the book was pretty mullered and i didnt want it cos of that. but i cant remember what the picture was on the cover - mine was like the 2nd print in that link above.

other than that one, i have only had 5th prints, so cant really help you there sorry.....

fwiw, if its in excellent condition, its worth keeping anyway, cos its not often the older prints of #80 pop up.

Al

Are we nearly there yet?

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Wed Sep 07, 2005 2:37 am 

What is the home page for this link?  I cannot get it to take me to any other JG products.

Create a Website | Tripod Web Hosting faggotgreen.html

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Wed Sep 07, 2005 5:15 am 

ya know, you copy a shortcut and it inserts a space for you!

stoopid IE

here we go again:

JG0080-Of Skulls and Scrapfaggot Green

Al

<edit> see it puts a space there, when there isnt one when i edit! there is no space between the scrap and faggot.

<edit2> when i click on the above link, it takes me to the page...

<edit3> if you STILL cant access the page, go look from here:

Judges Guild Codex...Every item produced in the 70's-80's

Are we nearly there yet?

Long-Winded Collector
Subweb Admin
JG Valuation Board

Post Posted: Wed Sep 07, 2005 4:19 pm 

1st printing: (1977) Pre Judges Guild printing

2nd printing: (1979 Apr-May) 48 pages with a barbarian in town square cover. This book does not have the majority of its maps as stated in Journal W.

3rd printing, 2nd Edition: (1979 June-July) 52 pages showing four standing adventurers. Cover is black and white.

4th printing, 2nd Edition: (19??) Color cover insert showing three adventurers. Black and White cover has four standing adventurers plus the barbarian on page three.

5th printing, 2nd Edition: (19??) Three adventurers on b&w cover and the four adventurers on page three.

6th printing, 3rd Edition: (19??)?

Man this is just one of those that is a chore to clean up.

So a scan would be nice of the cover..anyway as you see above the 1st is before JG which I have a scan of, and the 2nd is as stated (I have that copy).

MShipley88 you would have the one after mine (3rd) though you have the barbarian on page 3 I take it (they count the cover as page one..so if it is as you state 'second cover' then thats page 3)

I think the 4th has the color cover insert with 3 adventurers, b/w book cover wih the same and 4 adventurers on page 3 (meaning no 5th or 6th, and the last sentence of the 4th is for the 3rd..it was just another's assumption going only on covers I believe)

I need one with a '4th' then to tell me (c) and highest # in booty list..

ShaneG.

Long-Winded Collector
Subweb Admin
JG Valuation Board

Post Posted: Wed Sep 07, 2005 4:21 pm 

MShipley88 wrote:Oh, and the same order from Reindeergamez also included what I am pretty sure is a first print Caverns of Thracia.

The price is in the lower left-hand corner ($6.50) rather than on the left center of the page.

The Booty List is actually called the "Treasure List," and it goes up to #119 Tower of Ulission.

It is in really good condition.

Indeed a first (I need a scan :) )

See previous page for my #80 reply

ShaneG.

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Wed Sep 07, 2005 11:24 pm 

I have assigned my son to learn how to use the scanner we bought.

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Thu Sep 22, 2005 4:56 am 

Shane.

just as a thought, are you going to set up a rarity scale for JG items, similar to what Acaeum has already for the TSR rares? i think it would be a great idea personally.

was just thinking on that JG 80 - skulls that MS was mentioning on the other thread and reckon that the pre-JG tourney mod has GOT to be a 5 without doubt. have seen a few JG 1st's but never a pre-yet.

what do y'all think?

Al

Are we nearly there yet?

Long-Winded Collector
Subweb Admin
JG Valuation Board

Post Posted: Thu Sep 22, 2005 4:19 pm 

Didn't plan on it, but its a good idea for the site at some point. So when I get around to adding it I'll have to ask what people think are the rares for JG.

ShaneG.

Long-Winded Collector
Subweb Admin
JG Valuation Board

Post Posted: Thu Sep 22, 2005 4:38 pm 

So I got my Tac cards (78 of them) and from what I found looking through them is I have 28 different cards. So if 5 of each then it would make 140. Now this lot did not have the title card or the white paper card which talks about Tac Cards and on reverse what also has come out for JG (course I got those from another lot mixed in). Were these not included in the card total I presume?

Also with what my white card states (CSIO #12, Ref Sheets #14, Tegel Manor Play Aid #27, Judges Shield #28) would put the date as 1977 (I have the P.O. Box address title card so thats either 76/77) Does anyone also have this white card or a different one? (And yeah this is to those that have opened theirs or can see the card :) )

ShaneG.

Sage Collector

Post Posted: Thu Sep 22, 2005 4:46 pm 

Plaag wrote:Didn't plan on it, but its a good idea for the site at some point. So when I get around to adding it I'll have to ask what people think are the rares for JG.

ShaneG.

Hiya Shane,

It's probably easier to reach consensus on that than on valuations! :D

Once the full listing is visible and understood (a key point for the various printings), how about opening a thread not just for initial rarity impressions, but also for ongoing re-evaluation?

If possible, it would be easy for people to set out their thoughts openly, as-and-when, and you could evaluate those/update the listings on whatever basis you wished (in combination with eBay observations).

The first question might be whether to use broadly the same definitions of "1" through "5"?

I'd say that was feasible; certainly more so for "Judges Guild" than for "fanzines", for instance.

Just my 02 cents, anyhow. ymmv. :)

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Thu Sep 22, 2005 7:21 pm 

Plaag wrote:Didn't plan on it, but its a good idea for the site at some point. So when I get around to adding it I'll have to ask what people think are the rares for JG.

ShaneG.

well couldnt we have a "judges guild valuation board" like with the other section of Acaeum?

there are some here, me, ian, you and david and a fair smattering of others who may wish to help. i think between us, we could quite easily hammer out whats rare and what isnt etc....

Al

Are we nearly there yet?

Sage Collector

Post Posted: Thu Sep 22, 2005 7:23 pm 

killjoy32 wrote:well couldnt we have a "judges guild valuation board" like with the other section of Acaeum?

Could do that instead/as well. Count me out, though. ;)

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Thu Sep 22, 2005 7:33 pm 

harami2000 wrote:
killjoy32 wrote:well couldnt we have a "judges guild valuation board" like with the other section of Acaeum?

Could do that instead/as well. Count me out, though. ;)

bah! :D

imo i think its far easier to do this for JG stuff than most other things tbh, because you havent got that many items to cover and between us we prb have our hands on most of it or have clear ideas of their rarities/values.

Al

Are we nearly there yet?

Long-Winded Collector
Subweb Admin
JG Valuation Board

Post Posted: Mon Sep 26, 2005 2:40 pm 

From Louis Zocchi: "I paid Bob Bledsaw $350 on 5 separate occasions to bail him out of cash flow binds.  In exchange, I told him that I wanted the right to reprint 5 of his out of print works.  He agreed.  I dont remember how many copies of the few I xeroxed, but it was less than 25, and more like 10."

"The only Judges Guild adventure I reprinted was TEGEL MANOR.  We revised and expanded it to make it more useful and added several features, but left the floor plan the same.  We used black ink on white paper for the maps, to make them easier to read.  I felt that the light tan simulated partchment maps with dark brown ink, were too hard to read.  I have no recollection of ever xeroxing TEGEL MANOR.  If you found one, someone else did it.  I can't remember which of the Judges Guild items we xeroxed, but it was 4 or less because of my understanding with Bob.  Frankly, I don't think we xeroxed any of the titles you listed (these were Escape from Astigar's Lair, Inferno, Of Skulls and Scrapfaggot Green, Tegel Manor) because I did not consider them to be as good as Island book, 50 star bases, Castles book, and TEGEL MANOR."

"I thought we added one line of copy to the xeroxed items, saying, reprinted by Gamescience with permission of Judges Guild.  It has been

too long ago to remember for sure."

I've been told by another that Tower of Ulission and Treasury of Archaic Names was done through Zocchi, but can anyone confirm having a Island book I, 50 star bases, or Castles book I? (and can anyone also confirm the 'reprinted by..' line in said copies)

ShaneG.

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Tue Sep 27, 2005 5:11 am 

Shane...

First Fantasy Campaign

got some stuff that arrived today, including two First Fantasy Campaigns, which were got for curiousity more than anything.

the first one doesnt have a cover, but the whole booklet is there, and lo and behold its a first print too! :D just my luck that.

now, the second one, the booty list goes up to: 93 Under the Storm Giants Castle. was this the one that you were looking for? that came complete and with maps, except someone has doodled a little on the front of the cover (man some ppl really are muppets)  8O

inside it says (c) 1977 by Judges Guild, second printing....and it runs 92 pages too.

anything else you want to know?

Al

Are we nearly there yet?

Long-Winded Collector
Subweb Admin
JG Valuation Board

Post Posted: Tue Sep 27, 2005 1:39 pm 

The one with the booty list going up to 93 is the 2nd print (currently mind you..maybe a 1978 one out there), which I have. I need a scan for the cover of the 1st print.

ShaneG.

PreviousNext
Post new topic Reply to topic Page 14 of 40123 ... 11, 12, 13, 14, 15 ... 383940