Judges Guild Questions
Author

Long-Winded Collector
Subweb Admin
JG Valuation Board

Post Posted: Fri May 27, 2005 1:14 pm 

Do the Judges Guild Fantasy Catalogs, Judges Guild/White Wolf Catalogs, or Portly Pomp Catalog have item numbers?

Item numbers 26, 74, 79, 99, 120, 123, 126-139, 141-149, 151, 510, 950, 1050, 1060, 1080 ever get alloted to products?

Items: JG1500 Wilderlands CD-ROM: 18 maps of CS campaign, wilderness tables, etc. and JG1600 City State Collector's Edition ever get released or listed in a catalog?

From the Rood of Parth series JG1140 Demons of Dundurn (Part 1): Was there ever a part 2? If so what is it called and did it ever have a product number?

Was there ever a World Map Set?

What are Judges Guild Journal Installments?

Thats all I am wondering for now...
ShaneG.

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Fri May 27, 2005 1:31 pm 

That's all?

I know Rood of Parth was never released publicly.

If you hit a Rowsdower, you get to keep it.

Long-Winded Collector
Subweb Admin
JG Valuation Board

Post Posted: Fri May 27, 2005 1:52 pm 

Deadlord36 wrote:That's all?

Far from all  :P  :lol:

Would this be a good format to list the products in (see below)?

Item Code:
Title:  (# printing)
Type: Accessory
System:
Author(s):
Date Published:
Format: #-page book, size in inches map, etc
(Description here)

ShaneG.

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Fri May 27, 2005 1:54 pm 

You'll find a list of the installments over on the JG archive page.

http://keltic71.tripod.com/Index.html

It's fairly accurate but has been proven to be wrong on numerous occasions. The remainder of the items you list I don't think were ever released.

This week I've been mostly eating . . . The white ones with the little red flecks in them.

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Fri May 27, 2005 2:00 pm 

Plaag wrote:
Deadlord36 wrote:That's all?

Far from all :P :lol:

Would this be a good format to list the products in (see below)?

Item Code:
Title: (# printing)
Type: Accessory
System:
Author(s):
Date Published:
Format: #-page book, size in inches map, etc
(Description here)

ShaneG.

Seems like a good format to me. If you standardise your cover scan size and ask for covers in jpeg format, I'm sure there's probably a full between the members of the board.

That was a nice 1st CSIO from Toymom. Nearly complete and in good condition. It took me a year to get my copy (David wouldn't sell), but it was worth the wait for the copy I ended up with.

This week I've been mostly eating . . . The white ones with the little red flecks in them.

Long-Winded Collector
Subweb Admin
JG Valuation Board

Post Posted: Fri May 27, 2005 2:27 pm 

mbassoc2003 wrote:Seems like a good format to me. If you standardise your cover scan size and ask for covers in jpeg format, I'm sure there's probably a full between the members of the board.

That was a nice 1st CSIO from Toymom. Nearly complete and in good condition. It took me a year to get my copy (David wouldn't sell), but it was worth the wait for the copy I ended up with.

Well with it brought up, would they be better as gif or jpeg?
And my thought on size would be either full or a quarter of that, example a module cover would be (8.5" x 11") or (4.25" x 5.5").
Do maps have to be only a protion shown or could a full scan though perhaps smaller then full size be allowed?

ShaneG.

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Fri May 27, 2005 4:28 pm 

Do you mean listing them on eBay?

If you hit a Rowsdower, you get to keep it.

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Fri May 27, 2005 5:42 pm 

Deadlord36 wrote:Do you mean listing them on eBay?

I think we're talking about a relisting of the product line (a website). The ones we all use are a little naff.

Prolific Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Fri May 27, 2005 6:22 pm 

Plaag wrote:Well with it brought up, would they be better as gif or jpeg?
And my thought on size would be either full or a quarter of that, example a module cover would be (8.5" x 11") or (4.25" x 5.5").
Do maps have to be only a protion shown or could a full scan though perhaps smaller then full size be allowed?

ShaneG.

Technically, when you are saving images like photos, the best format is jpg. When you are saving images like graphic charts and other that have a uniform colour or many uniform ones, than it's better to use gif (like in harami2000's JG sheet shown below).
Please use pixels instead of inches for measurements, and remember that images have to be saved on 72 dpi for video screen resolution.

"It's mint, it's a first print, and it's mine!"

KA-POW

"Not anymore".

YIM  

Long-Winded Collector
Subweb Admin
JG Valuation Board

Post Posted: Fri May 27, 2005 8:48 pm 

Hum.. 72dpi, 459x594 pixels, jpg
Now need to test that..anyone wish to do a clean scan of any JG item for this test.

ShaneG.

Sage Collector

Post Posted: Fri May 27, 2005 9:34 pm 

<72 dpi test pic>

How well/badly does this color match anyone else's copy or scan?

Phps best to stick with 72dpi (barring the maps? :?) regardless of actual resolution...
Only minimal cropping at the edges, too.

Long-Winded Collector
Subweb Admin
JG Valuation Board

Post Posted: Fri May 27, 2005 10:22 pm 

Saving picture creates one at 198dpi, making that 72dpi changes the color somewhat (little darker). I don't see the color change as to much of an issue, who knows.
Oh..and good scan.

ShaneG.

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Sat May 28, 2005 4:14 am 

A little off subject, but while seeing the pic of Booklet I... you should know there are slight color differences between all of the Guidieline Booklets, so scans may be different just because of these varations/printings. We have multiples of all of the lettered booklets, and only a few of them color match exactly. Especially Booklet I, there are many shades of the orangey-brown.

What's funny is I came across a Booklet I a few years ago that is solid white with black lettering. It is also missing the "Copyright 1976 Judges Guild" text on the front page, the space is just blank. Other than that their identical. It's not a Xerox copy, it's definitely printed, and it came in a sealed JG mailer envelope P.O. marked in mid 76.

I don't have it in front of me... so I don't remember the exact post marked month, but (iirc) it's pre October, the date given on the Judges Guild Codex as to when it was mass mailed. And this was in the "1000 to 2200, range" according to the Afterglow website.

It's the only one I've ever seen, anyone else have or seen one of these?

My guess is that it may be a Pre-Judges-Guild-Journal-Mailer for early members. Because in the envelope there was only the Guideline Booklet I (White), and the CSotIO maps (the four maps are made with a different heavy-stock paper than the two other sets we have from envelopes P.O. marked October 76), and the envelope did not contain Journal # I. The two with the October 76 post mark has all three of the items normaly included in these mailers. The orangey-brown Initial Guideline Booklet I, The Maps, and the Journal # I, that states October 76 on the cover. My guess as to why the Judges Guild Codex puts that date as the release. Any thoughts are welcome, I've been puzzled about this for a while, and I've exhausted all my contacts about this one. No one seems to know a thing about it including Paul Jaquays, but he didn't start there until a year or so after they got started.

I'll post a few pics latter today.

"Its either a wand to cast Bigby's Hand spells or a +3 backscratcher. We're not sure which."

Long-Winded Collector
Subweb Admin
JG Valuation Board

Post Posted: Sat May 28, 2005 9:46 am 

invincibleoverlord wrote:What's funny is I came across a Booklet I a few years ago that is solid white with black lettering. It is also missing the "Copyright 1976 Judges Guild" text on the front page, the space is just blank. Other than that their identical. It's not a Xerox copy, it's definitely printed, and it came in a sealed JG mailer envelope P.O. marked in mid 76.

I don't have it in front of me... so I don't remember the exact post marked month, but (iirc) it's pre October, the date given on the Judges Guild Codex as to when it was mass mailed. And this was in the "1000 to 2200, range" according to the Afterglow website.

It's the only one I've ever seen, anyone else have or seen one of these?

My guess is that it may be a Pre-Judges-Guild-Journal-Mailer for early members. Because in the envelope there was only the Guideline Booklet I (White), and the CSotIO maps (the four maps are made with a different heavy-stock paper than the two other sets we have from envelopes P.O. marked October 76), and the envelope did not contain Journal # I.

From judgesguild.net

When did you start the business?
In 1974, I (Bob Bledsaw) was a stereo systems designer for GE. I found out that GE was closing up in Decatur and I did not wish to move. I realized how much effort it took to run an active campaign and decided I could make a business of it. I started Judges Guild in July 1975, in partnership with Bill Owen. We put up $160 each to pay for printing the first City-State maps, rolled them up, and took them to GenCon to sell. Judges Guild was incorporated in 1976.

I'd say you got the True first printing of the book, though for the maps I'd suspect from the above they would have to be unfolded (or folded by a previous owner) to qualify as coming from the 1975 GenCon.
I'd really like to know if anything without copyright would place it as a 1975 item, since JG was incorporated in 76.

ShaneG.

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sat May 28, 2005 10:42 am 

harami2000 wrote:<72 dpi test pic>

[ Image ]

How well/badly does this color match anyone else's copy or scan?

Phps best to stick with 72dpi (barring the maps? :?) regardless of actual resolution...
Only minimal cropping at the edges, too.

That's real nice David. Could you do the same with the other pages? :wink:

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Sat May 28, 2005 11:19 am 

Thanks for the info Plaag! I've been trying to shed some light on this for years. JG guy?

I dug out our JG stuff, and I made a mistake in my above post. The white Initial Guidelines Booklet I, and the four maps that make the CSotIO that I stated came from an envelope pre-dating October 76 was incorrect. That envelope is actually plain and void of any post-marks. The few P.O. marked envelopes we do have are marked from October 76 and various months into 77.

After examining the maps again from the plain envelope, I noticed they are also absent of the copyright of 1976 found on our other two sets of these maps. Right away I also noticed they are also of a higher quality, both in printing and especially the quality of paper. The four maps that make up the City-State are still like brand new. They're made of a heavy-stock Manila paper with nice dark-brown ink that's well printed. It's just nice and even, not blotchy, even the half tones are done right.

The other two map sets are on a cheaper flimsy tan paper. The ink looks the same, but it just doesn't stand out as nice on the cheaper paper. The extra text states: City State of the Invincible Overlord Copyright 1976 by Judges Guild.

Interesting indeed. And what's funny is in that same envelope I found a copy of The Official Dungeon of GenCon IX (1976). Not the latter reprinted JG ones, and not the Bob Blake red-covered one either. It's what I believe to be the actual tournament module for Round 1. And now with the discovery that the Guideline Booklet and the Maps could have come from that same GenCon in 76 it kind of make sense to me now remembering a few other items I picked up from a seller that tie into the Con that year. I'd but a buck on it for sure.

So three of what most would consider cool but So-So items in a collection (clean city-state maps, an odd colored Guideline book I, and incomplete Bob Blake pre-pub) may have just become a few GenCon relics. 8O Nice! :D

More research is needed.

"Its either a wand to cast Bigby's Hand spells or a +3 backscratcher. We're not sure which."

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Sat May 28, 2005 11:27 am 

am extremely jealous :D

Are we nearly there yet?

Long-Winded Collector
Subweb Admin
JG Valuation Board

Post Posted: Sat May 28, 2005 11:32 am 

Nice is putting it mildly, as a set its a bit of Gen Con history (if it pans out)

ShaneG.

Next