Judges Guild supply???
Author

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Mon Apr 25, 2005 9:17 pm 

Hi everyone, long-time lurker, first-time poster here.  This is a great site and I've benefited from it a lot.  Thanks to all.

Question, and forgive me if it's been asked before-- what's the explanation for the supply of M/NM SW JG materials out there?  I bought a ton for quite cheap a couple months back and it was in outstanding shape, especially given the many years that have passed since this stuff was put out (and this is the original JG stuff, not the later reprints as far as I can tell).

My theory is that JG had a ton of inventory when it went under, flooding the market, but then how did this stuff survive in great condition for so long?  Is there just a very busy Kinko's out there or what?

Just curious....

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Mon Apr 25, 2005 11:02 pm 

Nah.  Most JG titles aren't worth the effort of making a quality fake.  And I doubt replicating low production value stuff accurately would be very easy.

Like you said, when they went under, they liquidated a billion copies, which some retailers just left boxed up in a closet.

Active Collector

Post Posted: Tue Apr 26, 2005 7:28 am 

Check the staples - a little rust is good !!

As regards the actual shrinkwrap - I've seen better!
Shrink wrapping NM JG modules to make them SW would seem like a viable business proposition :-P

In fact removing the JG shrinkwrap and reshrinking wouldn't be daft :lol:

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Tue Apr 26, 2005 8:30 am 

b_stedman,

Yeah, it makes you think, doesn't it?   :D

Still, with the relative dark age D&D went through in the early 90's (at least from my perspective as a 1e player and being college age at that time when.You.Just.Didn't.Admit to having that stuff in your closet at home), I'm amazed that retailers didn't look around the warehouse, see the JG stuff in a corner and sell it for pulp value just to make space.  They must not have, mordrin, I just have a hard time believing it.  One of life's little mysteries, I guess.

Prolific Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Tue Apr 26, 2005 8:36 am 

Achizar wrote:b_stedman,

least from my perspective as a 1e player and being college age at that time when.You.Just.Didn't.Admit to having that stuff in your closet at home), I'm amazed that retailers didn't look around the warehouse, see the JG stuff in a corner and sell it for pulp value just to make space. They must not have, mordrin, I just have a hard time believing it. One of life's little mysteries, I guess.

You'd be right if ours was a perfect world. As it is not, for the better or the worse, I guess that (luckily) some game shops simply forgot closed boxes of modules in dark corners of their storerooms... and they did resurface in all their glory years and years later.

"After you have slashed the fearsome dragon to bits, you discover iits treasure hoard... and between the glimmering of the shrinkwrap you discover a box of shrinkwrapped H1s, and a scattering of ST1s around, circling a pedestal where The Lost Mint Woody Box stands atop in full glory..."

Talk about dungeons and their hidden riches, anyone?

:lol:

"It's mint, it's a first print, and it's mine!"

KA-POW

"Not anymore".

YIM  

Site Admin

Post Posted: Tue Apr 26, 2005 1:35 pm 

Actually, Judges Guild themselves was the culprit.  Upon re-emerging a few years ago, they began selling an enormous amount of vintage items that were supposedly overstock from the warehouse.  All of these items were mint and in the shrinkwrap.  Now, whether they were actually re-printing the items (I suspect they were), or really just clearing out 25-year-old material, who knows.  The items that they're selling (and may still be selling via their website) are indistiguishable from the items originally sold in the 70's and 80's.

Foul

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Tue Apr 26, 2005 1:38 pm 

FoulFoot wrote:Actually, Judges Guild themselves was the culprit. Upon re-emerging a few years ago, they began selling an enormous amount of vintage items that were supposedly overstock from the warehouse. All of these items were mint and in the shrinkwrap. Now, whether they were actually re-printing the items (I suspect they were), or really just clearing out 25-year-old material, who knows. The items that they're selling (and may still be selling via their website) are indistiguishable from the items originally sold in the 70's and 80's.

Foul

All of the items I bought from them back then (2-3 years ago) certainly SMELL old.  And the shrinkwrap seems old, too.

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Tue Apr 26, 2005 2:16 pm 

afoolandhis$ wrote:All of the items I bought from them back then (2-3 years ago) certainly SMELL old. And the shrinkwrap seems old, too.

a lot of the JG stuff that i have doesnt smell new and some has the staples rusting, despite being in SW... old paper has a certain smell to it that you can't replicate so easy (like you would need to)....and a lot of them smell that way imo

Are we nearly there yet?

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Tue Apr 26, 2005 4:35 pm 

Hmm, I agree that the SW seemed old, and I don't have a great sense of smell generally so it wasn't anything I necessarily would have noticed...I'll have to check it out tonight-- and hope that my wife doesn't catch me, though she is well used to odd behavior by now.  :wink:

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Tue Apr 26, 2005 5:03 pm 

:lol: , I know the feeling

"Its either a wand to cast Bigby's Hand spells or a +3 backscratcher. We're not sure which."

Grandstanding Collector
JG Valuation Board
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Tue Apr 26, 2005 6:14 pm 

There is an E-Bay seller in North Texas who last year purchased what he described as ALL of the remaining supply of warehoused older JG stock in the USA. He said it was being delivered to him from California in a shipping container, one of those 40' x 8' metal boxes. I was at his home picking up a large collection of older Shrinked JG Items. I am quite certain they were originals and in the original SW. His stuff was NOT re-shrinked.

He also told me that JG's US rep told him that JG was gearing up for a return to making new modules for the D20 and 3.5 Edition systems for AD&D.

"Guys, I am starting to think Tegel Manor might be haunted..."
Stated by me as a PC during a run of Tegel Manor DMed by killjoy at NTRPGCon 2010

Charter Member of the ATM

Sage Collector
Valuation Board

Post Posted: Tue Apr 26, 2005 9:46 pm 

On this topic, I've spoken to dealers through the years that had obtained large quantities of JG items, most in SW. Evidently some of it was from different warehouse stockpiles that reemerged. Others were evidently reprinted, as Foul mentioned he suspected. I don't know how one could corroborate this information, maybe contacting Bob Bledsaw?

Here's a link if anyone is interested:

judgesguild.net

It's a pretty interesting site, plus they have links to a couple forums.

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Tue Apr 26, 2005 10:14 pm 

Tadashi still has a large supply of original shrinked JG stuff that he sells at cover price---it's not the broadest selection on the planet, but it's still substantial :D

Allan Grohe ([email protected])
Greyhawk, grodog Style

Editor and Project Manager, Black Blade Publishing
https://www.facebook.com/BlackBladePublishing/

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Wed Apr 27, 2005 1:26 am 

Aneoth wrote:There is an E-Bay seller in North Texas who last year purchased what he described as ALL of the remaining supply of warehoused older JG stock in the USA. He said it was being delivered to him from California in a shipping container, one of those 40' x 8' metal boxes. I was at his home picking up a large collection of older Shrinked JG Items. I am quite certain they were originals and in the original SW. His stuff was NOT re-shrinked.

He also told me that JG's US rep told him that JG was gearing up for a return to making new modules for the D20 and 3.5 Edition systems for AD&D.

i know this guy too and he also informed me of the same and then some. you wouldnt purchase this much stuff in the quantity he did, without some solid research etc....well i wouldnt anyway. i believe what he said too and the stuff is definately not re-shrinked.

Al

Are we nearly there yet?

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Wed Apr 27, 2005 8:39 am 

Aneoth/killjoy,

This guy you're referring to wouldn't happen to be paragon_games, would it? That's who I got all my stuff from-- excellent prices, pretty decent to deal with.  Interestingly, I just checked him out on ebay-- his prices have skyrocketed in the 2 months or so since I bought a pile from him.  Perhaps because he's cornered the market?

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Wed Apr 27, 2005 8:46 am 

Achizar wrote:Aneoth/killjoy,

This guy you're referring to wouldn't happen to be paragon_games, would it? That's who I got all my stuff from-- excellent prices, pretty decent to deal with. Interestingly, I just checked him out on ebay-- his prices have skyrocketed in the 2 months or so since I bought a pile from him. Perhaps because he's cornered the market?

Actually I think that is probably Fencert.  I bought a bunch of stuff from him a couple months ago. He is a good guy, easy to deal with. :D

"He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you." -Neitzche

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Wed Apr 27, 2005 8:56 am 

Aneoth wrote:There is an E-Bay seller in North Texas who last year purchased what he described as ALL of the remaining supply of warehoused older JG stock in the USA. He said it was being delivered to him from California in a shipping container, one of those 40' x 8' metal boxes. I was at his home picking up a large collection of older Shrinked JG Items. I am quite certain they were originals and in the original SW. His stuff was NOT re-shrinked.

Zocchi (anyone remember him?) had a gigantic warehouse full of JG stock that he doled out during the late 80's/early 90's at ridiculous prices. His stock was bought out, I bought almost all my JG items from this guy, he mentioned he had stacks and stacks of this stuff from the Zocchi buy, enought to fill a storage shed or two.  Apparantly JG weren't shy about massive printing runs of certain items.

Mike B.

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Wed Apr 27, 2005 9:35 am 

bclarkie wrote:
Achizar wrote:Actually I think that is probably Fencert. I bought a bunch of stuff from him a couple months ago. He is a good guy, easy to deal with. :D

yeah thats who i got my stuff from, amongst a few others. he's one of the best ppl i have ever dealt with and one i thoroughly recommend stateside...along with my lil chummer draco, blarkie and of course aneoth too....sure i have missed others :)

never dealt with that paragon chappy....

Al

Are we nearly there yet?

Next