Tegel Manor printings
Author

Sage Collector

Post Posted: Fri Apr 15, 2005 1:43 pm 

killjoy32 wrote:
Deadlord36 wrote:Mbassoc is right, I have 4 printings with minor variations such as coloring, etc.
See, I DID get up and check!

ok ok ok will let you off...you still retain your position of JG master....to go with ian, david and others i hold in similar regard...

but next time mister, more promptness plz! :D :D :D

Hey, Frank, you've got a tough case here. No respecter of time zones, whatsoever! :D

=

mbassoc2003 wrote:I think, al la Rahasia and 1st Print PoVQ, you may find that they did many small print runs of the '1st print Tegel'.
As with Modron and CSIO, the evidence seems to indicate that subcribers received their mods before they were released for sale by mail order.

(Plus 1st print OD&D set: possibly printing extra covers when required, so it appears...).

Is not quite in the same category, I think, since all of these had unknown small "demand" from potential buyers, whereas the Tegel had a known subscription base.
A few thousand subscription Tegels would make more sense as a single print run; in the first instance, at least.

Almost certain the subscription copies were made available first and there should have been some overrun from that, you would've thought- unless, of course, they'd under-estimated the growing number of subscribers and hence had to do a few "make up" print runs.
Then, later, the orange copy for purchase in its own right, with those minor resettings.
(And/or they could've made those changes and back-filled any o/s or new subscription orders, but would need more information on that, I think).

mbassoc2003 wrote:As is would be near impossible to distinguish between them and put them in order with any certainty, and as they all seem to achieve the same sorts of values on eBay, I tend to consider them all as 1st Print Tegels.

Well, no-one had advertised the differences particularly well, so I wouldn't read much into the realisations ('cept they're all very much high-side, just now).

If there are text re-settings/amendments on the orange copies, that's a different print IMO regardless of where that is stated on a copyright/printing line.
The difference in paper stock would've been close enough in it's own right: certainly ample and consistent enough to note as a "variation", but with further supporting evidence from the sub copies vs. those separately bought.

Whether any of this actually makes a difference to $ or desirability in the long run is another matter, but I personally wouldn't pay overly high for an orange copy.

02 cents only, of course. ;)

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Fri Apr 15, 2005 1:53 pm 

Nice work, David.  As usual!   :D

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Fri Apr 15, 2005 1:59 pm 

harami2000 wrote:If Bella was that hot on her research, she'd've never have fluffed the PotVQ!
(I passed that snippet re. the Tegel on to her, when running through the various valuations: Ian may have done so, too).

I passed along similar information on Tegel and CSIO to Bella. Would have been nice to have got a sticker though. :D

harami2000 wrote:Almost certain the subscription copies were made available first and there should have been some overrun from that, you would've thought- unless, of course, they'd under-estimated the growing number of subscribers and hence had to do a few "make up" print runs.
Then, later, the orange copy for purchase in its own right, with those minor resettings.
(And/or they could've made those changes and back-filled any o/s or new subscription orders, but would need more information on that, I think).

I agree. The first print run of the first edition should certainly have been a single run for the subscriber copies.

harami2000 wrote:Well, no-one had advertised the differences particularly well, so I wouldn't read much into the realisations ('cept they're all very much high-side, just now).

If there are text re-settings/amendments on the orange copies, that's a different print IMO regardless of where that is stated on a copyright/printing line.
The difference in paper stock would've been close enough in it's own right: certainly ample and consistent enough to note as a "variation", but with further supporting evidence from the sub copies vs. those separately bought.

Whether any of this actually makes a difference to $ or desirability in the long run is another matter, but I personally wouldn't pay overly high for an orange copy.

02 cents only, of course. ;)

There is a large amount of info, and if a JG index were to be established at Acaeum, there is more than sufficient information to do a good job of it.

This week I've been mostly eating . . . The white ones with the little red flecks in them.

Sage Collector

Post Posted: Fri Apr 15, 2005 2:03 pm 

afoolandhis$ wrote:Nice work, David. As usual!  :D

Please don't take as 100% guaranteed, Stephen... :)

Sounds like this one needs a large stack of un-tampered copies to work out, but there should be groupings falling out somewhat along the above lines, I think.
If there are other smaller "make up"/interim print runs, good luck to whoever's trying to work things out: it might not be possible to determine a definite "print" sequence below red, then orange-red, in that case, with the others only classifiable as "variations" (in my terminology, anyhow).

Thank you for spotting that actual printing difference!

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Fri Apr 15, 2005 2:05 pm 

mbassoc2003 wrote:I passed along similar information on Tegel and CSIO to Bella. Would have been nice to have got a sticker though. :D

What, no sticker?  I got a sticker AND a coloring book!   :lol:

mbassoc2003 wrote:There is a large amount of info, and if a JG index were to be established at Acaeum, there is more than sufficient information to do a good job of it.

Great idea.  Would love to see it!

Previous