Thracia project
Author

Long-Winded Collector
Valuation Board

Post Posted: Mon Jan 08, 2024 11:11 pm 

Have youv ever heard about this project?

Thracia project - Google Docs

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Tue Jan 09, 2024 4:10 am 

This is a group project with the intent of looking back at the classic Judge's Guild module Caverns of Thracia and rewriting it with terse evocative language and reset some of the formatting to make it more practical for the table.

Yep. Right from the outset it fails to explain what the project is, what they are planning on doing, their intent, or why they intend to do it?
Is there anything wrong with the original product of the republished product?
Is this a desire to create a 'woke' version of the module more palatable to the sensibilities of todays players?
Or is this a desire to create a more gritty product of what they perceive to be a too woolly and cuddly gaming experience?

My initial thought is, if the writers are that bad at communicating right off the bat, they are poorly equipped to achieve their goals, whatever they are.

This week I've been mostly eating . . . The white ones with the little red flecks in them.

Sage Collector
JG Valuation Board
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Tue Jan 09, 2024 5:58 am 

This was a bit of a dumb comment by me so deleted. Will be interesting to see how they go with it.

Last edited by HermitFromPluto on Thu Jan 11, 2024 3:50 am, edited 1 time in total.

Sage Collector
JG Valuation Board

Post Posted: Tue Jan 09, 2024 7:32 am 

aia wrote in Thracia project:Have youv ever heard about this project?

Thracia project - Google Docs

I had not. But I think it looks interesting - I am all for updating/expanding/recycling classic adventures. A few years ago my old group started playing again and we have been re-adapting some 5th edition adventures for a 1st Ed AD&D game as well as revisiting old adventures we never played - and Thracia is one of those. I would also be interested in a version of Thieves of Badabaskor and a few others as well.

Let's go fly a kite
Up to the highest height!

Long-Winded Collector
Subweb Admin
JG Valuation Board

Post Posted: Tue Jan 09, 2024 8:35 am 

Just glancing through it I can appreciate the effort. Will try to read more of it later.

ShaneG.

I reject your reality and substitute my own

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Tue Jan 09, 2024 8:44 am 

Plaag wrote in Thracia project:Just glancing through it I can appreciate the effort. Will try to read more of it later.

ShaneG.

What is the point? What I mean is, they have not said what they are doing or why? Is the original unclear and they are trying to make it better? Is the original too racist and homophobic with filthy dirty orcsis and  they want to 'clean it up'? Is the original too mamby-pamby and they want to make it more grown up? There is no description or explanation of what they are trying to achieve that I can see.

And if they do not know the meanings of words in the language they are writing, and have no interest in looking them up in a dictionary or online, that does not bode well for their output regardless of how much effort they put in.

This week I've been mostly eating . . . The white ones with the little red flecks in them.

Long-Winded Collector
Subweb Admin
JG Valuation Board

Post Posted: Tue Jan 09, 2024 9:04 am 

I think they are trying to add to the product with atmosphere, since they are not rewriting it (the doc states you still need the Caverns of Thracia with this). Not that concerned over this.

ShaneG.

I reject your reality and substitute my own

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Tue Jan 09, 2024 11:06 am 

I wonder if they had NG's permission to scan and republish their maps (although it looks like they just got the PDF and stripped the maps from them and published those.
If I bought a product from DrivethruRPG and extracted the map sheets and uploaded them to the internet for free download, provided the rest of the module isn't there, is that 'fair use'? Or is that stealing someone elses IP?

I realise that Necromancer Games is no more, so the IP is never likely to be enforced, so I can see why they don't give a sh!t about IP rights. But I'm just curious about whether this is legal or illegal.

Sage Collector
Valuation Board

Post Posted: Tue Jan 09, 2024 12:04 pm 

I believe that Goodman Games acquired the rights to Caverns of Thracia (and Dark Tower) from Judges Guild a while ago.  They released a cleaned-up version of it at some of the Cons and through a Kickstarter.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/de ... a-and-more

They are supposed to be releasing 5E and DCC RPG versions through an Original Adventures Reincarnated release, similar to the Dark Tower Kickstarter:

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/de ... dark-tower

If it's just a project to enhance/supplement the module, with no monetary gain, it's probably not going to be an issue.

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Tue Jan 09, 2024 5:48 pm 

The OAR release of Dark Tower has been on the cards for a while, and I’m looking forward to that one.
I don’t think anyone cares about RPG IP in the modern world. There is no evidence that it impacts price one way or the other, and for the most part publishers are themselves the producers of the PDFs and they refuse point blank to defend their authors’ IP.