First Print JG Tegel Manor $119?
Post new topic Reply to topic Page 7 of 81234, 5, 6, 78
Author


Prolific Collector

Posts: 299
Joined: Jun 07, 2004
Last Visit: Aug 14, 2008
Location: OHIO

Post Posted: Fri Mar 11, 2005 8:49 am 
 

Something else just dawned on me.....there was never a true confirmation on the PotVQ's authenticity...right?



Has anyone confirmed that Bella is a female????



I think we all just went about assuming.  I know of two Bella's that were male's........ :?:  8O


May Eru's light shine upon you always.

  


Verbose Collector
Acaeum Donor

Posts: 1043
Joined: Jan 06, 2004
Last Visit: Jul 01, 2020
Location: Leicester, UK

Post Posted: Fri Mar 11, 2005 9:08 am 
 

morgansurname wrote:£300

Send instant messages to your online friends Yahoo! Messenger - Chat, Instant message, Video Call, PC Calls

FOR EVERYTHING!!!



Sorry for the vagueness...I mailed Bella to ask how much it all went for. She said 300#...for everything.


Interesting. £300 you say. That is suspicious :? . Becuase it's the offer she accepted from me. Only to say she had then decided to take another offer. :evil:



Very strange that it wasn't a higher offer then.  What's wrong with my 300 quid :cry:

  

User avatar

Prolific Collector
Acaeum Donor

Posts: 343
Joined: Feb 28, 2005
Last Visit: Dec 28, 2017
Location: Turin, Italy

Post Posted: Fri Mar 11, 2005 9:35 am 
 

johnhuck wrote:
morgansurname wrote:£300

Send instant messages to your online friends Yahoo! Messenger - Chat, Instant message, Video Call, PC Calls

FOR EVERYTHING!!!



Sorry for the vagueness...I mailed Bella to ask how much it all went for. She said 300#...for everything.


Interesting. £300 you say. That is suspicious :? . Becuase it's the offer she accepted from me. Only to say she had then decided to take another offer. :evil:



Very strange that it wasn't a higher offer then. What's wrong with my 300 quid :cry:




John, sure you didn't suggest anything ELSE to this Bella chickie?  :wink:



You know that in italian Bella means "beautiful"...  :lol:

 YIM  


Verbose Collector
Acaeum Donor

Posts: 1043
Joined: Jan 06, 2004
Last Visit: Jul 01, 2020
Location: Leicester, UK

Post Posted: Fri Mar 11, 2005 9:43 am 
 

I participated in this auction, and all I got was this lousy sticker!  :wink:



Image



But wait....Postmarked Edinburgh.  Odd.  The seller said they were in Portsmouth :idea:



Something fishy going on methinks!



Maybe they spent all day on the train travelling to Edinburgh to post it and then return to Portsmouth (About a 15 hour round trip).



Or something like that. :lol:

  

User avatar

Grandstanding Collector

Posts: 8219
Joined: Jan 21, 2005
Last Visit: Jun 12, 2017
Location: Wallasey, Merseyside, UK

Post Posted: Fri Mar 11, 2005 10:02 am 
 

so what was it for john?



  


Verbose Collector
Acaeum Donor

Posts: 1043
Joined: Jan 06, 2004
Last Visit: Jul 01, 2020
Location: Leicester, UK

Post Posted: Fri Mar 11, 2005 10:47 am 
 

rosenkav wrote:
John, sure you didn't suggest anything ELSE to this Bella chickie? :wink:



You know that in italian Bella means "beautiful"... :lol:




Beautiful in name perhaps.



But have you ever spoken to someone on the phone and thought "Wow, hot!".



Only to find that they look like Norman Bates' mother when you meet them in person.



killjoy32 wrote:so what was it for john?




The sticker was for recommending ImageShack® - Online Photo and Video Hosting to post some higher resolution images.



Her words were "I don't imagine it's worth anything".



And it probably isn't. Unless stormber was selling it! :wink:

  


Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Posts: 3066
Joined: Jul 09, 2004
Last Visit: Apr 30, 2015

Post Posted: Fri Mar 11, 2005 11:04 am 
 

johnhuck wrote:Her words were "I don't imagine it's worth anything".



And it probably isn't. Unless stormber was selling it! :wink:


Heh.  I might have to ask him to run my auctions, everything he touches seems to turn to gold. :)  Of course it's nice stuff to begin with...

 YIM  


Verbose Collector
Acaeum Donor

Posts: 1043
Joined: Jan 06, 2004
Last Visit: Jul 01, 2020
Location: Leicester, UK

Post Posted: Fri Mar 11, 2005 11:07 am 
 

Bella wrote:Hi John,



I'm up in Scotland for an auction. In my business you either have to go to the auctions in person or rely on the catalogue for a description and bid blind. With big lots I like to go so I can bid in person, and I get the chance to rummage around too. On top of that, there's a whole city full of charity shops to be looted (tomorrow). All in all I hope to fill the car before I head back down on Sunday.



I'm glad you got your sticker.



As regards the auction, I got to talking to a lot of bidders, some nice and some not so nice, and I just had to choose one. It didn't really come down to the money. It wasn't anything anyone said or did, I just picked one.



If there's anything to be learned it's 'stick to what you know' (me that is).




Anyone had chance to meet her in Scotland?  Ian?  David?  :twisted:

  


Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Posts: 3798
Joined: Feb 23, 2005
Last Visit: Sep 02, 2021

Post Posted: Fri Mar 11, 2005 11:09 am 
 

I am the fool who parted with his money for Bella's delights...well, at least I parted with my money; we'll see what, if anything, arrives in the mail.



Here's what Bella says is on the way for my $600 (her spelling and descriptions, not mine):

"The Jade Hare in excelent condition

Tegel Manor 1st edition complete and in excelent condition

Palace of the Vampire Queen - maybe a photocopy sealed in ziplock

White Dwarf Issue 2 excelent condition

White Dwarf Issue 6 in excelent condition

Dungeoneers magazines, Wizards Aide and City State".



Okay, please refrain from laughing too loudly.   :)



I may get the shaft, I realize, but I enjoy this sort of gamble.  After receiving Bella's email notifying everyone that the auction was cancelled, but that she would take private bids, I got on the phone with all of my credit card holders.  Seems Am Ex has the best policies regarding refunds on fraud, misleading descriptions, etc., and will even cover you if the item is accidentally damaged/destroyed by you after you receive it (Visa and Mastercard have more restrictive policies).



Anyway, I would like to know if anyone has advice on how to go about having the authenticity of the PoVQ investigated once (or rather if) I receive it.  I'm operating under the assumption that it's a 3rd print, but if it's junk I want to know asap.  Also, one of the photos showed a price sticker from what appears to be a shop in Yakima, WA.  I searched on Google and found a couple of hobby shops in Yakima that I might call.  It would be interesting to try to track down the source of the PoVQ, so if anyone has any suggestions, I'd be grateful.



Thanks,

Stephen

  

User avatar

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Posts: 6540
Joined: Jan 03, 2005
Last Visit: Jan 20, 2022
Location: UK

Post Posted: Fri Mar 11, 2005 11:15 am 
 

johnhuck wrote:And it probably isn't. Unless stormber was selling it! :wink:




The Collector's Trove Presents the John Huck Sticker Collection!



The Collector's Trove has been authorized to auction the collection of John Huck. These items were acquired during John's umpteen years as an collector of TSR roleplaying games, a hobby that he discovered at school, and continued through a lifetime of role playing geekdom.



Each lot comes with its own unique Letter of Authentication personally signed and dated by John.... Blah blah blah blah blah.



During his time at blah blah blah blah, blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah. Blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah very rare. This is a once in a lifetime opportunity to own blah blah blah blah blah blah.



Blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah Gary Gygax himself. Blah blah blah blah blah blah, blah blah blah blah blah blah gods of our hobby. Blah blah blah blah blah blah blah. Blah blah blah and its still sticky too. Blah blah blah, blah blah blah blah blah blah from the personal collection of John Huck.



:D


This week I've been mostly eating . . . gummy bears.

 WWW  


Verbose Collector
Acaeum Donor

Posts: 1043
Joined: Jan 06, 2004
Last Visit: Jul 01, 2020
Location: Leicester, UK

Post Posted: Fri Mar 11, 2005 11:18 am 
 

mbassoc2003 wrote:
johnhuck wrote:And it probably isn't. Unless stormber was selling it! :wink:




The Collector's Trove Presents the John Huck Sticker Collection!



The Collector's Trove has been authorized to auction the collection of John Huck. These items were acquired during John's umpteen years as an collector of TSR roleplaying games, a hobby that he discovered at school, and continued through a lifetime of role playing geekdom.




Thanks!  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:

  


Verbose Collector
Acaeum Donor

Posts: 1043
Joined: Jan 06, 2004
Last Visit: Jul 01, 2020
Location: Leicester, UK

Post Posted: Fri Mar 11, 2005 11:23 am 
 

afoolandhis$ wrote:I am the fool who parted with his money for Bella's delights...well, at least I parted with my money; we'll see what, if anything, arrives in the mail.



Here's what Bella says is on the way for my $600 (her spelling and descriptions, not mine):

"The Jade Hare in excelent condition

Tegel Manor 1st edition complete and in excelent condition

Palace of the Vampire Queen - maybe a photocopy sealed in ziplock

White Dwarf Issue 2 excelent condition

White Dwarf Issue 6 in excelent condition

Dungeoneers magazines, Wizards Aide and City State".



Okay, please refrain from laughing too loudly.  :)




Congratulations Stephen.  :mrgreen:



I personally think that you got a good deal.  Looks like a NM PotVQ, Jade Hare and Tegel.  And early WD prices seem to be on the up.

  

User avatar

Grandstanding Collector

Posts: 8219
Joined: Jan 21, 2005
Last Visit: Jun 12, 2017
Location: Wallasey, Merseyside, UK

Post Posted: Fri Mar 11, 2005 11:23 am 
 

mbassoc2003 wrote:Each lot comes with its own unique Letter of Authentication personally signed and dated by John.... Blah blah blah blah blah.




don't forget "with the letter of authentication, you will receive a free pamphlet on 'how to approach sellers direct and get great deals in 7 easy steps'. this priceless resource will place you miles ahead of your competitors when aiming for that item that always seems to evade you!"



i really can see it! :)



  


Verbose Collector
Acaeum Donor

Posts: 1043
Joined: Jan 06, 2004
Last Visit: Jul 01, 2020
Location: Leicester, UK

Post Posted: Fri Mar 11, 2005 11:29 am 
 

killjoy32 wrote:
don't forget "with the letter of authentication, you will receive a free pamphlet on 'how to approach sellers direct and get great deals in 7 easy steps'. this priceless resource will place you miles ahead of your competitors when aiming for that item that always seems to evade you!"



i really can see it! :)




Yeah, right!  I have a great track record here as recently demonstrated.



Although the sticker is an improvement on anything before i.e. nowt!  :lol:

  

User avatar

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Posts: 6540
Joined: Jan 03, 2005
Last Visit: Jan 20, 2022
Location: UK

Post Posted: Fri Mar 11, 2005 11:32 am 
 

killjoy32 wrote:don't forget "with the letter of authentication, you will receive a free pamphlet on 'how to approach sellers direct and get great deals in 7 easy steps'. this priceless resource will place you miles ahead of your competitors when aiming for that item that always seems to evade you!"



i really can see it! :)


Stormber must have his pick of the best stuff. Maybe Tim had 3 orange B3's and the worst of the bunch is up on eBay? The other two went privately for $500 a piece.

Naw. People don't do that sort of thing.


This week I've been mostly eating . . . gummy bears.

 WWW  

User avatar

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Posts: 6540
Joined: Jan 03, 2005
Last Visit: Jan 20, 2022
Location: UK

Post Posted: Fri Mar 11, 2005 11:37 am 
 

morgansurname wrote:Has anyone confirmed that Bella is a female????



I think we all just went about assuming. I know of two Bella's that were male's........ :?: 8O


Unfortunately, he didn't find that out until the morning. :D  :lol:  :lol:


This week I've been mostly eating . . . gummy bears.

 WWW  


Sage Collector

Posts: 2639
Joined: Jan 23, 2003
Last Visit: Jan 11, 2006

Post Posted: Fri Mar 11, 2005 1:24 pm 
 

johnhuck wrote:
morgansurname wrote:£300

Send instant messages to your online friends Yahoo! Messenger - Chat, Instant message, Video Call, PC Calls

FOR EVERYTHING!!!



Sorry for the vagueness...I mailed Bella to ask how much it all went for. She said 300#...for everything.


Interesting. £300 you say. That is suspicious :? . Becuase it's the offer she accepted from me. Only to say she had then decided to take another offer. :evil:



Very strange that it wasn't a higher offer then. What's wrong with my 300 quid :cry:


If you're looking for rational answers John, don't bother.



Yup, I know your offer was £300, John, and that Bella had ACCEPTED that pending my OKing that. I know I could have offered higher (for the third/fourth time), but decided you might as well have the win since it was only really the two of us in the auction bidding throughout and she'd already rejected higher offers from me twice (at least) before.



Am fairly sure I know why the win went the way it did, but is just part of her total inconsistency throughout and flailing back and forward between valuing the PotVQ at zero and thinking anyone bidding on it was a fool, yet wanting the money at the same time.

At the last minute, I think she flip-flopped yet again and decided that because you bid too high in the auction "for her standards" you weren't going to get the goods.

Is as close to an explanation as I could get.

(Just like the comment I got for being the "sensible one" when you took the lead in the auction and I didn't immediately respond).



=



Had I authenticated Bella's PotVQ and she decided she didn't want it back, my standing offer, plus the amount she could have raised for the rest of the items would have been pushing £400 with all the buyers paying for their own postage.



And if you see any logic in someone torturing themselves for the best part of a week in order to lose £100, please let me know!



Very, very, very silly....

  


Sage Collector

Posts: 2639
Joined: Jan 23, 2003
Last Visit: Jan 11, 2006

Post Posted: Fri Mar 11, 2005 1:25 pm 
 

mbassoc2003 wrote:Stormber must have his pick of the best stuff. Maybe Tim had 3 orange B3's and the worst of the bunch is up on eBay? The other two went privately for $500 a piece.


He has only found one yet, afaik.

However, he did just turn up that second T1st Greyhawk "out of the blue" :)

  
PreviousNext
Post new topic Reply to topic Page 7 of 81234, 5, 6, 78