First Print JG Tegel Manor $119?
Author

Verbose Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Fri Mar 11, 2005 4:48 am 

mbassoc2003 wrote:
johnhuck wrote:Bravado and bluff are easy in writing. But unfortunately (?) I'm leopard-like in my actions. :oops:

So how many ST1's are there that are known about, and where are they?

Cougar has one. Condition Unknown. Who else.

There was a thread on this not so long ago.  Someone will post the link I'm sure.

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Fri Mar 11, 2005 4:49 am 

mbassoc2003 wrote:
johnhuck wrote:Bravado and bluff are easy in writing. But unfortunately (?) I'm leopard-like in my actions. :oops:

So how many ST1's are there that are known about, and where are they?

Cougar has one. Condition Unknown. Who else.

i think i also know someone who has one. will get a pic if so and log its condition for the records etc (and any other particular bigger rarities that he may have)....

Are we nearly there yet?

Verbose Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Fri Mar 11, 2005 4:53 am 

OK, I'll do it

beyondthebreach wrote:So. . . how many confirmed ST1's are out there anyway?

I have reviewed a bunch of forum posts and done some guessing and here is what I have got so far:

CONFIRMED owners of ST1's:

- Stormberg

- Dathon

- Major Axe

- Lawrenson (2 copies - if it is 3 or more, than let me know)

- Graeme Morris (I am assuming he has at least one copy)

- "Anonymous collector" who bought it from Riftvalleyman (who got it from Lawrenson)

Total confirmed: 7

SUSPECTED copies:

- Rshelley (I am guessing there is a copy to be found that is still unsold)

- Cougarrinard (2 copies? Does he really have at least two of everything? Odds are good he has this though since he is in the UK)

- Nobleknight games (don't know if he has one, but he did win Ralf's Grandmaster contest way back)

- Mike Brunton (how about it? He was a co-author - I would have kept one if I were him)

Total suspected (by me, that is): 5 copies

Grand total: 12 copies

So, that can't be it - who else has one? Who knows of someone with one?

See the following thread for the whole story:

ST1 survival rate??

Verbose Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Fri Mar 11, 2005 4:56 am 

Hey - John beat me to it! Damn!

Also, a member named btsai joined a few months ago and stated they had one under "collecting appraisal"

"Gleemonex makes it feel like it's seventy-two degrees in your head... all... the... time! "

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Fri Mar 11, 2005 5:09 am 

beyondthebreach wrote:Hey - John beat me to it! Damn!

Also, a member named btsai joined a few months ago and stated they had one under "collecting appraisal"

And the bidder on the Orange B3 - KewlMarine - claims to have one in fair to poor condition

This week I've been mostly eating . . . The white ones with the little red flecks in them.

Sage Collector

Post Posted: Fri Mar 11, 2005 7:16 am 

damn, sorry; started that thread again :lol:

...Plus three more belonging to, or offered to, list members not listed above (have scans of two of those at least; not the same copies owned by others, above). Plus three, anyhow, belonging to people I know, in that thread (didn't get full feedback, nor was I asking; just curious to know). Malcolm had four (also per that thread; not 2 or 3).

*tries to remember if those other two "fun" auctions were before or after the thread*

All told; pushing into the twenties, anyhow... (?)

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Fri Mar 11, 2005 8:14 am 

£300

Send instant messages to your online friends Yahoo! Messenger - Chat, Instant message, Video Call, PC Calls

FOR EVERYTHING!!!

Sorry for the vagueness...I mailed Bella to ask how much it all went for.  She said 300#...for everything.

May Eru's light shine upon you always.

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Fri Mar 11, 2005 8:17 am 

morgansurname wrote:£300

Send instant messages to your online friends Yahoo! Messenger - Chat, Instant message, Video Call, PC Calls

FOR EVERYTHING!!!

I must admit, I am lost.  :?

"He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you." -Neitzche

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Fri Mar 11, 2005 8:49 am 

Something else just dawned on me.....there was never a true confirmation on the PotVQ's authenticity...right?

Has anyone confirmed that Bella is a female????

I think we all just went about assuming.  I know of two Bella's that were male's........ :?:  8O

May Eru's light shine upon you always.

Verbose Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Fri Mar 11, 2005 9:08 am 

FOR EVERYTHING!!!

Sorry for the vagueness...I mailed Bella to ask how much it all went for. She said 300#...for everything.

Interesting. £300 you say. That is suspicious :? . Becuase it's the offer she accepted from me. Only to say she had then decided to take another offer. :evil:

Very strange that it wasn't a higher offer then.  What's wrong with my 300 quid :cry:

Prolific Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Fri Mar 11, 2005 9:35 am 

johnhuck wrote:

FOR EVERYTHING!!!

Sorry for the vagueness...I mailed Bella to ask how much it all went for. She said 300#...for everything.

Interesting. £300 you say. That is suspicious :? . Becuase it's the offer she accepted from me. Only to say she had then decided to take another offer. :evil:

Very strange that it wasn't a higher offer then. What's wrong with my 300 quid :cry:

John, sure you didn't suggest anything ELSE to this Bella chickie?  :wink:

You know that in italian Bella means "beautiful"...  :lol:

YIM  

Verbose Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Fri Mar 11, 2005 9:43 am 

I participated in this auction, and all I got was this lousy sticker!  :wink:

But wait....Postmarked Edinburgh.  Odd.  The seller said they were in Portsmouth :idea:

Something fishy going on methinks!

Maybe they spent all day on the train travelling to Edinburgh to post it and then return to Portsmouth (About a 15 hour round trip).

Or something like that. :lol:

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Fri Mar 11, 2005 10:02 am 

so what was it for john?

Are we nearly there yet?

Verbose Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Fri Mar 11, 2005 10:47 am 

rosenkav wrote:
John, sure you didn't suggest anything ELSE to this Bella chickie? :wink:

You know that in italian Bella means "beautiful"... :lol:

Beautiful in name perhaps.

But have you ever spoken to someone on the phone and thought "Wow, hot!".

Only to find that they look like Norman Bates' mother when you meet them in person.

killjoy32 wrote:so what was it for john?

The sticker was for recommending ImageShack® - Online Photo and Video Hosting to post some higher resolution images.

Her words were "I don't imagine it's worth anything".

And it probably isn't. Unless stormber was selling it! :wink:

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Fri Mar 11, 2005 11:04 am 

johnhuck wrote:Her words were "I don't imagine it's worth anything".

And it probably isn't. Unless stormber was selling it! :wink:

Heh.  I might have to ask him to run my auctions, everything he touches seems to turn to gold. :)  Of course it's nice stuff to begin with...

YIM  

Verbose Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Fri Mar 11, 2005 11:07 am 

Bella wrote:Hi John,

I'm up in Scotland for an auction. In my business you either have to go to the auctions in person or rely on the catalogue for a description and bid blind. With big lots I like to go so I can bid in person, and I get the chance to rummage around too. On top of that, there's a whole city full of charity shops to be looted (tomorrow). All in all I hope to fill the car before I head back down on Sunday.

I'm glad you got your sticker.

As regards the auction, I got to talking to a lot of bidders, some nice and some not so nice, and I just had to choose one. It didn't really come down to the money. It wasn't anything anyone said or did, I just picked one.

If there's anything to be learned it's 'stick to what you know' (me that is).

Anyone had chance to meet her in Scotland?  Ian?  David?  :twisted:

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Fri Mar 11, 2005 11:09 am 

I am the fool who parted with his money for Bella's delights...well, at least I parted with my money; we'll see what, if anything, arrives in the mail.

Here's what Bella says is on the way for my $600 (her spelling and descriptions, not mine):

"The Jade Hare in excelent condition

Tegel Manor 1st edition complete and in excelent condition

Palace of the Vampire Queen - maybe a photocopy sealed in ziplock

White Dwarf Issue 2 excelent condition

White Dwarf Issue 6 in excelent condition

Dungeoneers magazines, Wizards Aide and City State".

Okay, please refrain from laughing too loudly.   :)

I may get the shaft, I realize, but I enjoy this sort of gamble.  After receiving Bella's email notifying everyone that the auction was cancelled, but that she would take private bids, I got on the phone with all of my credit card holders.  Seems Am Ex has the best policies regarding refunds on fraud, misleading descriptions, etc., and will even cover you if the item is accidentally damaged/destroyed by you after you receive it (Visa and Mastercard have more restrictive policies).

Anyway, I would like to know if anyone has advice on how to go about having the authenticity of the PoVQ investigated once (or rather if) I receive it.  I'm operating under the assumption that it's a 3rd print, but if it's junk I want to know asap.  Also, one of the photos showed a price sticker from what appears to be a shop in Yakima, WA.  I searched on Google and found a couple of hobby shops in Yakima that I might call.  It would be interesting to try to track down the source of the PoVQ, so if anyone has any suggestions, I'd be grateful.

Thanks,

Stephen

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Fri Mar 11, 2005 11:15 am 

johnhuck wrote:And it probably isn't. Unless stormber was selling it! :wink:

The Collector's Trove Presents the John Huck Sticker Collection!

The Collector's Trove has been authorized to auction the collection of John Huck. These items were acquired during John's umpteen years as an collector of TSR roleplaying games, a hobby that he discovered at school, and continued through a lifetime of role playing geekdom.

Each lot comes with its own unique Letter of Authentication personally signed and dated by John.... Blah blah blah blah blah.

During his time at blah blah blah blah, blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah. Blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah very rare. This is a once in a lifetime opportunity to own blah blah blah blah blah blah.

Blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah Gary Gygax himself. Blah blah blah blah blah blah, blah blah blah blah blah blah gods of our hobby. Blah blah blah blah blah blah blah. Blah blah blah and its still sticky too. Blah blah blah, blah blah blah blah blah blah from the personal collection of John Huck.

:D

This week I've been mostly eating . . . The white ones with the little red flecks in them.

PreviousNext