Value of rare Judges Guild items (sealed Tac Cards, etc).
Author

Collector

Post Posted: Sat Jan 15, 2005 2:12 pm 

I'm considering selling most of my collection in anticipation of a move, and was curious about the approximate value of the following rarer pieces:

Original, sealed, green-cover copy of the 140 card Dungeon Tac Cards set. Has the #2 written on the plastic. You may have seen a  picture of this on Afterglow's non-TSR D&D page...the picture is actually of my set. I sent him the picture back about 4 years ago.

http://www.stud.uni-hamburg.de/users/af ... jg_002.jpg

Original version of City State of the Invincible Overlord, with all the seperate books, sheets, and big maps, in excellent condition.

Original version of Tegel Manor (small orange book with maps).

The First Fantasy Campaign, first printing, in excellent condition.

Judges Shield, in fair condition.

The Dark Tower, in excellent condition.

Thanks.

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Sat Jan 15, 2005 2:42 pm 

Extremely variable. Most of the items you mentioned are worth a fair amount. What printing of CSIO is it?

If you hit a Rowsdower, you get to keep it.

Collector

Post Posted: Sat Jan 15, 2005 2:54 pm 

Deadlord36 wrote:Extremely variable. Most of the items you mentioned are worth a fair amount. What printing of CSIO is it?

First printing.

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Sat Jan 15, 2005 7:29 pm 

the JG Codex does list some values for the various books they detail.  I have no idea how accurate/current they are, but the site's at
Judges Guild Codex...Every item produced in the 70's-80's

Allan Grohe ([email protected])
Greyhawk, grodog Style

Editor and Project Manager, Black Blade Publishing
https://www.facebook.com/BlackBladePublishing/

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Sat Jan 15, 2005 8:09 pm 

Is the booklet brown with a picture of a city?

Collector

Post Posted: Sun Jan 16, 2005 4:12 pm 

Deadlord36 wrote:Is the booklet brown with a picture of a city?

Yes, assuming you mean the Guide to the City State.

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sun Jan 16, 2005 4:44 pm 

Sounds like you've got a first edition of City State, and Tegel Manor. Do you have any of the Wilderlands series? Magic Realms?

I'd be willing to go to $100 on a 1st edition City State if the condition warranted it, maybe $80 on Tegel Manor, $20 or so for the Judges Shield.

I don't know how much a set of Tac Cards is worth. An opened set in excelent condition recently sold on eBay for about $50.

Why not print a list of what you have?

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Sun Jan 16, 2005 6:21 pm 

Heh, I know of one U.K.er who was steamed I got my 1st print CSIO dirt cheap. They are VERY few and far between. I know of two personally. They are easily rarer than the Wee Warriors items.

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sun Jan 16, 2005 6:36 pm 

There have been 2 first CSIO on eBay in the past three months.

The first was a UK seller, and sold for £63. It was in practically mint condition and complete. I missed that one by a few pounds, but I got a 1st edition Tegel Manor (NM) and 1st edition My First Fantasy Campaign (EX-) from the same seller. No link I'm affraid as the buyer never left feedback on the sellers account.

The second went for $80.
cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewIte ... RK:MEDW:IT
With a truely butchered 1E Tegel Manor going for $40.
cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewIte ... RK:MEDW:IT

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Sun Jan 16, 2005 9:23 pm 

A complete set of P.O. Box address cards are by far the rarest Judges Guild item. Not to be confused with the street address latter print cards.

As far as the original CSIO, it is very rare to find a complete set in the bag. I have one and have only seen a few others.

The value of these items is debatable. I guess it would have to be determined by the market at the time, i.e. two or more determined JG collectors bidding. Or you might get one at a steal. The JG market hasn't been hammered out on these rarer items.

JMO 8)

"Its either a wand to cast Bigby's Hand spells or a +3 backscratcher. We're not sure which."

Collector

Post Posted: Mon Jan 17, 2005 11:51 am 

Yes, my CSIO is complete, I'd say in NM condition, in the (original?) plastic bag.

That is the picture of my set of cards that you posted. The "#2" is written on the unopened plastic bag, not on the card itself.

Has anyone physically established whether the yellow or the green set came first? I always thought the green set was earlier, since the face card states it as being 140 cards, but their later catalogs claiming the Tac Cards as a 135 card set. I'll check the address listed in the CSIO supplement to be sure.

The only other rarer JG items I have are two sets of early Ready Ref Sheets, in NM condition. I believe I have a copy of Installment T/Frontier Forts of Kelnore that's still in the envelope, but I'll have to check to be sure when I get home.

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Wed Jan 19, 2005 8:30 am 

JG860 Wraith Overlord comes as a 112 page book with a 22"x34" loose map. Can anyone tell me what map is meant to come with the module.

The copy I have just bought has a large City State city map (single sided) in with it. I suspect this is the wrong map, although it was sold to me as 'in original shrinkwrap'.

I was expexting a large double sided map with all the sewers, dungeons and tombs on it.

Anyone know what's meant to be with this module?

Sage Collector

Post Posted: Fri Jan 21, 2005 5:12 pm 

mbassoc2003 wrote:There have been 2 first CSIO on eBay in the past three months.

The first was a UK seller, and sold for £63. It was in practically mint condition and complete. I missed that one by a few pounds, but I got a 1st edition Tegel Manor (NM) and 1st edition My First Fantasy Campaign (EX-) from the same seller. No link I'm affraid as the buyer never left feedback on the sellers account.

CSIO from that recent seller was £62 (£63 would have won it) :
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... 5933018002
(included the "I" and "J" booklets which a previous seller had sold individually; Mike <invincible> would know:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... 5923621242 ;
although the brown "guide book" and maps from that sale went "cheaper"
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... 5923621261
Total for "guide book", I + J from that sale being $78 )

The Tegel mentioned above was £31:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... 5933025737

Recent seller also had a few early journals ( http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... 5933053124 ) and such like.

I thought all those recent prices were on the "high side" (by 25% or so), to be honest. Was right at my max for the CSIO and only bid that much because I totally fluffed the previous sale...
The first four journals (NM; 1976/77), for example, were a couple of bucks each (!) from the earlier seller:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... 5929602599
and the First Fantasy Campaign (NM) was $22 :
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... 5923621272

For ref., Wilderlands of High Fantasy (NM) was $21 :
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... 5923621283
Best, IMHO, (aside from the journals) was an original ("M") Modron (NM) at $8 :
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... 5923621253

Regards,
David. ("still not here")

p.s. I thought that other CSIO "in the past three months" was the set which had been going around for some time and was incomplete and had other faults (someone here returned it previously, no?). Can't remember for sure...[/i]

Sage Collector

Post Posted: Fri Jan 21, 2005 5:23 pm 

m03 wrote:Yes, my CSIO is complete, I'd say in NM condition, in the (original?) plastic bag. That is the picture of my set of cards that you posted. The "#2" is written on the unopened plastic bag, not on the card itself

The #2 is, of course, the original JG stock number...

m03 wrote:Has anyone physically established whether the yellow or the green set came first? I always thought the green set was earlier, since the face card states it as being 140 cards, but their later catalogs claiming the Tac Cards as a 135 card set.

*chuckles*. Dunno about "later", but if you check your CSIO (does that only go up to stock #17, or otherwise??), it's already listed as "135 cards" there.

Are there really 140 cards in your pack?? *vbeg* :lol:

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Fri Jan 21, 2005 5:55 pm 

Here's another Tegel. This one is a beauty....
cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem& ... RK:MEWN:IT
and another....
cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem& ... RK:MEDW:IT
But that one was hole punched through both the book and maps.

A CSIO..
I was really bitter on not winning that one. I was on holiday on a cruise, and I didn't have internet access.

And at the moment there's two 2nd edition Magic Realms on eBay....
cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem& ... RK:MEBI:IT

And two First Fantasy's....

Unfortunately, I haven't seen a first edition copy of The First Fantasy Campaign on eBay in a while (The 96 page 1977 copy, not the 64 page 1980 copy).
Let me know if anyone sees one.

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Fri Jan 21, 2005 6:12 pm 

mbassoc2003 wrote:Unfortunately, I haven't seen a first edition copy of The First Fantasy Campaign on eBay in a while (The 96 page 1977 copy, not the 64 page 1980 copy).

Any difference in the content between the two different editions?

Allan Grohe ([email protected])
Greyhawk, grodog Style

Editor and Project Manager, Black Blade Publishing
https://www.facebook.com/BlackBladePublishing/

Sage Collector

Post Posted: Fri Jan 21, 2005 6:22 pm 

mbassoc2003 wrote:A CSIO..
I was really bitter on not winning that one. I was on holiday on a cruise, and I didn't have internet access.

Hmm... I'd been led to believe that one was incomplete/damaged/??, but just noticed it's Tadashi's, so that can't be the case, surely...
Heh, whatever!

mbassoc2003 wrote:Unfortunately, I haven't seen a first edition copy of The First Fantasy Campaign on eBay in a while (The 96 page 1977 copy, not the 64 page 1980 copy).
Let me know if anyone sees one.

*points above*. $22, NM.

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Fri Jan 21, 2005 6:24 pm 

Maybe I'm lucky I didn't win it. I wanted the one you got from Keith. I hadn't expected your final bid. How high were you prepared to go on that?

I got his first edition First Fantasy Campaign and Tegel Manor though, so I did okay. I'd have liked the Journals as well.

Next