CSIO Kickstarter & Original Caverns of Thracia (cleaned up)
Author

Active Collector

Post Posted: Fri Mar 14, 2014 9:23 pm 

Kickstarter Link: City State of the Invincible Overlord by Judges Guild — Kickstarter

Current Progress:

Just letting you all know that we are about to launch a Kickstarter for the City State of the Invincible Overlord (JG Universal/Pathfinder displayed side-by-side) and to redo our Campaign Maps. A link is here for the facebook page for updates regarding that:

https://www.facebook.com/JudgesGuildKickstarter

Also, I've completely cleaned up the original Caverns of Thracia (even completely redoing some maps that could not be saved by Photoshop). It is available at RPGNow for $6.50. I've been tasked with cleaning up our original products using this same approach to eventually make good quality PDFs. This PDF has been described by fans as:

This is a freaking work of art ... !

The maps are really clear and very well done! This is soooo worth the small price tag! All rewritten and easily used with any system. This is a great looking module!

rpg.drivethrustuff.com/product/127336/C ... _id=205243

Last edited by rbledsaw3 on Wed Mar 26, 2014 1:32 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Verbose Collector

Post Posted: Fri Mar 14, 2014 10:38 pm 

I'm in.  Mmmm, maps :)

I draw the line at collecting... D&D Towels.

Did we need: Jade Magi Sewer Crawl

Shoulda been: ".. from Pangreenia to Floratopolis, from mystical Treeonia of spectral Forests to Schruborial dimensions."  - The Forests of Leng

Grandstanding Collector
JG Valuation Board
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sat Mar 15, 2014 1:42 am 

Sheese, right after I had made a decision to never back a kickstarter again...
Anticipate this Kickstarter with great expectations.

"Guys, I am starting to think Tegel Manor might be haunted..."
Stated by me as a PC during a run of Tegel Manor DMed by killjoy at NTRPGCon 2010

Charter Member of the ATM

Prolific Collector
JG Valuation Board
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Mon Mar 17, 2014 2:50 pm 

Robert - I have a couple of questions.

1) Are the updated PDFs (I.E. Thracia) searchable text and can the text be cut and pasted?

2) The mountains shown in the sample map are rendered in two different styles.  Is this intentional or are part of the mountains complete and the rest is a work in progress?

Active Collector

Post Posted: Mon Mar 17, 2014 6:45 pm 

leadjunkie wrote in CSIO Kickstarter & Original Caverns of Thracia (cleaned up):Robert - I have a couple of questions.

1) Are the updated PDFs (I.E. Thracia) searchable text and can the text be cut and pasted?

2) The mountains shown in the sample map are rendered in two different styles.  Is this intentional or are part of the mountains complete and the rest is a work in progress?

1) Yessir. The Text has be all OCR'd and proofed for typos. (Attached is a 2 page sample)

2) Yes, a small portion is finished. The majority of the map is still a WIP.

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Tue Mar 18, 2014 5:04 pm 

Okay, the heavy black lines at the bottom of the page of text really kill it. I know we all wrote in felt tipped pens in the 80's, but if you're going to re-release a cleaned up version of the original CSIO, you need to visit the typesetting and here. Especially if the book is full of such 'notes' areas. How about a much finer line for those who can't write in a straight line unaided, or a blank box with a fine line around it. I can only imagine in the 80's we needed thick black lines to know where to write because the how bad the glass was in our glasses. :D

It'll certainly be interesting to compare this edition to Necromancer's CSIO which included the additional CSIO supplement. Necromancer were always good at presenting their cartography, and typesetting, and at $75 it was a gift. After a good bit of reading it supplanted my Revised CSIO as my preferred gaming copy. It'll be interesting to see how this version compares.

This week I've been mostly eating . . . minestrone soup.

Sage Collector
Valuation Board

Post Posted: Wed Mar 19, 2014 3:02 am 

Great piece of news!
I am in... has the KS already started? If not, by when it will be online?
Ciaooo

I am the servant of the Secret Maps, Wielder of the flame of Clone!
You cannot quote! The dark spam will not avail you, flame of Udun.
Go back to the Shadow! You... cannot... post!!!

Active Collector

Post Posted: Thu Mar 20, 2014 10:40 pm 

mbassoc2003 wrote in CSIO Kickstarter & Original Caverns of Thracia (cleaned up):Okay, the heavy black lines at the bottom of the page of text really kill it. I know we all wrote in felt tipped pens in the 80's, but if you're going to re-release a cleaned up version of the original CSIO, you need to visit the typesetting and here. Especially if the book is full of such 'notes' areas. How about a much finer line for those who can't write in a straight line unaided, or a blank box with a fine line around it. I can only imagine in the 80's we needed thick black lines to know where to write because the how bad the glass was in our glasses. :D

It'll certainly be interesting to compare this edition to Necromancer's CSIO which included the additional CSIO supplement. Necromancer were always good at presenting their cartography, and typesetting, and at $75 it was a gift. After a good bit of reading it supplanted my Revised CSIO as my preferred gaming copy. It'll be interesting to see how this version compares.

Regarding the lines; it is what is it man haha.  :lol: I am making a note to revisit those parts if we get this in print again. I don't recall them being prominent in any of the CSIO versions and those were purely typeset as I remember.

aia wrote in CSIO Kickstarter & Original Caverns of Thracia (cleaned up):Great piece of news!
I am in... has the KS already started? If not, by when it will be online?
Ciaooo

We've been wanting to launch since early February, but the company who engaged us to do minis for the project has been dragging their heels on getting a contract to us for a month and a half. I sent a final notice to the guy, so we'll be launching this Saturday (March 22nd) at 12:00 PM (CST) with or without them.

Active Collector

Post Posted: Sat Mar 22, 2014 12:47 pm 

Well crap, still waiting on Kickstarter to approve it before launch. Will keep all posted!

Collector

Post Posted: Sat Mar 22, 2014 7:58 pm 

I'll still be ready to go when you are.  The delay doesn't change that at all.

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sun Mar 23, 2014 12:11 pm 

The prominent lines were a feature of the original paste ups and the printing on newsprint. The error would be to try to reprint that 'stylee' just to try to mimic the newsprint feel using a laserjet printer on today's smooth printer. You'll find the crisp edges to modern typefaces make the whole package want to look professional, and if you keep to 1980's newsprint graphics and typesetting without moving forward with the times, you'll end up with a product that feels as though it was done at minimal effort and feels cheap.

Just my 2c. I can see you don't want to go all out like Necromancer did, and you're presumably not trying to sell it at $80 a pop. I'm just offering a graphical perspective on how to avoid the newbee/amateur errors many small press outfits step into.

The map is good. I'd be up for buying a stack of those without the book, but again, the cover of the book looks like a scanned copy of the original filtered through Paintshop Pro. I assume it's a mockup for promo purposes and look forward to seeing this project develop.

Active Collector

Post Posted: Tue Mar 25, 2014 12:18 am 

Here's the link!!!

http://kck.st/1eG0Nyp

I launched this from work, and unfortunately this Forum is blocked by the webfilter. So sorry for the delay.

mbassoc2003 wrote in CSIO Kickstarter & Original Caverns of Thracia (cleaned up):The prominent lines were a feature of the original paste ups and the printing on newsprint. The error would be to try to reprint that 'stylee' just to try to mimic the newsprint feel using a laserjet printer on today's smooth printer. You'll find the crisp edges to modern typefaces make the whole package want to look professional, and if you keep to 1980's newsprint graphics and typesetting without moving forward with the times, you'll end up with a product that feels as though it was done at minimal effort and feels cheap.

Just my 2c. I can see you don't want to go all out like Necromancer did, and you're presumably not trying to sell it at $80 a pop. I'm just offering a graphical perspective on how to avoid the newbee/amateur errors many small press outfits step into.

The map is good. I'd be up for buying a stack of those without the book, but again, the cover of the book looks like a scanned copy of the original filtered through Paintshop Pro. I assume it's a mockup for promo purposes and look forward to seeing this project develop.

Totally understand where you are coming from. This wasn't intended to be a full scale project as of now. It was more of a thing where Clovis Kell hit me up for it and I whipped this out in a little under a week. I spent maybe 25 hours total on it.

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Tue Mar 25, 2014 3:51 pm 

Well, looks like you've got yourself a full scale project now. :D  This thing's gonna take over you life for the next six to nine months. Good luck with the Kickstarter.

Active Collector

Post Posted: Wed Mar 26, 2014 10:33 am 

Verbose Collector
JG Valuation Board

Post Posted: Wed Mar 26, 2014 9:16 pm 

My pledge is in! Looking forward to seeing this in print again!  :D

Check out my Chaosium sourcebook.
Secrets of Tibet

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Sat Apr 05, 2014 11:11 pm 

Wow! I am impressed by the Kickstarter's progress and very pleased for the Bobs that support has come from so many JG fans. Y'all are doing a great job of fulfilling a dream that Bob wanted to see done--the campaign maps republished. He said people kept wanting the exact same look to fill in gaps.

Not sure if I told the story in my Q&A section (if I did you can see if the story is grossly different here!) but Bob came to me about 12 years ago when I was deep in mapping Normandy for miniature games (similar in size, the series was the equivalent of 20 JG maps in full color and 4 different hex-width sizes!) He wanted to see if we could humanly redraw the wilderlands digitally and just 1 ink color. (Since we had given up on the printers finding the negatives or plates).

I remember how that Saturday that we went to the travel agency where the Mac was and I showed him how we could mimic much of the original maps' look and feel in Illustrator. Then I said how about we take turns drawing (tracing really) for like 2-4 hours at a stint and just go all weekend--day and night! It was a wild gesture on my part and one which I would have completed in my obsessive way once started. It's a testimony for our unique chemistry that I would do that with so little regard for the mind-numbingness of the project.

He demurred and at the time I guessed that maybe he just didn't want to go to the trouble. But with a little distance and a bit more awareness of his empathetic nature, I am now guessing that he didn't want me to invest so much in something that was really his burden. Actually it would have been fine because I would have been pleased to help carry that and see it through. After all I had had a feeling of "ownership" that was not really released by selling my half of JG.

Now though, I can see that it may have been for the best because this newly re-imagined full-color world might not have to come to be! So a misty bittersweet miss blooms into a sunlit upland garden!

Thanks to all of you who are pledging and investing!

Bob's buddy

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Sun Apr 13, 2014 1:55 pm 

Hello Bob Jr & III,

I just made my pledge, which was for all of the hard copies that will be created ... not much of a PDF guy ;-)  Just an aside, it would be great to get Bill Owen's signature on the hard cover book as well. I realize that he is not in the "neighborhood", so to speak, but he was integral part of the original material. If it is all feasible, it would be a nice touch, in my opinion, to be able to include his signature as well on the first 150 copies.

Either way, I want to thank all of you for making this project a reality and look forward to its completion wholeheartedly.

All my best - Paul

"Okay, we turn the corner and see a Purple 'WHAT' !?!" . . (the DM rolls a 20 or so he says) . . It all went black right after that.

[email protected]

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Mon Apr 14, 2014 2:16 pm 

It's nice of you to think of me w/r/t signing the books. The chance that I would be passing through the time that the boxes arrive is indeed pretty remote. The only things I can think of are: a sticker, a certificate of authenticity or print them here in Uruguay!

Then I could sign. The sticker strikes me as objectionable to some (most) as its glue could sort of "go bad" and ruin the book or just fall out with age leaving a tan mark--happened on some my collection by the time it was sold 30-40 years later.

The certificate is something I did with the help of Bob Jr already when I had occasion to rerun a bunch of No-Name City Maps in Decatur but wasn't going to back for signing (and there was no reasonable place to print blueprints in Belize).

Now, here in Uruguay they do really nice printing work and if we could get them printed before everyone leaves for the summer then the savings might allow me to pack them up as additional luggage and fly them up! Or it could horribly wrong or with a 4 month delay when people get back from the beach. Or if we want quality, timeliness and savings, maybe Bob should fly me to Singapore to pick them up.

PS Being in the travel business, I have done some bizarre things besides picking up most of the JG materials in a limousine... like flying to California where a specialty item was printed, pick them up in my aunt's cadillac convertible and head to LAX and checked'em in ...all to save a few days! My body may be older but I still think this way. :)

Bob's buddy