Standby for Gazetteer of Hell
Author

Active Collector

Post Posted: Wed Oct 30, 2013 10:57 pm 

We will be releasing the first of the Gazetteers of Hell next week.  This will be a single product comprising the innermost sections of Hell, Circle 7, The Desert of Fire, Circle 8, The Trenches of Torment, Circle 9, Frozen Cocytus and Lucifer, with a brief description of the escape from Hell to the Material Plane.  We expect this product to be about 125 working pages.  The maps in Gazetteer are consistent with those in the completed Inferno, at a scale of 2 miles to the hex.

Geoff

Verbose Collector
JG Valuation Board
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Thu Oct 31, 2013 2:37 pm 

Sweet!   :D

RPG’s, D&D in particular has had a major influence in my life. It’s bonded me together with life long friends...it’s that bond in life not just as friends, but in our jokes, our mannerisms, and what we find funny. Invincible Overlord

Long-Winded Collector
Subweb Admin
JG Valuation Board

Post Posted: Thu Oct 31, 2013 4:35 pm 

Good to know.

ShaneG.

I reject your reality and substitute my own

Verbose Collector

Post Posted: Fri Nov 01, 2013 8:39 am 

Will this be a print item?

Please post purchase details.  I'm in :)

I draw the line at collecting... D&D beach towels.

Shoulda been: ".. from Pangreenia to Floratopolis, from mystical Treeonia of spectral Forests to Schruborial dimensions." - The Forests of Leng

Active Collector

Post Posted: Fri Nov 01, 2013 9:52 am 

All of our products are offered as PDF files, all black-and-white (trying not to use up the color cartridges on your printer).  It will NOT be a print item, at least to start.  The only print items we've ever done were for the North Texas RPG Con {plug for the Con - first weekend in June, in Dallas-Fort Worth}.

Purchase details are a little sketchy right now.  Purchase will be from out page on DriveThruRPG.  Price TBD, but probably in the $7-$9 range.

Art Devil tells me he has finished layout for all of the text, he's finishing up the random encounter tables now.

Geoff

PS.  I do have six or seven print copies of Inferno 1980 and and a few Town Generator copies left over from the last Con.  I also have print posters (1 x 2 FT) we did of monster art (three styles).

Verbose Collector

Post Posted: Fri Nov 01, 2013 12:10 pm 

Ok, thanks for the reply anyway!

If you reconsider the print option, I'll buy one for sure.  

I don't know how easy they are to deal with from the author side, but I've picked up a number of books lately from Drive Thru, their shipping prices are much better than Lulu and their service has been very good to me so far.

Good luck!

Shoulda been: ".. from Pangreenia to Floratopolis, from mystical Treeonia of spectral Forests to Schruborial dimensions." - The Forests of Leng

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Mon Nov 04, 2013 8:56 pm 

Geoff Dale wrote in Standby for Gazetteer of Hell:We will be releasing the first of the Gazetteers of Hell next week.  This will be a single product comprising the innermost sections of Hell, Circle 7, The Desert of Fire, Circle 8, The Trenches of Torment, Circle 9, Frozen Cocytus and Lucifer, with a brief description of the escape from Hell to the Material Plane.  We expect this product to be about 125 working pages.  The maps in Gazetteer are consistent with those in the completed Inferno, at a scale of 2 miles to the hex.

Geoff

Hi Geoff, you said the "completed Inferno". I know that there was talk some time ago about completing the Inferno module. Is this "that" project or a different one? If different, was the original Inferno ever completed? I am also in the PRINTED camp, so if/when you have printed copies, please let me know. I would also be interested in the printed copies you mentioned in the prior post.

Thanks in Advance - Paul

"Okay, we turn the corner and see a Purple 'WHAT' !?!" . . (the DM rolls a 20 or so he says) . . It all went black right after that.

[email protected]

Active Collector

Post Posted: Tue Nov 05, 2013 9:49 pm 

The Inferno module is complete.  The Gazetteer(s) are a related project, using the same background information (see Gehenna Primer), and geography.  In part this is an answer to play-testers having trouble visualizing where things were in Hell from the maps we prepared for the module.  So these maps show the Circles in much more detail.  I put all of the locations mentioned in the module into Gazetteer, though with virtually no details.

Each entry in Gazetteer is intended to be an interesting place that a Games Master can take and expand into an adventuring site, if they should so choose.  Here are a few Circle 8 examples,

9.        Boragyt Armory. A one-story green stone building holding a forge and two rooms of weapons (150 spears, 120 javelins, 80 long bows, 1250 arrows, 200 darts, 40 crossbows, 560 bolts, 10 slings, 300 pieces of shot, 90 scimitars, 40 cutlasses, 20 long swords, 12 bastard swords). The armory is guarded by six Type 8A Devils. On 1d12 rolls GTET 9 the armory is attended by Gyffard (male Dwarf, Master Smith).

10.        A 6 FT by 7 FT tunnel into the earth leads to a twenty-room complex inhabited by 300 Fire-Breathing Ants (HD1d10, AC12). Inside is found 132 SP, 46 GP, 4 pieces of onyx (102 GP, 184 GP, 385 GP, 838 GP), a black pearl (11,583 GP), and a Greater Healing Potion.

11.        Paveya Ruins. The remains of a three-story black stone manor, the west wall is largely missing, and the roof has several holes. An underground room off the kitchen has two barrels of salted meat (60 wholesome meals). The ruin is inhabited by Death Beetles (HD6, AC44, fatal poison), Giant Blood Sucking Bugs (HD1, AC14), Giant Spiders (HD3, AC20), and Poison Caterpillars (HD2, AC8).

12.        Nine tall rectangular white rocks, each one 20 FT to 30 FT tall by 8 FT across, with auras of enchantment. Touching the third rock causes an Adventurer to be able to walk through stone for the subsequent hour (save 1d20 roll GTET [33-Stamina]).

13.        The Palace of Zimidar, Prince of Hell. The palace is a four-story red brick structure surrounded by a red stone wall, with gardens of red roses. Zimidar's Seneschal is Lurivanengo (Type 8C Devil). The staff consists of 25 Common Devils, 22 Ordinary Devils, 9 Type 8C Devils, 11 type 8B Devils, and 14 Zoybim. He also employs 5 Centaurs of Hell, 3 Harpies of Hell, 7 Minotaur, and 2 Fire Giants. Zimidar collects rare books about plants.

14.        A monument to Yosmen Rawli, Diabolic General, deceased 6387 years. The monument consists of black pavement, four black stone cylinders, 12 FT high by 5 FT thick, surrounded by a ring of black metal spears. Yosmen is remembered for leading a charge against an elite unit of Trolls at the Battle of Furgen Lakes.

15.        A one-story blue stone Gaol with ten cells, a guard room and an officer's room. An underground section has five additional cells. The gaol is commanded by Lodwic (Daitywas), with a garrison of four Type 8A Devils, three Ordinary Devils, a Common Devil, and a Zoybim. The Gaol has 1d8 prisoners as determined by 1d10: (1) Type 8A Devil, (2) Type 8B Devil, (3) Type 8C Devil, (4) Iblis, (5) Romatyas, (6) Zoybim, (7) Harpy of Hell, (8) Human, (9) Elf, (10) Dwarf.

16.        Camp Ilinnosk. A three-story brown stone building with one underground level, the headquarters of Infernal Legion VIII (General  Hiisu). The garrison consists of twenty Common Devils, eight Ordinary Devils, twelve Daityas, fifteen Iblis, eight squads of Romatyas, eleven Zoybim, fifteen Centaurs of Hell, and six Ogres. The camp has a kennel with nine Infernal Hounds.

17.        Garden of Teetor. A square area 1000 FT on a side, surrounded by a 5 FT white stone wall, two entrance arches are on each side. Mortals walking in the garden are attacked by entangling vines that suddenly grow up (avoid 1d20 roll GTET [31-Agility], checked every 2d12 rounds). The yellow fruit of the Malgty Tree cures diseases, its squeezed juice repels giant insects.

I did get some quotes for printing the Inferno module, and we are talking something like $60 per copy just for the printing, not to mention shipping, paying the artists, and a little profit.  I don't know about you, but I think that's high, even for a 200+ page book.

Geoff

Verbose Collector
JG Valuation Board
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Wed Nov 06, 2013 1:04 pm 

Geoff Dale wrote in Standby for Gazetteer of Hell:The Inferno module is complete.  The Gazetteer(s) are a related project, using the same background information (see Gehenna Primer), and geography.  In part this is an answer to play-testers having trouble visualizing where things were in Hell from the maps we prepared for the module.  So these maps show the Circles in much more detail.  I put all of the locations mentioned in the module into Gazetteer, though with virtually no details.

I did get some quotes for printing the Inferno module, and we are talking something like $60 per copy just for the printing, not to mention shipping, paying the artists, and a little profit.  I don't know about you, but I think that's high, even for a 200+ page book.

Geoff

You'd be surprised with some of the collectors here... I'm not saying it wouldn't happen, but you might want to put out a feeler for interest. I myself prefer hard cover over PDF.

RPG’s, D&D in particular has had a major influence in my life. It’s bonded me together with life long friends...it’s that bond in life not just as friends, but in our jokes, our mannerisms, and what we find funny. Invincible Overlord

Verbose Collector

Post Posted: Wed Nov 06, 2013 7:58 pm 

I would think at $75 or so, you'd find buyers, who knows how many - maybe 20 or so? - if it was somehow 'limited' or numbered/signed or somehow designated as a 'collectors' print edition.  I'd be up for one :)

Prolific Collector
JG Valuation Board
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Fri Nov 08, 2013 4:20 pm 

I would be in on that too.

Active Collector

Post Posted: Fri Nov 08, 2013 7:09 pm 

Art Devil sent me the finished file this morning to do a editor check.  I see a couple of edits that he might be able to do tomorrow morning (he's on the road between Dallas and Houston right now, and I'm stuck in an airport in Kansas).  It won't be long before Gazetteer is made available.

Geoff

Verbose Collector

Post Posted: Fri Nov 08, 2013 11:09 pm 

i have no interest in a pdf. but for the long-awaited full version of Inferno, sure i'd be happy to payup for a nice hardcopy. all the more so it was a limited edition. get a kickstarter started!

Shrink is not a condition

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Sun Nov 10, 2013 12:11 pm 

Geoff Dale wrote in Standby for Gazetteer of Hell:I did get some quotes for printing the Inferno module, and we are talking something like $60 per copy just for the printing

That seems very high for a hardcover's printing cost. Is supposed to have a color interior? If not, lulu.com charges $20.50 to print a single 200 page hardcover. Add shipping and you're still less than $30, for a (really inefficient) run of one unit. (And you can find cheaper printing prices for similar quality, if you live near a major metropolitan area of the U.S., and especially if you can print at least 100 at a time.)

Guy Fullerton
Chaotic Henchmen Productions
http://www.chaotichenchmen.com/

Active Collector

Post Posted: Mon Nov 11, 2013 10:53 am 

I expect Inferno to come in somewhere north of 500 pages.  I broke out Samael's Tower and Oasis of Koessa to bring down the page count.  There is no way I can afford the upfront cost to print a large number locally and keep them in stock.  With my travel schedule, being my own shipping department is not very practical.  I know DriveThruRPG has a print-on-demand option but the same file can't be used for PDF download and printing; I haven't looked at what additional prep work is needed to create a printable file.

Geoff    :evil:

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Mon Nov 11, 2013 10:26 pm 

500 pages!?

Admittedly I haven't followed the threads about the recent version (versions?) of Inferno, but that seems like a lot of content. The original Inferno was 64 pages (with a really inefficient layout). The more recent version is 54 pages (with a somewhat more efficient layout).

Clearly you would have the rest of the circles of hell in a "complete" version of Inferno.

But what accounts for all the rest of the pages?

Are you talking about one book that includes the original (1980) content, plus the rest of the circles, plus the Gazetteer of Hell material? More than that?

Maybe it makes sense to break these up into separate hard covers? I could see myself running all the circles of hell out of a 128 page hardcover, but I'd be hard pressed to want to bring a 500 page hardcover to a session. If it were several books, at least I could have multiple pages laying open at the same time. I think most of us AD&D players do this; maybe have the Monster Manual laying open to a particular creature entry, while the Players Handbook is open to some spell entry, while the DMG is open to a particular magic item entry. I'd hate it if I had that all bound up into one physical book, and couldn't simultaneously reference different portions.

Guy Fullerton
Chaotic Henchmen Productions
http://www.chaotichenchmen.com/

Active Collector

Post Posted: Tue Nov 12, 2013 12:10 pm 

Spellbook Games releases ‘Gazetteer of Hell: Fire and Ice'

Spellbook Games is pleased to announce the release of ‘Gazetteer of Hell: Fire and Ice,' the first in a series that will detail the entire geography of Hell at a fine scale.  Fire and Ice provides maps for the innermost of the Nine Circles of Hell scales of 1 to 2 miles per hex, including Circle 7, the Desert of Fire, Circle 8, the Pits of Torment, and Circle 9, frozen Cocytus, along with Lucifer.  The escape path back to the Material Plane is briefly described.

Information is provided about important denizens of each Circle, the sins and torments, weather, and specific rules pertaining to the physical challenges faced by mortals.  Each map is numbered with interesting locations, such as camps of the Infernal Legions, monuments, Libraries, mines, etc. Each location is only briefly described, but could be developed by a Games Master into a more extensive adventuring area.

Gazetteer shares common campaign background material with the forthcoming Inferno: Journey though Malebolge, and describes the same geography, at a finer scale.  Additional background material helpful for describing the conditions in Hell are found in Spellbook Game's Gehenna Primer and Codicil of Maladies. Information about the Devils and other unique monsters appearing in the Gazetteer can be found in Spellbook Games' Inferno: Bestiary.  Gehenna Primer is available as a FREE download from the Spellbook Game's website, www.spellbookgames.com; Codicil and Bestiary can be purchased as PDF files from DriveThruRPG.com.

Gazetteer of Hell is written for the Spellbook Games RPG rule set, Portal to Adventure, but is usable essentially as is with Advanced Dungeons and Dragons or similar rules.  A Games Master using Dungeons and Dragons versions 3.x or 4, or similar rules, will require some preparations.  The next installment of the Gazetteer series will describe the Fifth and Sixth Circles of Hell, including the swamp Styx, the City of Burning Tombs, the River of Blood, and Wood of Suicides.

106 working pages. $7.25. Now available as a PDF file at DriveThruRPG.com.

Geoff

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Tue Nov 12, 2013 2:08 pm 

Geoff , I want to say congratulations but the dark brown hex background makes it all but unreadable. It needs to be turned off and re-uploaded. It is near unusable as is.

Next