Speculative History
Author

Sage Collector

Post Posted: Wed Aug 22, 2012 2:51 am 

It is documented by Kevin Siembieda that he had originally submitted what would be "Palladium system" to Judges Guild, and they responded with an offer which was declined. I'm curious if anyone else was curious about what "may have been" to the gaming landscape had this not happened (that is, had JG actually published the stuff)... would Judges Guild have continued to this day, perhaps? Would the deal to publish official TSR-compatible products been rescinded due to publishing a competing product?

Those who can, don't. Those who should not, do.

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Mon Sep 03, 2012 5:14 pm 

copycat wrote:It is documented by Kevin Siembieda that he had originally submitted what would be "Palladium system" to Judges Guild, and they responded with an offer which was declined. I'm curious if anyone else was curious about what "may have been" to the gaming landscape had this not happened (that is, had JG actually published the stuff)... would Judges Guild have continued to this day, perhaps? Would the deal to publish official TSR-compatible products been rescinded due to publishing a competing product?

We need a date on the declined offer in order to evaluate the possibilities.

"But I have watched the dragons come, fire-eyed, across the world."

Sage Collector

Post Posted: Tue Sep 04, 2012 5:28 pm 

I do not have a specific date but evidence points to 1979 based on this quote, the link I will provide as well:

Kevin's players urged him to formalize his rules, write the fantasy game and sell it. He did just that, and pitched the idea to every role-playing game company of the day. They all turned him down. Actually, Judges Guild made Kevin an offer that he found much too low to accept. Nonetheless, the owner of Judges Guild liked him and his artwork, and hired him as a freelance illustrator.

Quote Source

I assume, since Kevin did work for Judges Guild for a brief period (1979-1980), the above refers to a time just (maybe a matter of a few months or even weeks) before he submitted any illustrations.

Those who can, don't. Those who should not, do.

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Tue Sep 04, 2012 6:49 pm 

Interesting that Siembieda's most influential and memorable work comes from the "brief period" he worked for Judges Guild.  

From my point of view Paladium Games is all afterglow.

"But I have watched the dragons come, fire-eyed, across the world."