Wilderness Series - Campaign Hexagon system
Author

Prolific Collector
JG Valuation Board
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Thu May 10, 2012 11:32 am 

The Wilderness Series of books (I.E. Mines of Custalcon, etc.) uses the Campaign Hexagon System.  Where the topographies contours are illistrated with hash lines, has anyone found a reference that indicates a standard for the change in elevation?  10'. 20', 100'?  Just curious if there is a standard or if open for each Judge's interpretation.

Long-Winded Collector
Subweb Admin
JG Valuation Board

Post Posted: Thu May 10, 2012 2:24 pm 

I don't think there is a reference with that information.  Even JG240 - The Fantasy Cartographer's Field Book doesn't offer any insight into that.  Up to the Judge I'd say.

ShaneG.

I reject your reality and substitute my own

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Mon May 14, 2012 2:38 pm 

The closest description on how to handle the slopes is the Triumphant Grand Tactical Rules found on page 46 of the Ready Ref Sheets and the back section of the Wilderlands of High Fantasy. It cost so many movement points to cross a particular grade of slope. And it doesn't go into any detail over how to judge that from the wilderness scale maps.

Note also that what the Wilderness style maps use are not Contours. Rather they are more like hachures and denote how steep the slopes are. Something that is obvious when you combine them together.

To draw your own you have to decide how many levels of steepness does the hill have (one, two, or three is typical) and how close the different levels are.