Calling on all Collectors--Judges Guild Top 10
Author

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Thu Nov 04, 2004 3:18 pm 

Any opinions on the top 10 Judges Guild Items not Overlord related? I'm clueless on JG :oops:
Also, any pricing would be appreciated, I want to be informed when I start collecting and to know if I'm getting gouged or getting a good bargain :?

"Ah, you seek meaning? Then listen to the music, not the song."

"I know that you believe that you understood what you think I said, but I am not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant."

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Thu Nov 04, 2004 4:58 pm 

In my opinion the early stuff is the coolest as far as collecting is concerned. The Tac Cards, The lettered installments I,J,K etc., Dave Arneson's First Fantasy Campaign, and the original City-State release are some of my favorites. Playability is good and you get an old D&D feeling just holding them in your hands. The latter modules are great too and can be had for short money $5-$20 at most and most of these had multiple print runs. I'd keep a lookout for lots on eBay they come up regularly.

Invincible 8)

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Thu Nov 04, 2004 5:04 pm 

All of the Wilderlands mods are great.

If you hit a Rowsdower, you get to keep it.

Prolific Collector
Valuation Board

Post Posted: Thu Nov 04, 2004 5:05 pm 

I get the most requests for the cards, the original Blackmoor, and the Paul Jaquays modules.

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Thu Nov 04, 2004 7:37 pm 

darkseraphim wrote:  

I get the most requests for the cards, the original Blackmoor, and the Paul Jaquays modules.

Not exactly a Judges Guild product, but the first eight issues of the Dungeoneer are a must for the Paul Jaquays fan. These digest size fanzines are so cool. Paul does most of the writing, and you can tell how much he and his friends where true enthusiast's of the early game. Aside from the articles each issue has a pre-made adventure; I'm assuming Paul's earliest work. There a great study into the fan-side of the old D&D.

While we're on the subject I have three questions I've been meaning to ask?

1. My set of Tac Cards has a P.O. Box address, and I've seen sets with the Decatur street address as well. I'm assuming there where multiple printings with the P.O. Box being the earlier ones?

Judges Guild Codex pic with P.O. box address: JG2-Dungeon Tac Cards

Afterglow Pic with street address: http://www.stud.uni-hamburg.de/users/af ... jg_002.jpg

2. Has anyone seen a white paper printed Initial Guidelines Booklet I? Not the standard orangey-brown. I have one in a 1976 mailing envelope with the maps, which leads me to believe it's somekind of early printing?

Judges Guild Codex pic: JG3-City State BOOKLET I (large)

3. What is considered the earliest D&D fanzine? The Arlums?  

Invincible 8)

Sage Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Fri Nov 05, 2004 4:06 pm 

I've always collected more adventures than campaign settings, and I can think of two JG adventures that really shine:

1. Dark Tower
2. Caverns of Thracia

Of course, I can also think of 30 that **don't** shine, but that's a topic for another day.

Good luck with your JG collecting (unless you're bidding against me, of course).  8)

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Fri Nov 05, 2004 8:18 pm 

It has been a long time since I played and/or ran JG stuff.

My favorites are pretty bland, I guess:

Thracia
Thieves of Badagaskar (sp?)
Tegal Manor
Dark Tower
Zienteck and Dragons Hall - fun, but not prolific.
There are few others I will add when my horrible memory clicks in.

Worst experience:
Under the Storm Giant's Castle - went through as a player and the DM slaughtered us off by the dozens. Lost at least 10-20 first level characters - separated expeditions!

And I could've bought these damn modules off the 1$ rack!!!

New modules for your Old School game http://pacesettergames.com/

Everything Pacesetter at http://pacesettergames.blog.com/

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sat Nov 06, 2004 4:57 am 

Kosh Vorlontay wrote:Any opinions on the top 10 Judges Guild Items not Overlord related? I'm clueless on JG :oops:
Also, any pricing would be appreciated, I want to be informed when I start collecting and to know if I'm getting gouged or getting a good bargain :?

Best items, in no particular order:

1.  Dark Tower
2.  Caverns of Thracia (both of these have been reissued for 3rd edition, and rightfully so...)
3.  Wraith Overlord
4.  Modron
5. Frontier Forts of Kelnore
6. Verbosh
7. Thieves of Fortress Badabaskor
8. Book of Ruins
9. Book of Treasure Maps I & II
10. Restormel

In general I prefer the town/village/area setting releases by Judge's Guild, as they can be easily adapted for anyone's home campaign (I used the Verbosh book for years in my 80's Greyhawk campaign).  I think most of the adventures are unplayable, badly written, or just not as good as any commercially available product by TSR during the same period.  However since you can usually accumulate these fairly cheaply, you might as well try a few as quality is variable.  
  By far the worst is Under the Storm Giant's Castle, mostly because of the absolutely stupid and ridiculous monsters included (especially the Balloon Men).  

Mike B.

Verbose Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Thu Nov 11, 2004 8:05 am 

The only Wilderlands Accessory that I have is "High Fantasy", but I think it is absolutely great!  I love the maps - they are some of the best hexagonal "land" maps out there.

My set is in decent shape (a little worn) and if I ever were to create a campaign world, I wouldn't hesitate to use them (this means writing extensively on them).

The hex grids are nice and large, numbered and even have a pleasing "ancient map" tan color.  :)

"Gleemonex makes it feel like it's seventy-two degrees in your head... all... the... time! "

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Thu Nov 11, 2004 4:29 pm 

Dark Tower and Caverns of Thracia are as good as any TSR classic.

Tegel Manor is a laugh.

The area settings are decent.

Theres a great adventure buried in "Demons of Dundurn" but its as if they left out 2 or 3 pages crucial pages of explanation. It says its "Part 1 in the Rood Of Parth Series" - were any more parts published?

Thieves of Badabaskor is terrible. Nostalgia value only.

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sun Jul 17, 2005 6:36 pm 

I think that Verbosh is the top of the JG heap.  It has more adventure per page than any similarly-priced module from any company I have seen.  Verbosh is also very funny, with lots in inside jokes for the game master to chuckle over without turning the whole module into a comedy piece.  

Verbosh rules over the other JG products because it combines all three elements that Judges Guild could almost NEVER seem to combine in a single module:  

1)  A detailed city.  
2)  A large, mapped wilderness area with places to explore, kill things and die (including a sunken ship).  
3)   Dungeon areas (three good dungeons, in fact.)

The writers of most other Judges Guild modules just do not seem able to comprehend the need for all three elements.  A few of them leave you thumbing back through, looking for the "adventure" mentioned on the cover.

Other advantages of Verbosh include maps printed inside the booklet (so you don't buy a copy and find out the maps are missing), and a relatively low asking price.

There are also low to high level challenges in the same module, giving the players the feeling that they need to take care, listen for rumors and look before they leap.

Anyway...Verbosh is worth your time even if you just want to read it.

"But I have watched the dragons come, fire-eyed, across the world."

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Sun Jul 17, 2005 7:50 pm 

Random thoughts:

Portals of Twilight is a good concept.

Does anyone out there understand "Demons of Dundurn"?

Is Paul Jaquays' Dragonquest module "The Enchanted Wood" worth getting? (To read/adapt as a D&D adventure)

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sun Jul 17, 2005 8:24 pm 

My list would have to be....

City State of the Invincible Overlord
Winderlands of High Fantasy
Caverns Of Thracia
Wraith Overlord
Wilderlands of the Magic Realms
Islands Book 1
Dark Tower
Wilderlands of the Fantastic Reaches
Wilderlnads Beyonde
City State of the World Emporer

This week I've been mostly eating . . . The white ones with the little red flecks in them.

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Mon Jul 18, 2005 3:56 am 

mine is:

Inferno
Under the Storm Giants Castle
Village Book 1
Hellpits of Nightfang
Wilderlands of the Magic Realms (part 1 & 2)
Verbosh
Temple of Ra - Accursed by Set
City State of the Invincible Overlord
Tarantis
Rat on a Stick

:)

Al

Are we nearly there yet?

Active Collector

Post Posted: Fri Jul 22, 2005 9:54 am 

You forgot Escape form Astigar's Lair

I think it's my non-wilderlands favourite

BJS

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Fri Jul 22, 2005 11:45 am 

killjoy32 wrote:Under the Storm Giants Castle

You've gotta be kidding!

This week I've been mostly eating . . . The white ones with the little red flecks in them.

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Fri Jul 22, 2005 12:36 pm 

mbassoc2003 wrote:
killjoy32 wrote:Under the Storm Giants Castle

You've gotta be kidding!

well we played it and it was a great laugh - sure i think its cool - after all this is MY top 10, not yours  :D

Are we nearly there yet?

Long-Winded Collector
Subweb Admin
JG Valuation Board

Post Posted: Fri Jul 22, 2005 3:15 pm 

killjoy32 wrote:
mbassoc2003 wrote:You've gotta be kidding!

well we played it and it was a great laugh - sure i think its cool - after all this is MY top 10, not yours :D

Was one of the first mods I got for JG, I liked it. Enough to put on my list, well find out:

First Fantasy Campaign
Modron
The Thieves of Fort Badabaskor
Tegel Manor
Dark Tower
Verbosh
Rat on a Stick
Revised City State of the Invincible Overlord Playing Aid (had it before the others, but anyone of them is good)
Wilderlands of the Fantastic Reaches
Any Pegasus magazine or Under the Storm Giants Castle if has to be a single product (there its on the list :) )

In all honestly I haven't read many of the Traveller or scifi products yet. Though I would be interested in knowing what others think are the better ones from those.

ShaneG.

Next