Keeping JG World Alive
Poll: If new JG adventures were produced would you buy them?

Yes 60%       60%  [ 26 ]
No, I like the original stuff 9%       9%  [ 4 ]
Might, I'd like some previews if possible 30%       30%  [ 13 ]
Total votes : 43

Author

Active Collector

Post Posted: Tue Jun 04, 2013 1:21 am 

Hey don't knock those d20 rehash works. They kept JG alive until Bob died in 2008. We tried to get new material approved, but no one would let us write any. Writing new or rewritten material for OSR or Universal will not keep JG alive. To do that it needs to be written for the latest systems. A combined S&W/Pathfinder release might have worked, but like many I fear that ship has sailed. Putting out product that will only sell a few hundred copies isn't good for anyone except people on these forums. The hard core fans will be happy and the collectors if that. This isn't 1976, it is 2013 and there are hundreds of small companies that will sell pdfs in greater volume than your POD. You have to have a certain base of quality in print design now, also artwork and cartography. All of the websites are down and the Bledsaws have burned every bridge with their publishers. I hate to say it after 33 years, 27 of it working for JG, but it is time for me to say Rest In Peace.

Former JG Designer 1981-2008, Former JG Production Design Manager 1999-2008

Active Collector

Post Posted: Tue Jun 11, 2013 8:33 pm 

brvheart wrote in Keeping JG World Alive:Hey don't knock those d20 rehash works. They kept JG alive until Bob died in 2008. We tried to get new material approved, but no one would let us write any. Writing new or rewritten material for OSR or Universal will not keep JG alive. To do that it needs to be written for the latest systems. A combined S&W/Pathfinder release might have worked, but like many I fear that ship has sailed. Putting out product that will only sell a few hundred copies isn't good for anyone except people on these forums. The hard core fans will be happy and the collectors if that. This isn't 1976, it is 2013 and there are hundreds of small companies that will sell pdfs in greater volume than your POD. You have to have a certain base of quality in print design now, also artwork and cartography. All of the websites are down and the Bledsaws have burned every bridge with their publishers. I hate to say it after 33 years, 27 of it working for JG, but it is time for me to say Rest In Peace.

Everyone's entitled to their opinion. The sites were down temporarily only because Godaddy never sent a renewal notice email. As for your statement about needing a base of quality, artwork, and cartography implies that our latest product, Lost Man's Trail, was somehow lacking. I've only seen and heard people say the contrary. If you would care to give some feedback, it would be appreciated instead of generalizations. We offered POD, because that's what everyone wanted at the time. We have not "burned every bridge" with our publishers. The only publisher we've cut ties with is Necromancer (and by association FGG). We have many publishers that would be glad to print anything for us. Only problem is capital. If the d20 rehashes by NG kept JG alive at all, there was but a faint pulse and shallow breath when we came into the business. JG is doing better financially now that the certain revenue hemorrhages have been rooted out and stopped. You also seem to inflate your years with JG..

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Thu Jul 18, 2013 3:21 am 

I have been away from the forums(here and elsewhere)lately, but am eager to return with renewed vigor and motivation.

But I'm kind of confused about the last two posts.

Is JG , indeed, alive and active and back in the saddle again? Other than The Lost Man's trail and CSSK(--I do not consider revamping old material to the d20 system new material, even if it includes newer, by the author additions)...2 things in how many decades?...doesn't seem like much progress. If small indies like me can crank out stuff, what's the hold up here?

Does an OGL of any kind exist for writing JG adventures?

"Here's to swimmin with bowl-legged wimin"

Active Collector

Post Posted: Fri Jul 19, 2013 7:51 pm 

Lost Man's Trail marked the first original JG product in about 25 years. It was release just 2 years after my grandfather had died. I'm sure you understand that it took some time to get things in order, then once we started gaining some steam family issues of another nature arose. It took even more time for our family to adjust to that. I think it should also be mentioned that the Guild when we came into it could not even support 1 person full time. We have day jobs, and I also was working on my Engineering degree full time at some time. It hasn't even been half a decade since we came into the Guild and we've released 2 product and have 3 more on the way. We've also been talking with companies about a line of Wilderlands based miniatures.

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Fri Jul 19, 2013 8:08 pm 

Understand I do. I've had a bit of my own family tragedy this year. So, please do not be offended by my quieries.

I do not claim to know how to run a business--especially one that might actually have employees. But I hope JG succeeds in coming back. Not with a fancy, frilly, shiny new product! however. There are scores of those being cranked out every day by comps and indies all over the place. Part of TSR's reason for toppling, IMO, was that it got entrapped by the $ and satisfying the kiddies that needed shinier toys each month. I'd hate to see JG return if it meant it was attempting to do that.

Active Collector

Post Posted: Fri Jul 19, 2013 11:09 pm 

Thork N Hammer wrote in Keeping JG World Alive:Understand I do. I've had a bit of my own family tragedy this year. So, please do not be offended by my quieries.

I do not claim to know how to run a business--especially one that might actually have employees. But I hope JG succeeds in coming back. Not with a fancy, frilly, shiny new product! however. There are scores of those being cranked out every day by comps and indies all over the place. Part of TSR's reason for toppling, IMO, was that it got entrapped by the $ and satisfying the kiddies that needed shinier toys each month. I'd hate to see JG return if it meant it was attempting to do that.

I couldn't agree more!

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Sun Jul 21, 2013 2:47 am 

Is there anything we--the independent inhouse writer/publishers--can do to help?

Would a Kickstarter program be an option?

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Tue Jul 23, 2013 9:19 pm 

Thork N Hammer wrote in Keeping JG World Alive:Is there anything we--the independent inhouse writer/publishers--can do to help?

The impression I got from previous inquiries is that at this time Judges Guild is closed to the vast majority of outside help with the exception of what is currently being worked on such as CSSK by Chris Bernhardt and the works of Robert Conley. All I can say is that I offered copies of all the OCR/Edit work I had done for Bob Sr back around 2006-2008 and was politely turned down ... so I've archived off all this work plus the modules I had started on with the hopes that Goodman Games would continue partnering with Judges Guild before 4E was announced.  Someday I may start working on the two modules I had started on which contain no current Judges Guild IP and format them for a different campaign setting ... dunno at this point.

YIM  

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Wed Jul 24, 2013 2:01 pm 

Its just a shame that JG should become extinct as TSR has...

(To me the best things about the JG items was the story/background/plots; the newspaper grade; the author-art; and the community. Not the format. That was inconsequential; layout and typeset is subjective and an acquired taste. Some like toe-may--toe, some like toe-mah-ta!)

...if it doesn't have to.

Previous