Supra Sentinels
Author

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Mon Jul 25, 2011 4:57 pm 

As has been mentioned elsewhere, JG went out of business before they could publish Supra Sentinels, which was to be their entry into the blossoming superhero rpg market of the early 1980s. There's a teaser advertisement for it in Pegasus #12 that implies it would not have been far (at that time) from being published.

Does anybody have info about what it would have been like? Who was the author, was it point-build or random-rolled, etc? Has there been any sign of the manuscript showing up in the intervening years?

None of my web searches has turned up relevant info.

(Ironically there are a few comprehensive lists of rpgs out there that incorrectly include Supra Sentinels -- sometimes called Super Sentinels -- among their list of games that were actually published.)

Guy Fullerton
Chaotic Henchmen Productions
http://www.chaotichenchmen.com/

Collector

Post Posted: Tue Aug 19, 2014 11:34 pm 

Hello there!

An interesting conjunction of events has brought me here, as I am one of the co-authors of the game.   As it happens, I have just been contacted by RB II, who was trying to track the book down as well.   Then, just for fun, I did a search on the name of the game (just to see what came up) and I found this post.

To briefly answer some of your questions:

1.  I'd like to think our game was pretty sophisticated for its time, yet less complicated than what we saw as our main (would have been) competitor CHAMPIONS.   It was a point-building system with dice for determining actions (ie. attacks, defense, etc.)   We'd studied the three or so systems out there around the early '80s and came up with what we thought was a pretty darn good game.   We were starting to worry that CHAMPIONS would eclipse us because it was taking so long for JG to get to the point of being able to afford to publish it.

2.   We were, indeed, very close to being in print.   The game would have been out probably 9 months sooner, had I not moved out of town for a job and my co-authors sort of...didn't do much with it to put the finishing touches on it while I was gone.   By the time I moved back into town and got to work on it again, JG was already getting shaky, financially.   The advertisement got us pretty excited.   Then, they went under just as it was about to go to press.   Took a while to get the manuscript back from them, as it had gotten buried under stuff at their location in Illinois.   (This was about 1982 or 83?)  To get that close to being a published author was one of the single most disappointing moments of my life.    It taught me a good lesson about how we all have them from time to time, though.

3.   I have the original and complete manuscript in my possession.    It's in my basement......somewhere.....

4.   At the time, we were actually going to call it "Super Sentinels", but we were advised not to use it because of potential copyright infringement on the word "Super".   Not sure how that could have been, but we rolled with it.   "Supra" was always a little awkward, though, I thought.

5.   I authored the game with two others - one whose name I remember, and the other's last name escapes me at the moment.   I'll have to go dig the manuscript out.  I lost track of either one of them over a decade ago, but I'm goig to try to find them, if JG is really interested in doing something with it (I had no idea they were back in business until I was contacted just the other day!).

Sage Collector
JG Valuation Board
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Wed Aug 20, 2014 2:53 am 

Hi buddycat. What a cool post. That is what I love about the Acaeum. Guy posts a query a few years back and no one can help and you, as the author, find it and enlighten us all three years later! I'm sure there will be a bunch of people here interested to see the final product if you are able to resurrect it. You shall be a published author yet!

Keep us all posted here how things work out.  :)

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Sat Aug 23, 2014 12:08 am 

Wow, very cool! Thanks for the answers! :D

I would also be interested in buying it, if you can find a way to publish!

Guy Fullerton
Chaotic Henchmen Productions
http://www.chaotichenchmen.com/

Collector

Post Posted: Sun Aug 24, 2014 3:43 pm 

Thank you for your interest, Guy.   Mr. Bledsaw is definitely interested in reviving it.  So I'll just have to track down my co-authors (who I haven't seen in over a decade) and we'll see what happens.   With the Marvel movies being in full swing (and we based our system off more of that Universe for ideas), maybe its time has, indeed, come.