Early small-sized JG booklets
Author

Active Collector

Post Posted: Mon Jul 12, 2010 8:33 pm 

What size is the original Booklet L (Tegel Manor)? 8.5" x 7"? I have read somewhere that it is the same height as the OD&D booklets and supplements (which are 8.5" x 5.5") but wider.

Were the other early booklets (Booklet I, Guide to the City State, Booklet J, Booklet K, Booklet M) also the same size? Did all or many of these products go through a size change in later printings?

Is the "I" in Booklet I meant as a Roman numeral one, and the subsequent J, K, etc. a sort of joke? If not, why didn't it start at A?

Michael Falconer – http://oldschooltrek.proboards.com/
“Not we but those who come after will make the legends of our time.  The green earth, say you?  That is a mighty matter of legend, though you tread it under the light of day!” —J.R.R. Tolkien

WWW ICQ  

Grandstanding Collector
JG Valuation Board
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Tue Jul 13, 2010 12:49 am 

Yes, the original Booklet L (Tegel Manor) was 8-1/2" x 7" in size.

As far as I know all the small booklets published by Judges Guild are the same size and I have gone through a lot of them.

I do not have a copy of thee book, but I do believe that the Original Guide to the City State book is 8-1/2" x 11"  just like the later books for the City State.

As for Booklet "I": the following is just a guess:
Booklet "I" (Eye) was used as a shortcut to the word Initial and that Booklet was part of the Initial Package produced by Judges Guild for its members and sent out in Mailing Envelopes.

The Initial Package was the first product that was produced for the general public in the Judges Guild Line.
The package was first mailed out to subscribers after the 1976 GENCON.

http://www.acaeum.com/jg/InitialPackage.html

During that convention Bill Owen sold some of the Product for the City State (City State Maps it seems) out of the trunk of his Mustang.

1st Printing, Version A (1976):  Bill Owen sold this print run of rolled-up maps at GenCon IX (Aug 20-22, 1976) from the trunk of his Mustang.

http://www.acaeum.com/jg/Item0001.html

"Guys, I am starting to think Tegel Manor might be haunted..."
Stated by me as a PC during a run of Tegel Manor DMed by killjoy at NTRPGCon 2010

Charter Member of the ATM

Long-Winded Collector
Subweb Admin
JG Valuation Board

Post Posted: Tue Jul 13, 2010 10:27 am 

'I' was for Initial Package.  I believe Bill talks about that in thi sthread of why he started with that instead of A.  Course they ran out of latters quicker that way and had to start numbering their Installments.

ShaneG.

I reject your reality and substitute my own

Sage Collector

Post Posted: Tue Jul 13, 2010 3:15 pm 

Plaag wrote:'I' was for Initial Package.  I believe Bill talks about that in thi sthread of why he started with that instead of A.  Course they ran out of latters quicker that way and had to start numbering their Installments.

At which point JGJ Issue I was renamed Issue 0 (zero) rather than 1.

Long-Winded Collector
Subweb Admin
JG Valuation Board

Post Posted: Tue Jul 13, 2010 3:49 pm 

sauromatian wrote:
At which point JGJ Issue I was renamed Issue 0 (zero) rather than 1.

Initial Issue was never officially given a product number nor a issue number.   Early Journals started out being labeled as Newsletters, then Journals with designated letter code, and finally Journals with sequenced number followed by the letter code.  They are listed on the site that way for ease of cross referencing and organization.

ShaneG.

I reject your reality and substitute my own

Grandstanding Collector
JG Valuation Board
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Thu Jul 15, 2010 10:15 am 

Plaag wrote:'I' was for Initial Package.  
I believe Bill talks about that in this thread of why he started with that instead of A.  
Course they ran out of latters quicker that way and had to start numbering their Installments.

ShaneG.

Shane, You mentioned a thread, but did not post a link to it.
I think you were talking about this one...

viewtopic.php?t=7116&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=0

That thread has a lot of Judges Guild History in it.

Bill Owen also wrote a small book about Judges Guild history (in greater detail).

"Guys, I am starting to think Tegel Manor might be haunted..."
Stated by me as a PC during a run of Tegel Manor DMed by killjoy at NTRPGCon 2010

Charter Member of the ATM