The Lady of Pain Project.. (LoPP)
Author

Sage Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sat Apr 11, 2009 1:36 am 

OK let me give you a little background first...

For many years I have wanted to get a Dragon Chess set made (issue 100 of Dragon I think) and I have wanted to do something very specific that, unfortunatly involved a bit of carving... and therefor in my mind a bit of money... Anyway recently I was thinking about it again and I decided to put a bit of effort into tracking down somewhere that I might get this done.. instead of going all out to begin with I decided to see if I could get something small and less compleciated carved first just to test the water so to speak....and the first thing I thought of was the Lady of Pain symbol as a wall plaque/mask...

So the primary costing is in.. and resonable as far as I'm concerned.. so now if anyone has any suggections? or a nicer pic that I can use for a model..

http://www.arielarchives.com/brett/ladyofpain/

are the pics I have, mostly of the Lady of Pain Belt Buckle (Thanks Mark)..

at the moment the quote I have is for 30cm diameter and 5 cm think.. I thinking maybe a little bigger than this.. and maybe the face as a different wood? Dark wood/light wood? what would look best??

(Please feel free to suggect this on other Planescape forums, but I'll only post here..)

Brette:)

(And the next project.. maybe a carved wooden Beholder based on the brass Beholder I have  http://www.arielarchives.com/brett/beholder/ )

Being healthy is merely the slowest possible rate at which one can die.

Sage Collector

Post Posted: Sat Apr 11, 2009 2:32 am 

This is just me being me, but for the background, I would go with something like a solid redwood. It is water resistant, and has a nice lovely color. However, it might be expensive in Australia... so you might consider Western red cedar.

And, for the fore piece, I'd probably elect for a lighter shade, something white like pine.

However, you could also use the same wood for both, and get the same effect: cherry. Heartwood for the background and what is called "sapwood" for the front.

Are there any specific effects / colors you're looking for. Woodcarving was a hobby of mine a while ago, so I might recall something useful.

Those who can, don't. Those who should not, do.

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Sat Apr 11, 2009 10:36 am 

I think it would look good in a dark cherry coloured wood - same colour for background and main mask section.

For the buckles, my preference is the pewter ones over the coloured one - I like simple.

Prolific Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sat Apr 11, 2009 10:32 pm 

I like the last picture of the Lady.  The first few don't show the nose and lips as being as well formed, as well as the brow line.  She always looked to me as if she was judging the world below her, and finding it mildly wanting.

I think she would look great with the background being a slightly darker color, but without a huge contrast.

In the first beholder pic - is that its victim on the ground to the right?

And is this going to be a one-of-a-kind thing?  Or can I sign up to be in the first fifty buyers?  :D

If all else fails, immortality can always be assured by spectacular error. - John Kenneth Galbraith

Sage Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sun Apr 12, 2009 6:43 am 

The drawing is a lot sharper, the other is of course the size of a belt buckle and so has the size and casting limitations of that..

The beholder pics come from the origion ebay auction that I won..

Its a personal project at the moment but if anyone else wants one when it all done I'm sure its easy enough to get more made...

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Sat Apr 18, 2009 11:43 pm 

Definitely! Count me in. That would look great in my den....

And let me know if you need payment now or when it's done.

:)

Original 28mm fantasy gaming miniatures at http://www.centerstageminis.com

Verbose Collector

Post Posted: Sun Apr 19, 2009 6:48 am 

Hi,

a good few years ago, at one of the very early UK gencons, the ppl who did a lot of the Planescape stuff came over.

One of the things they brought was the original model they used of the Lady of Pain, which was made out of plaster. Kind of like a plaster plaque. From memory, about a foot across?

Sorry I cant be more help - lots of drinking involved that weekend and consequently memory rather fuzzy :)

Someone I know, who I have since lost touch with, bought it.

Cheers,
Malc

Sage Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sun Apr 19, 2009 6:40 pm 

now a pic of that would be very nice.. and about the right size as well...

Long-Winded Collector
Subweb Admin
JG Valuation Board

Post Posted: Sun Jul 12, 2009 8:00 am 

beasterbrook wrote:OK let me give you a little background first...

For many years I have wanted to get a Dragon Chess set made (issue 100 of Dragon I think) and I have wanted to do something very specific that, unfortunatly involved a bit of carving... and therefor in my mind a bit of money... Anyway recently I was thinking about it again and I decided to put a bit of effort into tracking down somewhere that I might get this done.. instead of going all out to begin with I decided to see if I could get something small and less compleciated carved first just to test the water so to speak....and the first thing I thought of was the Lady of Pain symbol as a wall plaque/mask...

So the primary costing is in.. and resonable as far as I'm concerned.. so now if anyone has any suggections? or a nicer pic that I can use for a model..

http://www.arielarchives.com/brett/ladyofpain/

are the pics I have, mostly of the Lady of Pain Belt Buckle (Thanks Mark)..

at the moment the quote I have is for 30cm diameter and 5 cm think.. I thinking maybe a little bigger than this.. and maybe the face as a different wood? Dark wood/light wood? what would look best??

(Please feel free to suggect this on other Planescape forums, but I'll only post here..)

(And the next project.. maybe a carved wooden Beholder based on the brass Beholder I have  http://www.arielarchives.com/brett/beholder/ )

How are these projects coming along, or have you set them aside for the moment?

ShaneG.

I reject your reality and substitute my own

Sage Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sun Jul 12, 2009 5:58 pm 

I had one done.. not exactly what I wanted.. have to get another done

the "swords" need to be straight and the face needs to be smaller and more human like (not mask like), the top bit needs to come over the forehead as well like a crown I think... any other suggestions??

[/img]

Long-Winded Collector
Subweb Admin
JG Valuation Board

Post Posted: Sun Jul 12, 2009 6:47 pm 

I'd probably not give the face any expression, but your other ideas would seem to be on the right track.  Looks good though.

ShaneG.

I reject your reality and substitute my own

Prolific Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sun Jul 12, 2009 7:41 pm 

Eyes and forehead are less pronounced in the image.  Eyes seem to be angled slightly.  I agree about the blades on top, they should be covering the forehead which might account for the image appearing less pronounced.

I can't wait to see the next iteration witho how good the next one comes out.

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Tue Jan 28, 2020 8:51 am 

Casting a Raise Thread spell here.

Any chance some of these pictures are still available?

D&D in the world @DNDCollecting
A quick look at the rarest, oddest, most elusive items within the Dungeons & Dragons franchise, with a special focus on obscure international (non-US) items

https://twitter.com/DNDCollecting