New to Planescape-Want List Enclosed
Author

Active Collector

Post Posted: Mon Mar 19, 2007 10:16 pm 

Hello,

I thought this would be the better forum section for this post, instead of the Classifieds section.

I have just picked up the following items to jump start my Planescape collection:

2603 Planes of Chaos
2615 Planes of Conflict
2621 Hellbound: The Blood War
2602 Monstrous Compendium Appendix
2613 Monstrous Compendium Appendix II
2635 Monstrous Compendium Appendix III

Therefore I am looking to get the following items to complete what I believe is the basis for a Planescape campaign:

2600 Planescape Campaign Setting
2607 Planes of Law

I thought I would post here to see if anyone out there has these two items to sell or trade.  I do not need shrinkwrapped items as this stuff is for eventual use.  But I would like items that are complete and in decent shape (pics of your stuff would be cool).  My collection of D&D stuff is not extensive, but I do have a few extras of some materials that I could trade.  Or if you can beat ebay prices, I have Paypal.

Finally, let me also ask for some advice from the experts.  If you can think of something else that I should acquire to have a solid foundation of materials for running Planescape-please post what it is and why you recommend it.  Thanks.

PS-Items will have to ship to, or from Maine, USA (04092).

You can PM me or reach me at [email protected].  Thanks.

Ben.S.

Long-Winded Collector

Post Posted: Tue Mar 20, 2007 9:07 am 

First off, nice start to your collection.  You have gotten a couple of the more difficult to acquire items (Hellbound, Conflict) out of the way.  I myself only have one of each of the items you are looking for but I am sure there are others with multiple copies that may be able to help you out.  However you should be able to pick up the Planescape box set for less than $25 fairly easily.  The Planes of Law usually goes for a bit more but if you are patient you could get it for about the same price.  Just stay away from Troll & Toad....way overpriced.

Just my 2 cents....but two sourcebooks that I consider to be the most interesting for Planescape are The Inner Planes and On Hallowed Ground.  The Inner Planes has a good amount of information on the Elemental Planes, Para-Elemental Planes, and the Positive and Negative Material Planes and the denizens who live there.  On Hallowed Ground details the deities, their followers, and their realms on the outer planes.  A lot of good information if you plan to take a group of adventurers on a jaunt across the outer planes.  You might also consider picking up Guide to the Ethereal and Guide to the Astral as they both expand on information from the core box set.

Most of the Planescape adventures are pretty decent but I find that making up your own works just as well.  One adventure that you will probably enjoy though is Dead Gods.  For one it is a huge campaign, it covers several different locations across the planes, and it has one seriously nasty bad guy named Orcus.  :twisted:

Active Collector

Post Posted: Tue Mar 20, 2007 10:40 am 

Kingofpain89 wrote:First off, nice start to your collection.  You have gotten a couple of the more difficult to acquire items (Hellbound, Conflict) out of the way.

Kingofpain89,

Thanks for the sage advice.  I'm not a big collector of D&D items but I decided to jump/expand into Planescape after noting the artwork and the semi "holy grail" status of PS items.  Plus I got a crazy good price on the items I picked up :) so that helped greatly.

Reading your ideas, I have constructed a new want list.  It's listed in order of preference, so the first item is priority #1 (and in fact I have just started trade talks with someone for 2600).

2600 Planescape Campaign Setting
2607 Planes of Law                       
2634 The Inner Planes               
2623 On Hallowed Ground       
2625 A Guide to the Astral Plane
2633 A Guide to the Etherial Plane
2631 Dead Gods               
26XX Any other misc. item

So if anyone wants to talk trade, email me with what you've got and what you want (note that I also have a large collection of comic books, CCG's, non-sport cards).  Plus anymore advice is also appreciated from other readers of this post.

Ben.S.

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Fri Mar 23, 2007 6:57 am 

First off, congrats on getting a good deal on two of the hardest to find items, And well done for picking planescape! the (imo) best setting tsr ever came up with. Unfortunately I sold any extras I had, but the planescape campaign setting usually sells for pretty cheap on Ebay.

Personally, I find the planeswalkers handbook invaluable. Most of what it contains is covered in the campain setting but the PHB is much more in depth.
I quite like the box sets, the maps are great. and of course, the adventures are all rather fun. Well of the worlds was what I used to throw my flatmates into the setting, mwahahaha. The enjoyed their romp through Baator and on into sigil.

Can't really say what I find the most useful though... I use the factols manifesto a fair bit but that's mostly because I love it and the images of the buildings in it are great for visual aids ("right, the morturary looks like this ok?") lol.

If you end up running a game keep us posted! I for one would be facinated to see what you and your players do. Hopefully they'll be less useless than my last bunch... the worst of whom I had seduced by a succubi for my own perverse enjoyment (oooo I hated him... I reaaaaally hated him)

Good luck with your collection! I just finished mine a month or so ago

Active Collector

Post Posted: Thu May 10, 2007 3:39 pm 

Update.

Thanks to a fellow member, I now have the Campaign set.  The rest of the want list is still valid.

FPM-I'm actually not planning to run a Planescape campaign.  I haven't played D&D since the mid 1980's actually.  I'm passively aggressively collecting select materials for my future children to use.  The plan is to start them off with basic D&D (basic to master sets with modules), then move them up to ADD/ADD2nd with the Forgotten Realms setting and finally, have them graduate into Planescape.

Of course, since I don't have any kids yet, this plan could take 15 or so more years to materialize.  I guess that just gives me plenty of time to collect.  Thanks for the advice everyone.

Ben.S.

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Fri May 11, 2007 2:44 pm 

wow.. what an interesting idea... well good luck to ya! Hopefully my son will be a geek... if he turns out *shudder* normal... I may have to disown him.. hahaha

"Somehow, in hell I knew there would be mushrooms"

Sage Collector
Valuation Board

Post Posted: Sat May 12, 2007 6:02 am 

bspaul41 wrote:The rest of the want list is still valid.

howdy, did you get my email? i have written you with a proposal for a deal...
tnx and looking forward to hearing from you
ciao

I am the servant of the Secret Maps, Wielder of the flame of Clone!
You cannot quote! The dark spam will not avail you, flame of Udun.
Go back to the Shadow! You... cannot... post!!!

Verbose Collector

Post Posted: Sat May 12, 2007 8:17 pm 

flying_purple_monkfish wrote:wow.. what an interesting idea... well good luck to ya! Hopefully my son will be a geek... if he turns out *shudder* normal... I may have to disown him.. hahaha

so far my sons have been a great disappointment to me!
They should be well into rpgs by now - where did it all go wrong?! :D

(I have dice they can borrow :lol:  :lol: )

You can never have too much of something you didn't need in the first place.

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Wed May 16, 2007 11:17 am 

NOOOOO!!!!! how dare they not be geeky!

"Somehow, in hell I knew there would be mushrooms"