Planescape Blood Wars Card Game
Author

Collector

Post Posted: Fri Feb 15, 2013 3:58 am 

@r1vver: the Blood wars cards will fit in your card sleeves. I believe you will not find many chase cards in starter decks. If you still need a lot of cards, try a booster box. There are 3 different editions of Blood wars cards.

Sorry, just now discovered the question is 1 year old.

Collector

Post Posted: Sun Jul 06, 2014 1:00 am 

I see this post has been around awhile.  
I started collecting Bloodwars about 10 years ago. The skinny is, of course they are out of Print. As far as I know there were only the Duel-Decks (1128, 1128B and 1128c) printed along with the three escalation sets and one promo card.  The 1028B and 1028C duel deck cards have "II" and "III" printed on the lower right corner below the picture art. I have not found any "III" cards.  I am missing 14 of the 300 series "II" cards.  I have started on a second set of 1128B "II" cards and currently I have 234 of the 300 in this second set.
I am also working on two sets of all 603 cards: I am only missing the "Key of Pain" UR Chase to complete the one set, and 24 cards (Floating Gods E3 UR/C and Key of Pain of Pain E2 UR/C) and 22 Chase cards: 2 from E1, 8 from E2, and 12 from E3.  
I have quite a few Guardian Molydeus cards (more than 20). This was the only "promo" card produced for the entire release and was only made available at the Gen Con Fair in 1995. So if you are interested in one of these second sets or the Gen Con promo, let me know?
Rebels & Reinforcements (E1) This set are the same as Duel Deck cards, but contains 34 additional chase cards. There is no way (that I am aware of) to differentiate the common, uncommon and rare duel deck cards from those released in the Rebels & Reinforcements (E1) expansion set.
Factols & Factions (E2) contained 134 cards; Powers & Proxies (E3) also contained 134 cards. With the 1995 Gen Con Promo (P) this totaled: 603 cards in the set.  This does not include the 300 cards from 1128B Duel Decks and 1128C Duel Decks. I guess a fully complete set would be 1203 cards, but the duel deck cards would be the same card/art for each series:1128, 1128B and 1128C.
BLOOD WARS HISTORY
Blood Wars is a collectible card game produced by TSR, Inc. (Tactical Studies Rules) and the game is based on the Planescape campaign setting from DUNGEONS § DRAGONS. The game was released in March of 1995 as part of TSR's 20th anniversary. This was around the same time Wizards of the Coast released MAGIC.  The Blood Wars Collectible Card Game has been out of print now for more than 19 years.
RELEASE HISTORY
The Blood Wars collection of cards begin with a Duel-Deck pack, three Escalation Packs and one GEN Con® Game Fair promotional card given out only during the 1995 convention.
Each Escalation Pack was theme based on a different aspect of the PLANESCAPE setting of the ADVANCED DUNGEONS § DRAGONS fantasy role-playing game's Outer Planes.
Each release of cards contained Common, Uncommon, and Rare cards. The Chase and Ultra-Rare Chase cards only came out with the expansion sets.
DUEL-DECK PACKS
The Duel-Deck release was one of two products that introduced the Blood Wars game to the collectible card game community. Each Duel-Deck pack consisted of a rule book and two 50-card decks. There were three (3) releases of the Duel-Decks 1128, 1128B "II" and 1128C "III".
The total cards released for the Duel-Decks numbered 300. The only card unique to this release (not found in any other Escalation Pack) is the Warlord: The Bladeling Hero. The 300 cards associated with this release consisted of five print sheets: a Common, an Uncommon, a Rare, a Battlefield and a Warlord sheet. The last two sheets only consisted of Battlefield and Warlords, however, Battlefields and Warlords could also be found on the other three sheets. The starter Duel-Deck packs contained a mix of 150 Commons, 100 Uncommons, and 50 Rares.
ESCALATION PACK #1: Rebels § Reinforcements
This was the first of the 15-card booster pack releases. The Rebels § Reinforcements consisted of 299 cards from the Duel-Deck packs and 34 Chase cards that could be found only in this release. Like the Duel-Deck release, Rebels § Reinforcements was available in March, 1995.
The 333 cards from this set consisted of five print sheets: two Common, an Uncommon, a Rare and a Chase sheet. Each Chase sheet was "three up" of 33 of all cards except for the Ultra-Rare card, The Lady of Pain, which was "one up" on the sheet. The mix of cards from each sheet that make up the booster packs are: 8 common (two from each sheet), 4 uncommon, 2 rare cards and 1 Chase card. E1 (Rebels & Reinforcements ) contained cards from the starter series and added 33 Chase cards and 1 ultra-rare Chase card (The Lady of Pain).
ESCALATION PACK #2: Factols § Factions
The second 15-card booster pack release which spilled the Blood Wars saga over into the city of Sigil, became available in June of 1995. The 134 cards found only in this release deal with the City of Doors' leaders, legions, and the luck of its secret (and not-so-secret) societies known as Factions. The 134 cards from this expansion contained a mix of 100 Common, Uncommon, and Rare cards, plus 34 Chase cards. The print sheets for this set consisted of a Common, an Uncommon, a Rare and a Chase sheet. The Ultra-Rare card for this pack, The Key of Pain, had the same frequency on the print sheet as The Lady of Pain in Escalation #1. There were two different mixes for this release, giving more rarity to the Chase cards.  Two out of three booster packs had a mix of: 10 Common, 4 Uncommon, and one Rare card; while one in three boosters had a mix of 10 Common, 4 Uncommon, and one Chase card.
ESCALATION PACK #3: Powers § Proxies
The last and third Blood Wars 15-card booster pack release which deals with the powerful avatars of the Outer Planes. This release became available in August of 1995. The first place a Blood Wars player could have obtained this release was at the Gen Con Game Fair in Milwaukee, Wis. Like the Escalation Pack #2, this release consisted of 134 cards. The 134 cards from this expansion contained a mix of 100 Common, Uncommon, and Rare cards, with an additional 34 Chase cards. The print sheets for this set consisted of a Common, an Uncommon, a Rare and a Chase sheet. The Ultra-Rare card for this pack, The Floating Gods, had the same frequency on the print sheet as the Ultra-Rare cards from previous Escalation Packs.
There were two different mixes for this expansion, and it did differ from Escalation Pack #2. Two out of three booster packs had a mix of: 9 Common, 4 Uncommon, and 2 Rare cards; and one in three boosters had a mix of 8 Common, 4 Uncommon, 2 Rare cards and one Chase card.
To recap, the Blood Wars Collectible Card Game was made up of four releases: The first release, Duel-Deck Packs (1128, 1128B, and 1128C) and consisted of 300 cards (D) with one unique card, The Bladeling Hero. The first booster series, Rebels § Reinforcements (E1) added an additional 34 cards to the game as chase cards and one ultra-rare The Lady of Pain chase card. These were added to the base set of released cards. The second booster series, Factols § Factions (E2) added 134 cards and the last booster series, Powers § Proxies (E3) another 134 cards. With the one Ultra-Rare Chase promotion card, only available and distributed at the Gen Con Game Fair in 1995, GUARDIAN MOLYDEUS, the complete collection consisted of 603 cards.
The E2 Booster series (Factols § Factions) added 33 common, 34 uncommon, 33 rare, 33 Chase cards and 1 ultra-rare Chase card (The Key of Pain).
The E3 Booster series (Powers § Proxies) added 34 common, 33 uncommon, 33 rare, 33 Chase cards and 1 ultra-rare Chase card (The Floating Gods).
Chase cards could only be found in one of three booster packs. One card of each series (E1 - E3) is considered Ultra-Rare.

If you would like a Excel spreadsheet of the Cards that make up Blood Wars series please feel free to email me and I will send this to you.

There also was a TSR, Inc. (1996). Blood Wars: Warlord's Tactical Manual Reference Guide. Random House printed.

~Billy

Collector

Post Posted: Mon May 30, 2016 6:57 pm 

I completed the 1995 TSR Bloodwars collection and have this up on eBay. This includes 602 cards plus 300 Series II cards and the Guardian Molydeus promo card that was only available and distributed at the Gen Con Game Fair in 1995. I am asking $1800 (as these cards have never been played and went from pack to sleeve. There is a complete set available in the UK (without series II) and is going for around $1,150.00 U.S.  I also have an almost complete set up for $500 (missing the 2 ultra chase: KEY of PAIN and FLOATING GODS (Their is a FLOATING GODS card available in the UK for around $149) and also missing 2 Chase cards from Powers § Proxies (E3). It took me more then 15 years to complete the set and series II. Not an easy chore. I do have several mint Guardian Molydeus promo cards available and would consider trade for chase cards. I have some of these up on eBay for $49+.

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Mon Mar 12, 2018 12:37 pm 

I found a pack of cards along with what appears to be a loose set from a couple of booster packs. If anyone is interested, send me a PM and I'll email you pictures. Thanks!

Active Collector

Post Posted: Mon Mar 22, 2021 6:46 am 

So... I almost completed the set (series 1 and 2 basegame , expansions and promo). I just need the key of pain and the floating gods. If anyone would be willing to part with those please pm me?

I obviously have many doubles myself, if you're looking for cards let me know and I'll have a look!

Collector

Post Posted: Mon Aug 23, 2021 5:46 pm 

I have them, but they are in my set.

Active Collector

Post Posted: Fri Sep 10, 2021 1:37 pm 

I'm sure quite a feelw people have them as part of their sets. It's the folks with doubles I'm looking for ;)

And as stated, always happy to help others with collecting.

Active Collector

Post Posted: Thu Dec 30, 2021 9:54 am 

Something interesting came up at BGG: the design notes for the never-released expansions 4, 5 and 6. For those interested, you can download them from the files section under the game page. Blood Wars | Board Game | BoardGameGeek

Active Collector

Post Posted: Mon Jun 20, 2022 2:12 am 

The suggestion on the acaeum subweb that best buy packs may have contained 3rd edition cards has been debunked (with pictures Third Edition | Blood Wars. Perhaps someone can update that entry?

No proof of 3rd edition cards actually existing has been found as far as I know.

Collector

Post Posted: Sat Jan 07, 2023 12:34 pm 

Dear all,
For Blood wars III edition I can confirm that, the set is out.

Last edited by reivaxtc on Sat Jan 07, 2023 3:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Collector

Post Posted: Sat Jan 07, 2023 12:41 pm 

Upgrade cards from base set to II edition

Collector

Post Posted: Fri Nov 17, 2023 10:33 pm 

I am the one who posted the previous unreleased notes for sets 4, 5, 6. You’re welcome.

I also organized a group to put the card text to the pictures and assemble the sets into printable cards. They are available for download at BoardGameGeek. You’re welcome.

I have one of the better Blood Wars sets in America. I have complete set 1 and set 2, along with all three expansions. In addition, I have ten playable decks I take to the occasional convention. People are often surprised to see the game still alive.

A while ago, I got the name of the one and only Blood Wars world champ. I sent out a letter to the fifteen people in the US with that name and I found the guy. His deck was still in storage, but he dug it out. Unfortunately, he wouldn’t sell it. The story is documented on BoardGameGeek.

I also have an extra two The Lady of Pain and one extra The Key of Pain. Also, one extra Guardian Molydeus. As well as numerous chase and rare cards available for trade. If you need to complete a set, I’m one of the best to contact. You can post to the BGG forums and find several people out there to complete your set.

The two things I’ve always wanted is a Blood Wars uncut sheet and a set of 3rd. If anyone has one, and is willing to sell, please let me know. I’d be willing to trade a lot for these. Hopefully the many, many, many hours of work it took to get the info for sets 4, 5, 6 and get them into printable format will get me some goodwill.

-Boring Norm
[email protected]

Previous