Will Planescape ever reappear for d20?
Author

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Tue Apr 24, 2007 11:47 am 

they were once a lot more crowded. ok the demiplane of shadow's been upgraded but the quasielemental and paraelemental planes seem cut back to me. There aren't as many mephits either.. makes me sad.. mephits amuse me.
I just don't like what 3.5 has done with the planes, all seems like its written by clueless imo.
I liked planescape because things were gonna kill you if you even LOOKED at em the right way. It was harsh and violence usually got you killed, scragged or mazed, led to actual roleplaying. Alas, we've lost the general feel. Not enough Celestials, no yugaloths till one of the later mm (if they appear at all) and very few of the more scary monsters (Sympathetics anyone? ewww).
I hope it isn't rereleased, I like what exists already.. it's perfect.

"Somehow, in hell I knew there would be mushrooms"

Active Collector

Post Posted: Tue Apr 24, 2007 6:23 pm 

They ARE more crowded, actually. You pointed it out when you said that Paraelemental and Quasielemental planes have been cut off - with Paraelementals STILL PRESENT in the setting (thus being reassigned to the closest True elemental plane). But you missed the most important issue: now the Astral Plane and Ethereal Plane do overlap, connecting both Inner and Outer planes and making them easier to reach.

Anyway, getting killed easily is IMO a source of frustration for players; the feeling of the setting has been lost on other aspects (mainly the utter disappearance of Sigil in the Manual of the Planes). But I agree on the fact that many good monsters have been overlooked.

Prolific Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Tue Apr 24, 2007 10:12 pm 

mbassoc2003 wrote:Hasbro/WoTC/Whoever, are not averse to flogging dead horses. They beat the f*ck out of a decent game, and just go on and on, even when they've killed it.

That's just it -- they do seem to be suddenly license-adverse.  Ravenloft is dead (again). Gamma World is dead (again). Dragonlance just died (again).  Whether it's through design, incompetence, plain bad luck, the properties WOTC licenses out aren't doing that well lately.

I wouldn't get anybody's hopes up over Planescape.

WWW ICQ  

Verbose Collector

Post Posted: Tue Apr 24, 2007 11:21 pm 

Contrarian wrote:
.  Ravenloft is dead (again)

Undead again?!

You can never have too much of something you didn't need in the first place.

Previous