Player's Primer to the Outlands CD..
Author

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Mon Jul 18, 2005 12:34 pm 

Well, finally got my copy of the audio CD. Wow.. this is painfully bad, heh.

Did anyone actually try to use this in a game? Seems like it would completely spoil the mood of a game. The voice-acting is better than I expected, but it's one joke after another.. :(

"Just do it! ... hey, that's a catchy phrase!"

:(

Active Collector

Post Posted: Mon Jul 18, 2005 5:24 pm 

Aloha,

Monte Cook has posted somewhere on the internets how much it's very existance pains him. They worked so hard to make the text work out only to have the reader who was hired ruin the whole thing.

I've not played mine but have fiendishly thought about uploading it into iTunes at some point to have it on my iPod for some chuckles at work.

Best,

Jim

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Mon Jul 18, 2005 5:33 pm 

Heh, ouch. Actually, I thought the reading was reasonably good, it was the content that was pretty bad, imo. I only got through about 15 minutes of it before I just had to turn it off though ;)

Honestly, I don't think you could find someone that would make it sound good. I mean, I just don't picture a githzerai woman sounding exactly human, and trying to replicate being a different species by changing your accent is bound to sound funny :P

Active Collector

Post Posted: Sun Jan 07, 2007 5:03 pm 

The entry on Gzemnid the Beholder God is prefection itself - gets quoted regularly at my gaming table :D

You can download the entire CD from the WotC site as a collection of audio files.  Here is the page for the download:
http://www.wizards.com/dnd/article.asp? ... x20010914a

And here is a direct link to the zip file for the download itself:
http://www.wizards.com/dnd/audio/PS1/PS1.zip

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Thu Jan 11, 2007 5:22 am 

Oooh, I'll have to check out that part at least then.

The dialogue used the jargon in a fantastic manner, but my group never had trouble picking that up just from me using it. Heck, I've found it slips into conversation even when I'm not talking in a D&D game, which is usually a bit embarassing :P