So does anyone else actually *run* a Planescape game?
Author

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Mon Jul 18, 2005 2:36 am 

Seems like we've got a fairly large group of PS enthusiasts, so I'm curious if anyone else actually runs/plays in a PS game.

I've been running one for a few months now, although it's a 3.5 game (Don't shoot!). Thus far, the party is 10th/11th level (started at 6th, I think), and has been to Bytopia, the Outlands, and is now in a custom plane (a demiplane in the deep ethereal). They spend most of their time in Sigil ;)

Haven't had a chance to hurl too many nasty PS foes at them yet, as they're a bit low-level for a lot of the planar baddies.

I used most of "The Eternal Boundary" as the backbone of one adventure, and a location name ("Isle of Black Trees") mentioned in passing in that adventure actually led to the current one.. :)

So, anyone else? :)

Prolific Collector
Subweb Admin
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Mon Jul 18, 2005 3:19 am 

3.5? Oh, the horror. ;)

I run a small Planescape campaign for mostly one player, though occasionally someone else might pop in for an adventure or two. (Most of my other gamer friends don't appreciate/understand Planescape, so I keep them away from it. My passion must not be tainted! Or something.)

It started as an offshoot of a one-shot adventure that took place in a home-made world of mine, if that makes any sense. Some friends from out of town came to visit, I ran an adventure that ended up with major double-crosses and some betrayals and the incineration of a Tormian church... but that's a long story. So that mess led to the PC I run for wanting to rescue the NPC who was taken by an Erinye in the whole fiasco. The NPC happened to be a planewalker apprenticed to a chronomancer - who enlisted the player's aid in rescuing his apprentice. And hence, she went to Sigil and much adventure has ensued.

I haven't run any modules. For some reason, I prefer to come up with my own tangled plots. My favorite highlight so far, though, was the run-away walking tower on chicken legs in the Outlands. ;) If you've read the last page of the Player's Primer to the Outlands, you know what I'm talking about. But anyway, we've done more than enough to write a book. I should. :P

I wish someone around here actually ran PS. Our regular DM did once, but I absolutely hated how he did it. In my opinion, he didn't have a grasp on the whole flavor of Sigil, and the atmosphere was completely off. It felt more like Ravenloft. Needless to say, it sucked, and my poor Outlander slave-trader (and namesake on here, as a matter of fact) ended up slaughtered by a Glabrezu. *sniffle*

I'm dying to play in a good campaign, though. Have room in yours? ;}

Waterdeep? Never heard of it.

-Factol Pentar, Doomguard

Prolific Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Mon Jul 18, 2005 6:35 am 

I do....or did :(

I run an AD&D Planescape campaign, but it has been 4 months since the last game. Working on my thesis and my last exams sucks up too much time and attention :(

I've played 5 sessions so far and all they've done is clean out a cube (like the ones on acheron). Nice at level 3 (now 4)

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Mon Jul 18, 2005 12:20 pm 

Azurah wrote:I haven't run any modules. For some reason, I prefer to come up with my own tangled plots. My favorite highlight so far, though, was the run-away walking tower on chicken legs in the Outlands. ;) If you've read the last page of the Player's Primer to the Outlands, you know what I'm talking about. But anyway, we've done more than enough to write a book. I should. :P

Heh, that's one of my favorite pictures in the books. As an interesting coincidence, I just got my copy of the CD for the Primer in the mail. My copy didn't have one :)

(And just got my copy of Dead Gods, wooooot!)

In my opinion, he didn't have a grasp on the whole flavor of Sigil, and the atmosphere was completely off. It felt more like Ravenloft.

Yeah, the flavour is really hard to show someone who hasn't read the books. That's why I want the BW cards :)

I'm dying to play in a good campaign, though. Have room in yours? ;}

Well, I'm in Canada, so it might be a bit of a commute :P

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Fri Jul 22, 2005 10:13 pm 

GraysonAC wrote:I've been running one for a few months now, although it's a 3.5 game (Don't shoot!).

Has WoTC translated Planescape over to v. 3.0/3.5 yet?

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Sat Jul 23, 2005 12:13 am 

Doug Williams wrote:
GraysonAC wrote:I've been running one for a few months now, although it's a 3.5 game (Don't shoot!).

http://p085.ezboard.com/fpiedpiperpubli ... 1&stop=119

Ouch.  Why not translate it back to AD&D 1E?

;)

Regards,

Stephen

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Sat Jul 23, 2005 1:41 am 

Doug Williams wrote:

Nope. Which kinda sucks, since they're sitting on the IP rights to the setting and all the planes, and none of it is open content, so folks can't do their own Planescape stuff.

Monte Cook has his own line of psuedo-planescape stuff, but he's having to create his own cosmology to do it.

Active Collector

Post Posted: Mon Aug 15, 2005 6:41 pm 

I did for about 18 months.  Only just wound it down because I was moving coutries (from Japan to Australia).  Last game was in Feb/2005.  My game was based on the PS:Torment PC game.

Was fun.  My current campaign is the Shackled City Adventure Path.  I'll go back to PS after this campaign.

Oderint dum metuant...

Active Collector

Post Posted: Mon Aug 15, 2005 7:12 pm 

Doug Williams wrote:
GraysonAC wrote:
I've been running one for a few months now, although it's a 3.5 game (Don't shoot!).

Actually PS was one of the settings that made no money.  So they wont be brining it back anytime soon.  But they did give a group of enthusiasts a free license to convert to 3.5 and add their own content.

Welcome to Planewalker | Planewalker

Oderint dum metuant...

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Tue Aug 16, 2005 1:14 am 

IRC (posted somewhere on the Wizards site), they used the excuse that they wanted to bring the Planes back into the core product line, because the public were beginning to feel that the Planes were only for Planescape enthusiats.

Mount Celestia doesn't want me and Baator's afraid I'll take over.

Ninty-eight Blue and Green Slaad at the door, Ninty-eight Blue and Green Slaad, Take one down, they gate in two more, Ninty-nine Blue and Green Slaad at the door...

Prolific Collector
Subweb Admin
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Thu Aug 18, 2005 10:55 pm 

Part of me is sad to hear that, and yet... a larger part of me is relieved.

Holy crap, Winterwords, your sig made me laugh so hard.  :lol:

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Fri Aug 19, 2005 4:44 am 

Azurah wrote:Part of me is sad to hear that, and yet... a larger part of me is relieved.

Holy crap, Winterwords, your sig made me laugh so hard. :lol:

i never ran a planescape setting - it always interested me cos the material always looked pretty cool, but i just couldnt be bothered to sort a campaign. anyways i always just played 1E, so a total revamp of my game would have been required and not sure the gamers would have been too impressed with that :D

mind you i have always been interested in the abyss / hell and all the related domains - will certainly be directing the party on quests there when their levels are suitable enough (which isnt yet)...

Al

Are we nearly there yet?

Prolific Collector
Subweb Admin
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sat Aug 20, 2005 3:59 pm 

That's the spirit! Throw your party into the Hells for a fun little romp! :D

I don't have much experience at all with 1E. Would it be overly difficult to incorporate the setting, or at least the flavor of it, into a 1E campaign?

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Sat Aug 20, 2005 4:23 pm 

Azurah wrote:That's the spirit! Throw your party into the Hells for a fun little romp! :D

I don't have much experience at all with 1E. Would it be overly difficult to incorporate the setting, or at least the flavor of it, into a 1E campaign?

well i guess the concept itself would be easy enough, but it depends on how many of the rules etc that you would need to give it enough "meat" to feel right, know what i mean? when i DM, i use very few rules, and mostly wing it to keep the game flowing quick and the players enjoying the game, so beefing out a PS campaign of sorts might prove to be a lil tricky. might read up some stuff tho and see how it goes. i ran a ravenloft campaign....which worked well...i just picked out things i wanted to use and left out the rest. i guess i could do the same with regards to PS?

i can always come and bug the hell out of you (no pun intended there) and get tons of tips :D

Al

Are we nearly there yet?

Prolific Collector
Subweb Admin
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sat Aug 20, 2005 4:57 pm 

If you're taking them on a trip into hell, I'd say the meat would more be the atmosphere than the rules, anyhow. So I think what you did with the Ravenloft campaign would be a great idea, especially if you're introducing players to new elements. Sounds neat. :)

Bug me for tips anytime. I don't mind. In fact, can I play, too? ;}

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Sat Aug 20, 2005 5:24 pm 

Azurah wrote:If you're taking them on a trip into hell, I'd say the meat would more be the atmosphere than the rules, anyhow. So I think what you did with the Ravenloft campaign would be a great idea, especially if you're introducing players to new elements. Sounds neat. :)

Bug me for tips anytime. I don't mind. In fact, can I play, too? ;}

lol - come n play anytime. they are all 4th / 5th level atm and coming along real nicely. jessica is a right canny ranger let me tell you - she is getting REALLY inventive with traps. i have a number of modules i will be running them through, to which it should take them to about 14/15th levels, then i think a nice meander across the river styx might be just the thing :)

gonna start it with a loose running of a judges guild module called "inferno" which will be just perfect for what i am looking for....with a few modifications it will suit them just right.

Al

Are we nearly there yet?

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Mon Sep 26, 2005 1:21 pm 

solomani wrote:
Doug Williams wrote:

Actually PS was one of the settings that made no money. So they wont be brining it back anytime soon. But they did give a group of enthusiasts a free license to convert to 3.5 and add their own content.

Welcome to Planewalker | Planewalker

Thanks for the link, I'm amazed it made no money.

Regards,

Stephen

Prolific Collector
Subweb Admin
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Mon Sep 26, 2005 3:49 pm 

I'm surprised it made no money, too. It's like an artist... it's worth is recognized after it's dead, er, out of print. (And suddenly, as an artist, I feel discouraged :P)

And Al, how'd your plans to take your group on a merry trip through the Hells pan out? >:}

Next