Does anyone know anything about these pins?
Author

Prolific Collector
Subweb Admin
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Thu May 26, 2005 2:54 pm 

I've seen these pop up once in a blue moon, and I was wondering if anyone knows anything about them, and perhaps even how many of the Planescape faction symbols were made and where in the world you can get ahold of them.

I guess there's at least three, counting the two I won and the one I overlooked. *fumes* (I get really grumpy when I do something stupid to miss me a Planescape rarity...)

cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem& ... 4&rd=1

Waterdeep? Never heard of it.

-Factol Pentar, Doomguard

Prolific Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Fri May 27, 2005 3:53 am 

A series of pins from "Ultimate Buckles Ltd UK". I have a DARK SUN pin and a gold plated demon (?) head with green eyes.

From the same seller: http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... 5202086673

I bought the DARK SUN pin in the 90's - I think from TSR Mail Order Hobby Store and a few weeks ago another one off eBay. I'm pretty sure I haven't seen these in the stores in Germany.

Surely there must be more of these pins. It would be interesting to know which other pins were produced for this series.

- "When the going gets weird, the Weird turn pro."

Hunter S. Thompson (July 18, 1937 - Feb 20, 2005)

Prolific Collector
Subweb Admin
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Fri May 27, 2005 3:54 pm 

Thanks for the reply. I'll keep looking and see if I can find some kind of list of what kind of pins were made.

As for that auction link, if that's the one you have, it's actually the symbol of the Xaositects faction in Planescape. >:} (And thanks for that link. Purr.)

Prolific Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Fri May 27, 2005 8:45 pm 

Xaositects, eh? You're right of course. I noticed the one you posted first is a "Transcendent Order" pin. So, which is the other one you own? Your avatar picture is a faction symbol, too. It doesn't look like a pin though, may I ask where it's from?

Prolific Collector
Subweb Admin
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Fri May 27, 2005 10:22 pm 

The other one I won is the symbol of the Dustmen (One of my favorite factions).

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... 17721&rd=1

I wonder if they made these for all of the factions. You said you bought a Dark Sun one, and I saw that seller had a Ravenloft one... I assume there are even more. I'm curious as to which other settings were released, too. :)

My avatar is the symbol of the Sign of One (Signers). They're the ones who believe the self shapes the multiverse and thought is power. Not sure where I got the graphic... I have one for all the factions. Probably got them off of the net long ago. I don't think it's actually from anything specific. :}

Prolific Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sat May 28, 2005 6:55 am 

I guess, they've probably made a pin for each faction and a pin with the campaign logo of the active campaigns from te mid-90s. So there must be lots of more pins to collect!  :)

This is the DARK SUN pin I won: http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll? ... 5188946472

Long-Winded Collector
Subweb Admin
JG Valuation Board

Post Posted: Sat May 28, 2005 9:49 am 

The Ultimate Buckles LTD is still in operation in the UK it seems

http://www.ultimatebuckles.com/

Course not sure if it is still the same owners.

ShaneG.

Prolific Collector
Subweb Admin
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sun May 29, 2005 3:50 pm 

That's a cool looking Dark Sun pin. Very nice. :} I remember seeing auctions a while ago for a whole set of pewter campaign setting pins (Though there was no Planescape, so I ignored it). I wonder if they were these same ones. If memory serves, they were all pinned on one card, though I forget the company name on top.

And thanks, Plaag, for the link. I might just email them and inquire on the off chance they are still under the same owners. (Their site is kind of funny... a whole section of their store for Elvis costumes.)

Prolific Collector
Subweb Admin
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Wed Jun 22, 2005 3:31 am 

Figured I'd bump my own old topic instead of starting a new one, in case anyone else is interested in this. I found out a little more about the pins. They are, indeed, out of print. Though that one was obvious. The guys that made them say they have no definite stock list, though they're kind enough to do some digging around for me. :}

And in the meantime, I managed to get my Planescapey-hands on these from a very kind individual:

ImageShack® - Online Photo and Video Hosting

Note that one of them is a necklace. When I turned it over, I found that the back had some filed-down areas, as though someone had cut and filed away the pin backings, kind of suggesting that perhaps the necklace was a homemade modification. The hole had some metal filing remnants, too. The picture is the back of the necklace next to the matching pin back with the little red arrows showing where the filed areas are. Going to ask the kind folks that made them about it, too, and hopefully they won't get too annoyed with me. ;}

http://img145.echo.cx/img145/8159/necklace0ct.jpg

Now to find the rest....  :?

Prolific Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Thu Jun 23, 2005 3:19 am 

Oh crap. I had hoped they never made ALL the Planescape factions. But it looks as thought they did exactly that. Now that is going to be tough, finding them all ...

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Tue Jul 05, 2005 1:27 am 

Ack, I used to have a catalogue that listed them all.

The pins were made for all the Planescape factions, plus they did necklaces (black cord), with the same size "pendant" as the pin for the factions. It was about the same time that you could buy "Lord Soth's Charge" on a black tshirt (I curse the summer camp I was working on where I lost my tshirt!)

They did Forgotten Realms & Dark Sun logo pins as well (just the name of the setting), but I can't recall any of the others. - Ravenloft and maybe Birthright?

You could get the following pewter belt buckles:
Lady of Pain
AD&D Dragon

I have a Dark Sun pin and a Cipher pendant. They seem to crop up on ebay only very occasionally (possibly because we're not searching for the right things? (people who have them now may not know what they are)).

Active Collector

Post Posted: Tue Jul 05, 2005 1:27 pm 

TSR also produced a series of extremely cheap Planescape pins for GenCon and other trade shows. (GAMA, etc.) These were metal with a simple wire point on the back.

The difficulty was that you were allowed one at a time and putting a set together was extremely difficult. (Reaching into the jar was inviting a thousand pin pricks.)

I have a full set with possibly one or two spares. I'll look when I get home tonight and have a minute.

Also to keep an eye open for is the limited edition Lady of Pain badge. This was a large badge of the head of the Lady of Pain from the Planescape logo that was painted in a faux rust wash. The backs had a closing / fastening pin that was glued on. If memory serves me correct they were numbered on the back. (An edition of 100 or 200 I think.) Again I'll check.

Best,

Jim

Prolific Collector
Subweb Admin
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Thu Jul 07, 2005 1:48 am 

8O  They really did make *all* of the factions in badges *and* in necklace form, too? *falls over* Greeeat. More incredibly hard-to-find stuff to track down. ;}

Though I'm curious about this Lady of Pain pin that's mentioned. This is one item I've never been able to see. If you do have one, or at least have a picture, please share! :D

(And by the way, if anyone has any they want to part with to a good home, feel free to PM me ; )

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Thu Jul 07, 2005 4:20 am 

Just don't worship the LoP pin ;)

Active Collector

Post Posted: Fri Jul 15, 2005 12:01 am 

Here's the Lady of Pain badge along with a smaller badge that was worn at GenCon by TSR staff:

The LoP badge was a "limited" run of 500. Each was autographed by Brom on the back. They are also numbered, mine being 431 of the 500. The badge should also have a small white sticker that has:

"c 1994 TSR, Inc.
All Rights Reserved
Made in Sigil"

How's that?

Best,

Jim

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Fri Jul 15, 2005 4:08 am 

JimK wrote:"c 1994 TSR, Inc.
All Rights Reserved
Made in Sigil"

That. Is. Awesome.  :P

Oh man, one of those would be -fantastic- to have. I'm jealous! :)

Active Collector

Post Posted: Fri Jul 15, 2005 10:20 am 

Since I've already had a couple of Private Messages I'll just go ahead and post this:

Yes, I'm willing to sell it.

I love Planescape but understand that this would make someone extremely happy.

Best,

Jim

Prolific Collector
Subweb Admin
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Fri Jul 15, 2005 2:53 pm 

Thank you *So* much for posting those. It's wonderful to actually be able to see these! I'd only heard about them, and they certainly look much more lovely than I'd imagined. The pictures are greatly appreciated! :)

I love Planescape but understand that this would make someone extremely happy.

Yes, yes they would.  8O

Next