DarkSun & PlaneScape-What To BUY?
Author

Active Collector

Post Posted: Sun Feb 27, 2005 3:14 pm 

I am interested in the DARKSUN and Planescape Campaign settings for playing purposes, not really collecting purposes at this time. What would ACAEUM members recommend purchasing to build my knowledge in the settings as some of my local players have stated interest in these two settings and I have always liked the "previews"--so to speak. I am in the "collecting stage" of only buying what I like,(which at this point I havent found anything I did not like)So, eventually I will buy to collect, so maybe next to a suggestion you could place a notation as "availability" in your own experience/opinion. EXAMPLE-- S3 Expedition to the Barrier Peaks--Great adventure with a sci-fi setting where characters/players must use caution and brainpower in a totally foriegn environment.--Avail:COMMONAny suggestions out there to guide me in the right direction?
Any comments are very appreciated! Thank you for your time!

Belial Devonshire, eversearching for the land of glory days.

Active Collector

Post Posted: Sun Feb 27, 2005 3:52 pm 

For Dark Sun you should get both boxed sets, and at least the Complete Gladiator's Handbook. Other great supplements include the Monstrous Compendium and DragonKings.

There were a lot of good adventures for Dark Sun, so just take your pick of any of them.

Planescape is great with the original box, Hellbound (good luck) and either Dead Gods or Faction War.

Prolific Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sun Feb 27, 2005 5:06 pm 

The Dark Sun stuff is so good, you should buy it all without any exception.  :lol:  
If you really have to narrow it down, go with Shingen's advice, it's good.

If you want to get a quick impression of the campaign world, I strongly suggest that you read the Prism Pentad novel series, at least the first book (Verdant passage). The other novels are'nt bad, but it's really Denning's Prism Pentad series, that shaped the look and feel of the world (in addition to Tim Brown's ground-breaking campaign material).

- "When the going gets weird, the Weird turn pro."

Hunter S. Thompson (July 18, 1937 - Feb 20, 2005)

Collector

Post Posted: Sun Feb 27, 2005 11:22 pm 

I never could get into Darksun (although I have alot of it,.. heh its cheap) but I would very highly recomend Planescape, and the three major books that will really help you set a tone for the game (the Blood War Trilogy).

You should start out with the original box set for the basic campaign outline and understand then pickup the various planes box sets (planes of Law, Chaos, blood war, ect..).  Inbetween picking up those I would look for the following:

The Fires of Dis:  Hands down my favorite adventure!
Factols Manifesto:  Great breakdown the factions and there goals.
Players Primer to the outlands:  Comes with a great CD that adds alot of player interaction and depth for newer players.
Modron March:  very nice adventure that expands on the PoL box set.
Dead Gods:  Not my favorite but good backstory
Monster Appendix 1-3:  Extra creature detail and more backstory
the Various Guides books:  Astral, Ethereal, Sigil.

Unlike mentioned above I would pass on Faction War.  It was one of the last items created for planescape and basicly kills off the flavor of the entire setting, I regret buying it and reading it.  There are many other adventures and guides (tails from the infinite staircase, hollowed ground, well of worlds, and so much more)

The only draw back to Planescape is that it is in high demand and you will pay new prices for most of the major box sets.

I am a newb

YIM  

Prolific Collector
Subweb Admin
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Mon Feb 28, 2005 12:01 am 

I'm probably just rehashing a lot of stuff already said, but I can't pass up any form of Planescape talk... As said, definitely the box sets, including the Primer to the Outlands. In the Cage: A Guide to Sigil, Planewalker's Handbook and the Factol's Manifesto are usually voted a must. The Monstrous Compendiums, of course, and the Astral and Etheral guides... Oh, and I'd recommend Faces of Evil: The Fiends just because it's fun to read. :}

Fires of Dis is definitely a good adventure, though you might want to skip Something Wild (yawn) and, as stated above, Faction War for the exact same reasons stated. It ruined a lot of what made Planescape fun. Pretend it never existed.

All of it pops up on eBay semi-regularly, though the prices fluxuate oddly, sometimes. Hellbound and Planes of Conflict are steadily the most expensive, of course.

Waterdeep? Never heard of it.

-Factol Pentar, Doomguard

Verbose Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Mon Feb 28, 2005 1:23 am 

Dark Sun would be my recommendation as well. . . not because I don't like Planescape (which I do), but I think it makes a better "regular" Campaign setting.  

Planescape is ideally suited to be added to any existing campaign and Sigil can be used as an occasional (or frequent) alternate setting.  And, of course, any outer planes adventures can be used with Planescape.  On top of that - even though Planescape is intended for characters of all levels, I think that it is geared more towards mid to high level characters.

And, as others mentioned, Dark Sun can be had for a relative pittance and Planescape is the most expensive setting out there.  Prices do fluctuate as Azurah mentioned - your best shot at getting something cheap is from a seller who doesn't sell internationally.  Seems that most international bidders (especially in Germany as Ralf can attest) are willing to lay down $40 - 75 on Box sets plus the $30.00 for shipping (Hellbound, Conflict and Chaos).

Oh, and I have a bunch of Dark Sun adventures, a Campaign setting, Psionics Handbook. . . PM me if you are interested.

"Gleemonex makes it feel like it's seventy-two degrees in your head... all... the... time! "

Prolific Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Mon Feb 28, 2005 6:08 am 

beyondthebreach wrote:Seems that most international bidders (especially in Germany as Ralf can attest) are willing to lay down $40 - 75 on Box sets plus the $30.00 for shipping (Hellbound, Conflict and Chaos).

That's true. Planescape stuff still sells like crazy over here. Prices of German auctions are even higher, because people raise their bid for the shipping costs they saved.  8O

Active Collector

Post Posted: Mon Feb 28, 2005 10:20 pm 

Thank you all for giving me a starting point, this will be great reading "new stuff" that isnt 3rd ed. Sorry if I offended any 3E fanatics

Now lets see,...... how do I do this "PM" thing......

Collector

Post Posted: Tue Apr 05, 2005 7:46 pm 

To Anyone who reads this reply.....

I have the entire Campaign Settings of PlaneScape and Dark Sun in either like new to Mint condition on all items.

I am currently looking to sell them as complete sets.  

In reference to the Planescape Settings....ALL THE BOXED Sets are either sealed, like new with no wrap and no damage and some are factory sealed.

The Dark Sun have minor wear if any (regarding the unsealed boxed sets only)  Everything else is new or like new condition.

Please contact me via E-mail or MSN Messenger if you are interested in buying the Planescape and/or Dark Sun Campaign Settings.  

Photos of the items can be provided if truly interested.
You can check my E-Bay seller and buyer's ratings on E-Bay under the username....Randycom.

Thank you for your interest in these settings.

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Tue Apr 05, 2005 11:22 pm 

Dark Sun was actually re-released in 3.5 ed in Dungeon and Dragon Magazines so you do not have to put up with the OLD!! system anymore;)

Games can get you through times of no money but money can not get you through times of no games!!

Prolific Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Wed Apr 06, 2005 4:52 am 

Blackmoor wrote:Dark Sun was actually re-released in 3.5 ed in Dungeon and Dragon Magazines so you do not have to put up with the OLD!! system anymore;)

You might want to play D&D, but I'd prefer the "old" boxed sets a thousand times over a 3.5 conversion from DRAGON magazine.

Randycom, if your DARK SUN / PLANESCAPE collection is complete and really mint, you will fetch a decent amount for them both. I don't have my notes here, but iirc the DARK SUN line should go for anywhere from $500+ and PLANESCAPE somewhere around $800+ (sell it internationally, prices outside US are much higher!). It all depends on completeness and condition.

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Wed Apr 06, 2005 5:39 am 

Ralf Toth wrote:but iirc the DARK SUN line should go for anywhere from $500+ and PLANESCAPE somewhere around $800+.

i don't mean to sound like a total and utter dork here, but what is "iirc" meant to mean? i thought i knew all these lil abbreviations, but there are obviously some i still don't, even after all these years :D

Al

Are we nearly there yet?

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Wed Apr 06, 2005 5:55 am 

killjoy32 wrote:
Ralf Toth wrote:but iirc the DARK SUN line should go for anywhere from $500+ and PLANESCAPE somewhere around $800+.

i don't mean to sound like a total and utter dork here, but what is "iirc" meant to mean? i thought i knew all these lil abbreviations, but there are obviously some i still don't, even after all these years :D

Al

I don't know...'If I recall correctly' perhaps :?:
I don't know half of the abreviations on here.

This week I've been mostly eating . . . The white ones with the little red flecks in them.

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Wed Apr 06, 2005 6:18 am 

mbassoc2003 wrote:I don't know...'If I recall correctly' perhaps :?:

well that sounds about right :) i will go with that one :D cheers ian !

Are we nearly there yet?

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Wed Apr 06, 2005 10:56 pm 

The best part about Dark sun is the ease of use when running adventures.  the module adventures came with flip charts and handouts and consumed alot of time, a very well developed world with lots of room for imagination and adventure.

The Planescape if very abstract and difficult for some to grasp.  It is also more difficult to run advetures in the whole setting but very unique if you pick one and use it.  Much more stuff and very valuble.

In my opinion Dark Sun is a better Role-playing game and planescape is a better read.

Good Luck

Games can get you through times of no money but money can not get you through times of no games!!

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Thu Apr 07, 2005 2:44 am 

Dark Sun is better for the "average d&d player" (ie hack, adventure, loot, bandits, etc).

Planescape is better if players like weurd setting and constant variety...but PS is muy expensive!!  8O

If you're just using it to play, why not just buy the books as PDFs?

$4.95 per book, no worries about damage.

There are no bad editions of D&D, just Boring Players and Unimaginative DMs.

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Thu Apr 07, 2005 7:22 am 

mbassoc2003 wrote:
killjoy32 wrote:

Al

I don't know...'If I recall correctly' perhaps :?:

IIRC=If I remember correctly.
IMO= In my opinion.
IMHO=In my Honest Opinion.
WTF?!=What the F*ck?! :wink:

If I missed any, please feel free to add the list.

"He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you." -Neitzche

Prolific Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Thu Apr 07, 2005 8:13 am 

LOL = Laughing Out Loud
LMAO = Laughing My Ass Off
ROTFLMAO = Rolling On The Floor Laughing My Ass Off

:wink:

"It's mint, it's a first print, and it's mine!"

KA-POW

"Not anymore".

YIM  
Next